• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Anne

Does anyone have any tips for playing Winston well?
I really like him, but I can't play him for crap.

Character is an absolute monster if he has a DPS to follow up the damage. If not he's just okay at jumping in and causing problems for awhile.

Let's do some math:

Winston jump + melee = 80 damage
Genji swift strike = 50 damage
jump in + swift strike = 130 instant damage

Any extra damage assures whatever got hit is dead. You can do this with a lot of heroes, Genji is just the most obvious one.

Other than the murder potential, just drop shield and dance in and out of it while looking for cleave. The shield is weak but if you play around it you have plenty of time to get jump off CD before your dead. If you don't you did a really bad jump(literally landed on a Reaper and Soldier or some shit) or played around your shield spacing terribly.

Nice to see that people still don't know how to play this game. How hard can it be to wait and regroup?

Haven't you heard? There's an extremely high skill requirement for regrouping. /s
Staggered respawn isn't much of a problem on Competitive, though. In QP, regrouping is some ancient, mythic technique that has been lost to the passage of time.

The problem is, Reinhardt is just a superior main tank, and with the D.Va buffs, I feel like Winston's bully role is just completely outclassed by her. Not to mention the tank heavy meta, with Roadhogs everywhere is a real issue for Winston. D.Va can chew through Roadhogs quite nicely and block most of their damage. Winston on the other hand takes an age to get a Roadhog down and can barely damage through his healing.

Winston is pretty awesome on KotH maps though. His ult is better than D.Vas there, and with the high change of a ton of people grouping up, he can really put out damage. Still, I'd rather pick Reinhardt first, his shield is just unmatched.

I agree with most of this.

Anne

I agree with most of this.

Winston's dive is still better than D.Va's in a lot of ways. You don't see a lot of Winston at top level because he really doesn't play well into tanks that are dive resistant w+ Soldier + RH, but I assure you the character is far from weak.

People underestimate the terror of Winston hitting you in a coordinated team. He wasn't a monster in S1 just because of 50% discord :p

The thing about the group feature is that you as a group of randos who decided to stick together is likely to be pitted against a 6-man premade that's used to playing together (unless it only matches you with other PUGs but I doubt that). The one time I used it we got kinda steamrolled the next match.

ISOM

The thing about the group feature is that you as a group of randos who decided to stick together is likely to be pitted against a 6-man premade that's used to playing together (unless it only matches you with other PUGs but I doubt that). The one time I used it we got kinda steamrolled the next match.

That's why I hesitate to use it. Unless I feel that we really coordinated with each other and/or we steamroll the other team so convincingly that it leaves little doubt then I'm not going to group up just because my team won the match.

bjork

Opened a bunch of boxes, got skins for Winston and Torbjorn, and a post for D.Va with christmas lights on her mech. Then I realized how late it was and I didn't get to play at all. But today I should get some time in, looking forward to it. :)

NeoRaider

My first Winter Event skin is Pharah.
I am happy with that. Tho. it's not better than Raptorion but i'm gonna use it for some time.

Paltheos

New Sym, man. Was playing Mystery Heroes with a couple of my friends last night. I was Mercy, and we had 2 Symmetras and a Torbjorn on our team at the last point of King's Row defense. Both Syms got shield generators up, and I had an armor pack too. I was a Mercy with 425 health. Most of our team had +225 life. Turrets everywhere, Sym's long beam of death doing work. Good fucking luck, guys. We won handily.

LiK

I love that people who tried to kill themselves in Mystery Heroes will stay as the same Hero. You can't cheese your way to getting your mains, LOL

Cappa

Banned
I love that people who tried to kill themselves in Mystery Heroes will stay as the same Hero. You can't cheese your way to getting your mains, LOL

If you kill yourself in Mystery Heroes, you definitely do get a different hero. Thats what I did yesterday anyway.

LiK

If you kill yourself in Mystery Heroes, you definitely do get a different hero. Thats what I did yesterday anyway.

Did not work for my group. They intentionally killed themselves and didn't change at all. I accidentally kileld myself as Pharah and stayed as Pharah.

Cappa

Banned
Did not work for my group. They intentionally killed themselves and didn't change at all. I accidentally kileld myself as Pharah and stayed as Pharah.

Hmm, was it during the match or was it still in "prep mode"? I killed myself twice on Kings Row,before the match started. I was on defense. I just jumped off a ledge, I think I was Widowmaker at the time and it gave me Bastion and then DVa the second time.

LiK

Hmm, was it during the match or was it still in "prep mode"? I killed myself twice on Kings Row,before the match started. I was on defense. I just jumped off a ledge, I think I was Widowmaker at the time and it gave me Bastion and then DVa the second time.

Def during a match.

Cappa

Banned
maybe thats it then? I dunno, Im 100% certain it worked for me tho lol but it was before the match started and I was on defense.

LiK

maybe thats it then? I dunno, Im 100% certain it worked for me tho lol but it was before the match started and I was on defense.

Yea, can't kill yourself to switch during a match. Kinda genius. Guess Blizzard knew people would try that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I had the exact same thing happen to me earlier.

Thing is that match ended up super close too despite us being 1 down. :(

Ah well, had an up and down night, but it was fun seeing what this new meta will bring. I think sym could potentially be super problematic. We need more damage, not more sustain.

I can kinda see her taking the lucio role, especially on defense where speed is not as essential. Shield is basically kinda like heal song. Has somewhat different mechanics but it's basically an aura heal. And her turrets actually are a counter to speedsong. Winston might become more popular.

Jellie

You definitely can. I did that yesterday with Mercy during a match.

Not sure if it was with you or after you went off but yesterday on Hanamura defence we got like 5 support with like 3 mercy's so I jumped off. Then the rest of the team followed. Wonder what the enemy team were thinking.

Skii

Are you guys playing the Mystery Gift mode in Arcade or something else?

Yeah the winter brawl in Hanumura and Kings Row.

Not sure if it was with you or after you went off but yesterday on Hanamura defence we got like 5 support with like 3 mercy's so I jumped off. Then the rest of the team followed. Wonder what the enemy team were thinking.

Yeah it was funny. Like all the supports suicided leaving us with no supports so we lost the match.

Oh wait, the one I'm talking about was on attack. It was probably when I left.

I remember we had 5 supports and me as Genji on Kings Row defence lol

I've had a decent haul in winter boxes so far.

- Peppermint Sombra
- Nutcracker Zenyatta
- Wasteland Ana
- Holiday Reaper

and a few highlight intros and emotes. Still waiting on yeti winston....

Not having any friends outside of my brother who plays this game really makes it a drag. If anyone else is in the same boat or wants to group throw me a friend request. PSN same as username.

molnizzle

FUCK these goddamn brawls. Just give me my fucking loot box.

Ugh. Should be reward for completion, not win. Most frustrating bullshit ever.

Wanderer5

Obtained Frostbite Pharah from the free loot box and later her hot drink pose, so great, victory pose is going to look kind of silly.:p

King's Row looks so pretty. I kind of dig the winter mystery mode as a good way to check out the maps with the winter wonderland makeover.

Sullichin

First mystery brawl, I didn't know what it was all about. Everyone picked Zenyatta... I was excited for a goofy team of all Zens. But then we got the random picks. Oh well. I actually like this mode, it's more fun for me to try heroes I don't really use here instead of 1v1 duel which I hate.

Other than the murder potential, just drop shield and dance in and out of it while looking for cleave. The shield is weak but if you play around it you have plenty of time to get jump off CD before your dead. If you don't you did a really bad jump(literally landed on a Reaper and Soldier or some shit) or played around your shield spacing terribly.

^

There are a few things though. Sometimes you just get fucked on your jump and there is something you can't really deal with right in your face (i.e. Soldier with med station), or the Genji has to retreat for x reason/pursues a different target you can't really catch up to. That happens sometimes. But in those cases, it's essential that you have your front line push into the enemy as hard as they can when you dive so pressure is alleviated. This is why Winston requires a coordinated team to work.

Also of note is that to run Winston nowadays, you need an Ana on your team due to the incoming damage. It is hard for any hero to sustain a dive without her, really.

Wanderer5

Got 5 loot boxes for this event, and blam, Mei-rry skin lol, along with a duplicate legendary.:x Well I take the Mei-rry skin, even if it kind of disappointing as a legendary skin.

Cappa

Banned
Got 5 loot boxes for this event, and blam, Mei-rry skin lol, along with a duplicate legendary.:x Well I take the Mei-rry skin, even if it kind of disappointing as a legendary skin.

Turning into a snowman easily makes up for it and makes it in my unbiased opinion, the best skin of all time.

NeoRaider

I decided to not play competitive anymore. can't find any fun in it.
I guess i am just not good enough and even if i were, many things about competitive in this game are not done right or need to be changed and improved.

Wasn't really playing S1 and S2 too, only few matches. Thought that i will be playing S3 but it's not worth it, can't find any fun playing it and that's it. Most of the time it's frustrating so i am giving up.

Edit: Generally speaking i feel like this game is turning into loot boxes grinding for me. And it's taking too much of my time.

Xzan

Tfw as Zarya when you walk up to a D.Va explosion and body block it at point blank range with your personal barrier to save the squishies behind you. So satisfying.

(Pity you only get 40% energy for it now...)

Her Frosted skin may be the first seasonal skin I've bothered to buy. I normally roll with Classic but I quite like the new one.

Wanderer5

Turning into a snowman easily makes up for it and makes it in my unbiased opinion, the best skin of all time.

Eh well I don't think the snowman makes up for how lackluster the actual skin is on the legendary tier. Still I like the skin in of itself and will wear it, but I definitely wouldn't have paid currency for it even if it was the regular legendary price.

_Legacy_

Has anyone got advice for solo queue in comp (on console)? I've lost four straight games and played well in nearly all of them. I see some people saying solo queue is legit but I seem ot keep getting randos who either panic switch after a death or switch from a healer to another class. At least on pc you can type and chat, in most games, I'm the only one with a mic.

Blues1990

New Sym, man. Was playing Mystery Heroes with a couple of my friends last night. I was Mercy, and we had 2 Symmetras and a Torbjorn on our team at the last point of King's Row defense. Both Syms got shield generators up, and I had an armor pack too. I was a Mercy with 425 health. Most of our team had +225 life. Turrets everywhere, Sym's long beam of death doing work. Good fucking luck, guys. We won handily.

Sounds peachy. If what you say is true about Symmetra's shield stacking, I'm dreading the thought of a team of Symmetra's beefing up D.Va.

Top Bottom