• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Keep in mind that it's pro play, where of course they'll min max the hell out of things. Same with fighting games really. Like I don't think half of the roster of SF5 was presented in the capcom cup.

That's not to say that things can't be better really, but trying to balance things so that every character is picked equally is a next to impossible task for any competitive game.

LiK

How necessary is a mic/voice chat to improve in this game? I basically never play multiplayer, so I never got one, but I really liked what I played of this on PC and will probably be sinking more time into it

Never used it in a single game. Don't give a shit.

Keep in mind that it's pro play, where of course they'll min max the hell out of things. Same with fighting games really. Like I don't think half of the roster of SF5 was presented in the capcom cup.

That's not to say that things can't be better really, but trying to balance things so that every character is picked equally is a next to impossible task for any competitive game.

Yeah if you watched the top like, 32, of any Capcom Cup major you'd have though SF5 has like 6 characters in it. It's nothing unusual.

And each meta report is only representative of like one week, which skews all of the results like crazy to make the game look way more imbalanced than it is.

Finally got to spend a few games with Symmetra. She was my favourite from the start but now...oh boy!

Love the changes.

Gold gun immediately bought!

Using Symmetra for defence and attack feels so good.

Anne

The game is imbalanced a bit atm, but yeah it's really not all that bad. It's mostly just Ana + the tanks thing causing issues.

I do think even at mid-high level things are kinda fucked for weaker heroes but it's just a spike in power pulling away from them. There's still stuff to mess with at least.

The game is imbalanced a bit atm, but yeah it's really not all that bad. It's mostly just Ana + the tanks thing causing issues.

I do think even at mid-high level things are kinda fucked for weaker heroes but it's just a spike in power pulling away from them. There's still stuff to mess with at least.

Tho the tanks being so prevalent is very heavily cause of Ana's heal being so good, so really the main problem is Ana.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Oh god that snowball game is so bad. Spend 10-15 minutes looking for snowballs and then don't get a box when you lose. It's just not fun.

Won once, and then lost like 8-10 matches in a row trying to get friends their first boxes. It would be nice if there was a reward for at least trying.

Make Ana's grenade only debuff.

Give Mercy the heal grenade.

Oh god that snowball game is so bad. Spend 10-15 minutes looking for snowballs and then don't get a box when you lose. It's just not fun.

Won once, and then lost like 8-10 matches in a row trying to get friends their first boxes. It would be nice if there was a reward for at least trying.

Man, I love the snowball fight. The tension of reloading and watching your corners is great. The mind games when you're 1v1-ing someone and you're both out of ammo is fantastic (pro tip: if they're already reloading, use your wall to lift them off of the snow pile and interrupt the reload). The clutch 1vX opportunities. It's great.

Akuun

Man, I love the snowball fight. The tension of reloading and watching your corners is great. The mind games when you're 1v1-ing someone and you're both out of ammo is fantastic (pro tip: if they're already reloading, use your wall to lift them off of the snow pile and interrupt the reload). The clutch 1vX opportunities. It's great.
Those aspects of it can be interesting, but when you spend like two hours losing over and over because you keep getting put into groups better than you and your own group either keeps missing their shots or keeps thinking that icewalling your own entrance at the start of the round is funny...

It gets old real fast. :(

Blues1990

Those aspects of it can be interesting, but when you spend like two hours losing over and over because you keep getting put into groups better than you and your own group either keeps missing their shots or keeps thinking that icewalling your own entrance at the start of the round is funny...

I would've liked if there was a score system, and instead of killing everyone in one shot, you & your team have to gain as many points as possible before the round ends.

Cappa

Banned

Exactly this, pros like to stick to what works. Its the same in professional sports as well, people usually just stick to the same tactics with some variations.

Why change what works and risk losing? It sounds boring to the average joes like us, but if youre playing for money you dont care about anything else but winning.

The best part of the Symmetra update, is that I'll finally be able to get the trophy for Winston. Damn impossible without her.
It was more than fine when no limits was default. You'd get it when you inevitably ran into a Symmetra meme team.

Let's be glad we don't have to deal with that right now, lol

Greddleok

I honestly never did.

I'm not having fun in comp right now so I'm doing my best to work on getting achievements. All I can say is that I SUCK with Reaper.

LiK

I gave up on achievements. The fact that QP limits to one hero actually makes some of them harder. So meh, whatever.

Greddleok

It's a fun distraction when your team sucks :)

I'd like to get back into Comp, I'm just too stressed out from work right now that I'm not really in the right frame of mind for anything additionally stressful!

LiK

It's a fun distraction when your team sucks :)

I'd like to get back into Comp, I'm just too stressed out from work right now that I'm not really in the right frame of mind for anything additionally stressful!

Arcade is fun. Mystery Gift makes it even less stressful cuz people won't yell at you for your picks since it's randomized.

I'll probably try to practice in QP again soon.

Akuun

I would've liked if there was a score system, and instead of killing everyone in one shot, you & your team have to gain as many points as possible before the round ends.

That would have been a lot more fun, and a lot more like an actual snowball fight.

maouvin

Arcade is fun. Mystery Gift makes it even less stressful cuz people won't yell at you for your picks since it's randomized.

You'd be surprised.

Yesterday someone managed to spawn with the character he chose, yelled at our shitty picks and there was no convincing him it was random until he first respawned.

Water

I think they really failed with that game mode, and not just because I personally dislike it.
The theme is fun, but if you look at the mechanics, it's actually far more hardcore than normal quickplay. If you don't have good aim and reaction time, you just get smashed and there's no alternate role in which you could contribute. What's more, since the main shooting mechanic has been replaced, a lot of skill emphasized by the brawl doesn't even transfer directly to normal play.

The Halloween brawl was perfect for a seasonal event, provided a low pressure environment where for once you don't have to compete against other people, and where you had the opportunity to build transferrable mechanical skill with characters you have never played without getting destroyed or feeling like you're letting your team down. That doesn't exist in the game outside seasonal events so I'm baffled Blizzard would waste that slot for a super-hardcore PvP mode.

Blues1990

That would have been a lot more fun, and a lot more like an actual snowball fight.

Yeah, as it is now, it's basically the equivalent to getting hit by a snowball and crying to your parents about it. I love the idea behind the game type, and all of Mei's new voice lines are super cute ("Pat pat pat!"), but the gametype itself isn't all that fun.

Akuun

I think they really failed with that game mode, and not just because I personally dislike it.
The theme is fun, but if you look at the mechanics, it's actually far more hardcore than normal quickplay. If you don't have good aim and reaction time, you just get smashed and there's no alternate role in which you could contribute. What's more, since the main shooting mechanic has been replaced, a lot of skill emphasized by the brawl doesn't even transfer directly to normal play.

The Halloween brawl was perfect for a seasonal event, provided a low pressure environment where for once you don't have to compete against other people, and where you had the opportunity to build transferrable mechanical skill with characters you have never played without getting destroyed or feeling like you're letting your team down. That doesn't exist in the game outside seasonal events so I'm baffled Blizzard would waste that slot for a super-hardcore PvP mode.
The hardcore thing is a good point. You're shooting instagib shots with Hanzo arrow dropoff and you only have one shot before you have to run off and get snow, and when you're looking down to get snow you can't see anyone around you. If your aim, dodging and situational awareness is not super on point, you're fucked and then you sit out the rest of the match until the next round.

I Quake-style bunnyhop in snowball mode a lot more than I do in the main game because that one miss fucks people over so hard. But then some people can clearly shoot to account for that kind of bunnyhopping, which is a level of skill that you rarely notice in the main game because it's not rewarded as much as it does here.

Just got a message from a random while solo queuing that said I'm the best OW player they've ever seen 💀. I'm not that good(I'm only in Diamond), but I'll take the compliment lol I must be doing something right.

caesar

Banned

Its remarkably balanced for 23 characters tbh.

Apathy

You'd be surprised.

Yesterday someone managed to spawn with the character the chose, yelled at out shitty picks and there was no convincing him it was random until he first respawned.

Why couldn't you be better at RNG and get you main like that guy geeeeeeeeze. Step your RNG game up.

I was lucky enough to spend some time with the Complexity Overwatch team this weekend and Harbleu – one of the world’s best Roadhog players – made an excellent point when we were discussing their experience with Symmetra on the PTR: he won’t be able to 1-shot anyone as long as Symmetra’s Shield Generator is active. The tank lineups that have “plagued” the meta in recent times depend on the damage output of Roadhog’s 1-shots and D.Va’s 1v1 dueling capability but with Shield Generator active, DPS and Supports transform into pseudo-tanks with 225 (Tracer), 325 (Reaper and Mei), or 275 (everyone else) health. Under Shield Generator’s helpful aura, Soldier 76 and Reaper may actually be able to out-duel D.Va and one of the upsides to playing Roadhog could disappear. Could this usher in a new era of DPS heroes – at least on defense?

So the way to counter the tank meta was to make everyone sponges, woo

I hate how tanky the new Sym teleporter/generator is.

Also, why do people insist on playing Mercy in KOTH when they're getting eaten alive by the enemy Tracer/Genji the whole time smh

cyborg009

Banned
I'm might have to keep voice channel off for a while now. Playing as Ana a Winston keeps diving on the point and gets mad when he dies. Symmetra was raping the backline support characters with her turrets. Calls us trash and that he can't carry us.

Next game on the same damn map I kept begging a zen to heal me but he wouldn't. On defense he plays zen again and everyone ask him to switch but he says "No". I hate how some go for kills instead of healing...

Nimby

Banned
I think that so many people look at meta reports and think if you are not using these "6" heroes at the top, you are playing the game ineffectively. Which makes people go, "Well I win a ton of games with Genji/McCree. There's obviously a difference between my tier and their tier." It's true that pro teams will min/max heroes, making it seem like Genji is less effective overall (he still is pretty ineffective against triple tank). Where some teams are only running Soldier as their DPS, doesn't mean you have to.

It's also true that at least high-platinum above (I've ran into a few gold teams who ran straight meta and wrecked our shit) where you get team members who know the game, have played the game a decent amount of time, and/or have watched or participated in pro play of the game, teams running a(n) Rein, Roadhog, D.Va, Ana, Lucio are going to have a much higher probability of winning if you are not running the same thing. These characters are top because there is no way to counter there strategy other than running a close mirror.

For example as a support main, it is never absolutely necessary to use Ana, but in high health pool comps, it greatly increases her effectiveness and it pretty much is necessary to run her in those situations. Mercy is fine to use, especially if someone is insistent on running a Pharah or a crazy Bastion strat, or even on a team running 2 tanks with a McCree or Soldier. Basically any team that isn't tanky and has someone viable to pocket is an okay opportunity to run Mercy. Chances are though, that if the opposing team is running the meta comp, you will have to switch composition or lose the game.

Top Bottom