• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acerac

Banned
Lol at this Tor hate as if turret placement, repairing/keeping an eye out while you are worried about walking around like a madman dpsing and picking up scrap to make armor packs is somehow not important, get the fuck out of here with that shit.

I had a game where I made 37 armor packs yesterday and was shooting fools in the face on all entry points. Just because the turret is automated doesnt mean you didn't win partially because of it.
I just assume it's all from people who never had to deal with an engineer before.

Now THAT is a class worth hating.

Akim

Banned
Coming up on 1k gold, trying to decide on a skin to buy. Such a hard decision........took 36 levels to get this much currency. What was the first skin ya'll bought?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My turret is called Salty.

Salty the Turret. Because of the salt water of the sea since I use the pirate skin you see. Not because of these delicious gaf tears she uses as fuel, no sir.

Tecnniqe

Banned
My turret is called Salty.

Salty the Turret. Because of the salt water of the sea since I use the pirate skin you see. Not because of these delicious gaf tears she uses as fuel, no sir.
Lol.

Only issue with the turrets is the instant turn speed which reveals your position if you try and flank or sneak behind.

I'd be OK if they changed the cone of fire or rotation speed.

Lol at this Tor hate as if turret placement, repairing/keeping an eye out while you are worried about walking around like a madman dpsing and picking up scrap to make armor packs is somehow not important, get the fuck out of here with that shit.

I had a game where I made 37 armor packs yesterday and was shooting fools in the face on all entry points. Just because the turret is automated doesnt mean you didn't win partially because of it.

Torb is great, but too many people just see him as the guy that puts down the turret and camps next to it.

Now if only I would stop forgetting to use his RMB shotgun blasts.

Acerac

Banned
Lol.

Only issue with the turrets is the instant turn speed which reveals your position of you try and flank or sneak behind.

Slowed the rotation speed and upped the DPS, that'd make sense.

Straight nerfing a mediocre character doesn't really.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lol.

Only issue with the turrets is the instant turn speed which reveals your position if you try and flank or sneak behind.

Funny you say that, because I use my turret's aiming to reveal flanking a lot. Super useful to call that out to the team.

Firestorm

I think the fact that I got the gold medal for two of those and a bronze medal in damage is a problem and likely led to our loss.

Cjr5ohgUUAICwwh.jpg:large

The worst part is that when I start in that role, and our team is getting creamed because nobody realizes we need to change tactics, I feel like I'm stuck as the healer and can't contribute to the doomed effort.

Yup. I run into this a lot as Lucio. When you notice you're getting creamed and have 4-5 gold metals you start having dps dreams.

Between DOOM and this I'm be reminded of just how good gaming can be.

I don't even like PvP, and I barely ever play more than a few matches of any competitive modes, but am completely loving my time in Overwatch. There's enough here to tickle the plan-making tactician in me just as much as the who-cares-if-we-lose-this-is-fun-as-shit part of me. Every class is a joy to play once you find their rhythm, unlimited ammo keeps you aggressive and focused, and there's room for solo fun even with so many team synergies.

Hot damn its good to know that we've got brilliant AAA flag bearers for gaming centered upon 1.) simple and painstakingly refined mechanics 2.) rock solid performance and 3.) smart, colorful art styles and fluid animations that make even the most chaotic of scenes immediately readable.

These are good times, and great fucking games.

Firestorm

I pretty much always vote for Mercys and Lucios when they come up on the end screen. Playing support is such a thankless job sometimes, The worst part is that when I start in that role, and our team is getting creamed because nobody realizes we need to change tactics, I feel like I'm stuck as the healer and can't contribute to the doomed effort. Except to trying my best to heal them as they keep banging their heads against the same brick wall over and over again.

Yeah I've come to realize that the best thing to do in that situation is switch. If you're Mercy or to a slightly lesser extent Lucio and your team isn't able to take advantage of you, you're not going to win. You may as well switch and either A) Have fun playing Team Deathmatch or B) maybe your offensive character will make a difference and someone might even pick up healing you. Works out better.

BigDug13

I feel bad using Torbjorn on defense sometimes. The turrets are 4-5 times more aware and accurate than any random team member

It's possibly the best Lucio counter in the game though. I can hop around, wall grind, etc away from nearly every shooter not using an ult yet here's 100% accurate turret that no amount of maneuvering can escape.

Man, had a real bad evening yesterday, won only one match. How is it possible that some players are lvl 30 and still play like it's their first time? One was Lucio, yeah it's nice that you speed buff everyone and their pets, but how about some healing? Was Zenyatta, so outside of the ult, i'm not really useful for AoE healing, y'know?

BigDug13

Man, had a real bad evening yesterday, won only one match. How is it possible that some players are lvl 30 and still play like it's their first time? One was Lucio, yeah it's nice that you speed buff everyone and their pets, but how about some healing? Was Zenyatta, so outside of the ult, i'm not really useful for AoE healing, y'know?

If they're like me they're level 36 with 90% of their time on one class. Lucio for me. So even though my level is high, when I try other classes I can be noob-like.

R0ckman

I feel bad using Torbjorn on defense sometimes. The turrets are 4-5 times more aware and accurate than any random team member

As tracer I have infiltrated so many enemy spawn points its sad when you come up behind them and they just have no clue. Its free kills.

By the way how come there is no tell beyond visuals for Reapers teleport? Or maybe there is? Sometime I hear him say repositioning and I think its the enemy one? Sometimes he doesnt say amything?

Yeah I've come to realize that the best thing to do in that situation is switch. If you're Mercy or to a slightly lesser extent Lucio and your team isn't able to take advantage of you, you're not going to win. You may as well switch and either A) Have fun playing Team Deathmatch or B) maybe your offensive character will make a difference and someone might even pick up healing you. Works out better.

I've had experiences like this. I started one match on Hollywood Defense as Mercy, got zero support from my team, and swapped to Reaper when they (quickly) got the second point. We still lost, but I managed to slow them down considerably and ended up with 25 kills and potg.

How the hell is my SECOND LEGENDARY at level 41 a duplicate?!?!? I didn't care for the Genji skin the first time! Bah. At least I can buy one now.

It's possibly the best Lucio counter in the game though. I can hop around, wall grind, etc away from nearly every shooter not using an ult yet here's 100% accurate turret that no amount of maneuvering can escape.

Really? Never really had any trouble with turrets when playing Lúcio, unless they're in their ulti form. Even almost in the open (you should always have some sort of cover), with the healing buff active, Lúcio can destroy the turret easily without dying.

LiK

Really? Never really had any trouble with turrets when playing Lúcio, unless they're in their ulti form. Even almost in the open (you should always have some sort of cover), with the healing buff active, Lúcio can destroy the turret easily without dying.

Yea, Lucio actually does real good dmg against turrets. I like hunting them down while healing.

Pharah tends to get shredded by them, too. I usually main as her on offense, but if I see a turret I immediately know to switch. Bastion you can at least take by surprise since there's a human being having to keep watch, but that auto-targeting turret is just a killer.

Nyx

Coming up on 1k gold, trying to decide on a skin to buy. Such a hard decision........took 36 levels to get this much currency. What was the first skin ya'll bought?

The blue hockey skin for Lucio.

A few levels later I got his other hockey skin in a crate...

Speely

Banned
Yea, Lucio actually does real good dmg against turrets. I like hunting them down while healing.

It's often a better use of his offensive abilities than is firing at players. Turrets don't dodge. One of the things I love about Lucio. While healing you can skate around and clean up turrets and even disrupt flankers, etc. So fun... I literally always play him if the group doesn't have him or a Mercy yet.

BigDug13

Yeah I'm talking when I'm successfully bouncing around avoiding fire from 5 other enemy team members and then the turret is shredding me solo. I can't exactly out heal the damage or kill it in that situation.

kuppy

Was kind of hoping the OP of OT2 would include some links to good reading material.

Let me ask then, any recommended guides I should be reading? Would especially be interested in picking heroes depending on certain occuring situations, individual hero guides, counters, general tactics.

Was kind of hoping the OP of OT2 would include some links to good reading material.

Let me ask then, any recommended guides I should be reading? Would especially be interested in picking heroes depending on certain occuring situations, individual hero guides, counters, general tactics.

r/OverwatchUniversity

I'm no expert, but I watched all the video guides on The Cynical Nerds YouTube channel, and they helped bring me up to speed. Gives the game as a whole solid coverage with "the basics" videos, and the hero guides are simple, quick, and cover all the bases.

Don't worry, there's nothing cynical in them in the slightest, at least not in these videos.

As tracer I have infiltrated so many enemy spawn points its sad when you come up behind them and they just have no clue. Its free kills.

By the way how come there is no tell beyond visuals for Reapers teleport? Or maybe there is? Sometime I hear him say repositioning and I think its the enemy one? Sometimes he doesnt say amything?

DEATH COMES

Speely

Banned
Between DOOM and this I'm be reminded of just how good gaming can be.

I don't even like PvP, and I barely ever play more than a few matches of any competitive modes, but am completely loving my time in Overwatch. There's enough here to tickle the plan-making tactician in me just as much as the who-cares-if-we-lose-this-is-fun-as-shit part of me. Every class is a joy to play once you find their rhythm, unlimited ammo keeps you aggressive and focused, and there's room for solo fun even with so many team synergies.

Hot damn its good to know that we've got brilliant AAA flag bearers for gaming centered upon 1.) simple and painstakingly refined mechanics 2.) rock solid performance and 3.) smart, colorful art styles and fluid animations that make even the most chaotic of scenes immediately readable.

These are good times, and great fucking games.

Awesome post. This is great, and in not so many words a recurring theme I see over and over. Hell I have said something similar myself: I don't particularly care for FPS games, especially competitive shooters, but the culmination of amazing design elements and gameplay mechanics that Overwatch possesses has me actually looking forward to logging on and trying like hell to win matches every day. All of a sudden I care about this competitive shooter a lot and am getting better at it because of it.

It's pretty awesome how well Blizzard brought this together. It's so appealing on so many levels and so accessible on just as many while reminding you every match that you could do so much more if you just got a little better.

This is why gaming is my hobby. Shit like this.

balohna

I don't know what it is about this game, but I'm actually pretty chill during MP where most shooters get me heated. I think it might be that engagement isn't "they shot first, I'm dead", "they have a better weapon, I'm dead", "this person is ridiculously good, I'm dead", etc.

So far, even when I do die repeatedly I feel like I'm learning a new lesson each time. I'm not even mad. Even if my team is sucking, the rounds are so short that it's not even a huge deal to me to lose a bit. I've been lucky enough to mostly win, though.

Playing D. Va by the way, so I generally feel accomplished if I can annoy the other team or block their advance. I'm all about that shit and most shooters don't let you slot into that role so nicely. Through a Reinhardt then killing the Mercy healing him, then killing the Reinhardt, then throwing up a shield to block whoever else is nearby in time for my team to show up... feels pretty nice. Even losing my mech can be fun, hiding out and picking the right battles until I can call in a new mech.

I'm not a Blizzard fan at all, didn't play much TF2, didn't follow the development of this game or play the beta... but I may be in this for the long haul. I don't even care if I'm good, it's just fun.

R0ckman

Tip for Torb players, his ultimate blocks mei's ultimate, he can't be frozen when in his even when she uses hers on him, I walled right through a surprise one.

I got the trophy for keeping Zarya's power level above 70 for 60 seconds. Felt good to finally master her unique "parry" shields and wreck fools :)

Also dat gravity ult...
tumblr_o7xozlFcNF1uswm2uo2_1280.png

Speely

Banned
I don't know what it is about this game, but I'm actually pretty chill during MP where most shooters get me heated. I think it might be that engagement isn't "they shot first, I'm dead", "they have a better weapon, I'm dead", "this person is ridiculously good, I'm dead", etc.

So far, even when I do die repeatedly I feel like I'm learning a new lesson each time. I'm not even mad. Even if my team is sucking, the rounds are so short that it's not even a huge deal to me to lose a bit. I've been lucky enough to mostly win, though.

Playing D. Va by the way, so I generally feel accomplished if I can annoy the other team or block their advance. I'm all about that shit and most shooters don't let you slot into that role so nicely. Through a Reinhardt then killing the Mercy healing him, then killing the Reinhardt, then throwing up a shield to block whoever else is nearby in time for my team to show up... feels pretty nice. Even losing my mech can be fun, hiding out and picking the right battles until I can call in a new mech.

I'm not a Blizzard fan at all, didn't play much TF2, didn't follow the development of this game or play the beta... but I may be in this for the long haul. I don't even care if I'm good, it's just fun.

I hadn't even noticed, but I am pretty chill during matches as well, and I normally get pretty anxious. I think part of it is the focus on objectives and room for error in regard to approaching them. Getting back into the action isn't hard, and swapping is a no-brainer, so I don't feel like it's the end of the world if someone rocks me as long as I learn from it. That and, like you said, it's often a very viable tactic to just harass and scatter enemies, or to lead them away (I use that un-meched D.Va tactic too.)

So many ways to be useful even if you aren't a pro gamer hotshot. It's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom