• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Has anyone got advice for solo queue in comp (on console)? I've lost four straight games and played well in nearly all of them. I see some people saying solo queue is legit but I seem ot keep getting randos who either panic switch after a death or switch from a healer to another class. At least on pc you can type and chat, in most games, I'm the only one with a mic.

What role do you play, mostly?

I used to try and fill in slots, but now I usually lock Soldier / D.Va unless specifically asked to play something else or they're taken.

My main point of advice is to take a break if you start to tilt. I've had games where I start to argue / passive aggressively talk over mic and instead I just say "hey guys I'm starting to tilt, gonna mute comms and just play my heart out."

After that, I just call it a break if I'm on a loss streak.

But other than that, learn how to pick to counter what's troubling your team most, and don't be afraid to lock into a key role if you know you can play it well.

BigDug13

every game has a goddamn symmetra on both sides now :/

She's new. Same thing happens anytime a class gets a huge update or a new character is freshly released. At least one person on each team will want to try out the changes every game for probably the next couple weeks.

Braag

I knew my lady's time would come.

She's useful and all but it's a little annoying when there's a symmetra defending point B on Hanamura and keeps setting up a teleporter for us couple feet away from the spawn point... like.. why?

If I get hooked through a wall one more time by Roadhog I'm gonna kick a puppy...probably

Fix it Blizzard, my sanity depends on it.

It helps to think of the hook as a teleport mechanic and not a pulling mechanic. If the hook projectile hits you, you get teleported back to Roadhog. Visually, the game moves the hook to center mass even though that's not where you got hit. It's weird, but the alternatives are equally weird. Does every player have a separate "hook" hitbox? Does the hook use ragdoll physics to try to physically pull you towards Roadhog? Etc etc etc.

The hook is fine. It just looks weird.

antitrop

What's wrong with Symm?

She's pretty fuckin' good. I was playing Mercy with a Symmetra on Attack last night (quick play), and I just pocketed her as we walked on to the point and

SHE

KILLED

EVERYBODY

The range buff on her left click seems super strong and her shield generator is way more useful than the teleporter ever was.

xaosslug

why does Blizz keep throwing Total Meiham under the buss? It's their most fun mode/best brawl, yet it's either removed or buried underneath their other brawls in 'playlist' -___-

KarmaCow

That's what the leave button is for, just gotta do it before the match goes to the achievement cards.

Is that how it's seen in stuff like Arcade mode? I usually just leave right after the match finishes in arcade mode, win or lose, because it's so rare that there are enough people to not get kicked back into the queue anyway. I get that I'm perpetuating the cycle but I just want my loot boxes and it's like an extra minute of waiting for nothing.

antitrop

Staggered respawn isn't much of a problem on Competitive, though. In QP, regrouping is some ancient, mythic technique that has been lost to the passage of time.
What, you mean getting picked as the rest of the team is coming back from spawn so you can charge 10% of your Ult isn't the best way to play Overwatch?

Quick Play. Eichenwalde. We push the payload uncontested until the very last corner, then for some reason my idiot team gets stumped by a level 7 Bastion and level 6 Pharah because the two healers decided to switch to Hanzo and Widowmaker, because that's what we needed to break their hold. We stall for 8 minute and lose. Goddammit.

On the other hand, just went 20-4 on Ilios as Symmetra and helped my team to a solid victory. My girl is finally viable - at least until people learn to look for hidden shield generators.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
What's wrong with Symm?

She's ok, but people are still figuring her out. So all these symmetras running around in competitive is smidge irresponsible. I've only played 4 games and i've seen her used on one or both sides in every round. Out of that, she only had significant impact on three rounds of those 4 games, all of which were defense rounds.

the first time was on the very last point in dorado. She was able to get a shield generator up in front of their spawn and our team went from rolling them into slamming into a brick wall with a minute and some change left. That 75 shield is nothing to scoff at....

The second time was on the first point of volskaya. For whatever reason people weren't diligent about picking her off in team skirmishes. So she was constantly melting people amidst the chaos. Later on in the round she got a TP up which sealed the deal. You can't let her run around unchecked. Especially with that extra range on the microwave gun.

The third time was on the first point of Route 66. One of our guys troll picked her, but ended up doing ok anyway. He ended up getting his TP as they began to round the corner at the gas station and dropped it in the fucking open by the dumpster with 6 turrets near by. Didn't seem smart, but the turrets and people casually catching them trying to blow it up kept the teleporter safe though all its staggered uses. The HP boost and being able to keep 6 turrets up improves its survivability a good bit. We'll see how that changes as people get used to it.

It really is a great strength and weakness of this game that it's exponentially more fun with friends. Last night was the first time I had played within GAF people in probably a month and a half. So good.

bjork

I like the changes to Symmetra, though I had just barely gotten used to making sure everyone had shields. I kinda miss doing that.

Also tried that snowball thing, and that's a fun holiday thing. One dude in my team is the super king of that mode, though. Picking people off before the rest of us even got close. Even when it showed a replay, I wasn't sure how he was doing it.

Does anybody like the Mystery Heroes brawl? Every time I've played it my experience has been my team dies immediately, then the other team starts steamrolling because they're grouped up and actually have ults to use and then we lose. Just happened on King's Row where my team finally killed their team and forced them into new characters, only for my team to idiotically run to their spawn to try and spawn camp them and die immediately losing any advantageous defensive hold we had.

On top of that, had a match in the brawl on Hanamura where my team got spawn camped by two D.Vas, a Reinhardt, aMercy, and a Torbjorn and they all just panicked and died over and over again, nobody getting any kills (I had gold with 2) and it was the worst match I've ever played in Overwatch, probably.

Has everybody just forgotten how to play Overwatch at all? I still haven't done my placement matches but I think I might wait for the shininess of the winter event to wear off because I feel like a special brand of idiots are playing right now and I'm afraid of what might happen if I try playing comp.

NeoRaider

I honestly can't believe how Blizzard dropped the ball with that Mei brawl.

It's just bad, let's be honest. The more i play it the more i see it. I thought that they can't do worse than Lucio Ball but they did it.

First of all it's all Mei. And that tells a lot. Those voice lines, repeating all the time... i'm gonna have a nightmares.

2nd it's just too slow, having just one snow ball and having to search for more snow and refill your gun all the time is just not fun.

Maybe it's just me idk. But i expected more. I expected more heroes involved and something little different and fresh since it's Holidays time. But oh well...

Sullichin

Does anybody like the Mystery Heroes brawl? Every time I've played it my experience has been my team dies immediately, then the other team starts steamrolling because they're grouped up and actually have ults to use and then we lose. Just happened on King's Row where my team finally killed their team and forced them into new characters, only for my team to idiotically run to their spawn to try and spawn camp them and die immediately losing any advantageous defensive hold we had.

On top of that, had a match in the brawl on Hanamura where my team got spawn camped by two D.Vas, a Reinhardt, aMercy, and a Torbjorn and they all just panicked and died over and over again, nobody getting any kills (I had gold with 2) and it was the worst match I've ever played in Overwatch, probably.

Has everybody just forgotten how to play Overwatch at all? I still haven't done my placement matches but I think I might wait for the shininess of the winter event to wear off because I feel like a special brand of idiots are playing right now and I'm afraid of what might happen if I try playing comp.
Everyone's just fucking around in that mode. As such it seems like you have a better chance of winning on defense.

Apathy

I love mystery hero, it's my favorite brawl but you really have to go in with a mentality that you're like 80% going to lose because people can only play their "mains". All concepts of basic aiming or movement go out the window if people aren't playing their mains

Don't forget, it's the winter holiday season for schools as well. At least in the US.

It's like the weekend, but for the next month or so.

Gurrry

Sym really is a threat now. She has been in atelast 90% of my games so far since the update. Her changes make her a viable character, and she seems less difficult to play now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When is Bliz gonna buff Winston? He dies way too fast and does too little damage.

Winston doesn't need much beyond maybe reducing the cooldown of his bubble. His currnet issue is that Blizzard completely broke his viability with the buffs to 76 and DVa

I've never really understood why his bubble doesnt wipe freeze or why his tesla cannon doesnt penetrate Zaryas shield but itll penetrate Reins. I've never understood all the exceptions that Zarya gets.

xaosslug

it's hilarious how McCree's peeking in the window. xD

When is Bliz gonna buff Winston? He dies way too fast and does too little damage.

Winston doesn't need a buff because he's successful in his role/particular team comp + @ countering who he's meant to counter. Sure, he's not used in general, but I don't think Blizz cares about that, tbh?

All my loot boxes are bad :( I can only see so many three white/1 blue boxes, guys. I got two epic skins for characters I don't play, yet to see any of the legendaries. I just want Mei, but no way am I gonna pay 3k coins (that I don't have yet) for a glorified reskin.

ISOM

He hasn't. I got his winter skin and tried using him (again). Nearly impossible to be effective no matter what strategies you use.

It's not really about your strategies when using Winston. It's about having a good team around him to support when he jumps into the enemy team. A good team around a good Winston is a terror.

Apathy

He could probably use some more armor in place of health to be honest.

He is deceptively simple when you just look at him "hey, he jumps in and you just hold down left click", but the difference between a bad winston like say me and probably most people and a fucking good winston is massive. A person that knows when to pick their battles, how to get in and out when their health is in trouble (from what I learned, it's not when you're close to dying but closer to 40-50%), and can utilize the bubble by moving in and out of it to block shots makes for a good winston.

It really is a great strength and weakness of this game that it's exponentially more fun with friends. Last night was the first time I had played within GAF people in probably a month and a half. So good.

I would have thought you'd get fed up with my bullshit real quick.

I'm amazed no one actually has so far.

Pooya

Not a single skin in my first 10 loot boxes, same thing happened with Halloween. getting all those player icons though. -_-

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Winston's my most played hero and I almost strictly solo queue. I don't really have the issues that I would with say Sombra despite being a character that relies on his team.

Especially if I have a Genji around me and a Zen that can see me.

Again, Winston doesn't really need buffs, just a team. If he dives with someone, you can wipe at least half the team easy. Winston would actually be pretty much broken if they pulled a D.Va and gave him more health/damage. He is actually surprisingly hard to deal with, it's just that meta comp right now annihilates him before he leaves spawn.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also dont want them to buff Winston because they'll go too far and then revert it and he'll be worse off like McCree was

Like the only radical change I'd like is to shorten the cooldown on barrier. Especially now with people like Soldier 76 blowing it up instantly.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

I think they should buff him and i expect them to. Right now D.Va has jacked the dive slot. She can initiate and re-initiate quicker, Its far easier to survive while doing it (her K:D rate on PC is pretty good, on consoles its downright insane), and she does more damage. The only pro winston has over her is aoe damage and it goes through shields.

If I were to buff him, i'd focus on the shield so he can initiate and re-initiate quicker. I'd like to see it take more damage but the cool down is the key. At a whopping 13 seconds its really only there to buy a second or two for the jump refresh in a emergency situation or to secure a kill. Maybe back in the day when you could have 6 winstons dropping bubbles all over the place that might have been ok, but now it just doesn't make sense. It doesn't provide that big of a benefit to be so damn rare.

Top Bottom