• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Sullichin

It's not like it's the only ult that can be negated by a regular ability though. Rein and D.va both eat some ults with right click alone. And Roadhog's disgusting hook, let's not forget.

That's true. Zen's ult is often used as a counter-ult though so I find it extra annoying. Save on to it and wait for the perfect time, and Ana can always throw her grenades.

KiraFA37

Holy fuck I'm triggered. First game of the day and I was having constant 3000+ ping lag spikes, I restarted and everything was fine for a couple of games. And then when playing comp on Gibraltar it came back with a vengeance, we lost the game because I couldn't do shit. Game is unplayable with that kind of lag, bonus points, I actually has 8000+ ping for a couple of seconds before it "normalized" to 3000 again.

Oh god 7/10 placement matches with 1W 1D 5L. I'm gonna end up in Bronze or sth :/

There's always these 4-5 man premades in my team that play like shit together while the enemy has a well-oiled machine. Props to KiraFA37 for suffering through this with me.

Yea no problem, although we really should have won the first and last match if it wasn't for my attrocious connection. The other games we played I felt that members of our team didn't pick the right characters, that winston pick wasn't that great on Eichenwalde imo, also too many junkrats and bastions.

Lol... Every time I've formed a group with the new stay as team function, after the first loss everyone disbands.

C'mon people! Who cares if you win or lose in qp! You can't win them all! Might as well get the +20% XP in the process

= Instant dead for Sombra. Especially if Sombra doesn't have her translocator ready. She is melted.
Unless Sombra fucks up, she pretty much always has transloc ready.

I'm not afraid of Sym at all as Sombra. If I die, it was invariably my mistake.

(Which is not to say that I don't find Sym annoying in general, or that the shield generator isn't kinda gross, especially on top of three+ tank health pools.)

KHlover

Banned
OMG we just defended the first point of Volskaya against six and a half minutes of overtime :D

This was one exciting draw.

Had we defended like that in regular time we'd have easily won tho :(

Probably my least favorite patch this year. Symmetra needs to be nerfed hard, anecdotally I've won significantly more defense games than ever before.

Yet Envy ran Reaper yesterday and owned with it. I think people are underusing Reaper a bit in this meta.

Yeah, but the enemy team didn't run a D,va if we're thinking about the same game.

Also wait, how does sym and reaper even compare to each other?

Whoever gets the drop usually wins.

Shredderi

Probably my least favorite patch this year. Symmetra needs to be nerfed hard, anecdotally I've won significantly more defense games than ever before.

Fucking truth. I was just lamenting with my friends about this. All of a sudden, coinciding with the new symmetra patch, I started to win more defenses in a 80/20 ratio. I dread attacking now. Sometimes I just cancel and queue for a defense game. It's fucking nightmare to have to power through Reapers and Meis that are tanks.

If I was Kaplan I'd make it so if you join a comp game without being in team chat with a mic connected you're booted from the game and banned from comp for 48 hours

I'm only half kidding

seriously though with the addition of stay as team, group chat needs to go

bjork

Lol... Every time I've formed a group with the new stay as team function, after the first loss everyone disbands.

C'mon people! Who cares if you win or lose in qp! You can't win them all! Might as well get the +20% XP in the process

When I do poorly, I bow out so I'm not dragging the team down. Which is like 90% of the time so far.

Shredderi

I wouldn't but they had to go and make the default quickplay (aka the only one anyone plays) play like competitive. No more fun chillaxing hilarious things just to have some fun. Now I gotta just go with it and be all fucking serious and for all intents and purposes, competitive. It is no lie that my enjoyment of the game has gone down at least 30% after that change. I liked that I could stack sometimes. So yeah I'm only left with caring about wins and tryharding.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Been over half a year why do people still refuse to have more than 1 healer in QP?
Why do they think solo healing is even an option for anyone but Ana? 2 heals has been viable for almost every meta since beta yet people still see one healer and go 'DUR GOT ENUFF *WIDOWMAKUH*'

dude went AFK cause he had to go get dinner. We managed to win tho. I swear golds not take comp seriously enough

One of the reasons I eventually swore off competitive was that having a family makes it nigh impossible to guarantee enough time to play Comp mode without the risk of having to leave early, and that's just unfair to everybody involved.

Comp mode isn't for everybody, and I've come to accept that. I made enough time to do placements this season so I could get my pittance of points at the end of the season, but it took me a week and a half to find enough time to be guaranteed the time to do those 10 placement games. :lol

Sullichin

Been over half a year why do people still refuse to have more than 1 healer in QP?
Why do they think solo healing is even an option for anyone but Ana? 2 heals has been viable for almost every meta since beta yet people still see one healer and go 'DUR GOT ENUFF *WIDOWMAKUH*'

I fucking hate when I'm the only healer and people ask me to switch to the healer of their choice.

Svartnatt

Had a great voiceover interaction last night that I didn't even know was a thing in the game.

Played a round of Winter Mystery and got Ana, while another on my team got Winston. We're attackers, so while waiting for the doors to open Winston emotes and uses a magnifying glass to check out his toes right in front of me.

I used my Ana voice line "Children behave" as it seemed quite appropriate for the Winston toe inspection.

To my surprise, Winstone retorts, "But I don't want to behave."

Gave me a good chuckle and made me admire the attention to detail Blizzard puts into this game.

I mean, how many times is an Ana gonna use that voice line near a Winston? Enough for them to take the time to actually record a response and put it in the game? Us players may give Blizzard lots of crap for some of the stuff they do, but it's the little things like this that really makes me appreciate them.

Skii

Well the people I play with think 1 healer is fine in competitive so...

When I do poorly, I bow out so I'm not dragging the team down. Which is like 90% of the time so far.

I see qp as good training grounds to get better with heroes, without the worry of affecting other people's SR. If you're teams losing and your playing your role, you shouldn't feel like your dragging down the team.

and speaking of winston voice lines, some of his best just happen randomly and aren't buyable

"Now you are the endangered species"

and

"Would you like to donate your body to science?"

I wouldn't but they had to go and make the default quickplay (aka the only one anyone plays) play like competitive. No more fun chillaxing hilarious things just to have some fun. Now I gotta just go with it and be all fucking serious and for all intents and purposes, competitive. It is no lie that my enjoyment of the game has gone down at least 30% after that change. I liked that I could stack sometimes. So yeah I'm only left with caring about wins and tryharding.

You can still play that in arcade

KHlover

Banned
Finally another win. Started off really bad, but once our Hanzo accepted that he sucks and changed we steamrolled them.

2W 2D 5L now. Another win sure would be nice, anything to keep the losses at 50% really.

I placed at 2121 after going 6-4 and being plat last season

I think the lowest I ever dropped to last season was 2340

christ

but I got a double legendary loot box with nutcracker zen in it right after so it evens it out I suppose

KHlover

Banned

Arcade > Quickplay

Both 6v6 stacked and 3v3 are way more fun than QP right now, imo. People still don't take it seriously, but it no longer has the hilarity you could get from 6v6 stacked.

That's pretty funny because that's what happened in my last match, a gold Mercy queuing with a diamond.

I ran into that last week. I main Mercy and there was a random diamond on my team. He kept saying he was trying to carry me, but I've never met that player before. Guess that's a thing now.

He kept telling me to pocket him too, but that's not how you win matches. Still made sure he was alive and kicking.

bjork

I see qp as good training grounds to get better with heroes, without the worry of affecting other people's SR. If you're teams losing and your playing your role, you shouldn't feel like your dragging down the team.

I just played three games. One we captured the objectives and won, the second one they pushed us all the way back to the spawn point and picked off anyone who got out, and in the third the team was pretty well-coordinated and got us in overtime. But when it's people going every which way, it's hard to know what role to play. I had 12 deaths in the last game. That's not helping anyone except the other side.

Blues1990

Hah, I may have to start playing more Winston to uncover these gems

Winston, while the Yeti skin is equipped, has some great lines. These are the ones I have heard (either when I'm playing the character or when someone was playing Yeti Winston):

"Now is the winter of our discontent."
"Yetis bounce."
"This yeti's sunk."
"I have a new trap to add to my collection." (When defeating an enemy Mei that has the Yeti Hunter skin equipped.)

KHlover

Banned
Okay won my last ranking match. KOTH on Lijang tower. Started awful, after 3 rounds it was 1-2 and I was 17-9 with Roadhog. Changed to D.Va and got 33-1 in the remaining two rounds. We went from barely winning a round to dominating the rest of the match.

Didn't think I was this bad with Hog tho, I like playing as him ;-;

Anyways, after 3W 2D 5L I'm now gold with 2338 SN.

Sorry for asking a dumb question but is there only one way to get the points for the Golden weapons? It's really hard for me to play competitive for so long and most of the times its fruitless since we lose anyways haha.

finalflame

Sorry for asking a dumb question but is there only one way to get the points for the Golden weapons? It's really hard for me to play competitive for so long and most of the times its fruitless since we lose anyways haha.

The only way is playing competitive. You'll get some extra at the end of the season based on your highest SR, but unless you're Grandmaster not enough in and of itself for a weapon. Gotta play.

Jellie

Only two ways, 10 for each win or end of season reward depending on what your highest tier was.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just did a comp game on Hanamura. We had Sym on defense but our healer was making sure he was placing a tele on A and not shield gen. Then they steamrolled to B and we lose.

Fight against them, they have Sym using shield gen and we can never get anything going. We have a tracer and sombra that never hunted it.

Gr8.

finalflame

Just did a comp game on Hanamura. We had Sym on defense but our healer was making sure he was placing a tele on A and not shield gen. Then they steamrolled to B and we lose.

Fight against them, they have Sym using shield gen and we can never get anything going. We have a tracer and sombra that never hunted it.

Gr8.

Hanamura: The source of 90% of all my frustrations in comp. No matter how much I clutch with Zarya on other maps doing solo queue, it just ain't possible on Hanamura. Teamwork or bust.

AngryMoth

Having the most annoying losses tonight. We were 4 v 5 with one minute to go and the enemy close to reaching the payload marker, I and telling our mercy "res, res, res, it's our only chance to save this!", she ignores me and we of course lose. Wtf are you doing do some people only use it for a 5 person res or some shit?

I placed at 2121 after going 6-4 and being plat last season

I think the lowest I ever dropped to last season was 2340

christ

but I got a double legendary loot box with nutcracker zen in it right after so it evens it out I suppose

For reference, I hit 2500 last season but never broke 2600.

Calibrated at 2100 this season, am not 10 away from 2600.

You can do it :D

KHlover

Banned
Having the most annoying losses tonight. We were 4 v 5 with one minute to go and the enemy close to reaching the payload marker, I and telling our mercy "res, res, res, it's our only chance to save this!", she ignores me and we of course lose. Wtf are you doing do some people only use it for a 5 person res or some shit?

If the match ends and your Mercy didn't res that was most likely the thought process.

Jellie

Aaaaand... 3 Symmetra POTGs in 2 hours. XD
6W1vbAC.gif

Top Bottom