• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any bot matches or practice modes or anything to this game? Or is it strictly pvp? I want to try it but I'm not good at pvp to begin with and I feel like if I spent money on it now I'd just get a quick lesson in frustration.

Skii

Are there any bot matches or practice modes or anything to this game? Or is it strictly pvp? I want to try it but I'm not good at pvp to begin with and I feel like if I spent money on it now I'd just get a quick lesson in frustration.

Yeah there's a practice range with passive robots. You can also create custom matches with AI to practice maps before jumping in.

So, they basically don't want players to not sit on their promotion & get 20+ free loot boxes for events, along with their main source of income for Overwatch going bye-bye.

So dumb.

I think the devs' primary concern is when people stop playing entirely to avoid getting 'non-event' lootboxes before an event is expected to land. Then there are the players who feel 'screwed' because they aren't close to a prestige point when an event hits, and they don't get all the 'free' boxes compared to other players who just happened to have lucky timing on the prestige.

Danj

Is it just me or is there a correlation in Competitive between how long it takes for you to find a game and how shit the game is? Has anyone figured out if there's a time when it's best to hit Cancel Search and try again?

Azoor

Is it just me or is there a correlation in Competitive between how long it takes for you to find a game and how shit the game is? Has anyone figured out if there's a time when it's best to hit Cancel Search and try again?

No there isn't, I've had good games that I waited long for, many.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Reinhardt needs a 'perfect parry' where if you block a projectile at the very moment it's about to hit you, your shield shouldn't take damage. It's really fun doing jumping block parries to bouncing junkrat grenades or running up on someone and popping shield for a quick second because you correctly called when they'd shoot, then letting loose when they need to reload. Reinhardt mind games and fakeouts are my favorite thing in this game.

If Blizzard ever makes a title in the fighting game genre I hope he is a guest character.

Prelude.

I think after 3(ish) minutes the game just gives up on trying to find people with a similar rank and tries to pull people in evening out the average rank, so that you don't get excruciatingly long queue times.

The PTR proudly presents...
From the devs:

lmao, I'm getting fucked by this.
I'm at 64, so I'm too far from 100 to prestige before the event is over and gain some extra boxes (without dedicating some serious time into the game at least), but I'm also too close to 100 to benefit from the XP for the first 100 levels getting lowered as well.

Redmoon

lmao, I'm getting fucked by this.
I'm at 64, so I'm too far from 100 to prestige before the event is over and gain some extra boxes (without dedicating some serious time into the game at least), but I'm also too close to 100 to benefit from the XP for the first 100 levels getting lowered as well.

Its possible the ptr changes wont come to live till Season 2 ends (which I hear ends November 17). So its possible you may make it if you can get 65~ levels(to reach lvl 130) in about 3 weeks (assuming they hold the changes till S2 ends)

IMO, it would make more sense to wait for the season to end and change all the heros and everything than to do it mid season with this many changes.

Its possible the ptr changes wont come to live till Season 2 ends (which I hear ends November 17). So its possible you may make it if you can get 65~ levels(to reach lvl 130) in about 3 weeks (assuming they hold the changes till S2 ends)

IMO, it would make more sense to wait for the season to end and change all the heros and everything than to do it mid season with this many changes.

Yeah but the Halloween event ends November 1. I don't care about generic lootboxes, I already have all the generic items I want (except maybe stuff for Sombra). :p
And I don't care about the level itself.

This is unbelievable, we win the first round in Lijang Tower, someone from the other team quits, we win the second round easily them someone from my team quits and the previous guy returns.

My teammate never comes back of course and we end up losing 2-3.

Just what the actual fuck is wrong with these people man. He/she better have a damm good reason for abandoning like that.

Redmoon

Yeah but the Halloween event ends November 1. I don't care about generic lootboxes, I already have all the generic items I want (except maybe stuff for Sombra). :p
I don't care about the level itself.

Oh right, forgot about the event :p

65ish levels in 8 days will depend on how much time you can put into the game. I'd wager it'd take 40+ hours just to reach the promotion from where your at. Then another, like 12+, for the first 23 levels. This isnt taking into account any 20% exp boost however.

Placement matches put me at Platinum. I've steadily lost 90% of my games since and dropped down to 1950. What the fuck. I honestly think it is because in placements I played who I was best at---Bastion. And crazily enough, hardly anyone complained. And I did well. And since I've been placed, every single game people bitch the moment I pick Bastion. So now I don't ever play the character I'm best with. I think it is time I mute all the chats and just play to have fun with the characters I like.

Placement matches put me at Platinum. I've steadily lost 90% of my games since and dropped down to 1950. What the fuck. I honestly think it is because in placements I played who I was best at---Bastion. And crazily enough, hardly anyone complained. And I did well. And since I've been placed, every single game people bitch the moment I pick Bastion. So now I don't ever play the character I'm best with. I think it is time I mute all the chats and just play to have fun with the characters I like.

It's often a better idea to play who you're best with rather than trying to play the meta, or going by the game's recommendations.

Oh right, forgot about the event :p

65ish levels in 8 days will depend on how much time you can put into the game. I'd wager it'd take 40+ hours just to reach the promotion from where your at. Then another, like 12+, for the first 23 levels. This isnt taking into account any 20% exp boost however.

Yeah I calculated I'd have to play to get 4-5 levels a day to reach 100. I calculated an average of about 2 hours of playing the game for one level, meaning I'd have to play between 8 and 10 hours a day. And that's not counting the first 23 levels.

Blues1990

With the exception of playing with close friends and people on NeoGAF, I generally follow this philosophy when flying solo in Competitive Mode. Of course, I won't be ignorant and will switch if the team doesn't have a specific hero to round things out. But I'm getting tired of people yelling at me if I pick Zenyatta or Lucio, all because they want a Mercy player to give them a free resurrection if they fuck up. (Not going to happen if those chumps are incapable of watching my back, as Mercy doesn't exactly have the greatest level of survivability.)

I think the devs' primary concern is when people stop playing entirely to avoid getting 'non-event' lootboxes before an event is expected to land. Then there are the players who feel 'screwed' because they aren't close to a prestige point when an event hits, and they don't get all the 'free' boxes compared to other players who just happened to have lucky timing on the prestige.

I get where you're coming from, but then there's also the fact that they probably don't want players to get free easy levels before level 20.

antitrop

This is unbelievable, we win the first round in Lijang Tower, someone from the other team quits, we win the second round easily them someone from my team quits and the previous guy returns.

My teammate never comes back of course and we end up losing 2-3.

Just what the actual fuck is wrong with these people man. He/she better have a damm good reason for abandoning like that.
Oh man, that's fucked up.

Skii

Just mute everyone and play Bastion. Try to learn a DPS, tank and healer in quick play when you can for season 3 but just stick with Bastion. It's more important to play with what you're good at even if your team composition isn't perfect. You just need to have 1 healer and 1 tank covered.

Moonkeis

OW is prob. the most fun a FPS has been for me in a long time in terms of hero variety/gameplay but the core of the system, which is its players and matchmaking truly make it the most frustrating experience I've had in online gaming. 20% of my matches are players who actually want to have a good time, use voice for basic call outs. It's the other 80% in comp that just brings out the frustration for me. I've never had a game where the norm is to "take a break" if you're losing but that seems to be what this game requires.

Rize_21

Hurray!

Made it in solo queue pc with Mercy mostly, and D.Va!
wCNxAEv.jpg
...well some people on the other team decided to troll with Torb/Widow/Symmetra on round 2 Ilios, feels good to be on the other side of the fence, especially when you are really close to be promoted.

antitrop

OW is prob. the most fun a FPS has been for me in a long time in terms of hero variety/gameplay but the core of the system, which is its players and matchmaking truly make it the most frustrating experience I've had in online gaming. 20% of my matches are players who actually want to have a good time, use voice for basic call outs. It's the other 80% in comp that just brings out the frustration for me. I've never had a game where the norm is to "take a break" if you're losing but that seems to be what this game requires.
The worst I've experienced in Overwatch doesn't even come close to the worst I've experienced in ranked League of Legends.

Everyone should be using m/kB though.

Then they will finally be able to shoot fucking Pharah out of the skies for a change.
No, they would still ignore her because the Soldier on the ground is a much bigger threat! (lol)
Holy shit, that's what I call a table turner.

I guess the Widow meta is still alive and well on consoles :p
:(

There was this Widow in a match and she was honestly awful. No one could do anything about it and she was chaining headshot to headshot, aiming in a way that is clearly not possible on a controller.

Water

The quickplay matchmaking is utter shit. Specifically I don't understand how you're supposed to be able to learn new characters if the matchmaking never adjusts to your skill level going down. I've played mostly Dva and Mei so far, and now that I'm trying to pick Widow, McCree, Roadhog etc., I'm just getting stats like 2 elims / 6 deaths per round nonstop. It's not fun, and you don't even really learn to play when you're crushed so hard that the feedback from "better" and "worse" play is the exact same.

cyborg009

Banned
I think this might be my first POTG as Hanzo.

You better be prepared to get harrassed into switching. I play Hanzo occasionally in comp and sometimes I don't want to switch otherwise I would never be able to play him because no one wants Hanzo on their team and one time I got called a "faggot" because I didn't switch even though we had won and I had 20K gold damage. Some people can be hero/meta Nazi's.

I never really complain about peoples picks unless were losing badly. Hell I've never complain when we had a freaking torb on attack.
Won that match too

the brawl trained me well for hanzo lol :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJOxqTmUKaY
Nice!

Lots of disconnects today, 3 matches in a row on ps4 where game got cancelled

Same. 3 games too. I'm grouped with a friend and he lost connection to servers twice, and could not return to the game. Makes playing competitive fucking horrible. We ended the first game at 4 vs 6 and got trounced.

rulerk1

Lost 5 QP matches in a row decided to go to Comp. hoping for less dumb teammates and backfilled foolishness.

First Comp match someone from the other team disconnects and then 2 of on our team disconnects

Second comp match some on our team DCs, then their team, and then our team again so it's the same situation as last. I should stop now shouldn't I?

Same. 3 games too. I'm grouped with a friend and he lost connection to servers twice, and could not return to the game. Makes playing competitive fucking horrible. We ended the first game at 4 vs 6 and got trounced.

Lots of disconnects today, 3 matches in a row on ps4 where game got cancelled

okay it's not just me then. Before the first comp matched I queued, I got disconnected at the select screen. So I thought it was me at first.

hesido

Is this the fucking leave-day? For the last 6 comp. matches. I've entered today, 3 of them had someone leave at the start. 3 of them left in the middle of first round. That's 80 SR points down the drain.

All matches I've entered for my night session had someone leave.

DAMN IT.

Edit.. Now its 7!

FCUCUCCCCUUUUK.

caesar

Banned
Reynad streamed his placement matches, hes fucking terrible but somehow hes plat. Wtf blizzard, he should definitely be in silver at most.

I hope next season they actually use the ranks.

ohkay

So why do people complain so much about Hanzo and Widow, but McCree has never really been questioned as a choice? It's not like he's that easy to play well

Is this the fucking leave-day? For the last 6 comp. matches. I've entered today, 3 of them had someone leave at the start. 3 of them left in the middle of first round. That's 80 SR points down the drain.

All matches I've entered for my night session had someone leave.

DAMN IT.

They should give frequent leavers a big red border around their name, and allow you to leave once from their game without penalty.

Reynad streamed his placement matches, hes fucking terrible but somehow hes plat. Wtf blizzard, he should definitely be in silver at most.

I hope next season they actually use the ranks.

It seems like nearly everyone placed in platinum or gold, and a lot of them dropped way down.

I think even the really good players were only able to place in Diamond at most.

Alavard

So why do people complain so much about Hanzo and Widow, but McCree has never really been questioned as a choice? It's not like he's that easy to play well

McCree is much more likely to contribute to capping an objective, since he's on the front line.

TrueBlue

Fuck me QP can be a right shitshow at times.

EDIT: Twice I've been stuck with a team who are just ugh. It was so bad we lost the first point on King's Row to 6 Widowmakers. The first match we just had two Mercys who were continuously healing each other and doing fuck all else.

I know it's only QP, but come on.

caesar

Banned

- More consistent damage and higher dps
- stun
- better ult
- plays very well with rein
- owns flankers

Jellie

Just tried the PS4 version since switching to PC.
Going from PS4 to PC I didn't notice much difference but the reverse shows the differences much more clearly. Everything felt so slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom