• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You can get away with solo heal as ana. If i have to solo heal I'll go ana. It's real frustrating most times, but i enjoy the challenge honestly. It really tests your sense of positioning and your ability to deal with flankers, which ana is insanely good at doing.

Just make connections through solo q.

I mostly solo q because i like not having to deal people sometimes, but I've met with people through solo q who are cool to group up with, mostly just people who aren't intolerable on voice chat. I've actually made pretty good use of the new group up function.
see
when people join comp without being in team chat
45f.jpg

Let's climb together :)

I've lost all my matches after being placed despite all of them either being close or just having dumbass teammates.

I know exactly how you feel, mechanically I'm fine really so there shouldn't be too much issue, it's just I get stuck on shitty teams or have 6 stacks wipe the floor.

I'm down to 2072 and I'm gonna have an anxiety attack if I drop any lower, I was plat/high gold last season ;_;

I'm down for that. I can't do solo queuing anymore. The fun for me in this game exists through talking plans out and working together as a team to wreck shit. So yeah, I'm all for teaming up.

With the stack of GAFers last night in QP I think we were 9-1 while I was there, and something like 7-4 the night before. Then when I solo queue'd in QP I went like 1-4 by myself, and then 4-7 overall today in solo queue comp. It's like night and day.

Just make connections through solo q.

I mostly solo q because i like not having to deal people sometimes, but I've met with people through solo q who are cool to group up with, mostly just people who aren't intolerable on voice chat. I've actually made pretty good use of the new group up function.

I've yet to meet a person/team worth grouping up with in solo. The one team tonight (that I didn't actually get to play with) was on voice chat, nobody else spoke into mics (or were in groups and didn't talk in team chat) so there was no point in grouping up. The function is nice, but when your team is a bunch of idiots you don't really want to hang with them again.

DOWN

Banned
What is the exact moment you are allowed to leave without penalty? As soon as Victory/Defeat pops on the screen?

Fugu

You can get away with solo heal as ana. If i have to solo heal I'll go ana. It's real frustrating most times, but i enjoy the challenge honestly. It really tests your sense of positioning and your ability to deal with flankers, which ana is insanely good at doing.
The problem is that in team fights the solo healer is such an obvious target that she's guaranteed to be killed first and even if it's a trade the other team still has two supports to your zero. When there are two healers, attackers have two different sources of mitigation that they have to take care of. Good burst healers can make focusing non-healing targets impractical or, in the case of Ana, entirely pointless, and the fact that there are two healers allows them to support each other and give the tanks/dps a much easier time.

I play a lot of Ana and against a considerable portion of the cast missing the sleep dart is decisive in a 1v1 fight unless your opponent sucks. The other problem is that Ana has very limited self-heal and the downtime that she'll inevitably face even if she survives the 1v1 encounter will limit her output. Speaking of output, Ana's is good but not sufficient enough against any reasonable comp to justify healing solo.

The main point is though that there's really no good reason not to run two supports. What do you really gain?

What is the exact moment you are allowed to leave without penalty? As soon as Victory/Defeat pops on the screen?
Yes. If you can leave without getting a penalty, the warning about getting a penalty won't display on-screen.

Antiwhippy

It's somewhat viable because ana is the only support that can render other supports near useless. Biotic grenade evens out the healing game quite a bit. Only trouble i have is if there's another ana on the other team but that just means we're gonna be dps anas for awhile.

Which is why I'm honestly fine with them getting rid of heal buff on grenade.

Solo healers can be instantly absolved of any mistake they make because solo healing is really, really hard and just generally a terrible idea.

Playing as a solo healer is essentially playing as a giant bullseye that's really easy to kill. Chances are you didn't get ressed because Mercy was dropped at or near the beginning of every team fight since killing her was the only thing they really needed to do to stop your healing completely.

There are almost no circumstances in which having only one healer is appropriate. You need two, not only for the healing output but to take the attention off of a single player.

Amen. I have seen so many games where the healer gets yelled at for dying, but the team doesnt realize someone like D.Va or Genji literally beelined the healer the moment the fighting started and stayed on them until they died. Happens more and more now thanks to Symmetra. Any opposing team would be dumb to not focus the other healer first, its why I use Winston so much.

The only characters I would dare solo heal as are Mercy and Lucio thanks to their high movement abilities, but usually its Mercy because I hate watching my teammates die as I can heal any harder. And even then I rarely get to use her Ult because I get focused asap when the ults start flying

Fugu

It's somewhat viable because ana is the only support that can render other supports near useless. Biotic grenade evens out the healing game quite a bit. Only trouble i have is if there's another ana on the other team but that just means we're gonna be dps anas for awhile.

Which is why I'm honestly fine with them getting rid of heal buff on grenade.
But Ana can also be healblocked by Ana. If you do a support trade, the count of healers for both teams is 1 for the team with 2 supports and 0 for the team with one. The gulf between 2 and 1 healers is large, but the one between 1 and 0 is much bigger. It's also only a few seconds and depends on you landing a good grenade, which in turn depends on your team having the flexibility to win the barrier game, which is unlikely if you always have to tiptoe around the fact that you only have one healer.

There are other problems with Ana solo heal, like the fact that your output drops to literally 0 whenever you have to reload.

I just checked Overbuff. My healing per game is in the 99th percentile for Ana and I still really doubt that's enough to use her as a solo healer just based on output alone. Going by my stats I heal about 10% more on average with Mercy, but she's so much more vulnerable that she's most likely to just end up dead.

I don't consider solo healing a challenge. I think it's a mistake that the whole team pays for, especially the unfortunate soul stuck on the healer.

Amen. I have seen so many games where the healer gets yelled at for dying, but the team doesnt realize someone like D.Va or Genji literally beelined the healer the moment the fighting started and stayed on them until they died. Happens more and more now thanks to Symmetra. Any opposing team would be dumb to not focus the other healer first, its why I use Winston so much.

The only characters I would dare solo heal as are Mercy and Lucio thanks to their high movement abilities, but usually its Mercy because I hate watching my teammates die as I can heal any harder. And even then I rarely get to use her Ult because I get focused asap when the ults start flying
I'm a top 300 Mercy on PC and I will not solo heal with her. It's just asking for a loss. Opponent has competent Winston, Genji, D.Va, Widow, or Roadhog? Done.

Antiwhippy

That's what i mean. If we both get healblocked in a teamfight the extra dps/tank might put the teamfight over.

I'm not saying it's 100% foolproof or the way to go, i just don't find it that unbearable. Especially when there's so much self sustain in the game. Biotic grenade + biotic field is kinda ridiculous actually.

Like i want 2 healers most times but if the team wants to go solo heal i try ways to get around it.

Fugu

That's what i mean. If we both get healblocked in a teamfight the extra dps/tank might put the teamfight over.

I'm not saying it's 100% foolproof or the way to go, i just don't find it that unbearable. Especially when there's so much self sustain in the game. Biotic grenade + biotic field is kinda ridiculous actually.
I think it's more likely that the extra support will be more useful than an extra dps/tank, and you're assuming a borderline best case scenario where both Anas take each other out instead of the single Ana just dying because she's easier to focus on, biotic grenade or not.

Antiwhippy

I think ana is probably the hardest support to focus on. If I'm being focused I'll save the grenade for myself, and sleep Dart + grenade is honestly kind of ridiculous. Nowadays i look at my enemies slept stat about as much as my healing stat.

AbaFadi

Banned
One of these days I'll have a competent Soldier on my team who can deal with Pharah.......one of these days......

It's hard to have a soldier take out a pharah without a discord orb I think. If she's smart enough she'll be close enough to cover to get away from you before the kill.

finalflame

Anecdotal evidence ELO hell is not fake:

On my main, I am struggling like a motherfucker after getting placed 2550 and falling to < 1900, and now back up to 2400. Horrible games often where teams do not understand comp, cannot and will not communicate, and just absolutely do not understand concepts like engaging in team fights instead of stalling and letting the enemy build ults, failing to follow up on picks, and generally being entirely uncooperative regardless of constructive feedback. This isn't EVERY game, obviously, but there are oh so goddamn many of them.

So I started an alt. On my alt, I started off OBVIOUSLY smurfing as I was experienced and playing against players that were new. That's just the nature of an alt. But as I played more matches my internal MMR has clearly adjusted, and quickly -- I am now level 12 and getting placed in Quick Play matches with players on my/enemy team that are ranked high diamond-master in Competitive this season, and non-ranked players usually in 300-400+ level range. And most these games in QP are better than my competitive games on my main. Playing some of my main heroes -- Zarya, Roadhog, D.Va, I am constantly in good, somewhat "balanced", satisfying matches where I usually feel synergy despite nobody really talking much other than to make some calls, and people naturally pick the correct comp/know when to push together and what to do. I am probably on a 20 game winning streak atm, and level 12.

Now tell me HOW that would be the case -- if I am the SAME player across both accounts, that starting an alt lands me in much better games with clearly much higher ranked/higher internal MMR players, and, for these matches, I am more than holding my own, while on my main I constantly feel bummed by the dynamics of my team and as if it's almost impossible to win matches unless I am able to be constantly on fire? Obviously I won't have the full picture until I get placed for competitive in my alt, but I get the feeling it will be what I expect.

Oh, and I only solo queue on both accounts for this entire season.

It's hard to have a soldier take out a pharah without a discord orb I think. If she's smart enough she'll be close enough to cover to get away from you before the kill.

The maps in question were Lijang and Kings Row. So she was fairly in the open, just waiting for combat to start to fly out and melt us healers

One of these days I'll have a competent Soldier on my team who can deal with Pharah.......one of these days......

I'm surprised that at your rank there isn't one, it's really easy to do it as a soldier. It can be annoying if there is a Mercy though, but if your Zen(discord)/Mercy(damage boost) helps then it's ok.

Even if you don't kill her, she has to drop immediately. She isn't doing much to help her team in that case, besides having the soldier/mccree being always on alert and checking the sky constantly.

I'm surprised that at your rank there isn't one, it's really easy to do it as a soldier. It can be annoying if there is a Mercy though, but if your Zen(discord)/Mercy(damage boost) helps then it's ok.

Even if you don't kill her, she has to drop immediately. She isn't doing much to help her team in that case, besides having the soldier/mccree being always on alert and checking the sky constantly.

There are lol, they just seem to fail or give up on trying to kill her. Then blame everyone else for dying to her

we roll the defence team on dorado.

We're on defence and hold great at archway before first point. With about 50seconds left Reinhardt gets greedy and goes all the way forward with earth shatter uses it on one person then dies. Enemy team earth shatters and takes 3 people out.
They take 1st point.
Reinhardt disconnects and doesnt join back.

They get all 3 points.
People start disconnecting realising imminent defeat.

:)))))))))))))))))))

Jblanks

This is like the 3rd time I've come back to the game after taking a break and every time I asked myself why I took a break. Game is too good. These events are like crack though, any word/hints what the next one might be? Glad to be back. Will be sticking around for a lot longer this time.

Also agree with all the comments of having 2 healers is essential. I love playing Zen, but it's hard sometimes to get all that healing out. Unfortunately most people in QP see one healer and they think it's viable. One day people will learn.

PS: I learned today that there's gold emotes.. feels bad. Would've rather got 500 credits.

KarmaCow

Note to self: never play comp on weekends. The difference in players is staggering. I'm not trying to prop myself up but rather weekend games are invariably filled with shitbags who will sabotage the team on the smallest perceived slight. Truly awful and turns every game into a coinflip on which team has the most toxic players.

Xater

Note to self: never play comp on weekends. The difference in players is staggering. I'm not trying to prop myself up but rather weekend games are invariably filled with shitbags who will sabotage the team on the smallest perceived slight. Truly awful and turns every game into a coinflip on which team has the most toxic players.

My success rate in competitive has been way higher during weekdays as well.

what was that 350 mb update for really?
and yes i have seen the patch notes, i am super uninformed on anything but am totally guessing no way its just some bug fixes

Sigh man i just dont understand this game sometimes.

We lose the first round in koth but its really close. Another guy on our team wanted to be Zarya so he asked the person who already was playing her. The guy changed from Zarya to torb then went the whole second round as him because ??????

No one told him he sucked or anything but yh

Then 3rd round he went reinhardt.

TheChaos0

You know what, I had a thought today. Overwatch solo and even duo queue is just another form of gambling. Winning or losing just feels like a chance because people on your and enemy team are often all of a completely different skill level, even if they are have the same rating. You either steam roll or get steam rolled, I rarely ever get good close matches. The games likes to ping pong me as well, win 1, lose 1, win 1, lose 1, win 1, lose 1. Zzzzzzzzzzz...

The best way I found to rank up, is to play 3 stack. You are in control of half of the team and more often than not the opposite's team 3 stack suck, even if they don't, if you have a better communication you can win easy.

Facism

wew lads, just had my first team wipe.

Was Pharah, coordinated with Zarya, both had our ultimate ready. we had 15 seconds left to get the payload to the finish on Hollywood, so i flanked the enemy team, Zarya pumped off her black hole and i rained bukkake missiles down onto the 5 guys who got caught in it, killed them all, then got the straggling Junkrat. won with 5 seconds left on the time.

Absolutely bantered them off.

You know what, I had a thought today. Overwatch solo and even duo queue is just another form of gambling. Winning or losing just feels like a chance because people on your and enemy team are often all of a completely different skill level, even if they are have the same rating. You either steam roll or get steam rolled, I rarely ever get good close matches. The games likes to ping pong me as well, win 1, lose 1, win 1, lose 1, win 1, lose 1. Zzzzzzzzzzz...

The best way I found to rank up, is to play 3 stack. You are in control of half of the team and more often than not the opposite's team 3 stack suck, even if they don't, if you have a better communication you can win easy.

I don't have anyone to play with as i jumped in later than the guys i know, who have now moved on. Solo all the time for me, unfortunately :p

i've found the best success with 4-5, you control the flow of the game completely and more often than not, the solo player is amazing

LiK

I'm done with comp. Nobody switches anymore and nobody plays healer. Dropped 100 points because apparently low plat is worse than high gold.

I think playing Zen is a good mix. You can attack and heal also. No one can bitch at you for not playing support. If they want someone else, tough luck. I've been playing as him in QP. Zen really is fun to play no matter the team comp.

i've found the best success with 4-5, you control the flow of the game completely and more often than not, the solo player is amazing

The only problem with going with a 4+ man group is you'll end up MMing against a 6 man group more often.

Top Bottom