• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Okay, cool. My two favorites are DPS and Tank, and I'm hoping on getting some practice as a healer soon. Any quick tips for that?

Lucio is probably the easiest to pick up from the start but if you're more of a dps type of player and can aim then Ana and Zen are really fun to have as your favorite healer.
^

Sorry for the late reply but I agree with this. Lucio would be the place to start for healing. He has two stances to switch between: Healing and Speed Boost. One of his abilities ramps up and increases the heals or speeds up the boost. All you have to do is stand next to someone to do your thing.

After last night's... disappointing comp session, I've decided to spend tonight leveling my dps smurf instead. It's not anywhere near Anne's, but it's still pretty funny to watch beginners. twitch.tv/mattz2007

Veelk

Banned
I still think it's funny how I used to bitch about how stressful comp was and just wanted QP to have a hero limit.

Well, got my wish, and now the roles are reversed. I go to QP for my chilled and relaxed games, and go to QP to get my rage on. Because there's no fixing bad players, and Comp just roots those out way better than QP. You can be playing fucking amazing, but your gonna lose if the other team is less shit than your shit team. Even the games I lose and am curb stomped are better just for the fact that people actually try to win. And since I hit diamond and have no interest in getting higher than that, I don't even care about scores anymore, so it's just good games now.

cHinzo

Fuck Blizzard's broken shitty rejoin button. They gotta fix that shit someday, because the current one isn't even working properly. Already lost 100 SR from being unable to connect to their dumb servers. It's so bad.

Even the games I lose and am curb stomped are better just for the fact that people actually try to win.

You just nailed the number one thing I hate about comp in this game. I don't mind losing, especially if it was a good match.

But nothing pisses me off more than when we lose a match we could have 100% won because someone gave up, or was trolling or being a general idiot from the start.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Really? The times I had to resort to it has worked fine. Actually the 2 times I've had to do it this season I managed to win the games I've rejoined.

Veelk

Banned
You just nailed the number one thing I hate about comp in this game. I don't mind losing, especially if it was a good match.

But nothing pisses me off more than when we lose a match we could have 100% won because someone gave up, or was trolling or being a general idiot from the start.
*shrug* doesn't really happen to me. It used to, on lower ranks. But honestly, a lot of it was because you lost rank. Now I don't care. I got as high as I wanted and probably am able to go.

Edit: On second thought, I just had a game basically exactly like this. We murdered them in the first half, then my team started fucking around with the comp because they got overconfident. I told them not to, but nope. So we lost to an attack torb. That was annoying. But still, it's refreshing to not actually care about the rankings. You can just...play the game.

zeemumu

My favorite feeling is when someone on the other team types "kill that fucking Tracer" on the match chat. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

I need to work on learning to use a tank and defensive character though

ohkay

My favorite feeling is when someone on the other team types "kill that fucking Tracer" on the match chat. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.
Definitely a good feeling. I remember one match the enemy Ana called me Tracer god just because I kept killing her.

Anyways, I think I've realized I can't personally carry on support, so I've switched to auto locking Soldier every game and I'm sitting at a 74% win rate with him. Feelsgoodman

Oxn

Is it possible to be so bad at this game and other FPSs and still be so addicted? Think i lost like 8 games in a role now.

My win/lose ratio must be like 1:4 or something lol.

Just got the game yesterday.

Grisby

I could lose for days and still keep coming back for more.

I also got 3 epics out of 4 arcade boxes just a moment ago. My god. I;m gonna get hit with the RNGhammer for the new years event.

Is it possible to be so bad at this game and other FPSs and still be so addicted? Think i lost like 8 games in a role now.

There's something insanely addictive about playing, even when I go on a cold streak I keep playing. But as you get better you'll find yourself losing fewer matches,

antitrop

When I first started playing the game at launch, I was a Torbjorn main. Easy character to learn and this was console pre-nerf, so...

YSB5twS.png

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Symettra is basically freebie kills at this point.

I can't lose with her. 39 elims

The sentries are super powerful in clusters of 3+. The shield generator lasting practically forever is a massive boost for your team. And she's a tank-destroyer.

Feels broken as all hell.

Antiwhippy

Symettra is basically freebie kills at this point.

I can't lose with her. 39 elims

The sentries are super powerful in clusters of 3+. The shield generator lasting practically forever is a massive boost for your team. And she's a tank-destroyer.

Feels broken as all hell.

You've been playing some bad tanks then. Every tank will straight up kill her before she can ramp up any charges.

Tell me, how are you going to kill a reinhardt when you have to go right up to his 75dmg swings while you try to work down his 500HP pool?

Also elims means jack with Sym honestly, and I say this as a person who used to play sym a lot even pre-buff. Her turrets touch everything, and even if they don't do a lot of damage you get the kill even if someone else did 80% of the work. Not to say that the turrets don't help in that case because they work great as a distraction, but elims don't mean much for syms.

Like I find it a little bit funny when people talk about stuff they say feels broken about her when it is stuff that were there pre-buff. Shield generator is the game changer. Nothing else really comes close.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You've been playing some bad tanks then. Every tank will straight up kill her before she can ramp up any charges.

Tell me, how are you going to kill a reinhardt when you have to go right up to his 75dmg swings while you try to work down his 500HP pool?

Also elims means jack with Sym honestly, and I say this as a person who used to play sym a lot even pre-buff. Her turrets touch everything, and even if they don't do a lot of damage you get the kill even if someone else did 80% of the work. Not to say that the turrets don't help in that case because they work great as a distraction, but elims don't mean much for syms.

I played Symm a bunch before the update - probably 6th or so most played char with over 100 hours on the clock total.

I chase a DPS, ramp up a charge on that and/or a healer, and then go for the Rein.

That said, admittedly, Rein is the toughest.

D.Va is easy mode. If you get RH down to low health, they're forced to pop their heal and at that point, just jump around to avoid the inevitable hook.

Agreed about Sentries giving you a free boost on your total elim count. But just holding down her gun I'm getting kill after kill bouncing around.

I mean, I just played three games in a row. Won. I didn't die once. Had 30+ elims.

I don't know... the distance of her gun and the power of 3+ clusters in one cramped room feel *really* strong. At least to me. At the very least, her shield generator is a massive game changer and a requirement on some matches, IMO.

Antiwhippy

You've been playing some bad tanks. DVa should have absolutely no trouble shredding a sym at all if they can track (which they should if they actually want to play a shooter), roadhogs should be able to just gun her down or even hook her for the stun. You're talking about 2 tanks that have insanely high DPS at the range sym has to go in on, and also the highest healthpools. DVa's get more idiculous because her armour helps her mitigate a lot of the damage.

Like I'm not saying sym isn't strong really, but I still would not advise going up against tanks unless they have their attention focused elsewhere.

Sure! That's part of what makes Overwatch so great.

Although don't worry, you'll get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses as a player after a time. Play to those and work to compliment your team, even in Quick Play, and you'll see more reliable victories.

And don't be afraid to just have fun sometimes, meta be damned. It can be really refreshing.
fucking hell if this isn't me

Yup... Mercy ruins everything.

cyborg009

Banned
Sure! That's part of what makes Overwatch so great.

Although don't worry, you'll get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses as a player after a time. Play to those and work to compliment your team, even in Quick Play, and you'll see more reliable victories.

And don't be afraid to just have fun sometimes, meta be damned. It can be really refreshing.

Yup... Mercy ruins everything.

Had a mercy on hamaura that didn't rez the entire match lol shes was the only healer too.

Magwik

Banned
I'm done with comp. Nobody switches anymore and nobody plays healer. Dropped 100 points because apparently low plat is worse than high gold.

That beautiful feeling when the enemy team on Hanamura tries a janky ass stalling comp and you break it with a "Fuck it I give up" Bastion pick.

Veelk

Banned
Just went down around 200 points today. I'm close to dropping out of diamond. And it doesn't bother me at all.

It's so freeing. I'd have raged so much before. The bliss of indifference. :)

Late night overwatch is bitchy as fuck though. Last game had a straight up fight between a player who wouldn't switch off Tracer and a guy who wanted him as soldier since he could contribute to the team better. Oh well.

Some guy in my match really needs to learn the meaning of quit while you are ahead.

Dropped from Top 500 Rank 30's to totally out of the top 500s in the span of today lol.

I had the most frustrating comp match ever tonight. First, I get put on a team with people on their mics, defending on Volskaya. Really good - except a guy on our team leaves ten seconds into the match and it's cancelled. So I request and end up at Nepal - against the people (minus the quitting guy) who were previously on my team. Twice as D.Va on the first two points I cleared 3 people by myself on the first push. Except I then died due to taking people 4 on 1, and discovered not a single other person on my team had been on the point helping me the entire time. Proceeded to get no more kills because the team grouped up on the point and my team kept running in solo (our Zenyatta and Lucio both thought they could take on a team of six solo, for some reason).

So I said fuck it, became that guy, switched to Bastion and sat at the spawn point and watched my team run off. Waited thirty seconds for the control point to unlock, and the enemy team had 4 guys on it and I could see all my friendly arrows running around nowhere near the point. They took the point completely uncontested. I joined the fight and got a few kills as Bastion, but we lost as they never managed to take the point once because nobody ever went to it. I don't think I saw a single "contested" once that entire match. Ended the match with 9 eliminations (gold) along with gold in objective kills and time. I just did not understand what my team was thinking.

Decided to just do all my placement matches tonight - after a promising 3-0 start, ended up going 4-6 because I ended up teamed with some straight up idiots. Placed at 2288, despite having a season high of 2580 last season and finishing at 2506. Last season I started at 2380ish, so I guess the "start you lower" algorithm is in effect...or I just suck.

Tried to play one more game, just to see if I'd get a decent score or not with a win, but got teamed with a bunch of solos who all wanted to play DPS and no healer, and I was leading the charge with gold in eliminations as Lucio (6) defending the final point on Gibraltar when I got disconnected from the server for no reason and then when I came back my team had lost the point (of course) and we proceeded to do okay on attack...and in the middle of overtime at the third point it disconnected me AGAIN from PSN so I lose 50 SR points and get suspended from my account so I guess fuck it. I guess I'm just not going to do any more comp unless I do it with GAFers in a group.

It really sucks because I've put over 200 hours into this game, more than I've probably put into any multiplayer game, and I feel like I do everything mechanically right and know what I'm doing. I don't think I suck that bad, and I'm trying to have fun, but man. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do.

I had the most frustrating comp match ever tonight. First, I get put on a team with people on their mics, defending on Volskaya. Really good - except a guy on our team leaves ten seconds into the match and it's cancelled. So I request and end up at Nepal - against the people (minus the quitting guy) who were previously on my team. Twice as D.Va on the first two points I cleared 3 people by myself on the first push. Except I then died due to taking people 4 on 1, and discovered not a single other person on my team had been on the point helping me the entire time. Proceeded to get no more kills because the team grouped up on the point and my team kept running in solo (our Zenyatta and Lucio both thought they could take on a team of six solo, for some reason).

So I said fuck it, became that guy, switched to Bastion and sat at the spawn point and watched my team run off. Waited thirty seconds for the control point to unlock, and the enemy team had 4 guys on it and I could see all my friendly arrows running around nowhere near the point. They took the point completely uncontested. I joined the fight and got a few kills as Bastion, but we lost as they never managed to take the point once because nobody ever went to it. I don't think I saw a single "contested" once that entire match. Ended the match with 9 eliminations (gold) along with gold in objective kills and time. I just did not understand what my team was thinking.

Decided to just do all my placement matches tonight - after a promising 3-0 start, ended up going 4-6 because I ended up teamed with some straight up idiots. Placed at 2288, despite having a season high of 2580 last season and finishing at 2506. Last season I started at 2380ish, so I guess the "start you lower" algorithm is in effect...or I just suck.

Tried to play one more game, just to see if I'd get a decent score or not with a win, but got teamed with a bunch of solos who all wanted to play DPS and no healer, and I was leading the charge with gold in eliminations as Lucio (6) defending the final point on Gibraltar when I got disconnected from the server for no reason and then when I came back my team had lost the point (of course) and we proceeded to do okay on attack...and in the middle of overtime at the third point it disconnected me AGAIN from PSN so I lose 50 SR points and get suspended from my account so I guess fuck it. I guess I'm just not going to do any more comp unless I do it with GAFers in a group.

It really sucks because I've put over 200 hours into this game, more than I've probably put into any multiplayer game, and I feel like I do everything mechanically right and know what I'm doing. I don't think I suck that bad, and I'm trying to have fun, but man. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do.
Let's climb together :)

I've lost all my matches after being placed despite all of them either being close or just having dumbass teammates.

I know exactly how you feel, mechanically I'm fine really so there shouldn't be too much issue, it's just I get stuck on shitty teams or have 6 stacks wipe the floor.

I'm down to 2072 and I'm gonna have an anxiety attack if I drop any lower, I was plat/high gold last season ;_;

Antiwhippy

Just make connections through solo q.

I mostly solo q because i like not having to deal people sometimes, but I've met with people through solo q who are cool to group up with, mostly just people who aren't intolerable on voice chat. I've actually made pretty good use of the new group up function.

Fugu

Had a mercy on hamaura that didn't rez the entire match lol shes was the only healer too.
Solo healers can be instantly absolved of any mistake they make because solo healing is really, really hard and just generally a terrible idea.

Playing as a solo healer is essentially playing as a giant bullseye that's really easy to kill. Chances are you didn't get ressed because Mercy was dropped at or near the beginning of every team fight since killing her was the only thing they really needed to do to stop your healing completely.

There are almost no circumstances in which having only one healer is appropriate. You need two, not only for the healing output but to take the attention off of a single player.

Lucio on Nepal is a monster. A MONSTER
People complain a lot about Ana but Lucio is still the only character in the game that's a strong pick on every map and a must pick on an entire game mode.

Top Bottom