• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

The only time I've been on a team (PC) that talked regularly was this freak match where everyone on my team suddenly decided to play as Torbjörn. For the entire match we were all just laughing at how stupid it was.

We ended up losing by a hair, but it was fun just to annoy the piss out of the other team.

Yup, 30 years of games and people are still too dumb to get near objectives. I look forward to competent randoms in 2157. Tracer is an absolute monster right now just for her ability to distract the fuck out of the idiots. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen a Reinhardt fruitlessly chasing her off in the middle of nowhere instead of being useful.

Not everyone has been gaming as long as you, much less online games. The game is incredibly popular, a lot of new players to this kind of game will jump in and will be terrible for a while.

I asked this earlier today but it got lost in the hype-speed of this thread: How do you mute people on PS4? I had one game where this players mic was nothing but brain melting feedback and the only thing I figured out to do was go into options and very slowly turn down the Player Audio volume.

I don't know how Zenyatta managed to survive beta with his health and movement speed the way they are

He's not as good of a single target healer as Mercy. He's not as good of an AOE healer as Lucio. Literally all he has is his ultimate. All three other healers are much more survivable. His damage is a joke because he dies if a leaf hits him at the wrong angle.

Sym isn't a healer

You must have only come across bad Zens

It still proves baffling that a crappy 5 second double kill can be considered play of the game but any kind of good healing or effort on Mercy's behalf gets pushed to the sidelines. The ONLY time I've been play of the game as Mercy was a four-person revive, so stupid.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MgQ2NFf.gif

kljMPAj.png

SDCowboy

Sym isn't a healer

You must have only come across bad Zens

There is a reason why almost nobody plays as Zen even though he is ridiculously cool. He flat sucks right now. He's a healer, and his heals suck. His DPS is OK, but that doesn't matter because he almost dies if someone gives him a stern look from across the map.

You must have come across some bad teams if they're letting Zenyatta do anything

"support" isn't limited to healing. If you have a functioning team they shouldn't be so dependent on having their diapers changed that they can't keep themselves moving and damaging between health packs and orbs. Also, Zen can burn people down pretty quick as long as they're not in his face.

There is a reason why almost nobody plays as Zen even though he is ridiculously cool. He flat sucks right now. He's a healer, and his heals suck. His DPS is OK, but that doesn't matter because he almost dies if someone gives him a stern look from across the map.

He doesn't suck, people suck at using him.

DrArchon

It still proves baffling that a crappy 5 second double kill can be considered play of the game but any kind of good healing or effort on Mercy's behalf gets pushed to the sidelines. The ONLY time I've been play of the game as Mercy was a four-person revive, so stupid.

Supports are the silent winners. All the Bastions and Hanzos out there can have their PotG, but you know deep down that the only reason you won that match is because you were there.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There is a reason why almost nobody plays as Zen even though he is ridiculously cool. He flat sucks right now. He's a healer, and his heals suck. His DPS is OK, but that doesn't matter because he almost dies if someone gives him a stern stare from across the map.

You must not have watched many pro teams. Zenyatta is a fixture in pro team; he's actually incredibly powerful in the right hands.

X-Frame

Lucio has to be top-tier right now, right?

AoE healing, or AoE speed boost, or an AoE mega-shield boost ultimate that instantly allows the team to go ham, plus a primary weapon that is no slouch with good damage and knockback utility.

I just started playing him so I am sure I am just scratching the surface but he seems amazing.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Every play of the game involves me being killed.

Zenyatta can be incredible if well protected, otherwise he's very easy to counter (even at the back) and won't do much. Still, teams that can keep their Zen alive will absolutely wreck, his debuff orb is really powerfull, people melt away with it on.

AoE healing, or AoE speed boost, or an AoE mega-shield boost ultimate that instantly allows the team to go ham, plus a primary weapon that is no slouch with good damage and knockback utility.

I just started playing him so I am sure I am just scratching the surface but he seems amazing.

Lúcio is incredible, you'll carry your team many times.

Tawpgun

He's essential in top tier play.

Ramirez

Tried playing some with a friend earlier, he's new to the game and I'm assuming it was matching us based on my skill, lol. We were getting slaughtered, and not much fun was had. :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm not a pro nor do I play against pros, so I don't really care how he performs for them.

You said no one uses him because he sucks. I was disproving your point.

If you're going to make a comment like "he flat sucks," you should probably care just a little about how effective he is in pro teams.

Well if he's ridiculously hard for the average player to use, then that's still a design/function issue.

Well I'm not a pro nor do I play against pros, so I don't really care how he performs for them.

his difficulty is shown as 3-star for a reason.

he's high risk, high reward but, as with all the characters, has situations and match-ups that are disadvantageous or just downright bad.

I don't subscribe to any character being OP or too weak, it ultimately comes down to player skill and the in-game situation.

SDCowboy

You said no one uses him because he sucks. I was disproving your point.

If you're going to make a comment like "he flat sucks," you should probably care just a little about how effective he is in pro teams.

Right, and I addressed that. If the player essentially needs to be a pro and/or the team needs to be as such for Zen to be usable then, IMO, that isn't a very well designed character. I don't see how a character handles in the hands a pro gamer matters as opposed to the average player. I get he has a max difficulty rating, but I still think he's a bit hard to play or requires too good a team for most uses.

Right, and I addressed that. If the player essentially needs to be a pro and/or the team needs to be as such for Zen to be usable then, IMO, that isn't a very well designed character. I don't see how a character handles in the hands a pro gamer matters as opposed to the average player.
There's nothing wrong with characters having varying skill floors. Zen being hard to use isn't a design flaw.

That's like saying non hitscan weapons are badly designed because they're harder to use.

holyconfessor

Neo Member
I'm absolutely loving this. I played the open beta for a bit but have really been putting time into this now. Tried Reaper for the first time and had a blast with him. Decided to spend a few dollars on some loot boxes and really lucked out :D

Hyun Sai

Right, and I addressed that. If the player essentially needs to be a pro and/or the team needs to be as such for Zen to be usable then, IMO, that isn't a very well designed character. I don't see how a character handles in the hands a pro gamer matters as opposed to the average player.

Zenyatta is fine. I'm holding my own with him despite the fact that I never played the beta and already had several play of the game. Perhaps it's just his style that doesn't suits you, that can happen.

"support" isn't limited to healing. If you have a functioning team they shouldn't be so dependent on having their diapers changed that they can't keep themselves moving and damaging between health packs and orbs. Also, Zen can burn people down pretty quick as long as they're not in his face.

He doesn't suck, people suck at using him.

No. He sucks. His Harmony orb is ridiculously underpowered compared to other healing, you can't put it on yourself so you can't duel in a side flank, and his ult requires too much co-ordination for a pug.

His only saving grace is putting up a discord orb and one shotting a non-tank with his alt-fire. At which point why don't you just roll McCree and do that a million times better?

I asked this earlier today but it got lost in the hype-speed of this thread: How do you mute people on PS4? I had one game where this players mic was nothing but brain melting feedback and the only thing I figured out to do was go into options and very slowly turn down the Player Audio volume.
Bit of a pain, but pause, pick social, then the group tab, then the offending player, one of the options is to mute.

jacobs34

Once you know what Lucio's mechanics are it only takes a couple of matches to figure him out. It took me longer to be able to effectively play as Mercy than it did Lucio. These things are completely subjective.

my stupid amazon order of the game was delayed and i went to see if i could redbox it for a night while waiting but they don't have it

nooooo

I'm absolutely loving this. I played the open beta for a bit but have really been putting time into this now. Tried Reaper for the first time and had a blast with him. Decided to spend a few dollars on some loot boxes and really lucked out :D

Fuckin' A. So that's what you get when you put in real money? This shits rigged yo' You didn't luck out.

No. He sucks. His Harmony orb is ridiculously underpowered compared to other healing, you can't put it on yourself so you can't duel in a side flank, and his ult requires too much co-ordination for a pug.

His only saving grace is putting up a discord orb and one shotting a non-tank with his alt-fire. At which point why don't you just roll McCree and do that a million times better?

This tells me you really don't get how to use Zen lol

Zen could stand a buff, yeah. At the moment, the level of difficulty required to use him well doesn't correspond to the rewards you get for doing so. I'd either make him easier to use, or make him stronger.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I've used him pretty effectively during the beta and I'm by no means a pro player. He is clutch at pushing or defending objectives with his ult, which effectively makes his entire team untouchable for 6 seconds. I have won games single handedly by popping his ult at crucial times, turning the tide of a fight.

His DPS is also incredibly high. He can melt tanks, as long as he stands far enough in the back that they can't get to him. His heal-over-time can keep low health heroes like Tracer and Reaper going for ages, and Discord basically takes an opponent out of the game, because they either get killed or they have to run away and break line of sight.

He has a lot of utility and high DPS, which is why his mobility is low. If you can't position properly then yes, you shouldn't play him. But if you come up against a good Zenyatta, you'll see that he brings a lot to the table.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Another loot box with 3x grey, that's like 6 grey crates today :/

Rezbit

I haven't been following this closely, but the hype bug is starting to bite me.

How is performance on oldish PC's?

For 60fps I'm running stuff like models and textures on high, and lowered stuff like shadow and reflections to medium on a 2500k and 560ti combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom