• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't read the last pages of this topic, but are people ok with the D.Va ultimate as it is?

It feels really, REALLY cheap to me right now, and not even a Lucio barrier can save you because of the insane damage it does. It's completely devastating in open areas without a place to hide unless you play a character with some sort of shield. Since the last patch the majority of POTG I've seen are from D.Va's, and in a lot of them it's obvious that there was just no way to counter it, people are caught in shitty situations without any possibility of anticipating such move. It's easy when you see a D.Va flying super high, but with the ones that "shoot" their ult from afar, if you don't have a Reinhardt/Winston/Zarya near you, you're dead.

It's also doesn't help when you die right when you got to cover (like there was some kind of delay of what you were seeing).

I really wish they "nerf this"!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I used to think that lucio's barrier doesn't stop it but it turns out that it actually does nullify a single large burst damage if there is still some left, much like zarya's shield.

Also yeah, they catch you in a shitty situation, so they ult smartly and get kills. I see nothing wrong with that. A lot of the ults are about catching them in a situation to wipe them out.

Beartruck

Didn't read the last pages of this topic, but are people ok with the D.Va ultimate as it is?

It feels really, REALLY cheap to me right now, and not even a Lucio barrier can save you because of the insane damage it does. It's completely devastating in open areas without a place to hide unless you play a character with some sort of shield. Since the last patch the majority of POTG I've seen are from D.Va's, and in a lot of them it's obvious that there was just no way to counter it, people are caught in shitty situations without any possibility of anticipating such move. It's easy when you see a D.Va flying super high, but with the ones that "shoot" their ult from afar, if you don't have a Reinhardt/Winston/Zarya near you, you're dead.

It's also doesn't help when you die right when you got to cover (like there was some kind of delay of what you were seeing).

Eh, before, with the extra second and the fact it damaged her it was borderline useless. At the level im at most people still can react with enough time that its just a "get off the point for 5 seconds" button.

matmanx1

I've had 4 or 5 of Nihon Genji, and still no sign of American McCree, which is the last one I really want. Screw you, RNG god.

I'm the opposite. I have pretty much everything except for Nihon Genji and Korean D.Va. I don't guess I can be too upset with both Lucio's, both Tracer's, American McRee, Mercy, Torb, Zarya, etc. I feel like I've had a pretty good run of Summer Loot.

I used to think that lucio's barrier doesn't stop it but it turns out that it actually does nullify a single large burst damage if there is still some left, much like zarya's shield.

Also yeah, they catch you in a shitty situation, so they ult smartly and get kills. I see nothing wrong with that. A lot of the ults are about catching them in a situation to wipe them out.

Really? Are you sure? If so, I would totally use Lucio's ult to block a D.Va ult. Most of the time I save it for Genji, Reaper or Soldier 76.

Antiwhippy

Ya know, despite the buffs, she's still the 2nd least used tank in pro play.

Mostly because of zen of course. With zen toned down she'll see more use, but zarya, winston and reinhardt are still more versatile. Zarya is good in all situations now that discord is a factor and winston still reigns in KotH.

Alucrid

Banned

i can see it being a problem if you're situational awareness game is lacking. "nerf this" *charging sound* run behind a wall

X-Frame

For those who will be able to buy a golden skin after the Season 1 rewards are handed out, is anyone going to save their Competitive Points?

I wonder if there will be new rewards for S2 since I'm not thrilled about golden skins. What else could the reward?

Antiwhippy

For those who will be able to buy a golden skin after the Season 1 rewards are handed out, is anyone going to save their Competitive Points?

I wonder if there will be new rewards for S2 since I'm not thrilled about golden skins. What else could the reward?

Golden underwear.

Ivan 3414

So how does DVA get her mech after immediately performing her ult even when she doesn't kill anyone? Seems like she's impossible to kill now, at least in casual play

Actually, I'm gonna swear I blocked a D.Va ult as Lucio in Hanamura once. But I tried to do it in Volskaya recently and it didn't work out.

I was checking the damage values of each, and if they are correct, D.Va ult does 1000dmg and Lucio ult can add 500hp, so I don't think it's possible to block it, is it?

More like let's shoot D.Va ult from really far away because it's Overtime and see what we get. After some really long games it's nasty to lose like this :'(

Eh, before, with the extra second and the fact it damaged her it was borderline useless. At the level im at most people still can react with enough time that its just a "get off the point for 5 seconds" button.

Totally agree, but now I think it's too much. At least reduce the damage (500/600) so it can be blocked by Lucio.

Nope. Getting my bae D.Va some bling. She deserves it, put in over 115 hours on her. If there are new rewards in season 2, just gonna work on earning the CP in season 2. But now that you mention it, maybe I'll wait to see what you can buy in season 2, decisions decisions.

Copenap

I would guess there is very very very little chance that there will be new items available for purchase with cp in s2. Keep in mind that probably around 90% of players will not be able to get even one golden gun yet (the average player does not play 100 games per week). There is no reason for Blizz to increase the cp items yet.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think Dva's Ult should have a little less blast radius. Even if you are far away from it, it can still kill you.

Astral

I don't feel like a team player when I'm using Tracer for some reason. I guess I just get paranoid whenever I move too far from the point.

Lee

It bugs me that she can ult when her mech is already dead/dying. Like, you focus fire, take her out, and start to move on to the next target, but wait! Her mech isn't dying, it's actually exploding, LOL! THANKS D.VA! I think she should need to have some health left to call her Ult, or maybe tying the damage her ult does to the amount of hp her mech has? I'm no expert. D.Va sees a ton of use right now on Xbox.

Beckx

dva ult is fine. so many things block it, even the payload. like most other offensive ults, if you get caught completely in the open with no counter ult around, you die. dva's is easier to avoid because you get the call out + the charge time to run.

So using the Ana Challenge, can they even hurt you?

no because she can't headshot.

LiK

I don't feel like a team player when I'm using Tracer for some reason. I guess I just get paranoid whenever I move too far from the point.

She's a flanker so if you can keep them distracted and kill them before they reach the point, you're doing your job.

matmanx1

Anyone have specific goals for the off-season over the next couple of weeks? Mine are:

1) Continue to increase my play-time and comfort level with Zarya. I've really been focusing on her the last couple of weeks and had a good couple of Comp victories with her this weekend.

2) Work on my Heal and Speed boost timings with Lucio. Watching the really good players they seem to switch up Heal and Speed more often than I do. I need to be aware of what my team is doing and use the right boost accordingly.

3) The area where I need the most work is in the DPS group. I don't have a "go-to" DPS character for most maps. I play Reaper a lot on Dorado but he just works so well in that space that I find it easy to perform with him. I need to be comfortable with other DPS characters and be able to use them proficiently if needed on other maps. Mcree seems an obvious choice but I've also always liked Pharah's playstyle despite her being on the endangered species list right now.

Astral

She's a flanker so if you can keep them distracted and kill them before they reach the point, you're doing your job.

I guess I have to do a better job then lol. A few manage to reach the point. I only ever get a few stragglers.

Skii

Decided to play some competitive today and the first game was attack on Hollywood. Me and this Genji manage to wipe out 4 of them including Mercy on our first push. I was really excited because I thought we'd post a competitive time and have a good shot at winning this. Then the rest of my team decides to push up completely to the next checkpoint leaving me (Reaper) and the Genji to push the fucking payload. The Reinhardt, Zenyatta and Dva thought it was their job to fight on the front lines. Me and the Genji spammed numerous times to group up but no one would listen. We looked at each other for a brief moment and we knew we'd lost this match before it had even really started.

After that I had games in Nepal and Luijang Tower and man those were a lot better. I feel like it's much easier to coordinate with randoms and they tend to actually take it seriously. I just ruined my opponents with Reaper.

Still only ended up on rank 49 :/

Anyone have specific goals for the off-season over the next couple of weeks? Mine are:

1) Continue to increase my play-time and comfort level with Zarya. I've really been focusing on her the last couple of weeks and had a good couple of Comp victories with her this weekend.

2) Work on my Heal and Speed boost timings with Lucio. Watching the really good players they seem to switch up Heal and Speed more often than I do. I need to be aware of what my team is doing and use the right boost accordingly.

3) The area where I need the most work is in the DPS group. I don't have a "go-to" DPS character for most maps. I play Reaper a lot on Dorado but he just works so well in that space that I find it easy to perform with him. I need to be comfortable with other DPS characters and be able to use them proficiently if needed on other maps. Mcree seems an obvious choice but I've also always liked Pharah's playstyle despite her being on the endangered species list right now.

I really want to get better with Tracer. I've been practicing lately but would like to step my game up.

I also want to get better at leading a team. A coordinated push is so important when you're on attack and seems to be why I lose a lot of matches. Most teams I'm on have no coordination so I'll have to be the change I want to see. Also would like to learn effective counters some more.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Managed to get my 65 today. I'm definitely not going to do solo queue again next season, that was a rough climb, even for just a couple of ranks.

The deed is done, i am now the proud owner of Pharahs gold rocket launcher

That's what I was originally going to get, though I'm not too sure now since I hardly use her anymore, mainly due to her being less viable in competitive.

Oh, it's today? I thought it was tomorrow.

Oh crap, I forgot I bought a ticket for the Blizz goodies. Hoping to sell the HotS and WoW stuff since I don't play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtxnu5Wmag

^Stream link for those who don't want to go to the hub.

Ending season 1 at 52. Never got higher, currently at 44/45. Rough stuff, but I've learned a lot about the game this season. Ready to shoot for diamond next season!

Copenap

Here's what I don't get. Blizz said they change the current skill rating system 0-100 because it wasn't clear to people why sometimes they gained half a level and sometimes more or less. How does that change in the new system? Sure, you will always move whole ranks but you will still sometimes move up 50 ranks and sometimes 10. I know they had other reasons for this change as well but I remember they specifically mentioned this as reason as well.

Any good tips about this?

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but I basically only use speed on 3 situations: carry my teammates to the point faster; try to help me/them avoid some ultras; keep myself alive when the enemy team/Reaper/Reinhardt gets too close.

I generally don't like speed boost when I'm playing other characters because since I don't expect it, it tends to mess up my movement/aiming, so I tend to avoid using it when I'm playing Lucio.

Note: I always play with randoms, without mic to warn them that I'm going to give speed boost.

Here's what I don't get. Blizz said they change the current skill rating system 0-100 because it wasn't clear to people why sometimes they gained half a level and sometimes more or less. How does that change in the new system? Sure, you will always move whole ranks but you will still sometimes move up 50 ranks and sometimes 10. I know they had other reasons for this change as well but I remember they specifically mentioned this as reason as well.

Say we're going from 0-100 to 0-5000.

You lose, but you only lose 50. You win, but you win 250.

People are saying that they would prefer a solid number than a fraction or the slider after each match.

In reality it's probably just a display change and the backend values are the same, but it gives you a better resolution to your data. Instead of saying "I'm 44 and 3/4ths of the way to 45", you can say I'm 2850.

SCII doesn't necessarily show you a number but it does have the league system that OW will get next season. But you can drop leagues outside of Master / GM in SCII, whereas in OW you can drop below the low limit for a league but not drop out of the league until the next season.

So if I hit platinum but fall down to gold MMR values, it'll still sow me as platinum.

I see that being a bit of an issue, but it shouldn't be too bad if they use the MMR values to matchmake.

Any good tips about this?

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but I basically only use speed on 3 situations: carry my teammates to the point faster; try to help me/them avoid some ultras; keep myself alive when the enemy team/Reaper/Reinhardt gets too close.

I generally don't like speed boost when I'm playing other characters because since I don't expect it, it tends to mess up my movement/aiming, so I tend to avoid using it when I'm playing Lucio.

Note: I always play with randoms, without mic to warn them that I'm going to give speed boost.

Good players should know that a Lucio will switch up from time to time.

I use speed boost for:

- Initial push or emergency pushes
- Respawns
- When people are flanking me and I need to leave
- When people are topped up and I'm not getting meter from heals
- Rein is tanking with shield but needs movement
- Ults like D.Va or Mei that require quick reaction

I would say don't worry about people being off on aim, etc. Just play your role and let people play theirs!

xaosslug

my MAIN goal is to work on strategies to outplay Mei & Zarya & Zenny players as D.Va, because I'm tired of living in fear! (>_<), and just generally work on my D.Va play.

other than that I'm gonna work on my Symm (so that she can be my go to defensive map character, for the most part) murder dancing, try and get better at surviving as Junkrat as well, and git gud @ Zenny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom