• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

It's pretty satisfying when you finally have a reticule and sensitivity you like for a hero you had some issues with before and after you tweaked them, they're fun to play well with.

Kakugo! Kakugo! Kakugo!

Anybody ever have one of those games (who am I kidding, everyone has had one like this) where there's one hero that is just wrecking your team and no one switches to a reasonable counter. Yesterday I had a game where my team was doing fairly well, but the enemy team had a Pharah that stayed alive for way way way too long. Someone just needs to switch to Solider 76 or something. But we don't get a soldier 76 until halfway thru point B instead of someone switching when it becomes apparent that this one specific hero is a problem. Bah. I don't remember if I was the only healer or not, so I could've possibly switched.

LiK

Usually if I see an enemy Pharah now and I die twice to them or I see my team struggling, I will switch to Soldier to counter her. Sucks when someone else is playing a Soldier and doing jackshit to take her out. Anyone who plays Soldier or McCree needs to have Pharah as a high priority target. They're not doing their job if they can't make her go away.

BigDug13

RIP my productivity this morning.

Just started watching but 2 things stick out:

- 3 tanks, even without 3 supports, for both teams is getting popular if an Ana is present.

- This dude just pronounced "nano" as "naw-no." He has an American accent. wtf

image.php

The first brawl even showcased where Ana's skills lie when the choices were the five tanks and Ana. Fat bodies with lots of hitpoints being healed by 75-150 hitpoints per shot and becoming near unkillable wrecking balls when boosted. And that was before they boosted her firing rate and magazine size.

Usually if I see an enemy Pharah now and I die twice to them or I see my team struggling, I will switch to Soldier to counter her. Sucks when someone else is playing a Soldier and doing jackshit to take her out. Anyone who plays Soldier or McCree needs to have Pharah as a high priority target. They're not doing their job if they can't make her go away.

True. With my new strategy when I play with randoms I now instapick Soldier all the time, and it's so easy to damage Pharah with small bursts from so far away that it's a shame if he goes to the hands of someone that just doesn't pay attention to the right targets or doesn't have good enough aim. Can't do shit with McCree though, my aim is a mess with him.

Sometimes I'll burn my ult as Soldier just to make sure a flying Pharah that's terrorizing people goes down. Sometimes just one kill ends up making all the difference.

Kysen

Ive gone from 23-- to near 19-- awful.

The game is fantastic but it's so frustrating to play an online multi-player game that no one talks or communicates in. What's the point?

You need to play well consistently that way it stacks the rating loss/gain in your favor. I have come to accept that half of my games will suck but the way I've kept climbing is due to the personal performance contribution. 20-25 on loss 30-40 on a win.

I placed 2.6k~ dropped to 2.4k then rose to 3k.

LiK

True. With my new strategy when I play with randoms I now instapick Soldier all the time, and it's so easy to damage Pharah with small bursts from so far away that it's a shame if he goes to the hands of someone that just doesn't pay attention to the right targets or doesn't have good enough aim. Can't do shit with McCree though, my aim is a mess with him.

Same, I haven't really tweaked McCree's sensitivity enough to play him well. Gonna need to experiment some more so I can have a backup to counter Pharah in case Soldier is picked.

Sometimes I'll burn my ult as Soldier just to make sure a flying Pharah that's terrorizing people goes down. Sometimes just one kill ends up making all the difference.

Yup, same. I do that too especially against a really good Pharah. Worth it.

DevilDog

Been working on my Genji as a more offensive hero to complement my Dva. I'm getting better at utilizing his movement, but still having a bit of trouble with his shuriken. Anyone have any tips on how to be more consistent with those?

PC if that affects your advice.

Right clik on close range, left click on long range.
Also learn to flick, a lot.

Right clik on close range, left click on long range.
Also learn to flick, a lot.

By flick, are you referring to moving my mouse over an enemy mid burst? Like start from their right, and move my aim over to their left during the burst? Or do you just mean constantly spinning around quickly?

Greddleok

You need to play well consistently that way it stacks the rating loss/gain in your favor. I have come to accept that half of my games will suck but the way I've kept climbing is due to the personal performance contribution. 20-25 on loss 30-40 on a win.

How does personal performance contribute?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There are definitely some hidden measurements on how well you performed in your character role. Like in some cases I've lost only like 10-15 SR.

By my estimates 20-25 should be your average loss/gain with an average performance.

That feeling when Anubis comes up in competitive and you immediately think "well I'm gonna lose this one!"
When I see the attack Rein on my team here I shed a single tear for the loss to come.

Don't underestimate Zenyattas as Winston. A headshot with a discord orb does 119 damage and he has 20 of those things to throw out before he has to reload.
My rule of thumb here is to ensure the Zenyatta is not looking even remotely in your general direction if you've got to take care of him, the moment you get a discord on your way in is the moment you just lost your life.

Man I haven't pulled out Winston in a while, I think I lost track of how to play him effectively with the arrival of season 2, any time I see a Reaper I get cold feet.

had some really good rein games tonight, the ones where your DPSers suck but you still power through and wreck people somehow.

lost all my games but i made them close at least. grouping made it bearable, if i'd been solo tonight i would have tilted.

I was 15 points from Platinum :(

I don't really ever get tilted but I was close last night. We really got some bottom of the barrel players. I had nearly 50 elims with Zen on Ilios, we were up with a 2-1 lead, and we still lost. I expected as much with that guy touting his amazing KOTH Bastion which got shut down in like 30 seconds. It also didn't help that our Soldier left the game in the beginning of the last round and never came back when we still had a chance to finish with a win.

Every time we played payload it felt like we got steam rolled on defense thanks to having a useless Symmetra, Junkrat, Mei, or Bastion in every single game. Then we would turn around and carry hard on attack only to fall short. For example, that Gibraltar and Dorado where we pushed all the way to the final point only to lose. Those could have been easy wins if we put up any kind of defense.

On Gibraltar, I had like 99-100% energy on Zarya nearly the entire round (thanks Junkrat!) with over 35 elims, gold damage, multiple wipes with Graviton, and only died twice. I think you had over 40 on Rein. I was just melting people and you were cleaning house but we still couldn't close out the match. Dorado was a similar situation. I think you finished that game with around 40 also. I watched that Mcree and Reaper duo die alone over and over again. They wouldn't communicate or listen. The worst thing is when we got them in the very next match we played and they basically lost us the game again. Super frustrating.

I decided to play one more last night and got a win but I hard carried on Rein with 40+ elims and gold damage on Hanamura. Still around 2400 which isn't bad considering the 4 loss streak.

A terrible night all around but it was good fun regardless. Despite the run of bad luck, it's always fun to play with competent people.

The first brawl even showcased where Ana's skills lie when the choices were the five tanks and Ana. Fat bodies with lots of hitpoints being healed by 75-150 hitpoints per shot and becoming near unkillable wrecking balls when boosted. And that was before they boosted her firing rate and magazine size.

Yeah. And yet people still love to groan when she's pulled out. Or someone will play her when the team comp is almost all DPS with Hanzo and/or Junkrat.

I expected as much with that guy touting his amazing KOTH Bastion which got shut down in like 30 seconds.

I actually did this the other day. Swapped to Bastion on the inside part of Nepal (Sanctum?) and set up. The other team trickled in one or two at a time, and I got 5 kills off the bat.

I quickly changed back off of him, though.

Well, whose fault is that really.

Haha, that's true. But lately, on console, I get more success out of leaning into the pain.

Trying to heal people who relentlessly put themselves in bad situations is basically like having 2 people down at any given time. Same goes for solo tanking when your team's DPS can't bring anyone down.

I'll switch to a character that has a chance at being effective for the win instead of trying to round out the comp. DPS when enemies aren't dying, mobile tank for point presence. I got no problem leaving the team without a healer or whatever in those situations.

A few random musing on making Symmetra more viable since I play her a lot.

-Her primary beam needs to be lengthened a little. Should be able to counter people like Genji without having to get right up in their face.
-Secondary fire either needs to have the charge time reduced or have the charge shot move a little faster. Not both, as either one would make the shot more useful than just area denial.
-Turrets need to go back to original damage (on console). Also give them less charge time (maybe 7 seconds instead of 10) so you can reliably get all 6 out before the match starts.
-Give her an extra 50 health in shields (for 250 total) so she can survive a little longer.

The problem is, no matter how you buff her she's never going to be viable in the pro scene. All the pro matches are always 6 v 6 fights where proper ult usage usually turns the tide. Symmetra's ult is pretty much used only for getting teammates back to the fight quickly, and so it's completely useless in pro engagements since the losing team is usually wiped out completely after each battle, so quick returns would only be useful for the winning team if they lose members, but even then it's not super helpful compared to an ult that has an active role in the battle.

The only way she becomes viable in pro scene is if her character is completely changed from the ground up and that's not gonna happen.

I was 15 points from Platinum :(

I don't really ever get tilted but I was close last night. We really got some bottom of the barrel players. I had nearly 50 elims with Zen on Ilios, we were up with a 2-1 lead, and we still lost. I expected as much with that guy touting his amazing KOTH Bastion which got shut down in like 30 seconds. It also didn't help that our Soldier left the game in the beginning of the last round and never came back when we still had a chance to finish with a win.

Every time we played payload it felt like we got steam rolled on defense thanks to having a useless Symmetra, Junkrat, Mei, or Bastion in every single game. Then we would turn around and carry hard on attack only to fall short. For example, that Gibraltar and Dorado where we pushed all the way to the final point only to lose. Those could have been easy wins if we put up any kind of defense.

On Gibraltar, I had like 99-100% energy on Zarya nearly the entire round (thanks Junkrat!) with over 35 elims, gold damage, multiple wipes with Graviton, and only died twice. I think you had over 40 on Rein. I was just melting people and you were cleaning house but we still couldn't close out the match. Dorado was a similar situation. I think you finished that game with around 40 also. I watched that Mcree and Reaper duo die alone over and over again. They wouldn't communicate or listen. The worst thing is when we got them in the very next match we played and they basically lost us the game again. Super frustrating.

I decided to play one more last night and got a win but I hard carried on Rein with 40+ elims and gold damage on Hanamura. Still around 2400 which isn't bad considering the 4 loss streak.

A terrible night all around but it was good fun regardless. Despite the run of bad luck, it's always fun to play with competent people.

It's hard for me to envision situations where you're racking up 40-50 elims in competitive games and not winning. Are you eliminating all but one guy who holds the point/payload until the team gets back, and that's happening multiple times? 'Cause when I feel I'm doing good and get gold/silver elims I'm usually getting 30-35 kills for the whole match and we usually end up winning.

So after hours of careful study I've come to the conclusion that Hanzo is total BS. They just need to remove him from the game and add another Genji to keep the Shimada parity.

matmanx1

Who is a Hanzo's natural predator?

Hanzo is tricky because of player skill and scatter arrow. A great Hanzo with scatter arrow up can hold off most players although Tanks will have the easiest time taking him out. Otherwise, a lot of characters have the tools to make Hanzo's life difficult including McRee, Reaper, Soldier, Tracer, Junkrat, Zenyatta, Symmetra and Genji.

My interview with Harry and Chips from EnVy went up ;w; I hope it turned out nice

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esport...ryhook-chipshajen-see-supports-in-your-future

Will read, thanks for the link.

Eichenwalde on comp is stressful. Probably the most frustrating map on attack.

I love it! Flankers are key. Pharah, D.Va, Genji, Tracer or anyone who can either move quickly or go vertical should quickly get to Point A and put pressure on the defense.

Define "play well consistently". It's fairly easy to be the best player on a poor team, at least in terms of raw numbers, but my findings are that I am still loosing more on a loss than I am gaining back on a win.

Some of that has to do with the average SR of the teams. Wins vs a weaker team will net you less SR gain while losses versus a weaker SR team will make you lose more points. That aspect is completely out of anyone's control and I guess over a long enough period of time it would average out. But right now, despite a 50% win percentage over the last week, I have lost SR despite being in the top 25% of stats for Zenyatta on the PC(according to Master Overwatch).

I'm not giving up on Overwatch or Comp play but I have decided that it is pretty useless to try and make rank gain a serious goal. If it happens, that's nice, but there are a lot of factors that are completely out of our control to the point where I think there's really no magic formula for SR gain. "Play well" IS the best advice but the fact of the matter is you can play well and still rank down over a given period and that's just the way it is unless Blizzard changes the way SR is calculated.

Fucking hate this game, cant win a single match of competitive. Went from shiet teir 2115 down to 1334.

Ouch, that sucks. Makes my 400 point drop look pretty minor.

Trying to decide if I want to give competitive one more shot or just stick to quick play. Finally asked myself why I was so dedicated to trying to play competitive, when I consistently have a less stressful experience playing QP, and the only end reward for punishing myself with competitive is a lot of cursing at the monitor and maybe, if I'm lucky, a gaudy skin for one of my characters' guns at the end of the season. At the same time, though, some of my favorite matches in this game have been clutch wins in competitive. Might give it one more shot and, if I end up seeing another sheer drop at the end of the night, finally relegate myself to the QP gutter from now on.

aeolist

Banned
It's hard for me to envision situations where you're racking up 40-50 elims in competitive games and not winning. Are you eliminating all but one guy who holds the point/payload until the team gets back, and that's happening multiple times? 'Cause when I feel I'm doing good and get gold/silver elims I'm usually getting 30-35 kills for the whole match and we usually end up winning.

lol really? honestly at this point i almost always perform well in my bracket and get at the very least 30 elims, usually 40 or more whether i'm tank or dps.

my winrate is still around 43%. it's actually impossible to carry these games.

MastAndo

Jumped onboard not too long ago (right after the free weekend), and recently started ranked matches. Placement matches didn't go so well, so I ended up with a 2160-ish score, which is actually higher than I thought, all things considered.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the scoring system here though - I played one ranked matched after placing which we lost, and watched my SR plummet almost 60 points. From there, I went 3-3 yesterday in ranked matches and ended up with a net negative SR for the day. I mean, is this because I'm playing poorly or can one expect this to happen if you have a 50% win rate? I know I'm not very good, but I don't think I'm necessarily bad either and realize it will take time to improve, but this is discouraging as someone trying to mostly solo queue, having no control over my teammates. Can you play to a 50% win rate and end up increasing your SR if you play really well?

I'm also playing mostly Zenyatta, switching to Roadhog, and some Zarya recently, as needed - is getting shafted as a support player still a thing? I thought I had read about that happening in season 1.

As Aeolist said, the DPS just plain sucked. Regarding Payload maps, we could carry to some degree and the defense would generally not pose any problems until the last point where we would be practically on top of the glowing rectangle. The defense spawn is really close on the last point so the opposing team would just keep contesting - sometimes swapping out to Winston, D.va, Tracer, Mei, Lucio, etc. to contest faster and longer. After the first wipe, the final point becomes harder and harder to lock down due to spawn distance of the attackers and letting the defending team get established. It also doesn't help when you tell your randoms to fall back or to regroup after losing your ground only to have them run in and die alone, staggering the spawns. Without coordination between us and the randoms (especially when they aren't really contributing anything) it becomes impossible.

Prelude.

Jumped onboard not too long ago (right after the free weekend), and recently started ranked matches. Placement matches didn't go so well, so I ended up with a 2160-ish score, which is actually higher than I thought, all things considered.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the scoring system here though - I played one ranked matched after placing which we lost, and watched my SR plummet almost 60 points. From there, I went 3-3 yesterday in ranked matches and ended up with a net negative SR for the day. I mean, is this because I'm playing poorly or can one expect this to happen if you have a 50% win rate? I know I'm not very good, but I don't think I'm necessarily bad either and realize it will take time to improve, but this is discouraging as someone trying to mostly solo queue, having no control over my teammates. Can you play to a 50% win rate and end up increasing your SR if you play really well?

I'm also playing mostly Zenyatta, switching to Roadhog, and some Zarya recently, as needed - is getting shafted as a support player still a thing? I thought I had read about that happening in season 1.

Only Blizzard knows how the SR is calculated. Most of it is probably the game comparing teams and deciding which one's the favorite, and a tiny fraction of it it's your performance.
I had winning games where I dominated and only got a couple of points and others where I did pretty poorly and got like 20-30.

MastAndo

Only Blizzard knows how the SR is calculated. Most of it is probably the game comparing teams and deciding which one's the favorite, and a tiny fraction of it it's your performance.
I had winning games where I dominated and only got a couple of points and others where I did pretty poorly and got like 20-30.
I see, thanks.

So is any of that relative to your own SR? For example, if I play with a friend with a higher SR and both teams have an average SR substantially higher than my own, can I expect to earn more from wins than playing at or around my own rating?

xaosslug

it's funny, whenever I have Bastion on my side the enemy team always manages to coordinate their attack around killing him, every. single. time. Meanwhile when the enemy team rolls Bastion he never fails to successfully fuck up my team. -__-

LiK

it's funny, whenever I have Bastion on my side the enemy team always manages to coordinate their attack around killing him, every. single. time. Meanwhile when the enemy team rolls Bastion he never fails to successfully fuck up my team. -__-

TFW when the enemy team plays a hero better than the guy on your own team.

Kysen

How does personal performance contribute?

Define "play well consistently". It's fairly easy to be the best player on a poor team, at least in terms of raw numbers, but my findings are that I am still loosing more on a loss than I am gaining back on a win.

Play well means you need to meet the minimum threshold of other players playing that hero. For example if you want to be at say 2800 rating as mcree you need similar elims/accuracy/damage as other mcrees at that rank. Sadly only blizzard has the complete data.

The points you get at the end of the round is calculated based on.
-difference in average skill of your team vs other
-win/loss (controls direction obviously)
-how each of the characters you played that round compare to others on the same map and skill level.

I notice this any time I switch to a character I am rubbish with, even if I win I get barely any points. A loss is even worse.

"Play well" IS the best advice but the fact of the matter is you can play well and still rank down over a given period and that's just the way it is unless Blizzard changes the way SR is calculated.

I wish I saved a post of someone from the official forums who had this problem, they even linked their MO profile. It showed that while they were winning more on one character (DVa with significant games played) their performance on their main (Mercy) was below average pulling down their rating.

matmanx1

Play well means you need to meet the minimum threshold of other players playing that hero. For example if you want to be at say 2800 rating as mcree you need similar elims/accuracy/damage as other mcrees at that rank. Sadly only blizzard has the complete data.

The points you get at the end of the round is calculated based on.
-difference in average skill of your team vs other
-win/loss (controls direction obviously)
-how each of the characters you played that round compare to others on the same map and skill level.

I notice this any time I switch to a character I am rubbish with, even if I win I get barely any points. A loss is even worse.

I wish I saved a post of someone from the official forums who had this problem, they even linked their MO profile. It showed that while they were winning more on one character (DVa with significant games played) their performance on their main (Mercy) was below average pulling down their rating.

And I have some of this going on as well. I started out S2 playing Zarya and I'm not where I need to be with her yet to be playing her competitively. I am very streaky with Zarya and I am sure that hurt both my placements and my first week or so of competitive. Now that I have started playing mainly Zenyatta my W/L has improved as have my stats but I have still yet to see any significant SR gain. Still too many "below average" games under my belt to move up much, most likely.

I do think that streak bonuses need to be tuned or eliminated altogether. It feels like the system starts overcompensating once you've won or lost more than 3 or 4 in a row which leads to some wild SR swings that the player really has no control over. I'm not an expert but it seems logical to me that it would be a more linear progression instead of an exponential one once a streak occurs.

rulerk1

Why is it when the match starts Tracer's always use her time jump to get into the field, leaving their teammates behind, for an engagement that will always end up with them dead because they have no idea how to stay alive. I mean I get it, if the objective is active but at the start? Come on now. Im only 21 now so I'm assuming this will stop when I get to ranked mode

Greddleok

Oh, so it's anecdotal. Good, I loathe the idea that medals actually count towards the rating. Medals basically mean jack shit.

LiK

Why is it when the match starts Tracer's always use her time jump to get into the field, leaving their teammates behind, for an engagement that will always end up with them dead because they have no idea how to stay alive. I mean I get it, if the objective is active but at the start? Come on now. Im only 21 now so I'm assuming this will stop when I get to ranked mode

Tracer is a flanker so she's supposed to go behind enemy lines and distract the other team. A good Tracer can easily eliminate the back line. She's supposed to split up like with Genji. That's a normal tactic.You'll rarely see a Tracer sticking with your team in higher level play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom