• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

If you're in overtime and Mei's ult is what worries you the most, then your team already has problems. Tanks can easily survive on a point inside a Blizzard if they're getting healed by support heroes outside the Blizzard, which any good support should be able to stay out of range when they're positioning themselves to account for upcoming ultimates. Before this buff, Mei's ultimate was pretty easy to avoid or survive through if expecting it.

The size increase makes Blizzard's usefulness about equivalent to other spacing ultimates from the tank heroes.

specifically talking about KOTH maps

matmanx1

Regarding Genji, I think we can all agree that Blizzard is trying to balance the overall power levels and pick rates of certain heroes. I don't know about your matches but I have had at least one Genji in almost every match I've played in the last couple of weeks. He is pretty much the "go to" flanker now for most situations and in a game with 20+ characters that's not really healthy balance. Something needed to be done and I'm not sure if just the ult change would have changed much.

Speaking of specifics I have to wonder if the Swift Strike melee cancel was intended (I don't think it was) and if the wall climb resetting double jump was likewise intentional (I honestly have no idea). I sort of feel like they should give the wall climb double jump combo back just because it's fun and helps keep Genji alive but the SS melee cancel should stay gone. I really don't think it was ever intended for Genji to be able to do upwards of 200 dmg in a quick combo but that is just my opinion.

Sianos

Wow, Blizzard actually did it, they gave projectile hitboxes back so my rockets will no longer clip through legs and maybe splash damage will exist in some form again. Hooray!

The problem was never the hitbox size in my opinion: it was always the tick rate. Plenty of times I'd get nailed by a Widowmaker when I could see her shot tracer in the air next to me. And ironically, with the hitscan hitboxes used for projectiles I'd end up having my projectile clip though players due to the tick rate. One of my favorites was a play of the game an enemy Zenyatta got where my Roadhog hook actually went through the center of his fov at one point.

Speaking of which, no longer will map geometry lead to hook shenanigans! Now Roadhog can actually hook people off of balconies without them clipping into the floor and odd collisions with tiny railings won't lead to my hook somehow pulling people through me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Regarding Genji, I think we can all agree that Blizzard is trying to balance the overall power levels and pick rates of certain heroes. I don't know about your matches but I have had at least one Genji in almost every match I've played in the last couple of weeks. He is pretty much the "go to" flanker now for most situations and in a game with 20+ characters that's not really healthy balance. Something needed to be done and I'm not sure if just the ult change would have changed much.

Speaking of specifics I have to wonder if the Swift Strike melee cancel was intended (I don't think it was) and if the wall climb resetting double jump was likewise intentional (I honestly have no idea). I sort of feel like they should give the wall climb double jump combo back just because it's fun and helps keep Genji alive but the SS melee cancel should stay gone. I really don't think it was ever intended for Genji to be able to do upwards of 200 dmg in a quick combo but that is just my opinion.

I've had Zarya in >80% of all my games since launch. And it looks to be the same in tournaments.

where's Zarya's nerf? Where's Lucio's nerf?

R0ckman

They had fixed flagrant issues with the hitboxes so you actually needed to hit the body to register hits, rather than hitting like a foot off the body to register. It was actually the right call as bullshit headshtots were all but gone and no one was complaining about them. Instead we get to go back to that world

Darn, I think I'll play him a bit before they give him the handicap.

Why return the hitbox?

Apathy

btw, those wondering

4kzVLkG.jpg

that's where you can get a headshot on now. That's bullshit

ISOM

I've had Zarya in >80% of all my games since launch. And it looks to be the same in tournaments.

Lucio was nerfed. I don't see a Zarya nerf happening as that would require changing her toolkit dramatically.

They just nerfed speed boost and buffed Mercy's healing.

But sure, come for my Zarya next. I've already had to adjust to McCree, Widowmaker, and now Genji nerfs (my top three on QP). It makes sense they would now go after my fourth most-played.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of simply removing technical stuff. If Genji's combo is a problem then reduce its effectiveness, not rip it out.

No mercy for Dragonblade and being able to dash through traps, though.

Soulflarz

Banned
Zaryas a high pick because zencio
Same way pharah doesnt need a buff- shes useless because zencio. Fix zencio and both pickrates adjust.

charsace

I don't understand why Hanzo was buffed. He was good as he was.

The only thing that needed adjusting with genji was his ult and he could already be countered by Reinhardt's hammer.

LiK

i'd rather they shrink back Hanzo hitbox and made his Ult travel faster. his dragons are so fucking easy to avoid unless you get trapped against a wall.

Hanzo would've been fine if they had just increased the projectile and movement-while-drawing speeds.
No need to bring back the bullshit hitboxes. And this is also going to make every other projectile-based character have bullshit hitboxes again. Huzzah for across-the-map blind headshots from Mei, Zenyatta, and Torb.

To top it off, QP will now be crawling with 3+ Hanzos all the fucking time.

Wait...did the change to Roadhogs hook nerf it or buff it? I honestly can't tell.

Or is there no difference?

It's a slight buff/fix. If you get hooked, you will now end up in front of Roadhog always.

They had fixed flagrant issues with the hitboxes so you actually needed to hit the body to register hits, rather than hitting like a foot off the body to register. It was actually the right call as bullshit headshtots were all but gone and no one was complaining about them. Instead we get to go back to that world

"Flagrant"

Yes, Hanzo shots are ridiculous and Junkrat fires basketballs. But there's a reason projectiles use different hitboxes than hitscan. Overwatch's could use more tuning since attacks in this game typically do more damage than in other shooters of similar styles, but making them the same as hitscan was a stupid idea. In the current hitboxes, you can miss headshots as Zenyatta because each hand actually fires at a slightly different angle, even if your crosshair is locked dead-on to their head.

peakish

Genji's mobility nerf is way stupid, he might have needed something but in a non-Zenyatta meta who knows if he'd been that powerful. I'd like to think it won't go through in full but I thought the same of July's Zenyatta buff so ...

Don't think Mei's ult buff will be that bad. People thought Dva 3-second bomb + not having to take cover would be great, turns out it's still just average. Given some time to react people will learn to spread out and take cover well guess that's not possible but ehh (lol).

Most other changes seem alright to me. I just hope Blizzard listens to pro feedback about the changes this time.

Edit: Did they revert Hanzo's arrow hitboxes? I wasn't super bothered by them but that's boring, it was a good change.

Zeliard

I would have been fine with the ult duration being shortened, but boy, they really chipped away at the things that make Genji fun and unique to play.

He's basically a free kill to any McCree with a pulse now, especially if Discorded. I doubt the double jump nerf in particular sticks.

R0ckman

"Flagrant"

Yes, Hanzo shots are ridiculous and Junkrat fires basketballs. But there's a reason projectiles use different hitboxes than hitscan. Overwatch's could use more tuning since attacks in this game typically do more damage than in other shooters of similar styles, but making them the same as hitscan was a stupid idea. In the current hitboxes, you can miss headshots as Zenyatta because each hand actually fires at a slightly different angle, even if your crosshair is locked dead-on to their head.

Ah, this is why I'm missing shots? I'll be sitting there shooting at a stationary target and wondering what the hell is going on. This is as Zenyatta of course.

Veelk

Banned
PTR is the testing ground for patches before they get released into the full game, right?

Well, maybe Blizzard will hear enough complaints about Hanzo to switch him.

I don't understand why, if there is an issue with projectiles of a larger size, they can't fix that issue in isolation, because Hanzo getting headshots from that distance IS unfair. And I say this as a Hanzo apologist.

So I really want to know what these "unintended consequences" they refer to are.

Remember when everyone freaked out at Mercy's 50% boost?

Let's see if these changes make into live servers before writing epitaphs for Genji.
So I really want to know what these "unintended consequences" they refer to are.
Probably shit like Mei's Icicle not hitting when you're clearly aiming at someone's head

kaskade

I always get a little jelly not being able to play with the new patch on PS4. Oh well, it's nice that they do it though. I'm sure it's very helpful to fine tune some of the balancing.

Apathy

"Flagrant"

Glad you're happy staying in a 90's world where everything has to be square boxes around a character model, some of us would rather it be actually good. Check my last image where I show were you have to aim to get a hs now (and if you think i'm exagerating go on the ptr and try it out, because I am no way exaggerating it).

Glad you forgot to add this

vgG0mOI.png

Other games can get hitboxes right, and we can hope that overwatch keeps it right as it is now and not revert it like on the ptr. The increase to hanzo's arrows speed + this general hitbox size is double kick in the balls for us that actually don't want to play a game where every day you wonder how the fuck that hanzo just killed you from 40 yards with a bullshit shot

Syntax

The Genji changes are nice but the rest of the balance attempts seem rather ineffectual.

Lucio + Zenyatta are slightly less effective but still "almost a must pick in every lineup" / "almost mandatory pick".

Give Mercy Holy Nova! Do it!

tumblr_mfeuzdOUfE1qdch9co1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom