• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piers

I mostly like playing Mercy but Lucio is pretty good too.

Zenyatta is flat out underpowered though and Symmetra, while great in her own right, is not a support. It's just gonna wind up like HotS where support quickly became healer and characters like Tassadar and Tyrande had to be readjusted to suit that.

I wonder if it's to do with the speed at which people can die and respawn in the match, but also characters like Tracer who can easily catch up to targets and finish them off.

Basically, scampering to health packs isn't as easy in this game compared to other FPS.

Could someone tell me the appeal of D.va I see some people mentioning her as something they love to play as..And I don't get it, I love her design, I've tried playing her. But I just feel like she's pretty darn shit? She practically needs to be next to anyone to be able to kill them due to her horrible accuracy. Her slowdown during firing is super crippling and just allows anyone to easily run away from her when she starts attacking. Yeah she's mobile and her ult can wipe a team if used at the right time. But in general, during matches I just feel like she have much of an impact?

One of my favorite characters. Once you get good with her you'll be able to fly fluidly around the map... up above everyone to break lines, get to Widow/Hanzo perches, punch through groups of enemies and generally annoy the hell out of the other team. She's deceptively mobile when you know how to use her movement.

Her cannons are great at dealing close up damage after a thrust towards enemies. Dont bother from distance... they don't do anything then. I've nuked multiple times in a life, calling down a new mech instantly after the multi kills over and over. Use your deflect shield to negate everything from Bastions to Pharahs.... but watch out for Zhara, Mei and Winston... they'll all take your lunch money if you're not careful! Everyone else should be easy work.

HariKari

This game on PC already sounds like a nightmare of absurdly good people and probable cheating.

• The game is really generous with hitboxes. Too generous, IMO.
  • People will blame anything and everything but themselves.
  • Premades are pub stomping right now. Pretty sure the MM doesn't take into account groups.
  • It's early. People are playing shitty lineups and getting rolled.
  • There's some hacking for sure, but it's overblown
and lastly
  • No one is reinventing the wheel here. It's a shooter. So for myself, that's a genre I've been playing for fifteen years now. Skills degrade but the mental side is still there, and it doesn't take long to get back up to speed.

I hope they put in a solo ranked mode. That'd be nice. 6 randoms, but 6 randoms that want to win.

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
That Mercy skin ...

f7tRANO.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hearing Troy Baker as McCree makes me want him has the protagonist in the new Red Dead game.

Banzai

Got that POTG with Lucio where I push two people off a cliff at once in Numbani <3. Too bad the clip didn't go on a bit longer because a third followed just seconds after.

Stormus

Having a great time so far. My win rate with Lucio is around ~80%. Mercy is great, especially when you have a Reinhardt or someone meaty for single target heals, however I think Lucio is the better all around healer support.

I really dug this during the beta, pre-ordered and stayed hype up until release.

But yeah, it's a LOT less fun since launch.

-The microtransactions (what was I thinking, believing they wouldn't try and milk players for extra $ after release).

-Matchmaking is a living nightmare.

-Hacking. Overblown, for sure. But the fact that it exists in spite of Blizzards supposedly amazing (but intrusive) anti-cheat says everything that needs to be said.

-No voice communication (or essentially none at least). It just turned into every other FPS now. Total silence, no teamwork. (Not the games fault, the players, but still the players are definitely part of the overall experience).

I think this game's honeymoon phase may be extremely short for some people.

liezryou

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it seems like items/loot are consistent throughout all regions. Guess they learned something from all the people complaining in hearthstone.

HariKari

-The microtransactions (what was I thinking, believing they wouldn't try and milk players for extra $ after release).

There are no new microtransactions. The system is as it was in the beta. You can buy crates for a chance at skins, but that's it. That's about as generous as modern games get.

The game has no active anti-cheat that I'm aware of.

There are no new microtransactions. The system is as it was in the beta. You can buy crates for a chance at skins, but that's it. That's about as generous as modern games get.

The game has no active anti-cheat that I'm aware of.

Oh crazy I don't remember having the option to buy loot crates in the closed or open beta.

The game absolutely has an anti-cheat. It's asinine to suggest that a modern AAA 'competitive' fps wouldn't have some form of anti-cheat.

So... everyone almost always votes for themselves if they can right? Or is it just me?

If I spend the game getting dominated by someone, I'll vote for them. No hesitation. I generally only vote for myself if I feel I really did exceptionally well.

Oh crazy I don't remember having the option to buy loot crates in the closed or open beta.

The game absolutely has an anti-cheat. It's asinine to suggest that a modern AAA 'competitive' fps wouldn't have some form of anti-cheat.

It definitely didn't. I guess he just meant that... there's nothing available now for microtransactions that wasn't available period in beta? idk. For what it's worth, the crates being sold for money was announced as the plan before launch.

Sn4ke_911

So... everyone almost always votes for themselves if they can right? Or is it just me?

Nah, i always show the healers some love. I mean it depends if i got upvoted a lot i vote for myself too sure but normally Mercy and Lucio come first.

HariKari

You couldn't because they were going to reset things. They aren't milking anyone, unless you have beef with putting in gambling players can't resist, which I can understand. The chance to get skins hasn't been messed with; I got 3 legendaries in 17 levels. Once you get duplicates of stuff, currency stacks up. It's nice.

In exchange for a shortcut to cosmetic gear, you get free maps and heroes. Worth it.

There's probably rudimentary injection detection and file scanning, but nothing like Fair Fight in BF4.

If I spend the game getting dominated by someone, I'll vote for them. No hesitation. I generally only vote for myself if I feel I really did exceptionally well.

Heehee I'm about the opposite, generally vote for myself, but only vote for others when they do exceptional (or healers).

Doesn't really impact anything right?

Matt Frost

The Widowmakers I have met have certainly not been cheating,they have just been spending the last couple years of their lives playing snipers. Probably in TF2 as well.

I doubt there is much cheating going on... maybe 1/100... also remember than when someone is better than you, most say they are cheating... in the mind is the only way they can be better...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

you could not buy them in the beta, but blizzard was really open about the way they would implement them.

But how does it change the game for you? You can still play the game exactly like during the beta games, no need to spend 1 cent.

You couldn't because they were going to reset things. They aren't milking anyone, unless you have beef with putting in gambling players can't resist, which I can understand. The chance to get skins hasn't been messed with; I got 3 legendaries in 17 levels. Once you get duplicates of stuff, currency stacks up. It's nice.

In exchange for a shortcut to cosmetic gear, you get free maps and heroes. Worth it.

There's probably rudimentary injection detection and file scanning, but nothing like Fair Fight in BF4.

It's fine for cosmetic crates in CS:GO because the game is $20.

This is a full price game.

I'll take cosmetic microtransactions any day of the week if it means no grinding for characters/weapons/skills.

Sn4ke_911

That feel when to save your team by Reinhardt suicide-charging a D.VAs explosion Ultimate off a cliff.

Ha the same happend with me last night, i played D.Va, used my ult and some Reinhardt fucker charge me and him and my mech off the damn cliff.

Moments like those make this game SO MUCH FUN.

Maybe it was you? lol it was on the Ilios map or whatever it is called.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
They all had themed names.

Also, Mercy makes *any* team better. They need some other real healers because right now, every other choice is inferior.
Still learning the game, but Mercy seems to struggle if there's a lot of incoming damage spread out. I'm still trying to figure out how to predict what those situations are, and for those it might help if someone can spawn in as Lucio for a least one go, but otherwise yes there's a reason Mercy is the de facto healer in the game.

The game is $40. Not full price. It sucks that console owners are forced the the "deluxe edition" because of console licensing, but that doesn't change that this is a $40 game. Not $20 but also an entirely new engine, entirely new assets, entirely new characters and maps.. Something CSGO couldn't say when it launched at $20.

Thoraxes

Ha the same happend with me last night, i played D.Va, used my ult and some Reinhardt fucker charge me and him and my mech off the damn cliff.

Moments like those make this game SO MUCH FUN.

Maybe it was you? lol it was on the Ilios map or whatever it is called.

That may have been me, haha.

Kent

I'm a big fan of Zenyatta now, but boy does he get shutout by Widow and Hanzo pretty handily. Considering the prevalence of those two characters, because everyone has to be a sniper I have to wonder if maybe Blizzard should maybe make him a little tankier or something. He has to be upfront to maintain orbs and having mostly shields as health serves him well in that regard, but I shouldn't be afraid to turn a corner every time a sniper is in the game.

As much as I love Zenyatta, it's basically not worth playing as him currently unless there are no snipers on the enemy team, as both Widowmaker and Hanzo pretty much hard-counter him. One fully-charged bodyshot will kill him from full health - the only other character in the game with this weakness is Tracer, and it's at least justifiable for her due to her extreme mobility.

Zenyatta has none. While he can function quite well as a tankbuster, between his low health and needing to keep line of sight for both his healing and his debuff, he's basically only playable in a game with an enemy sniper if he has some means of having his max effective health buffed (Torbjorn or Symmetra) or he can consistently and reliably be behind a tank or otherwise protected. The latter of which probably isn't going to happen, even on the most coordinated of teams.

It really sucks. I think thematically and design-wise, he's one of my favorite characters, but he's basically unplayable due to the hard-counters if there's an enemy sniper, which there will basically always be.

They could give him 25 more shields and he'd be playable if there's an enemy sniper - they'd at least have to get a headshot for an instant kill.

While my two friends and I were in a group and voice chat yesterday, we had this one Mercy player random who just kinda slid right into our groove without a single word.
He was basically on point at all times and made our three man team into a 4 man team. And we never said a single thing to him.

Someone with a support mindset can play support without needing to really communicate directly with their team. This, however, assumes that their team is at least fairly competent, but it makes you really appreciate it when you get even that one random Pharah who knows exactly what she's doing.

you could not buy them in the beta, but blizzard was really open about the way they would implement them.

But how does it change the game for you? You can still play the game exactly like during the beta games, no need to spend 1 cent.

Because it's preying on negative habits of their customers. It's really a sign of the times when I have to explain why microtransactions are bad.

StayDead

I have not seen a single Bastion POTG and I have seen two Mercy ones AND a Roadhog,which I have both never seen before.

I also got a couple of POTGs myself while playing Pharah,but her Q is basically "Press Q to POTG" so I wasn'T all that happy about it....

I squeed

I got some Pharah POTG's without ulting. Felt sooo good.

HariKari

So, what's the problem, exactly? Would you prefer the skins be locked behind a progression system? Because that's the exact same thing, just by another name. The only difference here is people are given the chance to buy chances at purely cosmetic items. Literally nothing changes for you. You aren't forced to buy anything. Your gameplay isn't affected in any way.

Why couldn't you get just as much value out of the second one? If one Widow can do work that doesn't mean the other Widow is automatically incapable of doing so. Her charged headshots do 300 damage each; that isn't just useful for killing squishies. She has priority targets but she can and should be shooting indiscriminately otherwise. If you have two doing that you can make things hell for the other team such that close-in team-fighting doesn't even figure into it. You snowball and it's a rout.

Obviously, I'm speaking more in a general pub sense, not comp or higher-level play, where teams are far more consistent at unleashing the right counters. I'm certainly not suggesting that this is some optimal way to play, or that having two people instantly queue up as Widowmaker and refusing to change for the rest of the game en route to a blowout isn't annoying - but you can definitely make it work in some situations in pubs, just like you could any number of other unorthodox comps so long as they're built around a dependable tank and healer.

I mean you can justify any comp in the entire game with some flimsy excuse but that doesn't change that double widown will be severely kneecapping your team's ability to do proactive things unless they pick off 2 members of the enemy team first. And if they are getting the picks you're probably better off having the second widow be a McCree or Soldier or something else to specifically counter the enemy comp. Technically yeah you can win with anything especially at lower levels. But as you said, the inky times you should have double widow is if two players refuse to switch off her.

Are CS GO's cosmetics available for free in game? I thought they came in crates you had to pay to unlock.

Anything you want in Overwatch can be obtained purely through play, and short of 'I want everything,' it's all relatively obtainable.

Asd202

So how are the aim sensitivity settings on PS4. I've heard that there not really good for characters like Tracer or Genji. Mainly fast turning around after using a skill.

Mupod

Yeah I feel like the others (other than Lucio who is mediocre imo) are barely support at all. Symmetra is support only because of her portal, if you want to call that support. Otherwise she has... turrets? Sounds like defense to me... It's like they got to the end of development and said "oh crap, we only have 1-2 actual support characters. Let's just shuffle these others over to the support pile and give them one arbitrary ability and call them support."

Zenyatta, yeah, I don't know what they were thinking there. He has a weak ass single target, aimed heal and a bubble. Or, a charged shot if you want to get gibbed I guess.

Symmetra made more sense as a support when her shields were 50. But even so it's hard to think of her as exactly the same role as Torbjorn because he's actually a pretty effective fighter on his own, especially his ult. Symmetra can do a ton of damage but absolutely not by herself out in the open. She's more about 'burn down that distracted Genji who flanked us' or harassing people hiding behind shields. And her ultimate is 100% team support. So I don't know if I'd place her in the defense category even though she is a defensive character.

Second, if you think Lucio is mediocre you should take a look at how often he gets picked in high level play. I'll save you some time - it's pretty much every match. He's better than Mercy at group healing and WAY better at survival and damage output even ignoring his speed boosts.

Zenyatta is weird because you don't play him to be a healbot, you play him to murder tanks. The charged shot has its uses but most of the time you want to discord and headshot people with LMB. He's fun to me mainly because it's hilarious 2 shotting everybody as the 'healer' but you need to deal with his severe flimsiness and lack of mobility. Unlike the other two healers there are situations where you will be forced off of him (snipers). But when he works, he really works.

On the subject of his heal look at it this way - on Lucio people need to be next to you. On Mercy you're putting yourself in harm's way, the beam gives away where you are even if you're around a corner. On Zenyatta you can heal anybody you can see, safely. Not saying he doesn't need tweaking but I kind of like him as a glass cannon and I don't want to see that nerfed to make him more of a pure healing type.

Thoraxes

Because it's preying on negative habits of their customers. It's really a sign of the times when I have to explain why microtransactions are bad.

I think they're bad when content is locked behind them, and there's no alternative method to unlocking whatever it is.

I'm okay with the compromise int his game though. It's 100% optional and stuff I plan on unlocking as I keep playing without ever putting another $0.10 into the game. And honestly, if people want to spend money on something, why not let them? Especially when it's not pay to win.

No real money transaction during Beta makes sense, you are complaining about something optional that doesn't affect you in the slightlest.

Blizzard bans in waves they gather the info make sure said accounts are cheating and then proceed to ban as many accounts as needed in waves.

IbukiLordSA

Feels so good when you get a PoTG with Mercy. Played with a friend of mine, was buffing and healing when a Widowmaker 1 hit killed him, I revived him, he popped the super, I buffed him and 5 kills to the enemy team, only one left was the Widowmaker but we won the game there. For some reason the game gave me the PoTG :) won't argue.

The Mercy/Soldier team up seems pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom