• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

hypernima

Banned
I went to platinum with a mix of solo Qing and grouped, but the groups I'm in are pretty much people I've met up in Solo Q.

I thought it would be hard for me to do when I went down to as low as 1800s and floating in the 2100s, but you really just need to get a good streak going.

I dunno man, people on ps4 are totally lobotomized. It's really not that hard a game to play but it seems like brain surgery for some.

I'm at 1750 now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why the fuck are there so many fucking Diamonds in the 2500-2700 range

Jesus, its not team ups, its solo diamond tiers who lost that much SR?

antitrop

This game is very streaky. I dropped from 3300 to 2800 like I had never played a game of Overwatch in my life, then climbed back to 3200 no problem, so on and so forth. That's just how it goes for most people.

Such is life with team games, that never happened to me in StarCraft 1v1 ladder, I always maintained a pretty consistent ranking.

GraveRobberX

This game is very streaky. I dropped from 3300 to 2800 like I had never played a game of Overwatch in my life, then climbed back to 3200 no problem, so on and so forth. That's just how it goes for most people.

Yeah, but that fall from grace...
Yeesh

Highest I saw was a 3300+ Diamond mucking around in the 2600 SR pool
I was like what?, their solo?

I mean the tiers are only 500SR apart, going on a losing streak really wrecks you

Jellie

Such is life with team games, that never happened to me in StarCraft 1v1 ladder, I always maintained a pretty consistent ranking.
Same thing happened to me last season.
3300->2750 solo queue support.
Streaks impact SR too much I think. Saw a guy in QP go from season 2 2500 to 4300 this season which is nuts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've met a lot of diamond players who fell 1000SR or so.

One of them was explicitly throwing, but most of them seemed sincere, and if I'm being honest played in a way that explains their fall.

I think the SR inflation system after people finished their placements lead to that in a way.

GraveRobberX

Wish they would release infographs for seasons

Like Best SR per platform
No names, just what was achieved milestone wise

Like which player climbed the most, lost the most, w/l ratio, etc.
Again no names just numbers

It would at least show some things about how their matchmaking system is performing

Would really love to see if there was more gain or loss total for the population pool overall, hero choices
Early, mid, late game choices to boot

I like looking at those stats it shows a glimpse of how the game changes from season to season

Genji is signaling his ult is ready. Clearly this means he sees my nano boost is ready but I'm dead, so he's going to wait to go in until I'm alive aga-nope, nope he's just going in solo and now he's dead.

Sigh.

Antiwhippy

Wish they would release infographs for seasons

Like Best SR per platform
No names, just what was achieved milestone wise

Like which player climbed the most, lost the most, w/l ratio, etc.
Again no names just numbers

It would at least show some things about how their matchmaking system is performing

Would really love to see if there was more gain or loss total for the population pool overall, hero choices
Early, mid, late game choices to boot

I like looking at those stats it shows a glimpse of how the game changes from season to season

I mean this gives you a rough idea. Evermore is still 5000SR.

https://www.overbuff.com/rankings

GraveRobberX

Genji is signaling his ult is ready. Clearly this means he sees my nano boost is ready but I'm dead, so he's going to wait to go in until I'm alive aga-nope, nope he's just going in solo and now he's dead.

Sigh.

Best is you as Pharah have Ultimate, so does Zarya
You let them know by comm wheel
No acknowledge, waiting, die
Respawn, just as you open wheel to restate last message, Zarya Ultimates
Fuuu...

Antiwhippy

Evermore is pretty mediocre in pro play though funnily enough.

Like, he's good, but clearly not a very team-oriented player.

I placed at ~3050, climbed a bit to 3170 and then almost dropped to gold doing soloq (I was 25XX) in 3 days. It can be really bad when you get troll after troll, it reached the point when I was the one doing the trolling when people instalocked shitty characters. I managed to climb again, but now I basically only do comp if I group up with someone else, preferably 3 to 6 stacks.

KarmaCow

I placed at ~3050, climbed a bit to 3170 and then almost dropped to gold doing soloq (I was 25XX) in 3 days. It can be really bad when you get troll after troll, it reached the point when I was the one doing the trolling when people instalocked shitty characters. I managed to climb again, but now I basically only do comp if I group up with someone else, preferably 3 to 6 stacks.

Ugh don't do this, it helps no one. There are so many games where I thought we were severely disadvantaged because we had a torb or sym or both on attack/koth and it worked out fine, great even. Give it a chance. The meta comp from tournaments is not that applicable to lower ranked games (or even tournaments either really). It's always better to at least try to work with your team no matter how shitty it seems rather than sending everyone on the team on a downward spiral.

antitrop

It's not worth getting mad at picks before the round starts. Any team comp can work sometimes.

Now if it's not working and they refuse to change, well, that's something to get mad about. I'm pretty open to giving almost anything a shot at the beginning of a round, though. I've won plenty of dumb games in dumb ways, it happens.

rulerk1

I was trying to get ppl to group up at the Christmas tree at Hananura attack spawn to put ornaments obit and no grouped up with me. :(

Where's the Christmas spirit?!?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I thought Mystery Heroes wasn't so bad before, but I haven't won a single.fucking.game tonight.

Wtf.

Fancolors

I doodled Hanzo because I have a mighty need of owning hipster skin.

0Ny73pz.jpg

Antiwhippy

I was trying to get ppl to group up at the Christmas tree at Hananura attack spawn to put ornaments obit and no grouped up with me. :(

Where's the Christmas spirit?!?

I spray the tree with my halloween sprays because the halloween sprays >>>> the christmas sprays.

Shouta

Man, 3 Tank meta is so annoying when your team doesn't know how to play it. It's just floundering around at that point.

Geneijin

Man, 3 Tank meta is so annoying when your team doesn't know how to play it. It's just floundering around at that point.
People think 3 tank is an automatic win, but I see people picking Mercy instead of Lucio, Winston instead of Roadhog, and Junkrat instead of Soldier: 76 to make it truly work.

darklin0

Banned
I just focus the Ana 100%. I haven't lost against that comp once.
People think 3 tank is an automatic win, but I see people picking Mercy instead of Lucio, Winston instead of Roadhog, and Junkrat instead of Soldier: 76 to make it truly work.
3 tank needs tons of coordination, it is not easy to to pull off.

Ugh don't do this, it helps no one. There are so many games where I thought we were severely disadvantaged because we had a torb or sym or both on attack/koth and it worked out fine, great even. Give it a chance. The meta comp from tournaments is not that applicable to lower ranked games (or even tournaments either really). It's always better to at least try to work with your team no matter how shitty it seems rather than sending everyone on the team on a downward spiral.

That's easy to say, but when you are on a losing streak and get a widow on attack on gibraltar that never changes when you can't even get to the 1st checkpoint, who do you think that I instalock on defense? They actually picked a "decent" enough team for defense, but by that point don't count on me to play with my best characters... too much tilt. It was a rough season start, but at least I learned my lesson.

I was stuck on a bad connection since S3 started and only the other day got back and decided to do placement matches.

A) Why are there so many tanks. This isn't fun at all
B) Why are there so many premade diamond and gold teams playing against unplaced teams

My friends list is extremely barren right now. Anybody want to add me? I'm FlameBeaver #1469, and as a fair warning I am stunningly terrible at this game.

Anne

I was stuck on a bad connection since S3 started and only the other day got back and decided to do placement matches.

A) Why are there so many tanks. This isn't fun at all
B) Why are there so many premade diamond and gold teams playing against unplaced teams

Tanks are broken right now, mostly supported by Ana's insane healing

While in placements you are still grouped by MMR. If an unranked player is in a diamond game, it means the matchmaking thinks they might belong around that level.

Anyways I'm glad Blizzard said they want to avoid "Ana 2.0" with Sombra. The exact thing I was worried about they are trying to work around. Thumbs up Blizz.

AbaFadi

Banned
Tanks are broken right now, mostly supported by Ana's insane healing

While in placements you are still grouped by MMR. If an unranked player is in a diamond game, it means the matchmaking thinks they might belong around that level.

Anyways I'm glad Blizzard said they want to avoid "Ana 2.0" with Sombra. The exact thing I was worried about they are trying to work around. Thumbs up Blizz.

Yeah I was new to PC this season and near the last 4 placement games I got placed against all diamonds. I ended up getting placed at 3044.

Antiwhippy

Yeah looks like we can look forward to some ana nerfs after the holidays.

Fingers crossed that they do it sensibly. They actually tend to do a pretty good job tuning characters down after they've overpowered them i.e. Zenyetta, Mccree, and hell, I'd even say lucio in all honesty.

Ken

Today while browsing hero gallery I learned Zarya had a cool legendary emote this event and then I got it in my next loot box lol.

Just had a game with my first truly "Toxic" player. Guy blamed everyone on the team for being shitty over the mic, "Don't play comp if you don't have a mic" , "Learn Team Compositions" , You all fucking suck and all that.

When I get sick of his shit and actually called him out on the mic all he did was fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuck over and over again. What a fucking child, all I could do was laugh at the situation

He was actually pulling up the team's profiles mid match just to talk trash, ya know, instead of trying to win I guess?

I really just don't get the average player in comp.

First game - we make it all the way to the end on Numbani but get stopped 2m from the finish - that's okay, we made it pretty far. But the duo group (not on mics in chat) decide to go Reinhardt/Bastion and sit close to spawn and spam group up. Me (D.Va), the two healers, and Soldier all sit back at the point on a more defensible position and say group up. They ignore us. Spend the first two minutes defending the point from Tracer, Soldier, and others who get by their brilliant defense, until the entire enemy team has ults, massacres the Rein and Bastion, and leaves us down 6-4 for the team fight on the point. We lose, and they basically walk the payload to the end of the map with no resistance because the Bastion keeps immediately dying over and over because he doesn't group up or switch.

Second game on Anubis - everybody picks DPS/Tank/Symmetra, leaving me to pick a healer so I go with Ana due to the team comp. Guy on mic scoffs and says "Ana huh, you better be good with her." We lose the first point but manage to put together a decent hold on the second, partly because I keep their asses alive solo healing my ass off, and I slept several ulting people over the course of the match. Not a pro Ana, but not too shabby. On Attack, guys on mic go Rein and Lucio...and somebody else instalocks Ana. So I go Soldier...and we proceed to get fucked and never push. By the end I look at our team comp and both our healers have switched to DPS without notifying anyone, and at the end the same guy (who chose Lucio initially) who scoffed at me choosing Ana gets on mic again just to say "this is why I never go healer - you can't trust other people to get kills." Dude, maybe I could have gotten kills if you hadn't switched off Lucio in the middle of the game and left us with no support at all.

I'm just flabbergasted at how people don't have any sort of self-awareness. Is it like this in all multiplayer games nowadays? I haven't played anything online multiplayer with randoms outside of Overwatch and a little Killzone 2 back in the day. Or is it just it's easier to solo carry and be a badass in other shooters?

antitrop

Watched one of the guys from the Your Overwatch youtube get Grandmasters. Took him a 9 hour stream to climb 3900 to 4000, the first few hours of the stream was just nothing but asshole teammates, then finally broke into a good streak.

The one I was matched up with earlier kept buffing me as a Symmetra even though we had a Reaper spamming the ultimate key on the wheel. Ugh.
Lmao, mine actually gave it to me as 76 at the most clutch moments. It was a breath of fresh air.

Of course after that I just got pure garbage teammates for like three matches. Wheee. Solo-Q sucks.

Top Bottom