• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

YKKImv1.jpg
My Zen :(

matmanx1

New thread and another really bad title. Could have been better.

What? This title is great! I like it a lot better than the last one.

Last few nights I've done nothing but Quick Play and mostly practicing Zarya. It's not gone as badly as I thought it would in terms of getting beaten badly and taking lots of losses and there have been a few moments of greatness in there. Zarya is lots and lots of fun.

On rank up I got a Legendary Gold chest (500 gold) so I went ahead and bought an Emote and a Heroic intro for her. I'm not really making the cards as of yet (although I'm getting lots of medals!) but I figure it's just a matter of time before a PotG comes my way. =P

Arrrammis

I could see Discord orb being nerfed to a 30% damage bonus to be in line with Mercy's 30% damage boost. Seems like it would be pretty balanced IMO.

Discord orb just sucks the fun out of the game as a guy who mainly plays tank. Ugh.

I definitely think discord needs a nerf, but as a guy who tried playing Zenyatta before his health buff - I appreciate being able to live long enough to actually use it now.

Discord orb just sucks the fun out of the game as a guy who mainly plays tank. Ugh.

i'm fine with the nerf since that means i can practice more headshots and still take them out. lol. we're going to get to a point where they just delete him instead ;P it also means they need more healers on the other side like increase the speed lucio restores health but also means nerf his ult charge. no one will win.

What? This title is great! I like it a lot better than the last one.

Last few nights I've done nothing but Quick Play and mostly practicing Zarya. It's not gone as badly as I thought it would in terms of getting beaten badly and taking lots of losses and there have been a few moments of greatness in there. Zarya is lots and lots of fun.

On rank up I got a Legendary Gold chest (500 gold) so I went ahead and bought an Emote and a Heroic intro for her. I'm not really making the cards as of yet (although I'm getting lots of medals!) but I figure it's just a matter of time before a PotG comes my way. =P

Zarya is my favorite character in the game. I love shielding up a teammate just before they get lit up and seeing the other team start running away. She has such an interesting playstyle that really forces you to be aware of your team.

That feeling when you're at 100% charge and you just grouped them up with your ult...

AngryMoth

Oh god, think I've become the asshole that insta-picks genji because it seems to be the most efficient way for me to rank up

Forkball

Had a great match on the Russian map. On the last point we almost had it, but their Winston single handedly saved the game for them with the ult. In the final minute, we make one last push, almost cap it again, but the dreaded WINSTON pops his ult and knocks almost everyone off again. Fortunately as Rein I had my ult, stunned him outside of the point, then me and another guy capped it while Winston was collapsed on the outside.

Also I got Widowmaker's Olympic outfit. Not the best, but better than a voice line.

Is it possible to nerf a character without killing them completely or buff one without them becoming a must pick if you're Blizzard?

It took McCree about 5 changes to get to the somewhat stable form he's in now.
Zen was trash then he was OP as hell.
Mercy, always used-->never used
Solider, good-->useless

You get the point, which is why nerf and buff talk always scares me. Obviously Zen needs a change, but I don't trust them at all to keep him viable with a nerf, he'll become trash again. And he's such a great character I'd rather he was always used than never used.

LiK

Is it possible to nerf a character without killing them completely or buff one without them becoming a must pick if you're Blizzard?

Solider, good-->useless

You get the point, which is why nerf and buff talk always scares me. Obviously Zen needs a change, but I don't trust them at all to keep him viable with a nerf, he'll become trash again. And he's such a great character I'd rather he was always used than never used.

the problem with the way Blizzard tweaks their heroes is they don't seem to do it in increments. hey, let's go 50% with Mercy Buff and Zen Discord! sure, that doesn't sound crazy at all until people see how OP they become.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
I hadn't really considered buffing Mercy by giving her another ability like they seem to be thinking about, but it's a super interesting idea!

I think what I would want for her is a toggleable ability which "saves" her next Guardian Angel on the map, dropping down anchor points (similar to those left by dead teammates) at the beginning and end of her next flight path and allowing herself and all her teammates to Guardian Angel to either point at any time. This would provide thoughtful Mercy players with an escape option that they could use even when their teammates abandon them, and would allow for interesting new strategies by enabling tanks and other low-mobility characters to quickly flank or reach high ground.

Probably you'd have to make the anchor points visible to the enemy team to keep it from being too powerful, or perhaps even limit the anchors to a set number of uses, but I think it could be a pretty nifty addition!

the problem with the way Blizzard tweaks their heroes is they don't seem to do it in increments. hey, let's go 50% with Mercy Buff and Zen Discord! sure, that doesn't sound crazy at all until people see how OP they become.

I'm almost positive that a Mei buff doesn't mean that she becomes viable. It means she becomes 85%+ pick rate. I won't be sad to see Genji go, but do we really want a meta with constant ice walls, ice blocks, being frozen? Could become incredibly annoying.

I don't think Blizz wants 22 viable characters. They want a constant 10 or so viable and everyone else is always going from great to awful. 'Moment in the sun type thing' it's on a rotation.

With all this talk of great genjis, can someone give me tips on how to be one of them?

I feel like I die so quickly. Should I be waiting for my team to engage before I try to flank and take out the healer/sniper/bastion?

brian!

I'm almost positive that a Mei buff doesn't mean that she becomes viable. It means she becomes 85%+ pick rate. I won't be sad to see Genji go, but do we really want a meta with constant ice walls, ice blocks, being frozen? Could become incredibly annoying.

I don't think Blizz wants 22 viable characters. They want a constant 10 or so viable and everyone else is always going from great to awful. 'Moment in the sun type thing' it's on a rotation.

This really does seem like the only way things can go unless new feasible modes crop up

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Solider, good-->useless

You can't look at it in a vacuum really. It's not about great to awful, it's about what's optimal in which situation. You can't just simply read the tier list and go "oh he's here, so he must be OP/good/thrash".

Soldier is still good, it's just that with mccree being able to oneshot with discord, why use soldier? Soldier is still used where people can go for a high ground though.

Mercy was always used because the only viable healers were her and lucio, so with zen on the scene, she gets pushed out.

So what's the common denominator in all this?

I love zen but man, it's very clear that the meta revolves around him too much now.

Antiwhippy

Also does the PC meta even matter for people who play on consoles? Don't console peeps still have trouble with pharah?

protonium

With all this talk of great genjis, can someone give me tips on how to be one of them?

I feel like I die so quickly. Should I be waiting for my team to engage before I try to flank and take out the healer/sniper/bastion?

There's a Youtuber named Ginger who's a Genji main and seems to have decent videos on him. Anne, in this thread, has mentioned doing a write-up on Genji too.

Edit: Looks like I missed that post already

Also does the PC meta even matter for people who play on consoles? Don't console peeps still have trouble with pharah?

McCree keeps her grounded pretty well.

McCree + Discord and she'll either switch or have no impact at all.

A good one can still wreck an uncoordinated team, but it doesn't happen very much anymore.

Permanently A

Fuck yes, got Lucio's legendary. The boxes have been really good to me especially considering I didn't buy any. Total haul over.. 25 ish boxes.

B. Va
Zarya's Weightlifter
Lucio's Selecao

McCree's American
Torbjorn's Tre Kronor

Tracer's Hurdle highlight intro (I will probably never get to use it lol, I'm terrible at her)
Lucio's soccer emote

Not bad, not bad at all. Hope in the remaining 10 days I will be lucky enough to pick up Genji's Nihon.

Antiwhippy

A good one can still wreck an uncoordinated team, but it doesn't happen very much anymore.

Alright, so relatively the same now then.

But really, I just think people don't need to freak out about balance changes that much? Especially so early on, and also when they seem committed to actually changing things fairly frequently. They like to swing for the fences but to me it seems like their way of stressing the system to see what needs fine-tuning.

I mean it took awhile, but I think mccree is in a good place right now.

xaosslug

wat? Why should Mei's ult projectile be able to pierce Rein's shield? WTF? And why does the radius of her ult need to be bigger? This fucking mess. -__-

i mean unless they make that little robot thingy destructible (by shooting at it while she's ulting) they are making a character w/ a fairly uncounterable ult even more op!

wat? Why should Mei's ult projectile be able to pierce Rein's shield? WTF? And why does the radius of her ult need to be bigger? This fucking mess. -__-

i mean unless they make that little robot thingy destructible (by shooting at it while she's ulting) they are making a character w/ a fairly uncounterable ult even more op!
Incoming Mei defenders will tel you that you can easily escape Mei's ult as long as your ult is charged and there is literally no one else nearby!

Antiwhippy

Wut.

Um how so does this game decide fair matchups?

Team avg was something like 67/70.
No wonder half our team left before the end.
Also do the lines mean theyre grouped up?

Edit:
Welp and the next match is 65/71

Anne

also if you have any questions ask. I'm SR70 on PC atm as a DPS main and my Genji is good enough I think.

Antiwhippy

Also i can't actually think of any ults that can be used to counter mei's ult.

That's really not how it works.

No seriously it's literally a much worse graviton surge right now. The only perk it has is that it charges fast.

Blues1990

From my experience, anyone can easily escape Mei's ult. Both Genji and Lucio can dash/speed boost out, for example.

brian!

Ive had this be my experience all patch but last night the defence pharah on anubis was so real, cant get a clear shot on her at all w/ the platforms and pillars and all she has to do is the peek shot game

xaosslug

like they nerf freaking Symm who is already made a of paper, yet let's buff a character that is seen as the devil incarnate and is ALREADY heavily used by the fanbase to troll entire teams... for all we know that 'Mei bug' a while ago where her walls didn't break after a while is gonna be a future Mei update/buff! -____________-

From my experience, anyone can easily escape Mei's ult. Both Genji and Lucio can dash/speed boost out, for example.

if it's OT and she ults on the point or payload it's game over unless you're any of the Z's and have shields or ult ready. Running from it is not a counter. LOL That said Mei's little robot ult thing SHOULD NOT be able to pierce shields. That's ridiculous.

Also i can't actually think of any ults that can be used to counter mei's ult.

That's really not how it works.

No seriously it's literally a much worse graviton surge right now. The only perk it has is that it charges fast.
Someone on here posted a video showing how "easy" it was to escape Mei's ult and like 4 of the characters had to use their ult to get out of it.

It's not a worse graviton surge because it literally makes players indefensible. Graviton surge can be countered by many standard abilities such as Reinhardt or DVa shield and you can also fight back while in it.

Antiwhippy

like they nerf freaking Symm who is already made a of paper, yet let's buff a character that is seen as the devil incarnate and is ALREADY heavily used by the fanbase to troll entire teams... for all we know that 'Mei bug' a while ago where her walls didn't break after a while is gonna be a future Mei update/buff! -____________-

Most of the fanbase is bad at the game though.

LiK

yea, i don't get it either. she's quite capable already.

Anne

The Mei buff they are talking about seems reasonable. It probably shouldve pierced shields from the start tbh. The radius buff is unnecessary but I mean I don't see that making her crazy.

Literally all Blizzard said they wanted to do cause they thought she was close to good to begin with.

LiK

the only thing Mei is good for is blocking her own teammates with her dumb walls. I swear anyone who plays Mei needs to figure out using her walls especially in Comp.

Defuser

Um how so does this game decide fair matchups?

Team avg was something like 67/70.
No wonder half our team left before the end.
Also do the lines mean theyre grouped up?

Edit:
Welp and the next match is 65/71
A rank 45 getting a top 500 mark.

This is why I hate Blizzard's matchmaking and their 50% winrate algorithm. They are doing the exact same mistake as Bungie does for Destiny. Doing a team avg to even out is the dumbest thing ever so people who group with their buddies lower than them resulting cases like this where matching pull them in to even out the team average when you know it's gonna be a curbstomp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom