• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

was looking @ the patch notes again, and I don't really understand the Pharah nerf? Why remove the rocket knockback? I mean were peeps complaining about that? Does anyone even play Pharah on PC anymore? This seems absurd. LOL

Skii

It looks like this season ends on November 23rd and season 3 begins on December 1st. Only 1 week break between seasons from now on. I think that's best. You always want to have a competitive mode to play in. I think the last break was 3 weeks wasn't it?

Danj

It looks like this season ends on November 23rd and season 3 begins on December 1st. Only 1 week break between seasons from now on. I think that's best. You always want to have a competitive mode to play in. I think the last break was 3 weeks wasn't it?

Yeah because they needed to do a radical overhaul, but this time I think they've sorted most of the issues from before so it just needs tweaking a bit.

xCobalt

was looking @ the patch notes again, and I don't really understand the Pharah nerf? Why remove the rocket knockback? I mean were peeps complaining about that? Does anyone even play Pharah on PC anymore? This seems absurd. LOL

They didn't nerf the rocket knockback. They adjusted the explosion from the rocket. It means knockback will now only occur if you actually get hit by a rocket.

xaosslug

They didn't nerf the rocket knockback. They adjusted the explosion from the rocket. It means knockback will now only occur if you actually get hit by a rocket.

i personally think a good Pharah's annoying af in match, but you can't take something out of her kit that put her in the plus column when she's barely used as it is. Seems like a nerf to me? And probably something to set the stage for Sombra coming up, imo... the knockback was probably hindering Sombra play, somehow. >_>

Hard to say it's a nerf though. The damage is also higher at the explosion edges. So instead of knocking opponents around she's hitting harder.

Only time can say if the tweaks stick or get changed. PTR right now is a complete tossup of ideas

MUnited83

For you.
Being a aggressive Lucio is so good. Constantly degrouping people, pick off healers, make reinhardt that was holding a shield get the fuck away. It's so good. The enemy reinhardt started complaining in chat because i would be constantly pushing him off lol

Prelude.

It's Russian roulette. There are so many times where it can be a 3-0 sweep on attack, and then, awful picks on defense will force sudden death. You just never know.
That's pretty much solo queue in general. Yesterday I had some comp matches late at night (so I was getting matched mostly with russians) in the 2600-2800 range and it was bad.
First of all, this one actually surprised me because I never saw it happen so stubbornly, we were on Anubis defense and we had 2 tanks, junkrat, mei, pharah and me as a healer, and no one of the 3 dps wanted to go 2nd healer so they started arguing right from the beginning of the match until it turned into people stopping to type in the chat, so I stayed solo healer (Ana) on both defense and attack because no one ever switched, "I always play healer so I'm not going to this time" etc. We won, somehow, but it was awful, we held the second point because I pulled off some crowd control miracles on defense, and snowballed on attack, but there was really no point to make it that hard.

Another match on KotH, everyone was solo queueing except for two people on the opposite team, Ana and Reaper, and their beyblade was destroying us, so I tried to get the same on our team, because you can't really counter that in any other way, but no, "Nanoboosted Reaper isn't that good", so we lost the point every time she boosted him and gg.

xaosslug

also, instead of constantly messing w/ D.Va to make her "viable" why not just reduce the size of her hitbox? Even Bastion has a smaller hitbox!

Hard to say it's a nerf though. The damage is also higher at the explosion edges. So instead of knocking opponents around she's hitting harder.

Only time can say if the tweaks stick or get changed. PTR right now is a complete tossup of ideas

12% is nothing, tho. -__-

fhqwhgads

The weirdest thing I've noticed in Plat is how all the Diamond players I get matched with are just so utter shit. I've seen Gold players perform better than the Diamond players in my matches. How the hell do they even get to Diamond in the first place playing like that? Got lucky in placements?

antitrop

The weirdest thing I've noticed in Plat is how all the Diamond players I get matched with are just so utter shit. I've seen Gold players perform better than the Diamond players in my matches. How the hell do they even get to Diamond in the first place playing like that? Got lucky in placements?

Probably got group carried up past 3000 and then dropped back down to 2700 or whatever in soloqueue.

Blues1990

When it comes to the Hero-specific settings for the PC version, how do you set up each character? I have generally went with the default configurations, but I want to try some new things and make it more comfortable when playing the game. For example, I hear that people toggle the ally health bar for Zarya, so that they can know when to bubble a player that is low on health.

I sometimes wonder if this is why I was so determined to get Diamond rank
"look at some of these chucklefucks yet here I am being placed in Platinum"

I cut my teeth on that solo queue life, I was a diamond forged by PRESSURE.
All that said I imagine if a player got carried up to Diamond/ended up there luckily then they probably wont have any aspiration to go higher and thus wont try as hard to win since they've already reached a goal of sorts.

Fancolors

When it comes to the Hero-specific settings for the PC version, how do you set up each character? I have generally went with the default configurations, but I want to try some new things and make it more comfortable when playing the game. For example, I hear that people toggle the ally health bar for Zarya, so that they can know when to bubble a player that is low on health.
Dot cross hair for McCree and toggle zoom for both Ana and Widowmaker helped me with aiming.

I also like to make it gree for all heroes.

xaosslug

i think they should change Mercy's ult to where she can also self-revive. I think that would make peeps take care of Mercy more, out of fear she'll spend ult on herself if she dies. LOL

Clydefrog

Man, fhqwhgads,
You're just making yourself look worse, y'know?
I mean, everybody's just gonna feel sorry for ya.
I mean I do.

I'm at career high 2977 right now. Once (if) I hit 3000, I'm not gonna care anymore. I'll play whatever my teammates want me to and I'll just laugh my way down to 2000. 😂

KiraFA37

Any recommended youtube channels for some pro overwatch commentary? I'm talking like the gosu-gamers youtube channel, I'm watching them but they don't seem to cover all the different competitions going on.

mollipen

Is that mollipen's account?

HxqOYcY.png

Chance

Had a really good Zen match earlier on Eichenwalde of all places, out healed our Lucio, topped off the kills on attack while maintaining the lead on objective time, jack of all trades, master of EVERYTHING.
So close to coming away victorious with 4 golds on a win just so I could be truly smug as fuck.

lol, Calculated.

I actually got 4 golds with Zen the other day - everything but damage.

komaruR

is this ps4? blizz patched those grouping glitch, so those that did the glitch to go up ranks that they dont suppose to be are falling I guess. (I'm not sure if the grouping glitch work on pc or not)

Since 2 patch ago, there's an option to enable ally health bar for all heros I think. It's really useful and glad its not just on Zarya only now.

I'm going to try and dial down the salt posts in the future, but I have to get this one last thing off my chest.

Modern matchmaking logic is fucking retarded. Some idiot nerd got the idea that "fun" = 50% win rate and decided that if you win more than 50% of your games, that instead of putting you against more difficult opponents with more competent teammates, that they should force you to carry braindead idiots against 5 pack try hards. It's not just Overwatch, it's other games too. I have been playing multiplayer games online for like 13 years at this point and I have never been matched with teammates that frustrate me as much as the ones I get matched with in modern multiplayer games. It drives me absolutely insane. Games just put you in completely unwinnable matches because I guess your MMR gets too high? I don't really know. All I know is, I remember old games where I ranked up and faced people of similar skill with teammates of similar skill. Nowadays, I guess in the name of finding matches faster, I get teamed up with people who hold their controllers upside down and play with their feet against try hard wannabe pro players. Not fun.

I agree with you, instead of finding 12 (including yourself) players that are of equal skill, it will instead try to get the MMR numbers as even as possible. The issue is that people will pair with friends that not within their skill level (I'm guilty of this, and I pay the price for it by losing since I'm not a carry machine). There's too many factors in this game; aim percentage, hero efficiency, map efficiency, gametype efficiency etc etc. There's no way you can get all of that and make it a nice concrete number, the best the game does is guesstimate. Player synergy is something the that can't be calculated, and has a tremendous impact on the outcome. I've been paired up with good team mates before, and recognize their competence but have still lost, reason being is that we just didn't play well together. Maybe it's my fault though, they have had the prefer player option for some time now, and I never use it... Does anyone know if that makes any difference in getting paired up with people that you actually play good with?

xaosslug

was in a KotH match w/ a McCree that kept messaging me to go easy on 'em, because I kept DM + boosting into him when ever he would try to deadeye. xD

Danj

Eurogamer has details on Season 3 SR changes including that the initial SRs for Season 2 were incorrectly calculated for many users (which explains my situation).

In a nutshell, Skill Ratings are going to skew lower to begin with but your gains from winning games will be greater early on. Increasing always feels better than decreasing, after all, and I seem to have spent most of Season 2 trying to claw back my initial Skill Rating.

Here's principal designer Scott Mercer explaining it more betterer:

"When Season 2 started, we had WAY more players in Gold and Platinum than we initially intended, and way fewer in Bronze and Silver. This was the result of how we calculated your initial SR for Season 2. We tried to partially reset player SR at the start of Season 2, but the results were not as we expected. Instead, below-average players started Season 2 at a higher SR than they should have been given their performance in Season 1. This meant that as they played in Season 2, their SR would often drop to a lower value, which didn't feel great. It also meant that there was a much wider variation of skill in the Gold and Platinum tiers than we wanted. This is something we want to avoid in Season 3."

Which is pretty much exacly what I have experienced, so I'm glad they're fixing it.

After all blue and white for more than 15 boxes finally a good one:

I am happy. Only missing Witch Mercy from the legendary skins.

Took me like 15 boxes to get everything I wanted, then I had enough gold from dupes and playing to get Witch Mercy.

Play her for one comp round and defense would leave the point just to chase me down.

Witch booty too tempting lol.

I love people who pick a healer a the start, and when the game is going well, think they can just switch to a offensive char to just rack up a few kills, fucking up the whole team balance in the process.

Anne

I keep allied health on for all characters. Info is nice to have.

I-hate-u

I don't know how they can do it, but in game text chat needs to be a thing on console badly. Even if it's only limited to spawn room or pre-match setup.

Even if you lose out on the competitive points for being put in a tier above?

You're missing the point, you're supposed to progress some at the start/mid season until your skill rating evens out in the latter half of the season. Instead several people find themselves to start off ranked in a higher tier and never reaching their season high ever again. Those people find the game incredibly frustrating and the reason why you still find that even some Platinum/Diamond people who are perceived as shitty are actually just in the wrong tier.

Do you think they should make placement matches solo queue only?

I think it's too late for this, this would of been good for Season 1 or Season 2. However, now that Blizzard might have enough data from both seasons to HOPEFULLY properly set you to the skill rating placement this doesn't seem necessary.

Do you think they should make placement matches solo queue only?

Not sure about that, but I do think there should be a strictly solo queue where you can't be paired with any sort of grouping. And groups, where you can match up with any sort of group combos. Should never have six solos vs. a full group or several groups. It's dumb.

Got a PSN message from a Zarya player telling me "never play healer again" "ever" after losing defense on hollywood. Which struck as me as strange as I was zigzagging like a god damn yoyo healing people left and right as Mercy. And whenever we were pushing back I was power boosting said Zarya who, and this is not sour grapes, wasn't killing a single person.

Indeed, at the time I remember thinking to myself "dude, you've got to stop running away from me and dipping me in and out of the line of fire. At least bubble me if you're gonna throw me into the lions den."

Ah well, whatever, it just reminded me why I keep voice chat off and whybI should turn message notifications off too. People suck.

Jellie

You're missing the point, you're supposed to progress some at the start/mid season until your skill rating evens out in the latter half of the season. Instead several people find themselves to start off ranked in a higher tier and never reaching their season high ever again. Those people find the game incredibly frustrating and the reason why you still find that even some Platinum/Diamond people who are perceived as shitty are actually just in the wrong tier.

Yeah I know what the point is. I'm asking would you rather place platinum/diamond and fall to your true rank but gain extra CP since you were in a higher tier or would you rather place low and climb a bit but miss out on the extra CP.

Well, regarding SR. Blizzard pretty much says that the system bloated a lot of people's ranks.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749698219

Another area of Competitive Play we’re trying to improve for Season 2 is how we distribute everybody into their Skill Tiers (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc.) based on their SR. When Season 2 started, we had WAY more players in Gold and Platinum than we initially intended, and way fewer in Bronze and Silver. This was the result of how we calculated your initial SR for Season 2. We tried to partially reset player SR at the start of Season 2, but the results were not as we expected. Instead, below-average players started Season 2 at a higher SR than they should have been given their performance in Season 1. This meant that as they played in Season 2, their SR would often drop to a lower value, which didn’t feel great. It also meant that there was a much wider variation of skill in the Gold and Platinum tiers than we wanted. This is something we want to avoid in Season 3.

Yeah I know what the point is. I'm asking would you rather place platinum/diamond and fall to your true rank but gain extra CP since you were in a higher tier or would you rather place low and climb a bit but miss out on the extra CP.

I see, my bad, to answer your question... fuck the extra CP! Losing more than 200 points and barely climbing back into the same spot is the worst feeling in this game. What's the point of having a gold skin on a weapon when you're literally going nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom