• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

like they nerf freaking Symm who is already made a of paper, yet let's buff a character that is seen as the devil incarnate and is ALREADY heavily used by the fanbase to troll entire teams... for all we know that 'Mei bug' a while ago where her walls didn't break after a while is gonna be a future Mei update/buff! -____________-

An easily solution for an ally Mei to stop ice walling her allies to hassle them, is to disable that ability in the respawn chamber, in addition to a radius of 25-30 feet from the entrance. (Or around that distance.)

Mei isn't a remotely dangerous threat, as she can't even waddle herself out of danger. In the instance for Reaper, his very high damage close up is often enough to stop Mei from freezing him in time. Wraithform also help out a lot if one doesn't manage to kill Mei in time. McCree can stop a Mei with Flashbang + FOH, and Junkrat is capable of placing his Concussion Mine and/or a Steel Trap right next to her, allowing for easy damage or immobilization.

Arrrammis

Also does the PC meta even matter for people who play on consoles? Don't console peeps still have trouble with pharah?

PS4 here, can confirm that Pharah is still really good in this meta on consoles. Even in the mid 60's of competitive play, if I'm doing well as pharah the only major threats to me are Soldiers using their aimbot, Tobjorn turrets (although I usually rocket snipe these easily from outside of their range), and Zenyatta.

The PC meta matters, but not in an up-front way. It seems that Blizzard doesn't really pay attention to useage of characters on console, and buffs/nerfs characters based on the PC meta. It means that nerfing sharpshooter characters (Hanzo, Widowmaker, McCree) on console based on PC usage makes them incredibly underpowered on console, where people can't flick headshot opponents and generally miss 90% of their shots. The only console-exclusive change was a nerf to Tobjorns turret damage, which I agree was much needed on console more than PC.

Beckx

Mei buff seems fine.

the real Mei buff would be to put "PLEASE USE ME TO SEPARATE THE ENEMY TEAM, NOT YOUR OWN" on her ice wall.

Btw, last night I fired off a DVa ult mech at a Reinhardt and I swear the shield stopped it from moving.

Did it just reach max distance or is that a known thing? Cus if the mech projectile (not talking about the explosion) doesn't penetrate his shield I don't see why Mei's thing should.

xaosslug

if they want to get ridiculous w/ their character 'fixing' why don't they make Widowmaker be able to pull herself to other characters (opposite of Roadhog's hook) to get all up in dat ass w/ her machine gun? And let Symm place her turrets on friendlies... >_>

LiK

so I have a question about Pharah for consoles now. She was my main in QP for a while. I was wondering if you guys use her aim assist or not. Heard it's better without?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Someone on here posted a video showing how "easy" it was to escape Mei's ult and like 4 of the characters had to use their ult to get out of it.

It's not a worse graviton surge because it literally makes players indefensible. Graviton surge can be countered by many standard abilities such as Reinhardt or DVa shield and you can also fight back while in it.

You can absorb blizzard with dm like you can with graviton surge.

Also lol thinking you need to blow ults to get away from blizzard.

a) you actually have time to run away from blizzard before freeze, unlike graviton.

b) she calls out her ult before she throws it out unlike zarya who calls out while she throws her ult, so there's even more time to react.

c) blizzard causes people to scatter more unlike graviton which bunches people up from scattered positions.

Like, the only way i can see graviton being less effective than blizzard is people playing at really low levels.

There's a reason why zarya is such a popular tank and mei is at the bottom with the rest of the defense category.

You can absorb blizzard with dm like you can with graviton surge.

Also that video is super misleading then, because:

a) you actually have time to run away from blizzard before freeze, unlike graviton.

b) she calls out her ult before she throws it out unlike zarya who calls out while she throws her ult, so there's even more time to react.

c) blizzard causes people to scatter more unlike graviton which bunches people up from scattered positions.

Like, the only way i can see graviton being less effective than blizzard is people playing at really low levels.

There's a reason why zarya is such a popular tank and mei is at the bottom with the rest of the defense category.
In that case then, I guess I would say Graviton Surge is worse than Blizzard with unorganised teams. With unorganised teams, Blizzard freezes the heroes trapped within it allowing Mei or any of the other characters nearby to pick them off one by one, whereas often (at least in my experiences) disorganised teams with a Zarya tend not to capitalise on her ult. particularly if there is a Reinhardt, who can just shut down a Zarya ult if there's not enough pressure from the rest of the team.

So does blizzard hate me.
ZR373EXh.jpg

I just so happen to have my next match be with another completely random 3 group of Top 500 players ://////

I love Lijang map aswell.

yes, lines indicate groups.

Thanks

xaosslug

An easily solution for an ally Mei to stop ice walling her allies to hassle them, is to disable that ability in the respawn chamber, in addition to a radius of 25-30 feet from the entrance. (Or around that distance.)

Mei isn't a remotely dangerous threat, as she can't even waddle herself out of danger. In the instance for Reaper, his very high damage close up is often enough to stop Mei from freezing him in time. Wraithform also help out a lot if one doesn't manage to kill Mei in time. McCree can stop a Mei with Flashbang + FOH, and Junkrat is capable of placing his Concussion Mine and/or a Steel Trap right next to her, allowing for easy damage or immobilization.

are you kidding? A capable/aware Mei is incredibly dangerous. 1v1 Mei would kill every character you've mentioned. I mean if it takes multiple characters and numerous 'tricks' to take out one person I would say they are pretty freaking dangerous.

LiK

So does blizzard hate me.

I just so happen to have my next match be with another completely random 3 group of Top 500 players ://////

I love Lijang map aswell.

Thanks

yea, pretty much. the MM is complete garbage. i even had one where a full group played against a team of full of randoms. not even partial groups. guess who got slaughtered?

if you solo q, you should not be matched up against full groups at all. partial groups are okay. i cannot imagine that the player pool in Comp is so low that it does that.

Antiwhippy

In that case then, I guess I would say Graviton Surge is worse than Blizzard with unorganised teams. With unorganised teams, Blizzard freezes the heroes trapped within it allowing Mei or any of the other characters nearby to pick them off one by one, whereas often (at least in my experiences) disorganised teams with a Zarya tend not to capitalise on her ult. particularly if there is a Reinhardt, who can just shut down a Zarya ult if there's not enough pressure from the rest of the team.

Well nobody is going to balance around disorganized teams.

If anything is say that blizzard has an even bigger disadvantage with disorganized teams because it's best values comes from having people bunched up closely in the first place.

Also i have done way, WAAAAAAAAY more wombo combos with graviton than blizzard. And I'd say 80% of my teams are fairly unorganized.

Nazo

Oh great, Mei buffs. Now the most annoying character in the game will probably be even MORE annoying.

Just what I wanted...

Discord nerf is pretty cool though. Its a little crazy as it is now.

yea, pretty much. the MM is complete garbage. i even had one where a full group played against a team of full of randoms. not even partial groups. guess who got slaughtered?

if you solo q, you should not be matched up against full groups at all. partial groups are okay. i cannot imagine that the player pool in Comp is so low that it does that.
:///

Antiwhippy

are you kidding? A capable/aware Mei is incredibly dangerous. 1v1 Mei would kill every character you've mentioned. I mean if it takes multiple characters and numerous 'tricks' to take out one person I would say they are pretty freaking dangerous.

No.

No.

It's not that mei is dangerous, it's that those people are bad players.

Like, this is the weirdest statement I've read all day. There's no way mei can out dps a reaper or mccree before she gets freeze.

xaosslug

srsly, when 4 members of your team are huddled around an iceblock'd Mei in preparation to murder her it's pretty telling how dangerous she is already.

Well nobody is going to balance around disorganized teams.

If anything is say that blizzard has an even bigger disadvantage with disorganized teams because it's best values comes from having people bunched up closely in the first place.

Also i have done way, WAAAAAAAAY more wombo combos with graviton than blizzard. And I'd say 80% of my teams are fairly unorganized.
But disorganised teams is probably 90% of the matches that happen, at least on consoles where nobody uses a mic and there is no text chat.

I guess we will just have to disagree but I don't think Mei's ult needs buffing. It will be interesting to see what the general opinion is afterwards, I might be completely wrong. :p

Defuser

From my playing of Mei, I feel she is basically fucked when it comes to payload maps because the nature of the maps is open space and full of flank points.

Mei shines in assault maps on the attacking side because her wall can fend of attacks on the chokepoints so her team can filter to the right or left rooms, her wall also delay enemies coming out of their spawn rooms. Her ult is similar to Hanzo as its use to keep people off the point so its good if you need a few more seconds to cap the points without interference.

As for KOTH maps, only Nepal I feel she is good because she can walled off the huge entrance of the 2 maps to delay the enemy from reaching the point and her ult can actually clear those cramp points.

As a group she can be viable, 1v1 she is dead.

Antiwhippy

srsly, when 4 members of your team are huddled around an iceblock'd Mei in preparation to murder her it's pretty telling how dangerous she is already.

It's more like she's an easy kill once she gets out of ice block more than anything.

Anne

Mei's best map is a payload/hybrid

Mei is also shit in a 1v1. She's only close to viable cause wall wins organized fights.

She's not that dangerous or annoying unless you have no awareness or can't shoot.

I don't get frozen and think "dumb ice bitch man fuck that." I think "I fucked up hard enough to deserve this."

xaosslug

No.

No.

It's not that mei is dangerous, it's that those people are bad players.

Like, this is the weirdest statement I've read all day.

lmao, what? Mei can freeze every one of those characters 1v1 w/o using any of her abilities (except, maybe, cryo to counter Reaper's wraith or Mc's flashbang) and just skip off unscathed. Let's seriously not.

they can't really do anything with mei walls because i know they can fuck you up and they can't make it invisible to your team because there's some advantage to have it solid (Let junkrat spam it if she sets it behind the enemy. and lucio can use it to wall ride. i did watch a stream where the mei would leave the wall up knowing well they need to take it down. it's like they don't know you can take it down with the same button you put it up.

Permanently A

Mei is pretty bad. Like all of the defense heroes are pretty awful right now. But this is the same tricky balancing act Blizzard had with Bastion. At the top levels he is garbage, at the low levels he is OP. Similar for Mei. If they buff her people at the top might finally start picking a defense hero (especially since Mei is one of the few that can stop the Lucio speedboost in + Discord pick + 5 v 6 snowball fight strat) but people who don't play at that level will be furious.

Anne

lmao, what? Mei can freeze every one of those characters 1v1 w/o using any of her abilities (except, maybe, cryo to counter Reaper's wraith or Mc's flashbang) and just skip off unscathed. Let's seriously not.

If you get frozen by Mei 1v1 as a DPS, you deserved to die for losing to an immobile character with no significant DPS.

Antiwhippy

And both mccree and reaper can kill her with 2 headshots before freeze comes into effect.

Also both have really easy ways to stop her freezing.

Like the only way mei can win against them 1v1 is if she gets the drop on them, but you can say that for literally every character.

xaosslug

No thats just easy picking.

It's more like she's an easy kill once she gets out of ice block more than anything.

nah, most peeps ignore Mei until she makes her presence absolutely known (through numerous kills), and then she's pretty much the highest priority team target only under Zenny. Even Bastion is ignored if he's out of the way, but a good team never leaves Mei alone.

Nazo

Seriously, mei being able to 1v1 reaper? Barely anyone can 1v1 reaper in his range.

Except Mei's Cryo Freeze has like a 1 frame start up that gives her full health, where Reaper is stuck with the health he has and try and fight her again or to completely disengage and run back to his team.. And if reaper doesn't have his wraith form up hes kinda screwed if he stays around and fights.

(I play on console so its probably a different experience entirely for me.)

nah, most peeps ignore Mei until she makes her presence absolutely known (through numerous kills), and then she's pretty much the highest priority team target only under Zenny. Even Bastion is ignored if he's out of the way, but a good team never leaves Mei alone.
What game are you playing man? Lmao

I find it incredibly funny that this statement is taken as Seagull, let alone me, saying that they should remove Lucio's healing. Nobody ever said that. Seagull (and I agree with him there) said that Lucio's speed boost is so powerful and has such a profound impact on the game that they could remove Lucio's healing entirely and he would still be a pick in high level play.

Most low to mid level Lucio players don't even use the speed boost all that often. Of course it has little to no impact on your games. But that isn't the point. The point is that at high level of play, Lucio's speed boost is what completely dominates the meta and completely pushes various strategies, and with that characters, out of viability.

So why are you so vehemently defending the speed boost? Clearly it has not much influence on you personally if they reduce its strength. But it definitely ties down the meta in high level play to the point where Lucio has been picked in almost every tournament game ever. Just because other heroes overshadow him (Mercy at launch, Zenyatta right now) does not mean that his impact on the meta should be ignored or is in any way negligible.
Lol you assume I play at low to mid level play. I'm at rank 70 and I've never seen speed boost be that much of an influence in winning games. I play Lucio very regularly and use speed boost with him and never found that I was making this impact that you think it makes.

And I've seen some great Lucios in my games.

Antiwhippy

Except Mei's Cryo Freeze has like a 1 frame start up that gives her full health, where Reaper is stuck with the health he has and try and fight her again or to completely disengage and run back to his team.. And if reaper doesn't have his wraith form up hes kinda screwed if he stays around and fights.

(I play on console so its probably a different experience entirely for me.)

Maybe? Like, on pc here and i don't worry about freeze as reaper because 2 headshots and she's dead.

Honestly as mei i'd rather just icicle him at midrange then go into his range to freeze him.

xaosslug

If she's that good then why does no one pick her?

could it be... Satan?
If you get frozen by Mei 1v1 as a DPS, you deserved to die for losing to an immobile character with no significant DPS.

And both mccree and reaper can kill her with 2 headshots before freeze comes into effect.

Also both have really easy ways to stop her freezing.

Like the only way mei can win against them 1v1 is if she gets the drop on them, but you can say that for literally every character.

y'all are imagining Mei up against these amazing headshot expert players, yet the Mei player is some amateour scrub? Mess. -__-

Beckx

what is McCree doing playing inside Mei's range?

fun factoid: Mei's gun won't even kill Mercy with a full freeze, she has to either refreeze, or reload and go for the ice needle, or try to melee, or something.

If she's that good then why does no one pick her?

i'm convinced people are traumatized by the few times they run into a really good Mei who flanks for freezes & isolates for the team to kill.

she makes people seriously angry.

Anne

Lol you assume I play at low to mid level play. I'm at rank 70 and I've never seen speed boost be that much of an influence in winning games. I play Lucio very regularly and use speed boost with him and never found that I was making this impact that you think it makes.

I'd call SR70 on console mid level play.

Yeah, clearly your personal games in competitive are much more indicative of how the meta is currently looking like than tournament stats and results.

I'm tired of arguing with you about this. Clearly to you, Lucio is 100% perfect as he is, and lowering his speed boost apparently means he's useless trash, even though according to you, it makes no difference anyway.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Guy leaves so we lose, that definitely reflects my skill level and I definitely deserved to lose a rank.

Antiwhippy

It's not that hard to headshot as reaper.

Mccree is a bit trickier but stun fth at least forces her to cryo, and by then you can get into a range where you can easily pick her off or force her to get away.

Also why the hell is mccree going into her freezing range in the first place anyway? He's an insane midrange dps. He should be picking mei off from the midrange away from freezing range.

Nazo

Maybe? Like, on pc here and i don't worry about freeze as reaper because 2 headshots and she's dead.

I honestly feel that on console Mei is a much bigger problem. From what I've seen of people playing the PC version (mostly Seagull) Is that since PC players can aim with a mouse they of course have faster and more precise aim. But on console, and the nature of controllers generally make aiming harder and slower. So I feel it its a lot harder to retaliate against a Mei who's freezing you because you're aim slows to a near stand still. I do agree she is pretty non existent in the meta (even on console) but she is definitely more viable on console compared to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom