• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendrox

Yeeeeees. Please PTR let the Zarya and Dva changes come through. It's finally my time to shine every time \o/ and I was already killing it as Dva except for usual Zarya

I didn't even expect such a big Dva buff...would be fine with the movement speed alone.

Anne

I'm not saying the meta is going to change super heavily into that type deal, juat saying smaller plays can be much more influential and people can play around ults better.

It goes both ways. If a pick happens in isolation its less likely they'll have ults to back them up to do a push, so the down team can realistically fight if they're not severely down.

Overall the importance on ult-less plays and the ability to control economy better adds skill into the game. Right now there is too much variance.

Plesiades

The Battle.net client has other patch notes. There is some background optimization going on; that's why the patch is so big.

Changes for XP: 1-13 is the same; 14-100 is reduced; 100+ is 20K, no resets. The reason:
Blizzard Dev said:
Developer Comments: With the way our experience curve works right now, players can move pretty quickly through the first 23 levels of each promotional tier (1-23, 101-123, 201-223, etc). This is because when a player is promoted every 100 levels, the experience curve essentially resets. While this reset has worked pretty well so far, it's also encouraged some people to stop playing the game altogether once they're promoted-the goal of this being to save those first 23 levels specifically for seasonal events. To help address this, the experience needed for all post-promotion levels (i.e. any level after 100) is now a consistent 20k and will no longer reset. The total experience required to gain 100 levels after a promotion is roughly unchanged, but the total experience to earn the first 100 levels (before the first promotion) has been slightly reduced.

Jellie

That is the only way to win in that situation. Play around the Bastion or lose.

On a payload it can work since it's moving. On volskya it doesn't since he just kept getting slept or sniped. The enemy widow was laughing at how they won when she had 19% win rate on her widow.

LiK

The Battle.net client has other patch notes. There is some background optimization going on; that's why the patch is so big.

Changes for XP: 1-13 is the same; 14-100 is reduced; 100+ is 20K, no resets. The reason:

LOL, wow, didn't know they cared about that. Guess they really want you to buy the loot boxes, lol

Anne

Does the Speed boost removal from Ana's ult mean Rein might be chosen as a target less often?

Or would he still be #1 choice

It depends. It makes him a less desirable choice, but he still can't die while boosted. It does make most DPS a better choice now. I think most people will default to DPS boosts now, but Idk.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
General
Dealing damage to non-players (like like Torbjorn's turrets or Symmetra's teleporter), no longer charges ultimate abilities
Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes
Rest in RIP
Soldier: 76
Pulse Rifle
Bullet damage increased from 17 to 20
Maximum bullet spread Increased from 2.2 to 2.4
The spread makes the damage increase not so great. Stop this spread nonsense, make Soldier great again.
Ana
Nano Boost
No longer increases move speed
Ahahahahahaha.
Mei
Blizzard
Ultimate cost has been increased by 15%
A-meizing.
Lúcio
Amp It Up
Healing-per-second has been decreased by 10%
Lame, but understandable.
Zarya
Particle Barrier
Power gained from barriers decreased by 20%
Projected Barrier
Power gained from barriers decreased by 20%
Kekeke
Torbjörn
Scrap is now automatically generated over time
The amount of scrap collected from a fallen enemy has been decreased by 40%
Forge Hammer
Swing speed increased by 25%
Damage decreased by 27%
Uhm ok.

Oh this is just bullshit.

Pooya

Are they going to retroactively give us levels and lootboxes now? I guess not...

also "these new lvl __ players are nothing like those old vanilla lvl __ players".

Anne

Pick based meta (it already kinda is one) means that mei's Wall is significantly more important than it is now.

Its important to note what I mean. Right now, picks can cause these massive explosions of ults that are somewhat unpredictable. They're insanely valuable right now for the reasons of it makes dumping ults safer and blah blah.

With less ults, if you want to commit to a straight up extended fight off a pick, it's less variable what will happen with those ults. It means that its more likely to lead to an honest fight where the value of that pick is much easier to quantify and play off of.

It's not a pick based meta as much as it is one where smaller plays can stack up to more stable advantages or fights because you're less tied to guessing on where the ults are going to wind up going.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The PTR buff is funny in the cosmic balance of Torbjorn because Torbjorn got a decent sized push

only to be met with an even bigger buff to his hard counter that's already better than him, DVa

Not sure about the Dva buff combined with the Zarya nerf. Dva is already a guaranteed pick on ps4...it's been 100+ comp matches since I haven't seen her picked, where I don't see Zarya nowhere near half as much.

I don't even play Zarya and I knew they were coming. RIP

Honestly the only thing I had issues with was how fast the ult charge was. They have changed that but by a way I did not want to happen.
She's my favorite character to play in the game and it's completely selfish of me but I never wanted her to get hit with a nerf solely because of that.

Not sure about the Dva buff combined with the Zarya nerf. Dva is already a guaranteed pick on ps4...it's been 100+ comp matches since I haven't seen her picked, where I don't see Zarya nowhere near half as much.
The only character who could cancel out her ult is now buffed while she was nerfed. They just need to have DM eat Zarya's primary fire and she's dead Jim.

Blizzard must have hated how Zarya was a natural counter to D.Va because all of these changes benefit D.Va the most. The damage nerf just means that Zarya will have to play more defensively, basically relegated to a back-line tank (instead of having the flexibility of being able to be a dangerous front-line with bubbles/100% charge).

I like the "but she's always picked" argument, Reinhardt is in every game, where the fuck are his nerfs? Why isn't Winston being buffed, he could use more help than D.Va.. Roadhog? Fuck that guy but at least fix his weird ass hook.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Its important to note what I mean. Right now, picks can cause these massive explosions of ults that are somewhat unpredictable. They're insanely valuable right now for the reasons of it makes dumping ults safer and blah blah.

With less ults, if you want to commit to a straight up extended fight off a pick, it's less variable what will happen with those ults. It means that its more likely to lead to an honest fight where the value of that pick is much easier to quantify and play off of.

It's not a pick based meta as much as it is one where smaller plays can stack up to more stable advantages or fights because you're less tied to guessing on where the ults are going to wind up going.

Oh yeah that's fair. So it's less about being purely about picks than lessening the variables when a pick happens, and weighing up the value of the pick before committing instead of everyone dumping their ults all at once?

Blizzard must have hated how Zarya was a natural counter to D.Va because all of these changes benefit D.Va the most. The damage nerf just means that Zarya will have to play more defensively, basically relegated to a back-line tank (instead of having the flexibility of being able to be a dangerous front-line with bubbles/100% charge).

I like the "but she's always picked" argument, Reinhardt is in every game, where the fuck are his nerfs? Why isn't Winston being buffed, he could use more help than D.Va.. Roadhog? Fuck that guy but at least fix his weird ass hook.

Zarya is picked more than reinhardt.

Every tank is picked more than Dva.

Lol no winston does not need more help.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Reinhardt is in every payload game

Zarya is in every game. On every mode. If 76 is a jack of all trades, Zarya is an ace of all trades

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this stuff. Zarya basically got a slap on the wrist, she's still going to rip people apart and super charge quickly playing her the exact same.

Dva has more health and moves faster but still has a massive face critbox and still will get shit on by Zarya due to her kit just countering her DM so hard.

The system wide ult charge changes are the biggest change to this by far but that would take a long time to really settle and see what happens.

Also I understand their reasoning for getting rid of prestige but lowering the xp per level by only 2k is paltry, sometimes that's not even a full qp game.

I'd rather have prestiging back. If people don't wanna play the game and hold off for seasonal events let them

Redmoon

With that EXP change, I better kick it into overtime. I'm at 89, no way am I gonna miss those fast beginning levels due to this change when its live. I wanna at least get to re-experience the joy of flying through 1-23 again.

Anne

Oh yeah that's fair. So it's less about being purely about picks than lessening the variables when a pick happens, and weighing up the value of the pick before committing instead of everyone dumping their ults all at once?

Zarya is picked more than reinhardt.

Every tank is picked more than Dva.

Lol no winston does not need more help.

Basically. The teams that are more consistent at making back to back plays like that are going to be more rewarded. There are less variables so they can control economy better, they can make a more informed decision, they can commit more without worrying about big ult counter engages every single fight.

Which goes both ways. One pick won't always turn into a Lucio ult into death. Losing a fight won't always mean you're always at an economic disadvantage until you can win a fight or do a junk rush. If your team is down and they can make a couple of small plays that recovers economy better, or makes a larger chance for a low ult fight to go their way.

I hope that paints a clearer picture of my prediction ;_; I'm on mobile so typing an essay would be hard.

Its not always single plays backed up by ults. It's about consistent small plays or making very high value plays back to back. The ability to make those small plays and decisions is way more valuable.

With that EXP change, I better kick it into overtime. I'm at 89, no way am I gonna miss those fast beginning levels due to this change when its live. I wanna at least get to re-experience the joy of flying through 1-23 again.
You and me both. I'm at 52 so it probably won't happen though because they seem pretty set on that change.

Jellie said:
Still not above zaryas koth usage though I think? Only increasing because of ana while zarya is there cos she fits everything.
Maybe I'd have to check again. I just meant Rein now has a more consistent pick rate in koth than in payload I think.

Antiwhippy

Also I feel like torb's changes are huge. With how ult rate is nerfed good luck taking points now if he can more easily snowball everybody having 75 armour all the time.

The only character who could cancel out her ult is now buffed while she was nerfed. They just need to have DM eat Zarya's primary fire and she's dead Jim.

Yeah, seems extreme.

Let Dva have her buff, I'm cool with that. Even tho I'm sick of seeing her in EVERY comp game I play. The reason I started picking Zarya was I tired of watching Dva wreck my team every single match.

Or let Zarya have her nerf, I'm cool with that. It's definitely not a...why not both, at least in my eyes.

Antiwhippy

Also before everyone panics, remember that blizzard is explicitly making PTR more about actual testing, so everything could change pretty drastically before making it to live.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Your mileage will always vary but I see Zarya in every game I'm in and I see her on every pro stream.

The only time I see Dva is usually in quick play.

Blues1990

When testing out Torbjorn and Lucio on the PTR, here are my thoughts:

Torbjorn:
I do love I can generate scrap, as too often, I would die on my hunt to find materials to craft armour packs for my team. In addition, it will add up LARGELY overtime instead of having to wait for teammates or foes to drop like flies. Turret build speed is pretty great, as I can get set up quickly and focus on other matters. Dealing damage to non-players (like like Torbjorn's turrets or Symmetra's teleporter) no longer charges ultimate abilities, which is probably the best buff this character could get, as it's one of the main reasons people bitch at Torb's.

All-in-all, I love these changes.

Lucio:
Lucio was in a perfect place, and quite honestly, is one of the more balanced heroes in Overwatch. That nerf was really uncesscessary, & I'd rather have buffs to the blatantly bad heroes until they're as good as the better characters who remain untouched. They took a step forward with the D.Va changes, but two steps back with the changes to Ana, Lucio, and general ults.

Yeah, seems extreme.

Let Dva have her buff, I'm cool with that. Even tho I'm sick of seeing her in EVERY comp game I play. The reason I started picking Zarya was I tired of watching Dva wreck my team every single match.

Or let Zarya have her nerf, I'm cool with that. It's definitely not a...why not both, at least in my eyes.
I mean as zarya I'm sure I'll still wreck d.va's on the sole fact that she can't eat the beam. I'm just worried of buffing the only character in the game who can completely negate her ult in the same patch where she gets nerfed. At least that's my thoughts as a Zarya player.

What Sr are you that you see d.va in every game though? In high gold ppeople have seemed to finally catch on that zarya is s-tier and I see her more than d.VA. on ps4 at least.

In qp though yeah I see her almost every game because everyone loves an Asian meta waifu in a mech.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I mean as zarya I'm sure I'll still wreck d.va's on the sole fact that she can't eat the beam. I'm just worried of buffing the only character in the game who can completely negate her ult in the same patch where she gets nerfed. At least that's my thoughts as a Zarya player.

What Sr are you that you see d.va in every game though? In high gold ppeople have seemed to finally catch on that zarya is s-tier and I see her more than d.VA. on ps4 at least.

In qp though yeah I see her almost every game because everyone loves an Asian meta waifu in a mech.

Dvas ult? Rein can shield, Mei can wall, Lucio can speedboost, individual abilities like Reaper's wraith get out of it...plus it's still super telegraphed already. You don't really need Zarya to counter it, you basically just punish Dva for being Dva even more and charge off of it.

Or do you mean Dva eating graviton? Zarya can kill her mech so easily she should basically just hold it until she's in her suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom