• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Lucio is OP; anyone who thinks he's garbage is out of their damn mind. His speed aura is ridiculous, and at some point Blizzard is going to have to accept that it's bad for the game. Having a speed boost on CD is fine, but the passive speed aura needs to be replaced with something else (the trouble is that I can't think of anything that isn't even more broken).

RemiLP

Lucio is OP; anyone who thinks he's garbage is out of their damn mind. His speed aura is ridiculous, and at some point Blizzard is going to have to accept that it's bad for the game. Having a speed boost on CD is fine, but the passive speed aura needs to be replaced with something else (the trouble is that I can't think of anything that isn't even more broken).

He is OP, but why is added speed bad for the game?

matmanx1

I'm liking triple tank more and more these days. I've just been doing some QP matches each night because I've been so busy with work and RL stuff but it seems like the team that runs triple tank wins, more often than not.

Had a close match on Nepal to start off with last night. We rolled them the first round, they came back and took the second round and then we started off really strongly on round 3 until they switched to triple tank (D.Va, Zarya, Rein) and we ended up loosing in overtime.

Next game on Volskaya attack I picked Rein, we already had a D.Va and someone else went Winston. We had a very good Mercy, a Hanzo and a S76 and ended up winning that game on a very good push.

Bottom line, none of the tanks are weak right now and they often synergize well with each other.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
As someone much further down the chain (ended last season in the 1500's (after a high of 1967) and landed in the 1100's after placement) it feels like the matchmaking is massively better. Only had a couple of steamrolled games in the 15 matches I've played after placement.

I'm now back up into silver and hoping it continues to be as good as it's been.

Having said that I know that's probably because the bottom few tiers were always most likely to benefit from the SR nerf - the ridiculously small bronze/silver pool from S2 has now been flooded with folks that should've been there in the first place.

I'm hoping for S4 placements they start you with the SR you finished last season with then maybe just add/subtract 25 SR for wins/losses in the placements?

AbaFadi

Banned
This is why I hate grouping up in Comp now a days. The sweatiest of the sweatiest matches.

15392764_10155506143073662_2687217203447496384_o.jpg

15384468_10155506145058662_2639958523903618319_o.jpg

15289181_10155506145873662_1614473181940433979_o.jpg

Last season my team and I faced Striatum (the name of the team you were facing). We beat them three games in a row, kicked EvanMario out of grandmaster, and made him rage quit haha.

It's more that it gives the team with it such an advantage over the other that Lucio is basically a must-have if you're building a team composition to win. If everybody just naturally played at the faster speed, the game would be fine, just as it would be if everybody was at the slower speed at all times.

I think the idea of giving a speed boost is fine in theory, but it should be on CD. The green song should do something else passively, then grant speed boost when you amp it up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Because it's really hard to make a montage like this...
In almost every kill there is someone else doing half of the job.

I mean, that's how she is by design.

Like, if I put up a mei wall behind an enemy rein and my team bumrushes him with me, sure I didn't get a solo kill but it's not like I didn't facilitate that.

NeoRaider

I mean, that's how she is by design.

Like, if I put up a mei wall behind an enemy rein and my team bumrushes him with me, sure I didn't get a solo kill but it's not like I didn't facilitate that.

That's nice. But in real life no one wants to run around you and follow you, to finish the job you started. That's Sombra, sadly.

Antiwhippy

That's nice. But in real life no one wants to run around you and follow you, to finish the job you started. That's Sombra, sadly.

Do you just flank around all day to 1v1 people in the backlines?

It's a team game. A lot of the fights are pretty much the tanks creating space and laying damage while the dps do the clean up. I feel like the teams that win are the ones that understand that.

Because it's really hard to make a montage like this...
In almost every kill there is someone else doing half of the job.
I mean, that's a big part of why the game awards "Eliminations" for even tiny amounts of damage. It's also not scored on kills.

We can argue about whether Sombra is underpowered and what needs to be done to rebalance her, but hitting people with debuffs from unexpected angles and then doing cleanup is kinda the whole point of her.

NeoRaider

Do you just flank around all day to 1v1 people in the backlines?

It's a team game. A lot of the fights are pretty much the tanks creating space and laying damage while the dps do the clean up. I feel like the teams that win are the ones that understand that.

That's... the game, though.

Not really, but many times that's what you gotta do. And Sombra can hardly win 1v1 without using her translocator or running for closest health pack. Every other DPS hero can finish the job they started. I don't understand why would anyone pick Sombra over Tracer for example if we forget health packs hacking ability.

Antiwhippy

Because health pack ult farming is so broken I'm surprised more teams aren't abusing it.

In pubs you can't really get that kind of coordination but I don't think she's underpowered. She's more of a utility DPS really.

BigDug13

Healing is viewed as a must in this game and there are 4 primary characters that can provide that. Speed is viewed as a must in this game and there is only 1 class in the entire game that can provide it.

That means each and every team pretty much has to have a Lucio which is unhealthy. Someone has to be on "Lucio duty" each and every match which is unhealthy.

I do hope, at the very least, we get a trailer & a more solid date for the patch/Christmas Event.

I stopped playing arcade yesterday after two wins just in case we get the Christmas even today. :)

I'm also at 2850 credits, so thankfully I should get enough to buy whatever the sweet 3k skin is this time around. Last time I couldn't get Pumpkin Reaper because I didn't have enough credits :(

Greddleok

I came across a match where it was full of screaming pre-teens. I don't think I've experienced anything like that since 2010.

I guess Overwatch is pretty popular.

Paltheos

You don't like payload maps? They're great. I love them and koth. Assault maps are... not my dig - Compared to the other maps, they measure your effort the least I think. It doesn't matter how close you get to capturing a point, only whether you actually get it or not. Payload maps are much more fair, measuring to the 100th of a meter your progress.

Because health pack ult farming is so broken I'm surprised more teams aren't abusing it.

In pubs you can't really get that kind of coordination but I don't think she's underpowered. She's more of a utility DPS really.
Yeah, I think people undervalue the level of disruption and support she provides when the team is working with her. She's good at staggering spawns and breaking up deathballs, especially because EMP is up so often. And people are currently underrating her as a nuisance for D.Va.

If/when they do something for her, I'd like to see the health pack thing nerfed a little, as it can get kind of ridiculous, and it makes her very situational (i.e., dependent on how relevant the placement of health packs is to what's happening). Make cloak last longer/hack slightly faster.

I think her damage is... okay, although not in a world with this Soldier (who's a superb anti-Sombra as it is). I'd be worried how nutty she could get if they just straight buffed her gun.

I don't think this meta suits her, and no one should be picking her over 76 except for fun, but she's not as bad as people think.

If the french UI didn't give it away the amount of sweet DnB already identifies it as super european.

I love this vid. Just like McCreamy's Widowmaker vids and that Lucio main's vids.

Love seeing people go ham.

Also I need to play more Sombra just for the PotG effect and the ZA WARUDO ult animation.

Why are people still doing this? In 2016. I mean, it wasn't even amusing 10 years ago...

Because it still puts people on tilt, in 2016.

Just realized I won't be able to play Overwatch for a few days due to Christmas events after work.

Does SR stabilization happen after a set amount of matches, or is it time based?

maomaoIYP

This is why I hate grouping up in Comp now a days. The sweatiest of the sweatiest matches.

15392764_10155506143073662_2687217203447496384_o.jpg

You've got all those master level players on your team so I'm not sure what's the problem here. I just came out of a match where the enemy team was a 6 stack of 5 masters and a GM.
My side had a 5 stack of 3 diamonds and 2 plats. I was the solo queue. My team got rolled over in the first round and didn't bother trying again. And I was playing support. Imagine how fun that was for me.

LordofPwn

i always seem to get better teammates in placement matches. was 2 comp with a friend in silver, went 3-5. did 3 comp with another friend who hasn't played since season 1, went 7-3. now we're all out of placements, and we go 1-3-2. i was 6 SR, lost 1, tied twice, and then an a-hole leaves after we took a point and lost the next team fight. next match we storm Volskaya, got over 5 minutes on the timer, other team has 4 minutes left, and then they turn into gods and my team forgets how to secure kills. called it a night after that. 63 SR away from platinum. my pharah play wasn't on point yesterday, my Zenyatta plays were though. i have most of my time on Lucio, but i've found that my team needs me to be a dps more often than not.

other notes from this season 24 matches played:
been completely shutout on Control maps, in quickplay i win way more than i lose on these maps.
have not lost on a hybrid or assault map where i started on defense.

i was platinum last season, ended at 2518 or something after starting at 2680 something. got placed in gold for season 3 and thats where i thought i would get placed. i feel like i belong in low plat but yesterday i felt like i belonged in high gold.

overall seems season 3 is working as intended, still wish i wouldn't lose SR because someone on my team leaves.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Because they're children.
I was in a 3 on 3 where the other guy's sniper kept bragging about all of his kills at the end of every round. He had a pocket Mercy.

I miss the days when I had completely forgotten about how people acted in competitive online games.

Famous lines of OW #4?

"I'll switch if it doesn't work"

On Gibraltar I had a Widow who got two kills at the spawn, switched to McCree, and then continued.

I was amazed.

But yeah most of the time when I hear that I just say "I believe in you." over the mic, even if I rarely do.

Symphonic

Sorry, was being unintentionally snarky.

My point was that characters are supposed to work in tandem as a team. It's not about starting and/or finishing a kill, it's about working together using whatever skills to get the job done. Sombra is utility.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Good point.

I sometimes forget that there's a real strong possibility that the person that just wiped the floor with me is a 13 year old.

Kids. Stupid idiots!

I had a Genji with a kid voice the other day that kept writing and saying hello in text & voice chat because no one was replying until someone finally told him in voice chat "we can hear you, geez".

It's easy to forget that there is still kids or pre-teens playing this game until they dare use voice chat lol.

Top Bottom