• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

matmanx1

I'll definitely be working on the 15 HotS games throughout the holiday season. I have 1 RL friend who's committed to helping but we'll see how that pans out as we try to get our schedules together.

DevilDog

HOTS starts on the 15th, I'd wager that it goes live in 3 hours. Fight me.

Overwatch OT cycle: Hanzo sucks -> Mei sucks -> Junkrat sucks -> Widowmaker sucks -> Sombra?! -> lol Symmetra -> Hanzo sucks

Rinse and repeat.

Trash tier shitpost of someone who apparently doesn't understand the problems with these heroes.

Pooya

15 games takes like an hour in Vs. AI on Beginner. People don't mess around on Beginner. They just play that to dump quests, so they just gang up on the AI and clear it in 3-4 mins. You can easily do 15 games in an hour. It's just the most boring thing in the world.

I dropped from 2230 -> 1976 in the last two days (PS4).

In the last couple of weeks I've had a lot of success waiting for the rest of the team to pick then filling a role but the comps I've had since Sunday were atrocious. I'm talking about a KOTH team that has a Sym, Torb & Bastion.

Teams with 5 low DPS characters with no tank & no healers. I don't think I've ever had such a bad run of team compositions. I mic up for every game and try to stay as positive as can but it's just so demoralizing.

I've met a few good dudes online that I party with pretty regularly. I need to just do that and never solo Q. Or at least take a few days off.

/rant you've heard a thousand times

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you play super aggressively and use his mine mostly as map traversal, one-on-one is awesome. His spike damage is high and people don't expect you to try to faceroll them, so they'll often back up. That's when you try to trap them.

I don't ever play him as defensive area denial.

His Spike damage is honestly not that good for how inconsistent his damage is. 120 for slow as shit projectiles with an arc doesn't beat out 140 from a mccree headshot, 150 from a mei icicle, or even the same damage from pharah because they can just pump out more consistent damage, and if you say that you can lay down more consistent damage as him than those characters, it probably means you're bad with them (which is fine). Like, i don't see a junkrat ever winning 1v1 against those characters because his projectiles are slow as shit in their range.

Which also brings up his issue of finishing people.

Trash tier shitpost of someone who apparently doesn't understand the problems with these heroes.

Oh no, I understand the problems of the heroes because every time I come into the OT somebody is always complaining about them. It's not so much shit posting as just complete mental exhaustion seeing the same shit repeated over and over again, usually by the same people.

Like I roll my eyes every time one of Hanzo's tree trunks hits me in game, but I don't feel the need to complain about him in the OT any time somebody mentions his name.

I'd say drive-by "Delete Junkrat" posts are way more shitposting territory. Shrug.

Mei says hello. :)
No, she's super easy to shut down. Sure, she can be a pain in the ass a lot of times but for the most part it's fair.

Zarya is always hanging around with 2 or 3 people, giving them those obnoxious little shields and doing absurds amounts of damage. It's a walking fortress.

And the ult? My god, please forgive that ult.

I'm dead, I really don't get some people on Comp.

So we had this team on defense Hanamura, and we got an ana and a sym. This one guy suddenly goes apeshit 10 seconds into the match and yells at us for having those two characters. Then he says if they don't care he won't either and goes from dps to triple tank even though we only had ana as the healer. (Keep in mind this ana was pretty decent, and Sym actually saved us a couple times with her teleporters.)

So second round comes, he picks Widowmaker, and then runs around near the spawn for the entire match while calling out every other teammates flaws and faults before ending with "I feel bad for the people who wanted to try and win, it's too bad our team sucks." And then we lost.

I was almost in tears man. I kept my mic off cause I was laughing too much at what he was saying. I know the other teammates were pissed though. I really don't get people on comp. Why play if you're willing to throw in the match in the first 10 seconds tho.

DevilDog

Oh no, I understand the problems of the heroes because every time I come into the OT somebody is always complaining about them. It's not so much shit posting as just complete mental exhaustion seeing the same shit repeated over and over again, usually by the same people.

Like I roll my eyes every time one of Hanzo's tree trunks hits me in game, but I don't feel the need to complain about him in the OT any time somebody mentions his name.

I'd say drive-by "Delete Junkrat" posts are way more shitposting territory. Shrug.

Oh shitposting is ok, just don't shitpost while quoting someone making valid points about the problems.

I was almost in tears man. I kept my mic off cause I was laughing too much at what he was saying. I know the other teammates were pissed though. I really don't get people on comp. Why play if you're willing to throw in the match in the first 10 seconds tho.

Even with the very worst teammates I'll still push to play the objective and win. It's amazing how toxic some people can be though.

R0ckman

Is junkrat still the new hanzo?

Are there any new rewards for comp season 3? Might stick to quick play otherwise. Quick matches and pretty much the same stupidity if you go 100% random with no party. At least thats what I gathered from PTR.

So we had this team on defense Hanamura, and we got an ana and a sym. This one guy suddenly goes apeshit 10 seconds into the match and yells at us for having those two characters. Then he says if they don't care he won't either and goes from dps to triple tank even though we only had ana as the healer. (Keep in mind this ana was pretty decent, and Sym actually saved us a couple times with her teleporters.)

So second round comes, he picks Widowmaker, and then runs around near the spawn for the entire match while calling out every other teammates flaws and faults before ending with "I feel bad for the people who wanted to try and win, it's too bad our team sucks." And then we lost.

This is crazy. How the fuck are Ana and Symm bad on that map? Like what. They are both completely viable. This person has issues.

Kasei

Oh shitposting is ok, just don't shitpost while quoting someone making valid points about the problems.

All of his abilities are stupid, his mine does massive aoe damage and is easy to hit and doesn't damage you, his traps force people into bullshit kills where they are hidden and can't be seen, or forces people into looking at the ground constantly which isn't fun for anyone. On top of that he has martydom, an ability everyone but the owner hates and is literally the cause of cancer in cod games since cod 4.

Let's not pretend that describing an ability in Overwatch as 'literally the cause of cancer' gives you the right to dictate the tone of someone else's response, or is anywhere close to resembling a valid point of criticism...

xaosslug

Junkrat is a character that takes advantage of your (the enemy's) hubris, plain and simple. Get over your bitter tears from his 'cheap kills' and learn to deal, because he ain't going anywhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i really don't get the mentality of a lot of people that play this game, tbh.

>__>

I-hate-u

At least Junkrat can consistently output damage unlike a Hanzo who has trouble aiming, even if it does charge Zarya 0-100 real quick.

cyborg009

Banned
Is junkrat still the new hanzo?

Are there any new rewards for comp season 3? Might stick to quick play otherwise. Quick matches and pretty much the same stupidity if you go 100% random with no party. At least thats what I gathered from PTR.

Me: Junkrat can you do a hit scan character for pharah?

Junkrat player: But I have gold damage!!!

xaosslug

Man there are some butthurt people over Junkrat in here.

i'd bet you dollars to donuts the main reason why so many peeps hate Junkrat is on account they killed him, but ended up RIP because they weren't careful of his total mayhem, or succumbed to his trap + mine combo (constantly). xD

Fancolors

i'd bet you dollars to donuts the main reason why so many peeps hate Junkrat is on account they killed him, but ended up RIP because they weren't careful of his total mayhem, or succumbed to his trap + mine combo (constantly). xD

Eh, most complains I read about Junk here and elsewhere are because of the 'i'm helping got gold damage' people.

DevilDog

Let's not pretend that describing an ability in Overwatch as 'literally the cause of cancer' gives you the right to dictate the tone of someone else's response, or is anywhere close to resembling a valid point of criticism...

Right, martydom is an ability that even call of duty devs realized was stupid, I didn't think that I would have to explain that one since it's such an old and tired debate, so I jumped over it.

Going from discussing a character and making fun of him, to making fun of the overwatch community and how some people complain irrationally over characters, is frankly,annoying to people who want to discuss the character.
Here, have a taste of that: (ecks dee)

HotS 15 game challenge is up.

3jE5UAO.png

Eh, the matyrdom thing isn't even that bothersome to me. The only issue i have with junkrat is that 90% of the junkrats i play with are terrible and everybody and their mother wants to play junkrat.

My problem is I can be gold with damage, objective time, and elims as Junkrat and our piece of shit useless support because "he doesn't play support" will demand to swap with me and then goes Roadhog while I go Zenn for round two since we lost the first one.

We win the round, I still have the golds and now silvers in every other category.

"Wow what a change now that I'm playing Roadhog..."

It's so hard to be tranquil, fam.

Yes I know medals don't equate to winning, I'm just saying on KotH if I'm doing my best as Junkrat and outperforming our DPS, maybe I shouldn't have to switch and watch us lose because our new Roadhog is just an ult sponge. I just really hate people who can't play multiple characters and roles and can't adapt to team lineups yet complain about others not performing well.

I'll be home around 6 CST if anyone wants to do the Hots challenge with me :)

Can't remember my bn ID since I play on PS4, I'll look it up when I get home. I do have my PSN tied to my bn account though, so I am good to go!

Eh, most complains I read about Junk here and elsewhere are because of the 'i'm helping got gold damage' people.

Those complaints I get. Gold damage is a useless medal, especially if you have low eliminations/low final blows. And Junkrat is a huge feeder if you get only damage, which bad Junkrat players do allllllll the time.

But that's because they're playing him poorly - blame the player not the character.

Right, martydom is an ability that even call of duty devs realized was stupid, I didn't think that I would have to explain that one since it's such an old and tired debate, so I jumped over it.

Going from discussing a character and making fun of him, to making fun of the overwatch community and how some people complain irrationally over characters, is frankly,annoying to people who want to discuss the character.

When your "discussion" starts with "all his abilities are stupid" it's hard to have a "discussion."

As for martyrdom being stupid - sure, if every player can have it and you don't know if it's coming or not. But if you're playing against a Junkrat - he's gonna have martyrdom. There's no guessing or worrying. Just like you know Zarya has bubbles or Mei can freeze herself or Reaper can ghost. If you kill a Junkrat, stand back for a second. Not that hard.

This is crazy. How the fuck are Ana and Symm bad on that map? Like what. They are both completely viable. This person has issues.

Should've shown him these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrgYXoK7l8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L5n-h2WRAQ

fhqwhgads

1 game away from getting to Diamond, proceed to lose 150 points and never win a single match all day.
I cannot wait for the Zarya nerf and the Ultimate cost increase. It's so infuriating that every team revolves around "Does Zarya have her ultimate" along with how characters like Genji and Mei ALWAYS have their ultimates no matter what.
Still no Rein nerf or proper Lucio nerf though, fingers crossed.

Dreavus

I really like those Skyline videos about OW team communication.

• At the very least join the team channel so you can hear what other people are saying. Otherwise, it's fine to just call out a few things per match as you see fit.
  • Never speak in past tense, since it just distracts your team with something that they can't do anything about (eg. "Pharah killed me!" doesn't really help anyone, doesn't offer a solution, and at worst may divert your team away from whatever they were doing).
  • Always having some kind of plan can help a lot even if it's simple "go right" on a KOTH map or a "group up" after a bad fight.
  • When playing an off role warn your team that your winrate with that hero/role isn't very good, and someone might offer to switch. Mentioning winrate appears more objective than just saying "I don't like this hero".
  • Demanding people switch heroes just makes them dig in most of the time, because people don't often pick a hero they don't think will help the team win (unless deliberately trolling or throwing).
Nothing you can do about a truly insufferable team but this kind of stuff can mitigate the damage. You don't have to be a paragon of charisma lifting your team from the ashes of defeat (although when you get skilled players like that it does help a lot). Personally I've been trying to jump into the voice channel more just to say hi and joke around a bit pre-match, then call a couple things out during the match "eg. Mercy is low" without going overboard. Seems to be working out in solo/duo queue.

Fancolors

Those complaints I get. Gold damage is a useless medal, especially if you have low eliminations/low final blows. And Junkrat is a huge feeder if you get only damage, which bad Junkrat players do allllllll the time.

But that's because they're playing him poorly - blame the player not the character.

But that's a problem of the game's design if it is so common. The game awards people with positive feedback for basic actions such as damage with none of the negatives associated to it, Junkrat's kit only incentivizes the gold medal behavior.

I don't think he should be changed because of this, but that is a pretty big design flaw on Overwatch.

Except his passive. 90% of times I'm only feeding the enemy healers or Zarya energy. And I can't do nothing to stop this.

DevilDog

So is it true that they're screwing with the levelling system to prevent easy crates for holiday events from level 1-20? If so, scummy.
Yeah but you will be able to get more lootboxes playing the arcade, which is coming in the next patch, so that might even things out?

When your "discussion" starts with "all his abilities are stupid" it's hard to have a "discussion."

As for martyrdom being stupid - sure, if every player can have it and you don't know if it's coming or not. But if you're playing against a Junkrat - he's gonna have martyrdom. There's no guessing or worrying. Just like you know Zarya has bubbles or Mei can freeze herself or Reaper can ghost. If you kill a Junkrat, stand back for a second. Not that hard.
Please, I fully stated what I don't like about his mine, what the problem with the traps is, and people before me explained pretty well what they issue with m1 is.

So why have the martydom then, you said it yourself, it's so easy to dodge it.

His Spike damage is honestly not that good for how inconsistent his damage is. 120 for slow as shit projectiles with an arc doesn't beat out 140 from a mccree headshot, 150 from a mei icicle, or even the same damage from pharah because they can just pump out more consistent damage, and if you say that you can lay down more consistent damage as him than those characters, it probably means you're bad with them (which is fine). Like, i don't see a junkrat ever winning 1v1 against those characters because his projectiles are slow as shit in their range.

Which also brings up his issue of finishing people.

I wasn't going the comparison route. I rarely play Junkrat at all and flat out don't in competitive.

When I'm talking about his nice spike damage, it's in the exact role that I described. In someone's face, likely taking some splash or close to it because the game has this weird grace area with his splashback, forcing them to back off and into your trap.

But bringing up McCree... here's how it feels on console: I know what I'm getting with a Junkrat player on my team. Even mediocre ones can help disrupt a pesky Tracer's free run of the map. With a McCree, who the fuck knows. It's either an ace, who is typically an ace at a few other characters, or it's an actual dumpster with hands and most of a controller with an old banana peel on it and a golden gun it bought for some reason while still trying to play him like the FtH machine he used to be while dying repeatedly.

Mei is just so gameplay disruptive that I'm starting to look at her as a core character. We'll see what ult changes make it to live.

So is it true that they're screwing with the levelling system to prevent easy crates for holiday events from level 1-20? If so, scummy.

They are changing the experience required to level, but it's not for this reason. They didn't like that people would stop playing if they thought an event was near when they were on the cusp of prestiging and that people who just passed 20 when an event started felt like they were missing out. I don't think it's scummy, because now we'll have bonus boxes from the arcade, plus leveling outside of the 1-20 range won't take as much as it used to, so boxes will come faster in general.

xaosslug

why do peeps think if these supposed 'bad Junkrat' players switch to another character they would be any more helpful/better? xD

Rize_21

I'll be up around 10 Gmt+1 if anyone want to group for HoTS, I'm absolutely terrible even against AI but at least I have Tracer.

Dreavus

i have 2 battle.net friends and neither of them are on. T__T

You might be able to get some random people in the HotS channels and add them as friends temporarily. I think it joins you to "General" by default. There might be a Co-op channel you can join too to find people.

There is also a "looking for party" option but it's not very specific. You'd wanna tell people you are looking for AI games (if just doing it for OW stuff).

You need to play with a friend but there's nothing that says you can't add people to your friends list the moment you party up with them.

Top Bottom