• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played exactly one comp game last night. KOTH on Nepal.

1) We get a bunch of instalocking DPS. Then a couple switch to Zenyatta and Ana, so I decide I'll take Reinhardt since we need tanks. Of course, they all just zoom in and don't play together, so Reinhardt is wasted and I immediately switch to Winston. But then I still don't get any help, and they're all just walking in and getting slaughtered and I'm getting chased down and slaughtered too, so I switch to Reaper. I get one kill before the timer goes off and have gold elims with 1 kill. They win the map 100-0. Fuck my life.

2) I ask the team WTF we're going to do about this. One guy says "this is a throw; just do whatever you want." So literally everybody changes class and suddenly we have no healers. I switch off Reaper to Lucio as the doors open, then a Roadhog switches off to Reaper. We go in and get wrecked and lose the point "Well, fuck this" I think, and switch to Pharah. We're at zero healers; but I boop a couple off the side, take down their Reinhardt, suddenly we have the point and I'm at gold elims again. We take down the map 100-35 with zero healers.

3) I express amusement that this is working with no healers. McCree switches to Zenyatta. After the first push I switch off of Pharah and onto Roadhog because their McCree has had enough of my shit. We win the third map at 100-65.

4) I don't remember too much about this point other than it was a blur; a constant bloodbath on the point. They end up with the point at 99-88, but we're contesting and it's in overtime; then they get a clutch Blizzard to seal the deal and we're going to a fifth round (still with only a Zenyatta as the solo healer).

5) Again, still a solo Zenyatta. No, I'm not supporting these guys - when I tried to play support tank or actual supports, they just died. I switch to Mei because we don't have one and I'm getting less effective with Roadhog as the map goes on (Reaper and Ana are hunting me hard). Again, constant bloodbath on the point. Our D.Va clutches out the final moments of the map and we take it 100-99.

I finish with five silvers and count myself lucky that we came out on top in that shitshow. There was no strategy and no semblance of organization. When it became clear that nobody was interested in working together, we threw team comp out the window and said "fuck it" and relied on everybody doing their own thing. And somehow it worked?

Chance

1) We get a bunch of instalocking DPS. Then a couple switch to Zenyatta and Ana, so I decide I'll take Reinhardt since we need tanks. Of course, they all just zoom in and don't play together, so Reinhardt is wasted and I immediately switch to Winston. But then I still don't get any help, and they're all just walking in and getting slaughtered and I'm getting chased down and slaughtered too, so I switch to Reaper. I get one kill before the timer goes off and have gold elims with 1 kill. They win the map 100-0. Fuck my life.

2) I ask the team WTF we're going to do about this. One guy says "this is a throw; just do whatever you want." So literally everybody changes class and suddenly we have no healers. I switch off Reaper to Lucio as the doors open, then a Roadhog switches off to Reaper. We go in and get wrecked and lose the point "Well, fuck this" I think, and switch to Pharah. We're at zero healers; but I boop a couple off the side, take down their Reinhardt, suddenly we have the point and I'm at gold elims again. We take down the map 100-35 with zero healers.

3) I express amusement that this is working with no healers. McCree switches to Zenyatta. After the first push I switch off of Pharah and onto Roadhog because their McCree has had enough of my shit. We win the third map at 100-65.

4) I don't remember too much about this point other than it was a blur; a constant bloodbath on the point. They end up with the point at 99-88, but we're contesting and it's in overtime; then they get a clutch Blizzard to seal the deal and we're going to a fifth round (still with only a Zenyatta as the solo healer).

5) Again, still a solo Zenyatta. No, I'm not supporting these guys - when I tried to play support tank or actual supports, they just died. I switch to Mei because we don't have one and I'm getting less effective with Roadhog as the map goes on (Reaper and Ana are hunting me hard). Again, constant bloodbath on the point. Our D.Va clutches out the final moments of the map and we take it 100-99.

I finish with five silvers and count myself lucky that we came out on top in that shitshow. There was no strategy and no semblance of organization. When it became clear that nobody was interested in working together, we threw team comp out the window and said "fuck it" and relied on everybody doing their own thing. And somehow it worked?

I kind of love those games. Epic comebacks where people just ignore comp, pick their best hero and go crazy.

DevilDog

Hopping through time has some seriously freaky potential consequences.
I loved this game but damn episode V was a rushed mess.

Ah okay I didn't know that. Guess jumping is for Genji only lol. Spamming crouch is quite hard. I spam A & D a lot but I'll need to add crouching to my game.

Jump when using ana/widow, and huge tanks. Widow pulls her legs up and makes herself a smaller target, ana is just weird and tanks will still get hit but will avoid some headshot damage. Except zarya.

As for AD movemennt there is a ton of depth to it on PC.

cyborg009

Banned

I lost to a torb and symmetra on KOTH on the same map. the meta doesn't mean a damn thing when your not in top 500.

I lost to a torb and symmetra on KOTH on the same map. the meta doesn't mean a damn thing when your not in top 500.

Pretty much, I fight back whenever someone yells at someone for picking bastion or torb or even widowmaker. 99% of us aren't good enough to the point where meta comp matters worth a damn. You can win without healers, you can win with 3 tanks, the actual communication, teamwork, and counters are more important

Pretty much, I fight back whenever someone yells at someone for picking bastion or torb or even widowmaker. 99% of us aren't good enough to the point where meta comp matters worth a damn. You can win without healers, you can win with 3 tanks, the actual communication, teamwork, and counters are more important
Uh, I mean I guess. I really can't think of a tier of players where having a healer wouldn't be extremely fucking beneficial (duh?)

Anne

Ah okay I didn't know that. Guess jumping is for Genji only lol. Spamming crouch is quite hard. I spam A & D a lot but I'll need to add crouching to my game.

It sounds dumb, but if you start just hammering ADADADADADADADADADDADADADAAADADADAD with a couple of crouches in there you might as well have a pixel sized hurtbox. I haven't played a game with strafe like this in a while lol

I played a Tracer once that I think had some sort of crouch macro button. She would just go into this spasming crouch every so often that made her impossible to hit.

One of the absolute worst things I've encountered playing with randoms is their inability to try. If they feel out played or outmatched they immediately will pick terrible characters and throw the match. I don't know if this is a certain generation of gamers who don't get their way they whine and give up, but it's pretty shitty behavior. I have had some great games where people switch the team comp up and we come back from a 0-2 to victory, but that's rare. It just seriously sucks to play with people who give up so early in a match.

Found a pretty funny but frustrating "toxic" person video (PS4 player). Some of the highlights include:

*Blaming everyone but himself
*Blaming the person NOT in his group
*Spamming Thanks/Hello when things aren't going his way
*Getting on team chat to flame the person not in the group(using f*gg*t and other derogatory remarks)
*Not so stealth brag about his Top 500 account
*Being toxic to his own team, to the point where I don't even know if they're going to play longer
*Refuses to choose anyone other than DPS (obviously no one can fill this role but him!!)
*Mentally beating himself and team because the games aren't 3-0 (games weren't even half way through!)
*Overall just being an asshole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s668KmXGy6s
https://youtu.be/s668KmXGy6s?t=1h18m59s (same clip but 1:18:59) - where this guy flames a poor guy who is not even level 100.

The best part? He's using a "smurf" account because he wanted to play with his friends and level them up (he can't on his "main" account because he's top 500 i.e. too good for his friends). For someone using a throwaway account and getting so mad at the game when he's playing placement matches with Plat/Gold players.. he's so fucking toxic it's not even funny. I could only *imagine* what he's like on his top 500 account. People like this are what's wrong with overwatch. ***I haven't watched the whole thing because it's long and actually infuriating how he could treat his friends like that***

My team won a Diamond level game on Eichenwalde last night with a comp of:

Torb
Symmetra
Junkrat
Reinhardt
Tracer (me)
Mercy

Worked so well(full hold) that the other team ran the same comp when it was their time to defend except they traded Torb for Zarya lol

I guess that's not super out there for Eichenwalde, but I honestly thought we had no chance of winning with that comp.

Won a game on King's Row last night where one of my friends trolled us with attack Symmetra too smh

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FkexiBo.png[/IMG]

Just hit 100 hours on Ana.

She's okay I guess.

I really like playing Ana. I'm just not that good as her. I used to do okay before people understood how to deal with her, but now that people understand how good she is I can't just play mediocre Ana and get good results.

Also I've only just barely hit 100 hours on the whole game holy shit dude.

xaosslug

i wish this kind of stuff worked on the teams I'm matched with but, alas! Constantly seem to be matched opposite teams running double healer + double tank (Zarya & Rein, most of the time), and I'm usually the only tank on my team w/ a lone Zen or Ana for the 'heals' (because they usually don't, and I'm on my own w/ the health packs). And these aren't even bad players, just from my captive audience perspective. On the rARE occasion that I'm on a team w/ double healer + extra tank, we do well! Shocking! >_>

the only times a situation where my team has booped composition over the edge to success has been when we were up against straight up bad players, and anything would have worked. LOL

Kito

If matchmaking could stop putting Mercy mains in my team, that would be great. Anything except Mercy. I'll take no heals and attack Torb and then some over fucking Mercy.

All my best comp games usually come in the middle of the day when I try to squeeze in one quick match on my lunch break. I wonder why that is?

I'm sitting at a season high of 2561 now - I'm almost to the point where I can play with Diamond GAFfers and they can carry me! Yayyyyyyy.

antitrop

I think the problem with a lot of soloqueue Mercies is that they just hide for Rez with an uncoordinated team that doesn't actually die in a big group. Hiding for rez only works if your team knows you're doing it, trusts you, and plays around it. You can't just randomly hide and then expect to get a 4x Rez in soloqueue, but plenty of Mercies try it.

When I solo with Mercy, I just top everyone off on health at all times and rez when I can.

eek5

I think the problem with a lot of soloqueue Mercies is that they just hide for Rez with an uncoordinated team that doesn't actually die in a big group. Hiding for rez only works if your team knows you're doing it, trusts you, and plays around it. You can't just randomly hide and then expect to get a 4x Rez in soloqueue, but plenty of Mercies try it.

When I solo with Mercy, I just top everyone off on health at all times and rez when I can.

Momentum rez seems much better than waiting for a 4-5man at least in low ranks. I usually just identify the best players and when they die I'll res them lol

Yeah the Mercy I played with yesterday made sure to keep everyone topped up, went for the quick 1-2 man Rez instead of holding ult for too long so they could charge it again, and kept themselves alive by moving around (although I would bubble Mercy if she got too far out or was getting flanked).

Mercy does good work, especially if the team doesn't focus her. If they focus her, kill them while they ignore your DPS.

xaosslug

If matchmaking could stop putting Mercy mains in my team, that would be great. Anything except Mercy. I'll take no heals and attack Torb and then some over fucking Mercy.

how and who do you play?

i mean if you're doing a bad job bodyguarding her or you jump into danger solo a lot and she either constantly dies or avoids you on account... what do you expect? >_>

HMD

KTa8gCw.jpg

WTF is this? Did I miss an additional episode or something?

AngryMoth

Playing Ana and our team is getting completely shut out on Anubis A, so I try switching to tracer with 30 seconds to go. Solo kill 4 members of the enemy team TWICE and my team still fails to cap the point...

cyborg009

Banned
I won a game on numbani with a attack torb with :30 secs left got steamrolled on defense and the enemy had 5:32 left to take the point. We some how got all 3 points with a freaking attack torb but on defense we were able to lock them down. So the match ended 6 to 5.

My team won a Diamond level game on Eichenwalde last night with a comp of:

Torb
Symmetra
Junkrat
Reinhardt
Tracer (me)
Mercy

Worked so well(full hold) that the other team ran the same comp when it was their time to defend except they traded Torb for Zarya lol

I guess that's not super out there for Eichenwalde, but I honestly thought we had no chance of winning with that comp.

Won a game on King's Row last night where one of my friends trolled us with attack Symmetra too smh
I would be more impress if it was on attack with that comp

I usually try to get 2-3 on my rez. I know once I got a 5 man before and that was amazing,

Geneijin

Solo queued and got a team of 5 in the opposing team. Nobody was grouped in my team :(

I wish I could adjust my matchmaking options. I'd take longer waits if I got what I want.

Chance

Momentum rez seems much better than waiting for a 4-5man at least in low ranks. I usually just identify the best players and when they die I'll res them lol

This. I actually got a PotG once for solo-rezzing the Mei who was putting in mad work defending Volskaya B, and killing the enemy Mei she'd frozen with her ult lol.

The right team mate back in the fight at the right moment can make all the difference. Course when a wipe happens I get the fuck behind a wall.

exYle

I'll be on campus all day until about 9:30 mountain time (that's 11:30 eastern) :/

I'm in MST as well, so if you're on afterwards I'll keep an eye out for you

Solo queued and got a team of 5 in the opposing team. Nobody was grouped in my team :(

I wish I could adjust my matchmaking options. I'd take longer waits if I got what I want.

You know what, I've never found this to be as much of a problem as everyone says it is. You are equally likely to get matched against/with a premade group that doesn't co-ordinate that well with each other as you are getting one that does. I've beaten plenty of large groups with randoms in solo queue.

Ramirez

My RH tip, if your RH pulls a Zarya into your team, burn her down for the love of God. It's amazing how many times I will pull one in, hit her, but everyone stops firing because she bubbles. Break the bubble and finish her! I also have no shame in popping Whole Hog to just despose of an overcharged Zarya as well.

I did 30k damage in 2 rounds on Volskaya as RH last night, felt good man.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My RH tip, if your RH pulls a Zarya into your team, burn her down for the love of God. It's amazing how many times I will pull one in, hit her, but everyone stops firing because she bubbles. Break the bubble and finish her! I also have no shame in popping Whole Hog to just despose of an overcharged Zarya as well.

Yuuuup. RH's hook is so good at just messing up enemy positions, if you see him hook a tank the team really should focus fire before they get away. I see too many people basically ignore what I'm doing which is a lot of times why I have to solo ult to kill a tank, but it's still worth in the end.

That zarya tip is universally good, too. If zarya is low on HP just shoot through her shield and kill her, it doesn't matter what her charge is at if she's dead, lol.

You will win 35% more of your games if you can convince your team to focus down a high charge Zarya. Fact.

That moment when Mercy gets +6 votes for having 6,000 heals, 15% of the team's damage. But the Widowmaker that has 50% of the elimination participation doesn't get a single vote.

matmanx1

What? A good Mercy is extremely useful. I'm not the best Mercy but I tend to do pretty well when playing as Mercy and my last game with her I helped my team to a full defensive hold with a couple of timely rezzes and ended up taking out the enemy Mercy with my Mercy's pistol.

Like anything else, player skill is a better indicator most of the time than hero pick.

Nimby

Banned
Mercy is kinda like the "Winston" of supports. It's hard to play her with a team that doesn't cooperate, or take advantage of her Guardian Angel.

'Tempo' res is proving to be much more valuable than the 4x/5x reses of old. Res'ing while half of your team is still up is more effective as the people you revived have a much stronger chance of not getting instantly eliminated again.

Again, a huge problem with Res is that it makes Mercy shy away from the ability she is supposed to do and it's hard to communicate with teammates to use her Res effectively. You could just stay out in the open and heal regardless, but you run the risk of getting eliminated and effectively losing your Res. If you try and hide, you aren't healing and just as you res two people, someone else dies.

Standard teammates don't really play around the benefits and weaknesses of Res, and I completely understand that. It goes against everything a competitive shooter has taught you, to just thrust yourselves at the enemy in hopes that they kill you so your Mercy can revive you and give the team a second chance. No standard player is going to understand that. If they are about to die they will do whatever it takes to stay alive.

antitrop

Mercy is kinda like the "Winston" of supports. It's hard to play her with a team that doesn't cooperate, or take advantage of her Guardian Angel.

'Tempo' res is proving to be much more valuable than the 4x/5x reses of old. Res'ing while half of your team is still up is more effective as the people you revived have a much stronger chance of not getting instantly eliminated again.

Again, a huge problem with Res is that it makes Mercy shy away from the ability she is supposed to do and it's hard to communicate with teammates to use her Res effectively. You could just stay out in the open and heal regardless, but you run the risk of getting eliminated and effectively losing your Res. If you try and hide, you aren't healing and just as you res two people, someone else dies.

Standard teammates don't really play around the benefits and weaknesses of Res, and I completely understand that. It goes against everything a competitive shooter has taught you, to just thrust yourselves at the enemy in hopes that they kill you so your Mercy can revive you and give the team a second chance. No standard player is going to understand that. If they are about to die they will do whatever it takes to stay alive.
Spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom