• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
reddit is killing me this morning

Indeed

lNahdxd.jpg

Hahaha

I used to spend hours upon hours playing Team Fortress Classic mod for Halflife 1. There weren't any "levels" or "unlocks" that I can remember. You played the same handful of maps over and over because the game was fun as fuck.

Why did gaming become "how fast can I fill bars" instead of just playing the game because it's fun?
Motherfucking truth right here, why cant people just play the game to enjoy it, why does there always have to be aomething to unlock! I blame cod4

Ok the Symmetra love has won me over. Gonna try her. What do y'all do when pressed away from your sentry drones? Find a hallway, jump a lot, and hold LMB? Or do you just bait enemies to your cunningly-placed deathzone?

Charge up your alt-fire as you go cover behind a corner, then put a ball of death in their face as they come around. Pillars and small structures work too. Save the spray for when you're in a big skirmish or finishing off enemies others (or your sentries) have damaged.

Ok the Symmetra love has won me over. Gonna try her. What do y'all do when pressed away from your sentry drones? Find a hallway, jump a lot, and hold LMB? Or do you just bait enemies to your cunningly-placed deathzone?

Yeah, I'm surprised at how many enemies I've managed to kill as Symmetra by just holding down the LMB and jumping around the enemy in circles like a madwoman on a pogo stick. In a 1 on 1 fight Symmetra actually comes out on top a lot of the time when I'm playing her. Even taken out a few Reinhardts that way. And if you're near your turrets at the same time, that's even better.

Eh? I am hunting turrets as Pharah easily. o_o

I am amazed how different the playstyles are. :D

I'm probably being too impatient, I suppose, and not waiting for my team to provide cover before flying in. I imagine if the turret has multiple targets, you have better luck getting enough rockets in to take it out. But if you're the only red silhouette in sight, I tend to find that you're toast.

Mutombo

I circle around characters! I'm on PS4, my aim will always be true, theirs will not. I find I'm actually a pretty good killer of Tanks whilst they are in the vicinity of my turrets. Alone, it's more of a 'oh shit, can't get away, oh well, let's try to kill this person' thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Enemies actively chase symmetry's behind enemy lines though. They don't want more sneaky turrets in their midst. So, worst case scenario, you at least took a few seconds of them and their objectives.

IvanJ

Banned
Do people not understand overtime? It's so annoying when a person could easily walk over and reset the timer so others could get there... Only for them to value their own lives and not reset the timer and then lose.
It happened to me a couple of times, once literally a meter from delivering a payload. I was jumping and running around it as Soldier 76, healing myself for a solid 10-15 seconds. A couple of teammates were sniping from across the map.

But in the end, I don't get upset. The game is so great and enjoyable, I just ready up again and a minute later I'm back in action. Net loss: 250 XP, or a minute of playtime. I can live with that, I'm in no rush to open the next loot box with two sprays, voice line and a profile picture.

nOoblet16

I've been playing on Xbox One exclusively, and I can't find a control sensitivity setup that feels right. Something just feels off to me about the controls in this game on Xbox One.

I dislike that the max sensitivity in this game (for console version) is very very low compared to other console games like COD, Doom or even when compared to old slow ass Halo games. It makes it feel laggy.

It doesn't make sense to artificially put another restriction on sensitivity when the controller already isn't a 1:1 input device. It is even more confusing when you realise that this is suppose to be a fast game, because of the fact that max turn speed is so slow, some characters like Genji and Tracer are pretty much impossible to use to their full effect.

There's so much that you just can't do when you play Genji on consoles, if the max turn speed was higher then atleast one could get close to be able to do the things that character is good at doing even if not as efficiently as you can with a KB/M.

Firebrand

500 currency, 1 rare Pharah skin and 1 rare McCree skin. Best drop yet (as in overall package, i got legendary skins before)
:O I didn't think you could get 500 in one drop.

I'm having lousy luck, at level 30ish now and only have 1 legendary, with a total of ~650 coins (of which I spent 250 on the White Rabbit skin for D.va). I wish I could reset and start over, hah. Takes 4 games now to get another box.

To be honest I think most of the legendaries are rubbish, but I sure wouldn't mind coins.

NeoN1

Neo Member
Huh. I get like 3-4 gold medals every game. What kind of shit teams have I had so far then lol.

I had a game yesterday where I was the tank (Roadhog) and when we lost (got stomped) I saw that I had the gold medal for most kills with JUST FOUR KILLS. What the hell was my team doing?

Also the overtime/contesting issue. I really hope people start learning how to play this game. because sometimes really get on my nerves...

Speely

Banned
Yeah, I'm surprised at how many enemies I've managed to kill as Symmetra by just holding down the LMB and jumping around the enemy in circles like a madwoman on a pogo stick. In a 1 on 1 fight Symmetra actually comes out on top a lot of the time when I'm playing her. Even taken out a few Reinhardts that way. And if you're near your turrets at the same time, that's even better.

Nice thanks! I have gotten really good at moving erratically since I play D.Va a lot and once out of her mech, literally all she has is jumping through people and being an ass. So I got that.

Symmetra is prolly pretty good vs Tracer then, huh?

spiritfox

It's not instant, beside it can only shoot one target at a time so if it's already shooting at someone it's open to attack from you.

You haven't played TF2 if you think this is instant, Torb's turrets are nowhere near as powerful or quick as Engineer's turret and it can be taken out by a long range character easily if you have the LoS or a tank like Roadhog and Reinhardt in short range if you don't have LoS. D.Va can take them out long or short, doesn't matter.

You know that platform in Hollywood where Torb likes to put his turrets? Why don't people use D.Va or Widowmaker to just take it out instead of dying to it 10 times ?

The turn rate for Torb's turret is much higher than TF2's, and I mained engie in TF2. A good Scout can out circle strafe the turret in TF2. Here I can't take even a few steps without the turret immediately shooting at me, even from behind.

nOoblet16

Pharah tends to get shredded by them, too. I usually main as her on offense, but if I see a turret I immediately know to switch. Bastion you can at least take by surprise since there's a human being having to keep watch, but that auto-targeting turret is just a killer.
You could make a similar argument for the other side since Tobs turrets have a range of 40m, fire slower and have low health.

While Bastion has no range restriction since its controller by a human...especially considering that he does a lot of DPS at any range and can self heal quickly.

nOoblet16

The turn rate for Torb's turret is much higher than TF2's, and I mained engie in TF2. A good Scout can out circle strafe the turret in TF2. Here I can't take even a few steps without the turret immediately shooting at me, even from behind.

But there are no character in this game with base movement speed as fast as the scout. Blinks don't count cause you can't circle strafe or shoot while doing so.
It also takes longer to kill than Engie's turrets.

Man, defensive Tracer is a wonderful thing. My team were defending on Hollywood and at one point I was tying up a Winston, McCree and Mercy in a ridiculous firefight for like two minutes. All while my team could hang out on the objective and just chill, have cocktails, I dunno.

IvanJ

Banned
So many times I her gold for objective time with just a few seconds and I'm like what?!
Maybe that is broken?
Last night on Ilios, I played Reinhardt and camped both rounds at the objective, shield raised, from 0-100% (the other team was not very good).

I ended getting a gold medal, objective time 00:31??

Speely

Banned
I circle around characters! I'm on PS4, my aim will always be true, theirs will not. I find I'm actually a pretty good killer of Tanks whilst they are in the vicinity of my turrets. Alone, it's more of a 'oh shit, can't get away, oh well, let's try to kill this person' thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Enemies actively chase symmetry's behind enemy lines though. They don't want more sneaky turrets in their midst. So, worst case scenario, you at least took a few seconds of them and their objectives.

Awesome. I am all about keeping enemies away from the objective, so I feel like I can make it work. :)

Nice thanks! I have gotten really good at moving erratically since I play D.Va a lot and once out of her mech, literally all she has is jumping through people and being an ass. So I got that.

Symmetra is prolly pretty good vs Tracer then, huh?

Mmm, sometimes. Good Tracers will know to zip out of range of you and fire from a distance, but if they don't know any better and you catch them by surprise, that 150 health can zip down fairly quickly. But somebody like a McCree or a Hanzo? Unless one of their teammates shows up to back them up, they better get off a lucky shot.

Motherfucking truth right here, why cant people just play the game to enjoy it, why does there always have to be aomething to unlock! I blame cod4
And, this is going to sound counter-intuitive, but a quality game without unlocks has more legs than one without.

Once a game is built around unlocks, those unlocks become the end-all be-all reason for playing. THE driving motivation. Players will ditch fun, teamwork and the objective to do whatever nets them the most XP or virtual currency. Daily and weekly challenges and weapon and ability unlocks will drive player behavior more than anything else.

But the kicker is this - once players have unlocked all of those unlockables, or even just the ones they're interested in, they've "finished" the game, and move on to the next game with its even longer progression of unlocks.

Gameplay unlockables, being finite as they are, are a good way to give a game a relatively short lifespan for most players.

I had a game yesterday where I was the tank (Roadhog) and when we lost (got stomped) I saw that I had the gold medal for most kills with JUST FOUR KILLS. What the hell was my team doing?

Also the overtime/contesting issue. I really hope people start learning how to play this game. because sometimes really get on my nerves...

I've had the gold medal for kills with Lucio

...huh lol

Maybe that is broken?
Last night on Ilios, I played Reinhardt and camped both rounds at the objective, shield raised, from 0-100% (the other team was not very good).

I ended getting a gold medal, objective time 00:31??

Pretty sure it just counts capturing and maybe contesting, not just being on an already taken point.

Gryph

Haha. I've had some losses like that. Absolute curb stomps, and I end up with the kills or damage gold medal...

That's just the way it is sometimes...

I've had the gold medal for kills with Lucio

...huh lol
I don't know if there's anything more pure evil fun than wrecking people's shit with Lucio, out-of-mech D.Va and Mercy.

Underestimate their danger at your fucking peril :)

I've also got to show some respect for those Symmetra's out there that have schooled me in her ways. Turns out that beam of hers actually does something ;p

spiritfox

But there are no character in this game with base movement speed as fast as the scout. Blinks don't count cause you can't circle strafe or shoot while doing so.
It also takes longer to kill than Engie's turrets.

A lvl 2 turret has 300 hp, but it's a sitting duck. Unless the owner is just hammering the turret, which then is a sitting duck to splash damage or snipers.

Anyway I think torb is balanced right now. I fear his rivet gun more than his turret, unless Moltern Core.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I've had to yell: "Dumbass" too many times due to people either not resetting the timer or stay off the objective when they could contest.

You don't have to yell anything at anyone. You could just explain to them that it's in everyone's best interest to contest the point, even if that means sacrificing yourself. Calling people names is nothing but a bad habit that could eventually pollute the playerbase.

I can deal with that. I feel like i'd want to be a healer or a defensive player to see how others are playing while still feeling like i'm contributing to the team

It definitely helps a lot. I think i'd be a healer at the start until i better understood things and what not and that's appealing to me. I just don't want to feel like im up against a wall by feeling like im a liability to my team because my K/D ratio is shitty or that im being out matched because already good players have access to items and gear that make them even better.

You are me a few days ago, haha.
I never got into TF2, don't do well in online shooters in general, and hadn't been following pre-release at all, but I read up on it, watched a bunch of gameplay vids and got some "console casual" reassurance on here before taking the plunge.

Started out as Zenyatta, who's apparently a difficult support character to use effectively, but I still felt like a team asset straight off the bat. Now I feel comfortable branching into other characters and playstyles, while always having a healer to hand if needed.

I recommend getting a feel for a new character in the practice range, then playing some AI matches (your team is human, opposition is bots) so you can get some experience without pissing people off too much. You earn in-game EXP in bot matches as well (of which there are 3 difficulties), so it's never a waste of time if you're looking to raise your confidence with a new hero.

If I were a seasoned online gamer, this is where I would say "glhf", but alas, I would probably butcher the pronunciation.

m4st4

Do you Offense with Symmetry as well? I'm really good at defense, and since she's starting to become my main defense, I feel I'm becoming a prick, shaking my head when other Symmetra's have shitty turret placements, only giving us shields and teleports but zero kills.

Haha so much yeah, I'm starting to really dislike bad Symmetra players, on both teams (Why would you put turrets there? Where's your teleporter? Why aren't you using that gun?). I rarely offense with her, except for Nepal. If you manage to setup a mini turret base on point A there and place a teleporter nearby it's hell for enemy team.

But, really important, if you play DEFENSE and if you play Symmetra... play it like offense. Flank and spam enemies with your beam, they usually start panicking, especially if there's a turret or two above, it just shakes them. That feisty blink/tsk sound of elimination will surely follow. Especially if it's Hanzo (he can't aim at you if you're doing circles), or Tracer (the beam catches onto her, sort of), or even Reinheardt (just get behind his ass and spam the beam).

tumblr_o6visqtmux1qj5jqso1_540.gif

Symmetra is love, Symmetra is life.

I don't know if there's anything more pure evil fun than wrecking people's shit with Lucio, out-of-mech D.Va and Mercy.

Underestimate their danger at your fucking peril :)

Yeah, I saw combat Mercy for the first time tonight. I have PTSD. I play D.VA, I should know better than to underestimate that tiny, tiny pistol.

Speely

Banned
Haha. I've had some losses like that. Absolute curb stomps, and I end up with the kills or damage gold medal...

That's just the way it is sometimes...

It's usually obvious at least, and I always vote for losing opponents who did a great job. I feel like not enough players do that. Enemy Reinhardts, Mercies, and Lucios in particular I have a soft spot for. If my team has a Bastion that got PotG but I know an opponent contributed all they had and made our win a challenge, I'll vote for them every time.

nOoblet16

A lvl 2 turret has 300 hp, but it's a sitting duck. Unless the owner is just hammering the turret, which then is a sitting duck to splash damage or snipers.

Anyway I think torb is balanced right now. I fear his rivet gun more than his turret, unless Moltern Core.
You read me wrong.
I'm talking about how it takes longer for Torb's turret to kill someone than the time it takes Engie's sentry to kill someone in TF2.

I'm talking about how it takes longer for Torb's turret to kill someone than Engie's sentry in TF2.

And thank god. Turrets in TF2 were obnoxious af. The knockback from that thing alone made me hate that game.

Is this guy full of shit or have I've been fucking myself over this whole time?

0OITPiG.png

You can break the shield, but damaging it does charge her energy level which boosts her weapon. Break the shield at the risk of making her stronger. It only lasts 2 seconds before it drops on its own though.

MartyStu

Haha so much yeah, I'm starting to really dislike bad Symmetra players, on both teams (Why would you put turrets there? Where's your teleporter? Why aren't you using that gun?). I rarely offense with her, except for Nepal. If you manage to setup a mini turret base on point A there and place a teleporter nearby it's hell for enemy team.

But, really important, if you play DEFENSE and if you play Symmetra... play it like offense. Flank and spam enemies with your beam, they usually start panicking, especially if there's a turret or two above, it just shakes them. That feisty blink/tsk sound of elimination will surely follow. Especially if it's Hanzo (he can't aim at you if you're doing circles), or Tracer (the beam catches onto her, sort of), or even Reinheardt (just get behind his ass and spam the beam).

tumblr_o6visqtmux1qj5jqso1_540.gif

Symmetra is love, Symmetra is life.

With Reinheardt, you do not have to get behind him: your gun goes through his shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom