• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pox upon everyone who chooses Mei, Torb or Sym in comp.

Unless you're in the top 80th percentile of that hero, your hero sucks and you keep costing us the match. Just stop.

I mean it's possible lol.
Mei and Torb, I can agree, but I've had some pretty successful matches in 2CP in comp with Symm where I was getting constant TPs and I felt like I was contributing to the team very well.

Unless you're talking about payload or KOTH, theeeen screw Symm.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, unless the opposite team is really good at running luciyetta deathball strats or running pharmercy mei can be pretty damn effective on D for various maps.

>Play competitive
>Be Rank 61
>Get matched with 54 and 46, map Watchpoint: Gibraltar
>Enemy team all above 61
>Have 0:10 Gold Obj. time
4xMFinE.png

>Point out to entire team they're not contesting payload as enemy team gets it all the way up to the last point
>Unsuccessfully defend last point for 1 minute
>Our turn
>Can't get it past 1st checkpoint because team can't kill anything
>Lose
pFjHrz5.jpg
Post has me laughing stupid. I almost always go support in comp, so I totally understand the frustration of both running around the payload for a minute at the checkpoint as Lucio, jumping like an asshole, and your team not killing shit. It's rage inducing, but damn it can be funny sometimes 🙇

Mei and Torb, I can agree, but I've had some pretty successful matches in 2CP in comp with Symm where I was getting constant TPs and I felt like I was contributing to the team very well.

Unless you're talking about payload or KOTH, theeeen screw Symm.
It was a hybrid. Hollywood.

As always happens on that map, teleporter down, destroyed in seconds. What does that player switch to after losing the first two points? Torb -______-
I'm in the 94th percentile as Mei. Do I win something?
Yes you do.

2774337-tumblr_m017ynxttd1qekwfr.jpg

You're actually a very good Mei.
I dunno, unless the opposite team is really good at running luciyetta deathball strats or running pharmercy mei can be pretty damn effective on D for various maps.
This might be a legitimate defense for her if running Luciyetta wasn't one of the easiest OP combos in the game.

Speaking of Torb, they really need to give his turret damage back. It was only stacking that was the problem, not that Swedish little dwarf ;__;

I also learned today that there is an animal called Aardvark. Little Torb fact there that I found kind of funny.

Yes you do.

You're actually a very good Mei.

The funny thing is that I never even use Mei in comp. I can't bring myself to pick anything but my best characters or whatever the team needs.

Speaking of Torb, they really need to give his turret damage back. It was only stacking that was the problem, not that Swedish little dwarf ;__;

I also learned today that there is an animal called Aardvark. Little Torb fact there that I found kind of funny.

Wait, you're joking, right? You actually didn't know aardvarks were a thing? If I'm not mistaken, it's literally the first word in the English dictionary.

Veelk

Banned

Problem is that they still have stacking in QP.

They can't balance around both stacking and non-stacking modes simultaneously and should get rid of stacking altogether.

They can't balance around both stacking and non-stacking modes simultaneously and should get rid of stacking altogether.

Blizzard seems to be content with QP just being an unbalanced mess 99% of the time.

But even Torbs current damage is still hard to beat with stacking. 6 turrets will be an annoyance no matter how much damage they do and will still be a powerful strat.

Giving his damage back won't make much of a difference in the long run. 6 torbs will still be just as much of a pain.

But even Torbs current damage is still hard to beat with stacking. 6 turrets will be an annoyance no matter how much damage they do and will still be a powerful strat.

The only way I think they could balance stacking would be to scale characters down in terms of damage/health/etc for each extra one on a team.

So, you could have 6 Torbs that each do like 20% of their normal damage or something.

The only way I think they could balance stacking would be to scale characters down in terms of damage/health/etc for each extra one on a team.
Yeah but QP is about getting ready for comp. If a heroes stats keep changing because of stacking, there won't be any consistency with how the characters play and it will be harder for people to learn characters.

Wait, you're joking, right? You actually didn't know aardvarks were a thing? If I'm not mistaken, it's literally the first word in the English dictionary.
Heh, I've never had to look at the first page of the dictionary. Usually when I use a dictionary, it's for a word later in the book and I just never saw Aardvark. I usually just flip open the the book where I think the general vicinity of a word is.
im lazy

Edit: I need to stop DPing. I always think the thread is moving faster than it actually is ;_;

Yeah but QP is about getting ready for comp. If a heroes stats keep changing because of stacking, there won't be any consistency with how the characters play and it will be harder for people to learn characters.

It now seems to be about just messing around with incredibly dumb strategies and team comps. Seems like Blizzard wants you to practice comp within comp itself.

WhyMe6

I love Mei. I love it when she freezes herself amongst a firefight and you have a pulse bomb explode on her juuuuust as she unfreezes <3

Veelk

Banned

That's not what QP should be though. QP should be where you go to have a casual fun time vs comp where you play seriously. Casual fun doesn't mean "Enjoy some hilariously broken shit, losers" though. If QP was more balanced, I might very well be playing it more than comp.

And I can't speak for others, but I don't feel I learn anything in QP because of how awful team comp usually is. Whatever I learn about how a character functions, you learn it better just by playing Comp instead even if you have to eat a match while doing so.

Heh, I've never had to look at the first page of the dictionary. Usually when I use a dictionary, it's for a word later in the book and I just never saw Aardvark. I usually just flip open the the book where I think the general vicinity of a word is.
im lazy

Edit: I need to stop DPing. I always think the thread is moving faster than it actually is ;_;

Fun fact about Aardvarks: There are no fun or interesting facts about aardvarks.

It now seems to be about just messing around with incredibly dumb strategies and team comps. Seems like Blizzard wants you to practice comp within comp itself.
I'm talking about for people who are just starting the game and trying to reach level 25. I would be totally confused if, say, McCree was clicking for me one match, but the next match he starts sucking for me because some other turd decided to pick the same hero and nerf his stats and people might think "wow I must've just got lucky and this hero actually just sucks, let's not play him." I feel it would be hard to get good with a character if there were inconsistencies like that that kept changing there stats.

I'm talking about for people who are just starting the game and trying to reach level 25. I would be totally confused if, say, McCree was clicking for me one match, but the next match he starts sucking for me because some other turd decided to pick the same hero and nerf his stats and people might think "wow I must've just got lucky and this hero actually just sucks, let's not play him." I feel it would be hard to get good with a character if there were inconsistencies like that that kept changing here stats.

Look man, I don't know anything about game design. I'm just here for the salt and memes.

You're right though.

Antiwhippy

This might be a legitimate defense for her if running Luciyetta wasn't one of the easiest OP combos in the game.

But then that means that every team should just be luciyetta, zarya + a tank not named roadhog, mccree + reaper/genji/tracer. Which I think is unreasoable for the level most of us play at.

Like let's be honest here. None of us are playing at or are playing with people that have maxed out their skill to the point where it's all about min-maxing their character choices.

Defuser

*Press Quick play*

"Entering Dorado"

*Heards overtime tune played* Team can't even push to the first point

Me: "FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!"

R0ckman

Its really hard to find a good group for comp, my friends list has grown huge from meeting with people but its like a mix of good players and casuals and I cant remember who is who so even when we group I have to get a feel for what I need to call out. There have been so many games just tonight where if I stressed a call out we probably would have won. A reaper we spooked away that was hiding on top of a ledge on the Winston map, I said watch out for the Reaper as we were making the push a little bit passed that first gate. I had to protect my group as Rein from a D.Va ult so after I take the ult with my sheild and charge her I notice my team wipping from the Reaper dropping down and ulting why did not one person chase him down? They were asking for him to drop down from the back and wipe them.

Another match as McCree on the Darado map, on defense I circle around the back and kill three of their team by myself. As I come back to the group from circling I notice everyone is dead and I'm facing off with a Rein and D.Va by myself. What the?

Its very frustrating and does effect my play. Instead of focusing on my personal engagements I'm constantly looking to see if my team is in need of help and getting really nervous. In one game they joked as in a play of the game in the enemy team it shows them wiping my team on Hanamura as we defended point A and me coming out and killing 3 of their team mates with Cree headshots and the play ends with me killing the ulting guy who slaughtered my team. They said I cleaned up the mess they left lol.

No one is perfect and I'm not always 100% aware of whats going on during my matches but man, the awareness the average players have of the maps is absolutely terrible. I just realized also how damaging it is when I player does not know how to maximize the use of a character. When there was character stacking I could just stealth switch to soilder and kill the surprise bastion the other 76 is not focusing on, especially when we have a Rein.

Heel

>Play competitive
>Be Rank 61
>Get matched with 54 and 46, map Watchpoint: Gibraltar
>Enemy team all above 61
>Have 0:10 Gold Obj. time
4xMFinE.png

>Point out to entire team they're not contesting payload as enemy team gets it all the way up to the last point
>Unsuccessfully defend last point for 1 minute
>Our turn
>Can't get it past 1st checkpoint because team can't kill anything
>Lose
pFjHrz5.jpg

NeatEllipticalBichonfrise-size_restricted.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Post has me laughing stupid. I almost always go support in comp, so I totally understand the frustration of both running around the payload for a minute at the checkpoint as Lucio, jumping like an asshole, and your team not killing shit. It's rage inducing, but damn it can be funny sometimes &#128583;
Oh, I forgot to mention: I wasn't even support. &#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

I was Reaper.

5iZ4yRY.gif

But then that means that every team should just be luciyetta, zarya + a tank not named roadhog, mccree + reaper/genji/tracer. Which I think is unreasoable for the level most of us play at.

Like let's be honest here. None of us are playing at or are playing with people that have maxed out their skill to the point where it's all about min-maxing their character choices.
I don't think there's a real compelling reason to use Mei even at low level play when there's better options to be had, even outside of the absurdly easy Luciyetta combo.

She's an annoyance at best and next to useless at worst.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Down to 59 because team refused to change composition. The game was on Nepal. After we lost the 1st round I mentioned in the chat that Overwatch is a team game and the Hanzo took it personally, he spent the rest of the game lambasting our Soldier, I was Zenyatta, lol.

Antiwhippy

I don't think there's a real compelling reason to use Mei even at low level play when there's better options to be had, even outside of the absurdly easy Luciyetta combo.

She's an annoyance at best and next to useless at worst.

No, not really. With the decline of pharrah pros have been actually trying out mei for chokepoint heavy maps like king's row, hanamura, etc. etc. Mixed results, but it shows some potential with some tweaks.

Honestly, mei's toolkit is actually really fucking good on defense. Like, a kit that can essentially turn a 6v6 situation into a 3v6 situation for 4 seconds? That's really fucking good. Problem is, and this is also why I hesitate bringing her out for comp, is that randoms are often so scattered that I find it very hard to find a team that can actually take advantage of it.

Also most meis just don't use the wall right.

Played a stressful comp match and won, wanted to play one qp match to cool down.

Enemy team is Hanzo, Hanzo, Hanzo, Hanzo, Genji, and Zenyatta.
Went against 6 Hanzos once. They never contested the payload. Even a guy on mic was like "this is gonna be an easy win" when we figured out the comp. Most boring match of all time, but hilarious nonetheless.

Anne

No, not really. With the decline of pharrah pros have been actually trying out mei for chokepoint heavy maps like king's row, hanamura, etc. etc. Mixed results, but it shows some potential with some tweaks.

Honestly, mei's toolkit is actually really fucking good on defense. Like, a kit that can essentially turn a 6v6 situation into a 3v6 situation for 4 seconds? That's really fucking good. Problem is, and this is also why I hesitate bringing her out for comp, is that randoms are often so scattered that I find it very hard to find a team that can actually take advantage of it.

This is pretty correct. It has less to do with chokes and just have multiple areas where wall can force an uneven fight,

Down to 59 because team refused to change composition. The game was on Nepal. After we lost the 1st round I mentioned in the chat that Overwatch is a team game and the Hanzo took it personally, he spent the rest of the game lambasting our Soldier, I was Zenyatta, lol.

honestly i need to see some reports what's up with hanzo players. something isn't right.

I mean, asking for consistent enough placement to get the numbers advantage seems like a big thing to ask, plus it's so situational.

I'd personally just rather have a competent DPS instead since a good flanker is already playing the numbers game for you.

But whatever.

R0ckman

Actually on bad teams its usuallly the team is too spread out or too gathered. I always tell them to have a solid defense and group up in terms of awareness not to take it as literal as they can.

The problem is that not everyone is a tactician, I had a Genji in a comp game command a group up only to immediately dash out of the group waste his ult and die almost immediately. Grouping up also doesn't mean charge at the group from the same direction. You are better off making a push when the team is scattered in different directions. And they dont have a view of everything that is going on.

I dont see how so many people can't come up with basic strategies.

Antiwhippy

I mean, asking for consistent enough placement to get the numbers advantage seems like a big thing to ask, plus it's so situational.

I'd personally just rather have a competent DPS instead since a good flanker is already playing the numbers game for you.

But whatever.

That's what i mean. On this level the attack team is either too scattered trying to flank all the time and the defense team is too scattered trying to cover flankers by themselves. Nobody tries to get an advantage in numbers.

Mei freeze and melee so you save some to ice them in the head. That's my thing. Also make sure to take advantage of riding on tanks using Lucio. Did it on rein lol

Defuser

*Random teammate hanzo keeps getting sniped by enemy Widowmaker, refuses to change out*

Can Blizzard just remove Hanzo from the game already. I'm sick of Hanzo players.

R0ckman

I havent seen a lot of Mei players anymore because it seems like unless she stays tucked in some flank corridor most people will prioritize on killing her. Most games as spon as my team sees the mei she dies faster than she can ice block.

Permanently A

Wouldn't it be marvelous if Symmetra's sentries charged her gun?

I honestly think that would be OP, Symmetra is pretty vicious as is. Her E ability needs a buff, the rest of her kit is pretty balanced imo.

Also playing in a group is fucking great man. I love this game.

Blues1990

Hey, Scorched/Permanently A. Thank you for the awesome games (with the exception of the couple of hiccups from yours truly). I'm back at 43, and I hope to reach 50 soon.

Permanently A

Hey, Scorched/Permanently A. Thank you for the awesome games (with the exception of the couple of hiccups from yours truly). I'm back at 43, and I hope to reach 50 soon.

Nah the hiccups weren't all you, that first game especially they were ROLLING us. I dunno what went wrong. But we turned it around! I think that is the best winning streak I've ever had in ranked. ggwp. Looking forwards to playing again!

Oh, I forgot to mention: I wasn't even support. &#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

I was Reaper.

5iZ4yRY.gif
Lmao, god that sounds awful, An entire team on your ass with a character that gets killed easily against multiple enemies, doing the impossible, then being let down &#128557;

5iZ4yRY.gif

Anne

Apparently there was some bug where Genji's dash just ignores Junkrat's trap. It's getting fixed.

Also while I'm here, more things I notice in games with my lower ranked friends. People are really terrified of going in. Lots of poking and picks but nobody ever goes for a collapse until they are very far ahead.

Antiwhippy

Apparently there was some bug where Genji's dash just ignores Junkrat's trap. It's getting fixed.

Also while I'm here, more things I notice in games with my lower ranked friends. People are really terrified of going in. Lots of poking and picks but nobody ever goes for a collapse until they are very far ahead.

That's the thing that annoys me the most honestly.

Like sometimes I'll have to ask a reinhardt to bloody move forward. Why are you holding up the shield for people to build ult off and not advancing us forward?

Hanamura is especially hell with people who just poke at the gate all day. Poking in this game is fucking weak. There's usually no point for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom