• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's Gaf's opinion on playing whatever hero you want in non-ranked pub games?

In the beta I ended playing support most of the time because nobody else did it. This got boring pretty fast so I said fuck it and stopped caring about team composition.

So what's Gaf's opinion on playing whatever hero you want in non-ranked pub games?

In the beta I ended playing support most of the time because nobody else did it. This got boring pretty fast so I said fuck it and stopped caring about team composition.

Pubs will always be a mess. I'll personally use them for practicing new characters. I don't ever expect much teamwork but if I do end up with a good group of players who wants to work together than i will join in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pubs will always be a mess. I'll personally use them for practicing new characters. I don't ever expect much teamwork but if I do end up with a good group of players who wants to work together than i will join in.

well with that mentality you cant really complain about it, youre adding to it

accx

Alright, thanks! Not sure I like all the bunnyhopping, but I understand the game(play)'s appeal better.

I hope the game's popularity will lead to a more diverse character roster in games. I really like the game's style and non-cliched character types.

There's no bunnyhopping in this game.. Atleast not in the same sense as source games.
What i mean is, yea you can "bunnyhop" but there's no benefit.

The game also has a lot of depth to it. Like others said, easy to jump into but hard to master.

Dr. Buni

My opinion is that you should play whatever hero you want regardless of which mode you are playing, if that is what you want. If you want to constantly switch or pick heroes the team needs, then go for it. Basically, just have it your way. Also, if someone gets angry at others for not switching and stuff, they are an ass (regardless of mode).

As for me, I am fine with filling missing roles in a team, though I am conservative when it comes to which hero I will pick from each role.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Play whatever you want, but keep in mind that not picking for your team is not very different from just playing poorly.

In either scenario you're costing your team something.

JCH!

My opinion is that you should play whatever hero you want regardless of which mode you are playing, if that is what you want. If you want to constantly switch or pick heroes the team needs, then go for it. Basically, just have it your way.

It's like people forget this is a team game and your actions influence the enjoyment of the test of the players in a match.

There has to be a happy medium between this "hur dur I don't give a fuck, I play what I want, when I want" and the 100% serious team comp or rage mentalities.

Banzai

Play whatever you want, but keep in mind that not picking for your team is not very different from just playing poorly.

Agreed. I might use non-ranked to practice some heroes sometimes but when playing for real switching heroes is as big a part of the game as aiming.

Ullus

Finally a decent Lucio wallpaper.

1463994295037m2brs.jpg

The fan art is gonna explode the next couple of weeks.

B.O.O.M

If you're not in it to be a team player then you're playing the wrong game.

My two cents.

Sure but this is an issue with all MP games. At the end of the day nothing should trump your own enjoyment out of a product that you paid your own money for.

I tried support and I tried flanking etc in the beta. Some groups just flat out suck and don't care. At that point screw it, just have fun

I don't get the OT title. Can someone explain it to me?

Since closed beta was so hard to get into people started calling the game "OnlyWatch" cause we were only watching people play. In the Game of Thrones universe a group called the Nights Watch says "and now his watch is ended." When a member dies and is released from his oath.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've played enough of these games online to know what to expect. Like I said if the team is trying so will I but I'm not gonna try to carry another 5 guys who don't make the effort.

so if you re teamed with people tht think like you, because nobody takes the first step, nobody does :p

like the dude earlier saying nobody played support. Maybe he should have asked "hey does anyone like playing support and can switch, its not really my thing" instead of just going "fuck the team ill play what I want"

I actually never saw any game with no supports, most of the time I couldnt play support (which I wanted) because we already had 1 (or 2), its when I started gravitating towards Mei

Sora2k7

cant stop thinking about Overwatch.

OT this is a team game. so should try to pick for the team but if your team is hopeless go nuts
what can you do as Lucio if you have 3 reapers on your team?

so if you re teamed with people tht think like you, because nobody takes the first step, nobody does :p

like the dude earlier saying nobody played support. Maybe he should have asked "hey does anyone like playing support and can switch, its not really my thing" instead of just going "fuck the team ill play what I want"

I actually never saw any game with no supports, most of the time I couldnt play support (which I wanted) because we already had 1 (or 2), its when I started gravitating towards Mei

That's why there are a bunch of different supports. If you don't like one of them you can try a different one that's maybe more your style. During the beta I didn't often come across teams with no support as in TF2 with no one wanting to go Medic because the supports actually have interesting gameplay.

Rhaknar

I think Mercy (and maybe Lúcio) are the only Heroes nobody is going to complain about, so you're off the hook!

actually there could be one of those desperate end game situations where the team could have used a extra dps and not so much a healer for a final push :p

Where are the others like you? We need more of you.

Mercy was by far the character I saw the most, dunno what kind of games u guys are playing

People keep talking about "having fun" and "helping the team" like they're two different things. I find it most fun to play a role my team is lacking, possibly learning a character better in the process. That's the kind of mentality this game is geared toward.

SenkiDala

Really looking forward to play this! I tried the beta, hoping that I'll dislike it, then I wouldn't have to buy it... But the opposite happened, I loved it.

I was expecting to play D.Va and Mei but they both don't fit to my "play style", so finally I play Mercy, Widow Maker (note: in a French podcast, Gameblog, the guy who follow this game keeps calling her "Window Maker" and don't understand what's the problem when people try to correct his mistake :p). I also like Pharah, Tracer (but she's hard to play for me, too fast :p), and I'll try Soldier 76.

Will play that on PS4, the gameplay is great with a controller and it runs just fine. :)

AlanOC91

So is this game good? I haven't been following it at all my friends are highly advising me to pick it up tomorrow.

Not sure if I'll like it though.

deoee

So is this game good? I haven't been following it at all my friends are highly advising me to pick it up tomorrow.

It's okay.

If you like TF2 and fast TTK you will like this.
The champions make it quite different and interesting.

I'm having fun when I'm winning, so if that means I need to change then away I go lol.

The only type I didn't play much was offense, but there's really no one I couldn't find something enjoyable about playing.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Alright, thanks! Not sure I like all the bunnyhopping, but I understand the game(play)'s appeal better.

I hope the game's popularity will lead to a more diverse character roster in games. I really like the game's style and non-cliched character types.
Honestly I've not seen bunny hopping in the classic sense but moving and dodging is a big thing.

|OT| Goodbye OnlyWatch. Hello OverSalt.

People keep talking about "having fun" and "helping the team" like they're two different things. I find it most fun to play a role my team is lacking, possibly learning a character better in the process. That's the kind of mentality this game is geared toward.

Playing the role that your team needs is only fun to a certain extent.
If you end up playing the same heroes over and over and even heroes you don't like then it stops being fun.

Rhaknar

youre asking if a game is good in the game's OT. What kind of anwser are you expecting dude, honestly :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yup. I have one character in each slot I played a lot of, but even when I try to fill a role later in the beta I found myself dabbling in other heroes more. Instead of always being Lucio on support I tried Zenyatta and had a lot of fun with it.

I will say from open beta atleast there was a surprising amount of people that did go to support, from my experience the hardest archtype to actually pick was offense as so many people snap pick soldier/reaper/genji and refuse to swap so I would play defense/tank/support disproportionately more. Though the times there wouldn't be a support and the two widows on your team are spamming WE NEED A HEALER are pretty unbearable.

JCH!

from my experience the hardest archtype to actually pick was offense as so many people snap pick soldier/reaper/genji and refuse to swap so I would play defense/tank/support disproportionately more.

Yeah, this was my experience as well. The Heroes I played less were the offence ones because those spots were most frequently taken.

Playing the role that your team needs is only fun to a certain extent.
If you end up playing the same heroes over and over and even heroes you don't like then it stops being fun.

Maybe I was just lucky but that wasn't my experience at all. I never felt like I had to keep playing the same character over and over again. People were generally pretty good about following the team composition suggestions (which was really a brilliant design decision by Blizzard). You'd get your odd game where two people insist on playing Widowmaker, but that was definitely an anomoly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom