• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

They all had themed names.

Also, Mercy makes *any* team better. They need some other real healers because right now, every other choice is inferior.

I mostly like playing Mercy but Lucio is pretty good too.

Zenyatta is flat out underpowered though and Symmetra, while great in her own right, is not a support. It's just gonna wind up like HotS where support quickly became healer and characters like Tassadar and Tyrande had to be readjusted to suit that.

I don't usually see someone playing Winston, but when I do, I drop a flashbang and finish that sucker in one second flat.

Regards,
McCree

P.S. I'd suggest picking a better tank next time.

I don't usually see someone playing Winston, but when I do, I drop a flashbang and finish that sucker in one second flat.

Regards,
McCree

Isn't Winston secretly the best tank?

But yeah, he gets eaten by McCree. :(

But then, so does just about anyone... that stun->fan->roll->fan will eat through any health bar, unless you're behind a reinhardt shield.

Klyka

Banned
This game on PC already sounds like a nightmare of absurdly good people and probable cheating.

Nah.

It's just that a lot of us are above average players cause we have been playing games for a long time so our hidden matchmaking rating is high-ish and we get matched with really good people who have thousands of hours in TF2 like shooters and such.

The community is huge, there is a fair opponent for everyone

RoadHog is so damn fun

My friend is legit the best Roadhog player you can see right now.

I wish I had footage of him.

He gets 80+ hook accuracy and 4-5 gold medals every single match

This game on PC already sounds like a nightmare of absurdly good people and probable cheating.

It's not that bad. The overwhelming majority of my matches playing solo on PC were with and against people just as mediocre as I am. Occassionally you'll run into some absolutely superb players, and some people have a habit to leap to cheating accusations, but i think that by and large it's probably a reasonably fair playing field, if not always an absolutely level one.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Game runs like a dream on my laptop!

13235552_1088953871161260_2716558121761893459_o.jpg

Boogdud

I mostly like playing Mercy but Lucio is pretty good too.

Zenyatta is flat out underpowered though and Symmetra, while great in her own right, is not a support. It's just gonna wind up like HotS where support quickly became healer and characters like Tassadar and Tyrande had to be readjusted to suit that.

Yeah I feel like the others (other than Lucio who is mediocre imo) are barely support at all. Symmetra is support only because of her portal, if you want to call that support. Otherwise she has... turrets? Sounds like defense to me... It's like they got to the end of development and said "oh crap, we only have 1-2 actual support characters. Let's just shuffle these others over to the support pile and give them one arbitrary ability and call them support."

Zenyatta, yeah, I don't know what they were thinking there. He has a weak ass single target, aimed heal and a bubble. Or, a charged shot if you want to get gibbed I guess.

Isn't Winston secretly the best tank?

But yeah, he gets eaten by McCree. :(

But then, so does just about anyone... that stun->fan->roll->fan will eat through any health bar, unless you're behind a reinhardt shield.

When I play McCree, there's really only one hero I fear: Roadhog. He seems to be the best counter against offensive heroes. McCree does quite little damage on him, while Roadhog himself can end McCree in seconds.

Dunno about Winston. His shield barrier is easily destroyed by a Bastion, and he does chip damage, even compared to other tanks. Although I suppose what his weapon lacks in damage, it makes up for with it's auto-aiming.

I think people are generally a bit too harsh on hero choices in quick play, but it should improve once ranked play comes in.

There's nothing inherently terrible about two Widowmakers or 1 Widow and 1 Hanzo on a team. Some people feel burned because those tend to be pretty solitary classes and a lot of players aren't really playing the objective just yet, so you lose out on bodies to stick on the point. But they can be used to great effect.

Also there are some situations where Widow can be extremely useful on offense, like if you need to break a chokepoint or turret heroes are giving your team problems. People shouldn't see a Widow pick on offense and immediately think the worst of it, especially on maps like Watchpoint: Gibraltar where she can be very strong in breaking through that first choke.

Widow on Offense is more common then on defense. Picks are more valuable on Offense because making the enemy a player down (Especially an important one like Mercy or Lucio) can really help out your push and take a crucial objective, whereas picking someone on defense mainly just means you're stalling them for a 30 seconds or so while the team waits for them to respawn.

That being said, there is NO situation where you're going to want more then one. Double widow just hurts your teamfighting too hard and you shouldn't be getting much more value out of the second one. Plus it means their widow counter is going to be getting double value. You would have to get 2 picks in rapid succession to make up for the fact that you're effectively down 2 men during an all-in objective fight since Widow is trash at those. In the situations where Widow's good one Widown should be plenty provided they aren't terrible. A second one just adds redundancy.

Yeah I feel like the others (other than Lucio who is mediocre imo) are barely support at all. Symmetra is support only because of her portal, if you want to call that support. Otherwise she has... turrets? Sounds like defense to me... It's like they got to the end of development and said "oh crap, we only have 1-2 actual support characters. Let's just shuffle these others over to the support pile and give them one arbitrary ability and call them support."

Zenyatta, yeah, I don't know what they were thinking there. He has a weak ass single target, aimed heal and a bubble. Or, a charged shot if you want to get gibbed I guess.

His debuff+m1 is brutal. He's flimsy, sure, but he thoroughly outclasses every other support in damage. Hook up with a torbjorn for that armor buff and you can tear through people, especially if you can hide behind some of the beefier characters on your team.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Nah.

It's just that a lot of us are above average players cause we have been playing games for a long time so our hidden matchmaking rating is high-ish and we get matched with really good people who have thousands of hours in TF2 like shooters and such.

If the MMR is based on win ratio more so than anything yeah.
Had a massive streak when we met them so I assume it's blizz trying to nail the rating by jumping up and down between skilled and lesser skilled players to predict player composition ratio

Klyka

Banned
If the MMR is based on win ratio more so than anything yeah.
Had a massive streak when we met them so I assume it's blizz trying to nail the rating by jumping up and down between skilled and lesser skilled players to predict player composition ratio

yeah it's like, day 1, we need a whole week or more for proper MMR to have kicked in

also,you are a way too good player,you need to be pro :p

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
So I finally got around to playing Lucio. Holy moly. Best support class in the game bar none. I can now see why he's so highly regarded in competitive play. So much versatility and effectiveness.

After joining off some of my other friends, I can tell you there's a fairly strong matchmaking algorithm that will pair you against people that are of roughly similar skill to you. I joined off a friend and I thought the two teams were trolling because the enemy was just sitting outside our spawn away from any potential cover and not really doing much. As it turns out they were actually playing but seemed to have difficulty moving and attacking at the same time or something.

When I play McCree, there's really only one hero I fear: Roadhog. He seems to be the best counter against offensive heroes. McCree does quite little damage on him, while Roadhog himself can end McCree in seconds.

Dunno about Winston. His shield barrier is easily destroyed by a Bastion, and he does chip damage, even compared to other tanks. Although I suppose what his weapon lacks in damage, it makes up for with it's auto-aiming.

That bubble is pretty flimsy, but it can piss off snipers pretty well. I'm not exactly sure what Winston's game is, but I think supposedly he was the most played tank in high level play during beta. I never totally got it either, I'm way more comfortable as literally any other, but I don't want to discount the choices of better players.

Yeah I feel like the others (other than Lucio who is mediocre imo) are barely support at all. Symmetra is support only because of her portal, if you want to call that support. Otherwise she has... turrets?

And shields(+25 regenerating health), which for some reason people really underestimate the impact of - it's a real boon to squishies. I wish you could re-apply it though, seems like you can't or there is a hidden cool down.

Pics_nao

Played my first game as a sniper yesterday. Surprised at how easy it was for me to snipe and get kills with Hanzo without using my ult. On consoles I can't snipe for shit

And shields, which for some reason people really underestimate the impact of - it's a real boon to squishies. I wish you could re-apply it though, seems like you can't or there is a hidden cool down.

You can reapply if they die. Otherwise, it's not necessary. If the shield is depleted, it'll regenerate quickly once they get out of the line of fire.

D-Va just wrecks noobs. Fly to their face and watch them scramble in panic while you shoot them to bits.

It's also always super satisfying to deny a pharah, mccree, or roadhog ult with her defense matrix. Doesn't last the full duration, but provides your team with the space to scatter or shut it down.

Tecnniqe

Banned
yeah it's like, day 1, we need a whole week or more for proper MMR to have kicked in

also,you are a way too good player,you need to be pro :p
I just hope they don't use the classic chess rating system. Once that system nails you down its infuriatingly hard to move up or down even if you win consistently.

Unless they do it right. I don't know, there's no visual indicator.

Gonna git gud with Hanzo. I've decided.
If I get nab rank so be it. Arrow and Ryuu ga waga everyone run away-ti so fun.

Also nothing beats out sniping widow.

Klyka

Banned
And shields(+25 regenerating health), which for some reason people really underestimate the impact of - it's a real boon to squishies. I wish you could re-apply it though, seems like you can't or there is a hidden cool down.

You don't need to reapply it cause it never goes away until they die. It just refills again.

Peff

Just carried a payload with Lucio almost by myself, 3 minutes and a half on objective.

Feels good man. Good teamwork on clearing the way helped, of course. It's nice when a team of randoms cooridnates like this.

Boogdud

Gonna git gud with Hanzo. I've decided.
If I get nab rank so be it. Arrow and Ryuu ga waga everyone run away-ti so fun.

Also nothing beats out sniping widow.

I love Hanzo, but he's not out sniping widow, unless she doesn't see you. His arrows do major damage, but if you get in a snipe war with widowmaker it's over unless you land a lucky one while popping out. Hit scan vs travel time and all that.

Also, nothing is better than headshotting someone with the sonic arrow completely by accident.

"let's see what's behind that wall BING! D'oh! sorry (not sorry)!"

What's a good hero to play as a 36 year old scrub who really wants to get into the game and help the team? Thanks gaf!

Reinhardt, just point your shield at the enemy position and advance in front of your team or protect the stationary shooters (Bastion, turrets).

The big guy is never unwelcome and often a clutch. If you keep pace, you'll rarely be alone so if you get jumped by the enemy, you can usually rely on teammates to swat them away (but flail that big hammer just for laughs when you get a lone flanker.)

What's a good hero to play as a 36 year old scrub who really wants to get into the game and help the team? Thanks gaf!

Can't aim for shit? Reinhardt or mercy don't need to. Don't mind a little aiming? Try out soldier 76 to begin with. He gets dumped on for being bland but he's fun, straightforward, and can push an objective or heal a teammate.

Just play, enjoy, and if you see a hero that looks cool, try it out, cuz the truth is, none of them are that hard to pick up, and they're all fun.

He is a good man,but he needs to be paired with say, Lucio for the added heal on the team and the speedboost for himself.

Reinhardt or Torbjorn (armor) are also a great teammate for him.

Klyka

Banned
Zenyatta isn't really a healer. he is a total support.

he can heal people and help that way.
he can turn any enemy that people are fighting into "Mr Glass"
he has an accurate,long range attack that hits pretty hard.
he has a charge attack that he can charge while moving that can actually one hit a widowmaker at range and fucks up anyone he hits with it who has his discord orb on them

He is a good man,but he needs to be paired with say, Lucio for the added heal on the team and the speedboost for himself.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I love Hanzo, but he's not out sniping widow, unless she doesn't see you. His arrows do major damage, but if you get in a snipe war with widowmaker it's over unless you land a lucky one while popping out. Hit scan vs travel time and all that.

Also, nothing is better than headshotting someone with the sonic arrow completely by accident.

"let's see what's behind that wall BING! D'oh! sorry (not sorry)!"
Not sure what the hit rate people got with him but the best matches I do with him it's low tier rate of 25% cause I spam arrows where people peak and shit;)

Permanently A

I guess what you're asking is for characters that don't require a lot of aiming?

I would recommend Symmetra, Winston, and Junkrat. Symmetra and Winston have autoaim and Junkrat is very spammy.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Regards,
McCree

Oh, so you were just standing there next to your Widow/Hanzo waiting for me to kill them just so you could kill me? Oh well, space created I guess.

Zeliard

That being said, there is NO situation where you're going to want more then one. Double widow just hurts your teamfighting too hard and you shouldn't be getting much more value out of the second one. Plus it means their widow counter is going to be getting double value. You would have to get 2 picks in rapid succession to make up for the fact that you're effectively down 2 men during an all-in objective fight since Widow is trash at those. In the situations where Widow's good one Widown should be plenty provided they aren't terrible. A second one just adds redundancy.

Why couldn't you get just as much value out of the second one? If one Widow can do work that doesn't mean the other Widow is automatically incapable of doing so. Her charged headshots do 300 damage each; that isn't just useful for killing squishies. She has priority targets but she can and should be shooting indiscriminately otherwise. If you have two doing that you can make things hell for the other team such that close-in team-fighting doesn't even figure into it. You snowball and it's a rout.

Obviously, I'm speaking more in a general pub sense, not comp or higher-level play, where teams are far more consistent at unleashing the right counters. I'm certainly not suggesting that this is some optimal way to play, or that having two people instantly queue up as Widowmaker and refusing to change for the rest of the game en route to a blowout isn't annoying - but you can definitely make it work in some situations in pubs, just like you could any number of other unorthodox comps so long as they're built around a dependable tank and healer.

I only played 3 hours yesterday so I'm still very much getting a feel for the game. So far the 3 heros I gravitate towards are Hanzo, Lucio and Pharah. Hanzo is the hero I have the most fun playing. I choose Lucio when the team needs a healer and he has been very effective for me. Mercy is likely the best pure healer but that speed boost for Lucio is helpful as well. I don't know maybe I should go with Mercy more often in those cases. I find Pharah super useful for those stalemates at the end ot the round when the payload just needs that last push. The splash damage helps clear out the cluster of enemies that are preventing the payload from moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom