• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Worst case scenario if I don't get a single legendary skin by January 2nd, I got enough coins to buy one.... which one should I get? Do they all have unique voice lines too?

Cappa

Banned
Does anyone have any tips for playing Winston well?
I really like him, but I can't play him for crap.

Out of all the tank characters hes probably the most vulnerable. Hes a great counter for Genji and Tracer. Also Widowmaker and Hanzo. Hes got great mobility for a tank, so you need to time your jumps correctly. Get into the thick of things, do some damage, and the jump away when youre running low on health. Rinse and repeat. Dont forget to use melee instead of the tesla cannon when you have enemies near with low health.

Only use the Ult when youre about to die... it regenerates your health.

From what I see from people who try to play Winston, they try to play him as the typical stationery tank when he should be used more in the "disruptor role." To be a good Winston, you need to be very annoying ala Tracer. Jump in, electrocute a bunch of people, and jump back out.

What exactly is your problem with him?

I always have trouble killing with him. I can jump in and do damage, but I hardly have trouble confirming kills. I usually play him like Tracer, so rushing in and acting as a distraction, but unlike Tracer all I do is distract them from a few seconds, drop their health a bit, then get killed as they heal themselves up.

Also I can't aim his jump ability to save my life.

Jump in. Fuck everyone's shit up. Jump out.

The main thing to remember is that you need to jump out earlier than it feels like you should so you don't die.

Should I be by myself when I jump in, or should I jump in to the middle of an ongoing firefight, possibly behind them, to distract them and help my teammates kill them?

Out of all the tank characters hes probably the most vulnerable. Hes a great counter for Genji and Tracer. Also Widowmaker and Hanzo. Hes got great mobility for a tank, so you need to time your jumps correctly. Get into the thick of things, do some damage, and the jump away when youre running low on health. Rinse and repeat. Dont forget to use melee instead of the tesla cannon when you have enemies near with low health.

Only use the Ult when youre about to die... it regenerates your health.

From what I see from people who try to play Winston, they try to play him as the typical stationery tank when he should be used more in the "disruptor role." To be a good Winston, you need to be very annoying ala Tracer. Jump in, electrocute a bunch of people, and jump back out.

Yeah, I try to play him like Tracer (who is probably my second best character), but I just struggle. I don't mind taking out snipers with him, but I'm wary at approaching Tracer, because as Tracer I can usually destroy Winston. Like, he's probably the easiest character for me to kill as her.

My problem is that if I jump in, do a bit of damage, and jump out, I feel like I'm not really helping out when I could just pick a character who could outright kill them.

Should I be by myself when I jump in, or should I jump in to the middle of an ongoing firefight, possibly behind them, to distract them and help my teammates kill them?

Going in by yourself is a sure way to get yourself killed. Winston is really good at providing a distraction for the rest of your team and killing low-health targets.

I had the worst 4 day stretch in Overwatch. Extended weekend, so I thought I could climb up the SR, now I'm around half of what I was when I got placed.

I got so frustrated that I started playing solely on Quick Play. At least, I don't have to give a shit when everyone decides that Zenyatta is a good enough solo healer. An interesting Competitive match I had, had me picking Zen and when no one else picked up a second healer (or a second tank) and I did request for them, some numbnuts replied, "It's Ok. We also have soldier's biotic field. Plus Bastion has armour." We were completely wiped 3-0 on Control Points. No one switched, no one adjusted and I stopped giving a shit about Competitive after that. Gonna keep myself on QP from now onwards.

Cappa

Banned
Yeah, I try to play him like Tracer (who is probably my second best character), but I just struggle. I don't mind taking out snipers with him, but I'm wary at approaching Tracer, because as Tracer I can usually destroy Winston. Like, he's probably the easiest character for me to kill as her.

My problem is that if I jump in, do a bit of damage, and jump out, I feel like I'm not really helping out when I could just pick a character who could outright kill them.

If you jump in, bubble, and move around you should at the very least be dropping down 2-3 enemy players to 50% of their health before you have to jump back out. Being surrounded by teammates that take advantage of you damaging the enemy players is key as well. Watching videos of Miro playing as Winston are great because you see the little things that he does that makes him so dominant with Winston.

One of the great things that he does with Winston(that I can never imagine doing) is when hes jumping into a battle, he positions the jump so he barely grazes a roof or some object so by the time he lands, his jump boost has reset again. Sometimes jumping directly into battle is bad, because youre jump boost is still locked and by the time it unlocks youre dead. You need to time your jumps and angles so you are flanking up on enemies and not landing directly in front of them, by flanking them you gain a few seconds extra to cause damage and get out if needed.

Winston needs to be surrounded by a good support team though to be really effective.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, winston is still good. For a dive team I would have winston and Dva as the main tanks.

Also going in by yourself as any character is a bad idea, btw. Even if you're tracer or genji it's always better to start your engages right before or at the same time as your team.

Nah, winston is still good. For a dive team I would have winston and Dva as the main tanks.

The only time I actually have trouble with Winston is when I'm playing Zenyatta and the enemy Winston just completely focuses on me. I've never had trouble dealing with Winston at any other time. Right now, I've started getting the hang of Roadhog so I'm usually able to stop enemy Winston's from being very effective while diving. Imo, Winston is the worst tank in the game. In a good player's hands, he could be devastating, yes, but then so could all the other tanks.

Antiwhippy

The only time I actually have trouble with Winston is when I'm playing Zenyatta and the enemy Winston just completely focuses on me. I've never had any trouble dealing with Winston.

Seems like the only time you've had trouble with Winston is against someone who actually knows how to play Winston.

Seems like the only time you've had trouble with Winston is against someone who actually knows how to play Winston.

True. But, a good D.Va player can also do the same thing and get out much more easily than Winston. Not to mention that D.Va's Ult is better and she does more damage. I do speak from personal preference but it seems to me that Winston requires more skill and gives a worse payoff for the amount of time invested in learning him.

Cappa

Banned
True. But, a good D.Va player can also do the same thing and get out much more easily than Winston. Not to mention that D.Va's Ult is better and she does more damage. I do speak from personal preference but it seems to me that Winston requires more skill and gives a worse payoff for the amount invested in learning him.

I completely disagree with your opinion, while I personally prefer to play as Dva than Winston, I dont think Dvas Ult is better than Winstons. Dvas Ult are great if you can time them with a Zarya/Rein/Mei Ult, but 9 times out of 10 you arent going to kill anyone with her Ult.

Winstons Ult can be clutch especially on KOTH maps, Payload maps on Overtime etc. You can take out 2-3 players easily with Winstons Ult every single time.

Going in by yourself is a sure way to get yourself killed. Winston is really good at providing a distraction for the rest of your team and killing low-health targets.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

If you jump in, bubble, and move around you should at the very least be dropping down 2-3 enemy players to 50% of their health before you have to jump back out. Being surrounded by teammates that take advantage of you damaging the enemy players is key as well. Watching videos of Miro playing as Winston are great because you see the little things that he does that makes him so dominant with Winston.

One of the great things that he does with Winston(that I can never imagine doing) is when hes jumping into a battle, he positions the jump so he barely grazes a roof or some object so by the time he lands, his jump boost has reset again. Sometimes jumping directly into battle is bad, because youre jump boost is still locked and by the time it unlocks youre dead. You need to time your jumps and angles so you are flanking up on enemies and not landing directly in front of them, by flanking them you gain a few seconds extra to cause damage and get out if needed.

Winston needs to be surrounded by a good support team though to be really effective.

I remember watching a video of a really good Winston a few weeks back (he was Korean I think?), would that have been him? He was doing things like jumping up on the ledge above doorways on Li Jang tower and other crazy clever things.

I keep making the mistake of jumping into the middle of a crowd, too.

Also going in by yourself as any character is a bad idea, btw. Even if you're tracer or genji it's always better to start your engages right before or at the same time as your team.

By going by myself as Tracer, I mean that, as an example, on Volskya Industries Defence, I'll stay on their side of the wall on the first point, and just hang around in that sort of mansion house to the side and distract them while everyone else stays on the side of the wall were the truck and the first point is and holds the choke point, not that I'll run to the other end of Eichenwalde to their spawn when I'm on defence and try to hold them off.

maouvin

Since monday I'm getting fps dips whenever I use the push-to-talk button. Like, dropping from 120 to 80~90, even alone in spawn.

Is this a known issue? I'll reinstall the game later today, but wonder if there's a simpler solution.

Cappa

Banned
I remember watching a video of a really good Winston a few weeks back (he was Korean I think?), would that have been him? He was doing things like jumping up on the ledge above doorways on Li Jang tower and other crazy clever things.

I keep making the mistake of jumping into the middle of a crowd, too.

Yep, it was probably him than, Miro is Korean. Watching the pros play is cool because you see little things that they do and youre like wow I got to try that but then you try it and it totally doesnt work out at all lol

Yeah, I do the same sometimes with Winston, I forget he isnt a "true tank" and play him as one and die quickly. Thats why I like Dva more but I think Winstons skill set is very good and his Ult can be a game changer on certain maps and situations.

I always liked Mystery Heroes; my biggest problem with it is that is it skews towards defense pretty heavily (since map design favors defense by default and you have a hard time building enough ult).

Mei's Snowball Offensive is really fun though; I don't get the hate. It's not "Overwatch," but it is a fun series of mind games.

Shahadan

I just heard a little kid (couldn't be more than 12yo considering his voice) on hanamura scream "STAND ON THE POINT YOU DUMBFUCKS AAAAAAAH"

I laughed so much holy shit. And he was right too of course, there were three people shooting from outside the point for no reason.

Cappa

Banned
I always liked Mystery Heroes; my biggest problem with it is that is it skews towards defense pretty heavily (since map design favors defense by default and you have a hard time building enough ult).

Mei's Snowball Offensive is really fun though; I don't get the hate. It's not "Overwatch," but it is a fun series of mind games.

I also really like Meis Snowball Offensive, but Im a Mei main so Im just biased.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nice to see that people still don't know how to play this game. How hard can it be to wait and regroup?

Always fun to see a Reinhardt going solo against the enemy team while the 5 of us are still walking toward him from across the map.

Does anyone have any tips for playing Winston well?
I really like him, but I can't play him for crap.
The biggest thing to playing Winston is not related to Winston himself, I'm afraid. You probably know the jump-in, do damage until they notice you, and then putting the shield down part. The hard part is stalling long enough to get your jump pack back, and being able to jump out. To do that, however, you'll need a reliable healer as your back-up. Winston is really effective in teams that communicate and can do long-range healing, but if you're flying solo, the chances are high that you'll do suicide missions, and you just have to decide if they're worth it. Sometimes they are if they're used to initiate a push, or distract from one. Winston's a big guy, and he has a very disruptive ult. Don't worry too much about getting those kills. The nature of his weapon makes him not a super effective killer, but he can deal with squishies, or turn enemies into squishies that others can pick off.

A general tip I found useful though was that landing your jump pack on someone also does damage. If you get a good grasp on your jumps, you can do a nice burst of opening damage just by landing well. Another thing worth learning is to jump straight up. If your jump is off cooldown and you don't think you need to retreat, it's sometimes worth jumping straight up. It makes the enemy think you're withdrawing, taking some heat off you, but it also wins a second or two for your barrier's cooldown. Landing once again may deal some additional damage. I fully admit though that I never do this unless I'm playing with people I know though, and I generally don't play Winston when I'm flying solo.

If you want to be really serious about your Winston plays though, you should get the peanut butter emote and work it into your normal routine.

This is sadly enough true.

AbaFadi

Banned
I completely disagree with your opinion, while I personally prefer to play as Dva than Winston, I dont think Dvas Ult is better than Winstons. Dvas Ult are great if you can time them with a Zarya/Rein/Mei Ult, but 9 times out of 10 you arent going to kill anyone with her Ult.

Winstons Ult can be clutch especially on KOTH maps, Payload maps on Overtime etc. You can take out 2-3 players easily with Winstons Ult every single time.

I think 7 times out of 10 I get at least one kill with Dva ult. You just gotta learn how to time them and the best places to throw them. Walking up to the enemy and then ulting will not get any kills most of the time. You always wanna throw your ult behind the reinhardt shield for one since he'll have to turn around to shield it. Throw it into open areas as well. I almost always get a pick when I launch it around a corner.

Greddleok

My adventures with Winston have been entirely dependent on having a competent healer. Preferably an Ana or Mercy for good burst healing.

I try to initiate without jumping so I can save that for later, but if I have to jump in then I will just to get the team fight rolling.

The problem is, Reinhardt is just a superior main tank, and with the D.Va buffs, I feel like Winston's bully role is just completely outclassed by her. Not to mention the tank heavy meta, with Roadhogs everywhere is a real issue for Winston. D.Va can chew through Roadhogs quite nicely and block most of their damage. Winston on the other hand takes an age to get a Roadhog down and can barely damage through his healing.

Winston is pretty awesome on KotH maps though. His ult is better than D.Vas there, and with the high change of a ton of people grouping up, he can really put out damage. Still, I'd rather pick Reinhardt first, his shield is just unmatched.

One time in comp I got a quintuple kill with D.va's ult on defense in hanamura at the first point. Just launched it over the wall as the enemy was approaching the chokepoint. Greatest moment of my life.

Antiwhippy

So.

I don't like to use this term.

But new sym might be a malformed growth that will slowly murder the people you love.

LiK

I think I might just do the placement matches this week. Hopefully it's Diamond so I can just do QP or Arcade for the reast of the Holiday event.

You hold left click and spam hello. That's the only way to play him.

I know that much at least lol. I'm just looking to downgrade my game by learning how to use other not as useful tactics.

The biggest thing to playing Winston is not related to Winston himself, I'm afraid. You probably know the jump-in, do damage until they notice you, and then putting the shield down part. The hard part is stalling long enough to get your jump pack back, and being able to jump out. To do that, however, you'll need a reliable healer as your back-up. Winston is really effective in teams that communicate and can do long-range healing, but if you're flying solo, the chances are high that you'll do suicide missions, and you just have to decide if they're worth it. Sometimes they are if they're used to initiate a push, or distract from one. Winston's a big guy, and he has a very disruptive ult. Don't worry too much about getting those kills. The nature of his weapon makes him not a super effective killer, but he can deal with squishies, or turn enemies into squishies that others can pick off.

A general tip I found useful though was that landing your jump pack on someone also does damage. If you get a good grasp on your jumps, you can do a nice burst of opening damage just by landing well. Another thing worth learning is to jump straight up. If your jump is off cooldown and you don't think you need to retreat, it's sometimes worth jumping straight up. It makes the enemy think you're withdrawing, taking some heat off you, but it also wins a second or two for your barrier's cooldown. Landing once again may deal some additional damage. I fully admit though that I never do this unless I'm playing with people I know though, and I generally don't play Winston when I'm flying solo.

If you want to be really serious about your Winston plays though, you should get the peanut butter emote and work it into your normal routine.

This is sadly enough true.

Thanks a lot for that. I'll have to give him a proper go tonight. He's probably the only character along with Reaper who just didn't click with me whatsoever.

I sadly don't have the peanut butter emote though. I just have the shadow puppets one.

Mutombo

I won with the sym on my team mind you.

But I can already see that I'm not going to like this change at all.

i tried her on Iljang and actually had a gold medal for damage, eliminations and one thing else (probably objective time). We won that round.

But I don't advice repeating that.

She was my main in the beginning. I'm trying her again but even though she's more fun to play, she still not really a meta changer. I think.

LiK

I tried Symm in Arcade last night and it was Mystery Heroes so I didn't get a good feel for her new abilities. Seems alright. I'll probably try to play her in QP instead. I used to enjoy playing her a lot before the sentries got nerfed.

Top Bottom