• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meta predictions? All I know is that Genji is as dead as Widow and McCree after their nerfs. I'm really curious to see what happens to support, will all of them bar Symmetra see some good play time?
Luciyatta still seems the best by far for support. Maybe I won't automatically loathe an Ana pick by a teammate, but she's still worse than the others.

Maybe Mercy finds a niche with the heal boost? A mercy healed tank would be almost unkillable but that would rarely be worth the two character spots. Could Pharmercy 2.0 stand a chance against a McCree and 30% discord? Maybe.

Hanzo will probably get some play which could be interesting.

Typical Esports team:
Tracer-McCree-Zarya-Winston-Lucio-Zenyatta

With Reaper, Roadhog, Hanzo, Pharmercy(maybe) making situational appearances.

Prelude.

Nah, it wasn't. Genji is about mobility and this hurts it massively and is hard to learn how to do it just right.

Like I've said, bring back triple jump and combo. Leave the dragon blade nerf alone, that's fine, but fix those two nerfs.
The amount of times I waited for a Genji to drop down after jumping above me and performing a wallclimb only for him to keep going and escape is pretty high. I don't see why he needs an additional jump when he can already jump, jump again, wallclimb, dash and fuck off into the sky. People have already a hard time dealing with him as it is, and that always looked like a wallclimb exploit, like his dash into a ledge to propel himself forward.

Same thing happened when that video popped up showing the deflect hit box. Nobody complained about it before. As soon as the video shows up, everyone calls it bullshit. I don't get it. If it was never noticed or a problem before, how does a video change that?
That's a pretty weak argument. It's not like everyone tests the game that way in a closed environment. If it happens during gameplay and you happen to notice something weird, you call bs and move on because it's lag/tickrate/a sporadic bug or whatever, if you see how it works and that it's consistently broken, of course you get upset. So, basically, if no one publicly calls out a broken mechanic, it's not an issue because the majority didn't notice it.

Switching characters fucks with Overbuff so bad.

Played 7 QP matches today. It says my stats are 5-2 (correct) and then for the individual heroes it adds up to 4-3. With 0-1 as D.Va and nothing as Winston.

The game in question was against 4 Bastions and two Symmetra's I switched to D.Va to deal with Bastion, but shortly after they went to 4 Symmetra's and one Bastion so I switched to Winson. We won the game.

So on my individual hero stats does D.Va have a loss and Winston nothing? It's not really a huge deal but my confidence in this site is dwindling very quickly. lol

NimbusD

i don't understand why in OVERTIME peeps don't jump on the point/payload...? Like, maybe, you'll die but if you don't jump on the point/payload you will surely lose, so wtf?!?

it's not brain science!

or make his nose light up red like Rudolph? Something. It's different for all his other skins, so... yeah. LOL

The response last time I bothered to say something after the match was something like "admit it we already lost"

This came from a guy who in overtime decided it was better to plop down as bastion two feet from point woth half his team running in behind him...and get off maybe two shots before the defeat.

Some people really just don't understand the pros/cons of certain plays. They just think hitting people w bullets is how you win and if you can't do that you lose.

I haven't bothered saying anything post game since.

Alucrid

Banned
Luciyatta still seems the best by far for support. Maybe I won't automatically loathe an Ana pick by a teammate, but she's still worse than the others.

Maybe Mercy finds a niche with the heal boost? A mercy healed tank would be almost unkillable but that would rarely be worth the two character spots. Could Pharmercy 2.0 stand a chance against a McCree and 30% discord? Maybe.

Typical Esports team:

eh...i imagine you'll want a rein so that mcree and hanzo aren't picking off your supports for free

Salarians

CqQsKfGWAAEdFTB
👀

Anne

Finally got the summer spray

edf6874f9a.jpg

Typical Esports team:

I think Mercy/Ana on PTR right now is really good. I think Lucio/Zen will still be a strong strat but I'm also thinking there is going to some wiggle room for other stuff for sure. Zen is balanced atm and Lucio is a bit less of an instant fight winner even if I think he's still OP.

Jellie

With the discord nerf and mercy buff I wonder if triple tank with a DPS, Lucio and mercy would be decent. Roadhog can one shot and zarya with two other tanks should be easy to get charged up so there wouldn't be a lack of damage. Might try it out after the patch.
Massive HP with fast healing and sound barrier would make it hard to kill the team and when they die just rez.

The amount of times I waited for a Genji to drop down after jumping above me and performing a wallclimb only for him to keep going and escape is pretty high. I don't see why he needs an additional jump when he can already jump, jump again, wallclimb, dash and fuck off into the sky. People have already a hard time dealing with him as it is, and that always looked like a wallclimb exploit, like his dash into a ledge to propel himself forward.

That's a pretty weak argument. It's not like everyone tests the game that way in a closed environment. If it happens during gameplay and you happen to notice something weird, you call bs and move on because it's lag/tickrate/a sporadic bug or whatever, if you see how it works and that it's consistently broken, of course you get upset. So, basically, if no one publicly calls out a broken mechanic, it's not an issue because the majority didn't notice it.
I'm saying that if the majority of e community didn't notice it, it wasn't a glaring issue.

Look at Hanzo. People noticed his log sized arrows instantly, before any video or anything happened. That's because it was a glaring issue. This never happened with Genji till some video showed up for something that ain't even that big of a deal.

Anne

With the discord nerf and mercy buff I wonder if triple tank with Lucio and mercy would be decent. Roadhog can one shot and zarya with two other tanks should be easy to get charged up so there wouldn't be a lack of damage. Might try it out after the patch.

I think triple support would be neater. Some permutation of Ana/Mercy/Zen or Ana/Mercy/Lucio as your support pick.

The thing about Ana/Mercy is that their ult charge rates are really fast right now. Ana will get hers first and start a fight with it. If your team wipes the fight, then Mercy rezes them and keeps it going. If your team wins with no rez required, Mercy has her ult for the next fight. If Mercy needs to rez the next fight, then Ana can ult post rez in order to extend or secure the fight. You could have Lucio for your engage or Zen for damage depending on what you want and which support ult you value more.

So like Zarya/Rein/McCree or Hanzo or whatever preferred DPS/Ana/Mercy/Zen or Lucio could be a potential 3 support comp. That's assuming that Ana/Mercy would want or need the third support and you couldn't run 2/2/2 with it.

Beckx

Meta predictions? All I know is that Genji is as dead as Widow and McCree after their nerfs. I'm really curious to see what happens to support, will all of them bar Symmetra see some good play time?

pick tiers:

lucio
tracer/zarya/zen
rein/winston/reaper/mccree
hanzo/mercy
ana/junkrat
everyone else

Jellie

I think triple support would be neater. Some permutation of Ana/Mercy/Zen or Ana/Mercy/Lucio as your support pick.

The thing about Ana/Mercy is that their ult charge rates are really fast right now. Ana will get hers first and start a fight with it. If your team wipes the fight, then Mercy rezes them and keeps it going. If your team wins with no rez required, Mercy has her ult for the next fight. If Mercy needs to rez the next fight, then Ana can ult post rez in order to extend or secure the fight. You could have Lucio for your engage or Zen for damage depending on what you want and which support ult you value more.

So like Zarya/Rein/McCree or Hanzo or whatever preferred DPS/Ana/Mercy/Zen or Lucio could be a potential 3 support comp. That's assuming that Ana/Mercy would want or need the third support and you couldn't run 2/2/2 with it.
I think ana can make the team very snowbally. Ult a Reinhardt and he'll pretty much get earth shatter. Earth shatter and your DPS finish the job and get their ults up. It could be pretty powerful in a coordinated team.

I think triple support is maybe overkill though. The damage output would be too little. Triple tank at least would have decent damage.

Zeliard

Yeah playing Overwatch is... odd right now. :p

QP live actually isn't too bad, at least in my experience, but it's still QP and no hero limit is hard to go back to after playing a lot of comp. Plus nobody is really trying that much, so you're getting a very different experience to normal comp regardless.

And PTR comp is just a mess if you're unlucky enough to be swamped by leavers, and people will happily leave at the first sign of difficulty since PTR ultimately doesn't matter. The low player count also means matchmaking is very inconsistent.

I have to imagine Blizzard will cut down significantly on the break between seasons after Fall.

Anne

I think triple support is maybe overkill though. The damage output would be too little. Triple tank at least would have decent damage.

Damage output might not matter if you have constant Ana ult and can extend a fight forever. You basically are loading a lot of your damage into McCree/Zarya which is honestly enough, if the McCree can secure kills on other DPS you just win the fight anyways. You can also run Zen to get your damage up. Ana+Zen is actually a pretty decent damage boost even with 30% discord.

Anyways, there is a lot to play with when it comes to supports rn.

Edit: I guess you could run one tank and two DPS if you just want the damage over the tanks but I dunno. There's stuff there to experiment with.

xaosslug

The response last time I bothered to say something after the match was something like "admit it we already lost"

This came from a guy who in overtime decided it was better to plop down as bastion two feet from point woth half his team running in behind him...and get off maybe two shots before the defeat.

Some people really just don't understand the pros/cons of certain plays. They just think hitting people w bullets is how you win and if you can't do that you lose.

I haven't bothered saying anything post game since.

haha, I was on a team once and a couple guys were mic'd and their exchange was like 'Whatever, we're gonna lose anyway!' as they fucked around in spawn... what happened to HEROES NEVER DIE?! T__T

Jellie

Damage output might not matter if you have constant Ana ult and can extend a fight forever. You basically are loading a lot of your damage into McCree/Zarya which is honestly enough, if the McCree can secure kills on other DPS you just win the fight anyways. You can also run Zen to get your damage up. Ana+Zen is actually a pretty decent damage boost even with 30% discord.

Anyways, there is a lot to play with when it comes to supports rn.

Edit: I guess you could run one tank and two DPS if you just want the damage over the tanks but I dunno. There's stuff there to experiment with.
Triple tank triple support?

komaruR

don't most of the time if you go in with a full group of 4+, you usually get put against another 4+ group too?

in that sense, it just boil down to who got a better group/synergy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wouldn't triple support and triple tank be the set up to negate poke the most?

It's more like they won't win team fights right?

Anne

Wouldn't triple support and triple tank be the set up to negate poke the most?

It's more like they won't win team fights right?

How are you gonna poke with Rein/Zarya/Winston/Ana/Mercy/Zen?

You're just not :p

Oh you can buy those separately? I didn't know that.
The origins skins are pretty bad, anyway.

You can pay the difference between the standard and origins edition to upgrade.

Antiwhippy

How are you gonna poke with Rein/Zarya/Winston/Ana/Mercy/Zen?

You're just not :p

You can pay the difference between the standard and origins edition to upgrade.

Oh, thought you meant they will lose to the enemy team poking them.

komaruR

those that kept asking how they fair in overbuff stats, why not record your gameplay and just show us your playstyle. best provide 1 winning and 1 losing match so people can critique your play at X time/situation.

for ps4, just shareplay; pc, you can use plays.tv then create a clip and upload it.
stats can only tell so much.

Jellie

I can get it if I really want it once I get paid :v

You'd just get eaten up by poke.

What I'm banking on this meta is for there to be more emphasis on poke and a lot less emphasis on hard engage for every single fight.
You'll still need somebody like McCree/Hanzo to play around like that.
Is that due to speed boost and discord nerfs?

I still say the most fun I have in this game is in a QP group that doesn't give a shit about anything and we go ridiculous stacking and such. I wish more people adopted the attitude of QP doesn't really matter so we can just dick around. I mean I lose pretty often, but if we're all having fun then who cares.

I mean I play with friends that take the game on QP way too seriously and will engage in petty bitch fights with random people and it's just tiring to see. I feel like a lot of people that play this game are so competitive or so high strung about something as pointless as QP. Or perhaps this game is just an outlet to be a cock to people because being assertive in person is too much? I dunno. I mean I complain quite a bit about how people play but I still treat them with respect, and I also know that I'm not Seagull Top #1 Hokage Sempai Sama Kawaii and even if I was I wouldn't be immune from losing on a videogame. I just find it kinda sad to see people get so riled up over nothing.

Antiwhippy

You know people keep complaining about zarya's lack of good skins but you know who has it worst?

Soldier 76.

None of them are good.

Anne

Is that due to speed boost and discord nerfs?

Yeah. Speed boost is nerfed just enough to make it so if a team chooses to hard engage without a pretty substantial advantage they are less likely to win the fight. Discord nerf also makes it less likely to burst down a target with that engage. It's still good, but probably not quite strong enough to just mash it out every fight the second somebody is out of position.

If you can just hard engage all the time you're gonna have to poke longer for picks or significant damage. If that becomes substantial enough people might even pick into those poke comps which then means the meta has to follow it.

That or Lucio/Zen is still mindless enough you can jump on anything, but it was really nerfed along with things like Mei getting buffed.

I don't keep up with pro terms. What does "poke" and "flex" mean? I hear these terms a lot, but I don't know what they mean. They sound like simple terms, so I feel kinda dumb for not being able to figure these out :p

Anne

I don't keep up with pro terms. What does "poke" and "flex" mean? I hear these terms a lot, but I don't know what they mean. They sound like simple terms, so I feel kinda dumb for not being able to figure these out :p

Poke is when both teams are kinda of just standing around grouped on their respective sides throwing damage back and forth. Nobody is engaging or going in, both teams are just "poking" at each other with ranged damage looking to get a pick or big advantage.

Flex is just meaning flexible. If you are a "Flex Player" it means you can play multiple roles out of the standard DPS/Tank/Support. If you have a flex pick it means there's a slot on your team that you can have go into a number of different characters that all could work with your comp depending on situation.

xaosslug

You know people keep complaining about zarya's lack of good skins but you know who has it worst?

Soldier 76.

None of them are good.

i like the camo & daredevil-helmet ones... they're certainly better than Zayra's. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

s76's problem is that he's innately boring.

Jellie

Yeah. Speed boost is nerfed just enough to make it so if a team chooses to hard engage without a pretty substantial advantage they are less likely to win the fight. Discord nerf also makes it less likely to burst down a target with that engage. It's still good, but probably not quite strong enough to just mash it out every fight the second somebody is out of position.

If you can just hard engage all the time you're gonna have to poke longer for picks or significant damage. If that becomes substantial enough people might even pick into those poke comps which then means the meta has to follow it.

That or Lucio/Zen is still mindless enough you can jump on anything, but it was really nerfed along with things like Mei getting buffed.
So what would be a good way of negating poke damage?
Poke is damaging from a safe distance hoping to get a kill.
Flex is a flexible role where they can play any character decently I think.

Anne

So what would be a good way of negating poke damage?

Having Rein on your team or something like Mercy that just quickly turns poke into ult charge. Just that and good positioning. Back in Pharmercy meta the game was still fast and had Lucio in it, but it was a lot more poke heavy in the sense that Pharah just poked around with rockets for a bit until it was time to collapse or go hunting for Mercy.

The problem with Lucio/Zen meta is there basically is little to no poking going on at higher levels. It's literally posturing for position and if any type of poke gets off, even damage without a kill, you mash speedboost and go flying in. It's stale, no diversity, easy to do, etc.

Switching characters fucks with Overbuff so bad.

Played 7 QP matches today. It says my stats are 5-2 (correct) and then for the individual heroes it adds up to 4-3. With 0-1 as D.Va and nothing as Winston.

The game in question was against 4 Bastions and two Symmetra's I switched to D.Va to deal with Bastion, but shortly after they went to 4 Symmetra's and one Bastion so I switched to Winson. We won the game.

So on my individual hero stats does D.Va have a loss and Winston nothing? It's not really a huge deal but my confidence in this site is dwindling very quickly. lol

The way I figure it has something to do with how Blizzard tracks wins/losses when you switch between characters. It's really weird, but Overbuff/Masteroverwatch/any other site is pulling directly from Blizzard's stat counters.

The only way I can see it is if the stat tracks by checkpoints or something, that's the only way I can see how somehow you get a loss when you get a victory overall. And if you notice in your stats in the actual Overwatch game, you can see the bars under games won are incrimentally different even if the heroes have the same number of victories. So somehow the game is tracking in a way that tracks win/losses in increments per hero.

Jellie

Having Rein on your team or something like Mercy that just quickly turns poke into ult charge. Just that and good positioning. Back in Pharmercy meta the game was still fast and had Lucio in it, but it was a lot more poke heavy in the sense that Pharah just poked around with rockets for a bit until it was time to collapse or go hunting for Mercy.

The problem with Lucio/Zen meta is there basically is little to no poking going on at higher levels. It's literally posturing for position and if any type of poke gets off, even damage without a kill, you mash speedboost and go flying in. It's stale, no diversity, easy to do, etc.
With Reinhardt, couldn't a team poke at his shield till it was broken or near broken while theirs was intact before engaging/pusbing with speed boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom