• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I used to care. But then I stopped caring, So my character selection process these days is like this:

- Open a bottle of vodka
- Pick Zenyatta
- Does my team lack a tank? Take a shot.
- Does my team lack a second healer? Take a shot.
- Does my team lack an attacker? Take a shot.
- Is my team 5 Hanzos? Empty the bottle.

I never cared. I play who I want. You'll do better and also have more fun. If they're mad, whatever. Come to my house and fight me in person or shut up.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I used to care. But then I stopped caring, So my character selection process these days is like this:

- Open a bottle of vodka
- Pick Zenyatta

#RIP Duckroll
No waifu no laifu confirm'd

Oh and when i have to pick the player cards at the end of the match, you can bet your lunch money that i always upvote Mercy and Pharah players.

I never cared. I play who I want. You'll do better and also have more fun. If they're mad, whatever. Come to my house and fight me in person or shut up.
Kinda sounds like you main Reaper ;)

someone at a higher skill that had a run of bad luck vs. someone at a lower skill level... y'all think that's fair? LOL

A drop of 700 SR is a run of bad luck? Hope I don't go through that ever, 200SR was already bad enough.

Did you check his stats? Maybe he was placed way higher than he should have. Or maybe he just plays healer :(

Skii

My selection process is:

- Pick Reaper knowing I can carry DPS all by myself
- No one picks a tank so I switch to Zarya hoping that the one person who still hasn't picked will be sensible enough not to go for a 5th DPS character.
- Person chooses attack Bastion so I switch to Zenyatta and hope for the best.
- Lose game because team can't kill anyone.
- Kills self.

LiK

#RIP Duckroll
No waifu no laifu confirm'd

Oh and when i have to pick the player cards at the end of the match, you can bet your lunch money that i always upvote Mercy and Pharah players.

Kinda sounds like you main Reaper ;)

He's actually one of my least played lol

- Open a bottle of vodka
- Pick Zenyatta

I fuck with this.

Mantrox

- Open a bottle of vodka
- Pick Zenyatta

Charlie Sheen only plays Quick Play, confirmed!

Just had a white knuckle comp match where we attacked first on King's Row and didn't quite make it to the final point. On defense the enemy team got the first point with like 30 seconds left and then steamrolled us through the second point, so I switched from Lucio to Zen and fucking saved the day with two counter Transcendences, once against a Pharah ult in overtime which would have likely wiped our team.

Got 30 SR and am now sitting at 2498. FML.

Also on defense we had a guy auto lock Bastion, and the entire rest of the team proceeded to crowd around him and spam thanks over and over until the match started. Good times.

Oh man these placement matches are so frustrating I just had my career best game as D.va going 42-6 with gold medals for objective time and kills, which I also got career best on, but my team of randoms did so bad we lost...... ��������

Prelude.

someone at a higher skill that had a run of bad luck vs. someone at a lower skill level... y'all think that's fair? LOL
He might have been lucky/carried and placed higher in his placements. The season high tier is like a "good job, you got there" pat in the back but it doesn't actually mean anything. While he kept going down he was playing against people of lower and lower SR, and he kept losing. 3000 to 2300 is 60 to 46 in the S1 rank.

LiK

Oh man these placement matches are so frustrating I just had my career best game as D.va going 42-6 with gold medals for objective time and kills, which I also got career best on, but my team of randoms did so bad we lost...... ��������

win or lose doesn't matter much in placements. just play well.

xaosslug

A drop of 700 SR is a run of bad luck? Hope I don't go through that ever, 200SR was already bad enough.

Did you check his stats? Maybe he was placed way higher than he should have. Or maybe he just plays healer :(

nah, I didn't check their stats. :(

it was a KotH match, diamond peep ran Genji and kept murdering my team, constantly popping dragon blade, and the gold peep (on my team) was a (ehhh...) D.Va main (I switched off to see if that would help any... it did not. T__T)

speaking from experience you can def. fall into pit, especially if you group up with peeps that are not very skilled but you don't want to hurt their feelings so you keep accepting their invites... LOL But even saying that I've had bouts of good and bad luck in SoloQ, and a lot of it depends on the time of day when I play. Like, I've decided from now on never to SoloQ in the afternoon, because it's a damn mess. >_<

xaosslug

He might have been lucky/carried and placed higher in his placements. The season high tier is like a "good job, you got there" pat in the back but it doesn't actually mean anything. While he kept going down he was playing against people of lower and lower SR, and he kept losing. 3000 to 2300 is 60 to 46 in the S1 rank.

so, basically what you are saying is Blizzard's system is fucked? Because if a guy that belongs in high gold can place diamond on accident, well shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. xD

People throwing games on purpose or waiting til after a minute to quit because someone else picked their main.

This has got to the absolute worst community I have ever seen. Ragers, bawl babies, trolls, quitters...the list goes on.

I've taken sooo many losses the last 2 weeks from quitters and people just sitting in spawn.

I'm now in the bowels of the 1800s...feels bad man.

Danj

so, basically what you are saying is Blizzard's system is fucked? Because if a guy that belongs in high gold can place diamond on accident, well shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. xD

Yeah this is what I have been saying as well, I placed in gold but people are saying that my current 1400s rank is where I should be. Blizzard needs to adjust their system so it doesn't place people higher than they should be, so they actually have a chance to advance from where they started instead of just going down all the time.

I usually don't make my hero selection until I'm the last or second to last pick. But lately I just insta lock DPS.

-insta lock DPS
-wait for team picks
-Do we have 1 tank that is not Rein? Pick tank
-do we have one healer? Pick healer

That's usually how I go. I keep it simple. I also won't pick a hitscan DPS if we already have one, but I mostly play projectile DPS anyways. Genji, Hanzo, and Pharah are all that a man needs.

People throwing games on purpose or waiting til after a minute to quit because someone else picked their main.

This has got to the absolute worst community I have ever seen. Ragers, bawl babies, trolls, quitters...the list goes on.

I've taken sooo many losses the last 2 weeks from quitters and people just sitting in spawn.

I used to play Dota AND Dota 2.

There isn't one iota of toxicity that can phase me these days. I've seen it all.

Blues1990

I usually don't make my hero selection until I'm the last or second to last pick. But lately I just insta lock DPS.

-insta lock DPS
-wait for team picks
-Do we have 1 tank that is not Rein? Pick tank
-do we have one healer? Pick healer

That's usually how I go. I keep it simple. I also won't pick a hitscan DPS if we already have one, but I mostly play projectile DPS anyways. Genji, Hanzo, and Pharah are all that a man needs.

The sad thing, is that all of my comp games have people almost instantly locking in characters they want to play. That is, with the sole exception of Support Heroes, so I feel obligated to play Lucio or Zenyatta. I want to play Reinhardt, Zarya, or Mei, god damn it!

The sad thing, is that all of my comp games have people almost instantly locking in characters they want to play. That is, with the sole exception of Support Heroes, so I feel obligated to play Lucio or Zenyatta. I want to play Reinhardt, Zarya, or Mei, god damn it!
I mean, like I said, I'll insta lock DPS, but I'll switch if it's needed. I ain't one of those people who stick with it the whole time no matter what.

Although I kinda switch between locking DPS or Ana.

meshwork

In all fairness, what do you expect to happen if you have (as an example) a silver-level player just run Mercy for 10 placement matches while pocketing a master-level DPS player? That player is gonna get carried to diamond with no problems whatsoever, and there isn't really anything Blizzard can do about it. The player will, however, drop down to their true rank if they continue playing without getting carried. What you are seeing is the result of the rank system fixing itself after the player got placed too high based on lucky teammates or getting carried. I don't see the problem.

win or lose doesn't matter much in placements. just play well.

Wait, if it's like this for placement...why not for competitive? Would that be a better alternative to the way it is now?

Say you play great, but you lose the game. You gain some SR. Play like shit and get carried by teammates? You lose some SR.

Blues1990

I mean, like I said, I'll insta lock DPS, but I'll switch if it's needed. I ain't one of those people who stick with it the whole time no matter what.

Although I kinda switch between locking DPS or Ana.

And I try to do the same, but unless if we have at least one healer, then I know our team won't go far in the match.

The worst is when they move just enough to not get kicked, but still do nothing. And sometimes they do it when we're winning! Unbelievable.

Watching Surefour last night and Mendo the night before has me worried about Ana.

"Surefour do you think the Ana meta encourages teamwork more than invidual play?"
'Not really, whoever has the better Ana wins'

"If you could remove one character from the game who would it be"
'Ana'

Mendo already said she was fucking broken.And watching that high level PC play it's honestly hard to disagree. Surefour was constantly complaining about her hit box (which did seem awkward as fuck) and Mendo plays her like a DPS and still dominates.

From my safe space of mid diamond on console I think she's perfectly balanced and still a situational rather than a must pick. But god damn those games last night, the Ana's do not miss, normal shots or sleep darts. And just the way the games look you get the feeling that this character is having WAY to much of an impact.

I don't think our favorite granny is long for this world. Which really sucks because I think she's perfect on console right now. But I don't think the game will still look like this a month or two from now. She's too much of a difference maker.

Prelude.

It's only 10 matches, it can't be that accurate. But no, maybe not gold but platinum.
7127c9c581z6xi8.png
Those two spikes are 2500 and 3000, so the system might be biased towards those SR in an attempt not to over/underestimate the placements score.

But anyway, let's say I'm bad at the game, but I play Mercy and I do my placements with highly skilled people so that we end up winning all the matches and I'm placed into Master. I, then, keep playing the game alone and I inevitably start falling down the ranks, it wouldn't be that fair that I keep getting matched with Masters if my SR is 1500, wouldn't it?

Yeah this is what I have been saying as well, I placed in gold but people are saying that my current 1400s rank is where I should be. Blizzard needs to adjust their system so it doesn't place people higher than they should be, so they actually have a chance to advance from where they started instead of just going down all the time.
No, you're in a literal shithole, if you solo queue in that rank the outcome is mostly out of your hands. You're lv200+, I'm sure you don't belong there just by game knowledge alone.

Moonkeis

I'm a guy who insta locks on support because I want to avoid all the mess.

I pretty much do as well, but then what happens is 4 DPS are insta locked, and a Roadhog as the only tank. I can already see how the match is going to play out at this point...we won't be able to push in (on Attack).

A minor nerf I would give to Ana would be to prevent heroes under the effect of the nano boost from building ultimate charge. So if you enter the nano boost at 77%, you cannot go above 77% until the nanoboost wears off. This would prevent a little bit of the snowball effect; right now, you can nanoboost a Reinhardt, and he'll almost certainly have ultimate during or at the end of the nanoboost, which just snowballs into greater and greater advantage.

It's not much, but I think it would help.

Honestly I think Ana is fine on console because of aiming and shit, but she seems to be too much of an influence in tourneys, so she might need to be toned down there.

^^^ no

Wait, if it's like this for placement...why not for competitive? Would that be a better alternative to the way it is now?

Say you play great, but you lose the game. You gain some SR. Play like shit and get carried by teammates? You lose some SR.

But how do you quantify playing "great"? Last night on Eichenwalde I had a game where I went 9-1 across both attack and defend as Zenyatta and only got one medal for 6,000 healing. However I was discording like crazy, kept our Widowmaker and Reinhardt alive constantly so we could hold the first choke point, kept an enemy Reaper at bay by discording him and making him run away every time he tried to flank, and had a key Transcendence where I protected our Reinhardt so he could kill the Bastion that was the centerpiece of the enemy's defense, which led to our win. Barely any of that shows up as quantifiable stats, though - so would I gain or lose SR in that scenario? It was a clear victory on my team's part and if I hadn't performed how I did as the team's only healer, they probably would have at least lost the first capture point.

I can see still getting positive SR if you go like 50-5 on KOTH but still lose, but the team's win/loss should definitely still count towards what you get as well.

Today I was playing on Nepal against a team of 6 Genjis, and I and some other person were the only ones sensible enough to pick Winston/Zarya. The other people stuck with their double Junkrat and their Hanzo of course. After we (barely) took that round, the enemy team started to play more seriously, which is when we got stomped. I still had gold damage at the end of round 3, even though I wasn't playing DPS heroes. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom