• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone explain that new controller aiming thing.

This is what it sounds like to me:

The current mode is that the further you push the stick, the quicker you turn at a standard rate.

The new mode is that most of the range of the stick will be low sensitivity, so you can aim without turning as much, until you mash the stick toward the outer limits of it, when it flips over and lets you turn quickly.

Or something.

BigDug13

Tracer is a flanker so she's supposed to go behind enemy lines and distract the other team. A good Tracer can easily eliminate the back line. She's supposed to split up like with Genji. That's a normal tactic.You'll rarely see a Tracer sticking with your team in higher level play.

To an extent but in high level play people seem pretty adept at killing her. It seems like her engaging from behind right when the enemy engages from the front becomes a solid tactic to be able to land some kills in he chaos since it's so difficult to keep track of you in the carnage, maybe throw a bomb into a Zarya ult or stick it to someone in the chaos and hope they walk towards others.

Edit - oh missed the patch notes. Anxious to get the new controller changes to console. But on PTR PC it's not like anyone is really going to be testing the controller settings.

Farewell

90% of the zone your analog sticks can move in will have low sensitivity, but acceleration. Means the faster you move the stick, the faster the cursor moves by some factor. The outer edge of your analog stick, the 10%, will be a fixed, high sensitivity zone with low acceleration.

This sounds nice!

I-hate-u

Edit - oh missed the patch notes. Anxious to get the new controller changes to console. But on PTR PC it's not like anyone is really going to be testing the controller settings.

I know right. Pretty confused about that. Console specific change on PTR? wut?

Anne

I know right. Pretty confused about that. Console specific change on PTR? wut?

Some people do play on PC with a controller due to preference or an inability to use K+M for various reasons. Overwatch has been pretty good with keeping up with the controller support on console.

Plesiades

yQKESQV.jpg

There's a new Top 500 leaderboard. It's really broken right now or this guy really is REALLY consistent with his 4 accounts (one is in the next page).

That top right buttom seems to put all the regions together. That way you can see if you're the best of the best of the best.
Sir

Prelude.

They finally addressed Zenyatta's achievement, yay.

Also, fuck off with that Junkrat's ult buff, if he's out of position he should be punished, don't give him more chances to channel his ult.

matmanx1

Gonna requote myself for people who missed it last night, but here's the interview I've been working on lately:

Things we talk about:
-how they view the job of supports
-current metagame stuff
-choosing supports
-personal thoughts and other stuff abotu the characters and balance
-Symmetra

It's pretty informative if you want to know what the higher level opinion of all that is.

On another note, this week's meta report is interesting. Lots of tanks.

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-...r-list-and-meta-report-world-of-tanks-edition

I am gonna criticize this guy a bit though. His data gathering and presentation are really valuable, but I dislike the way he tiers things. I don't see a low usage rate character and think, "oh, F tier." I'd take the tier lists with a grain of salt because some of the low usage rate heroes are actually pretty good (like Mei) and are just picked infrequently due to teams being shit at niche strats and the dominance of other strats. I wish he presented that part differently.

Yep, good article. Good stuff Anne. I think it's interesting that harryhook says his whole job is to keep chips alive (which in turn enables the Ana healing and ult charging). It just goes to show how important that Ana ult has become in such a short time.

Captain Planet's meta report is also interesting but I do take those write-ups with a large grain of salt. What Pro players do in esports does trickle down somewhat but only to a degree. At the non-pro level most characters are viable depending on the map and the situation.

I like the layout changes and being able to see the top 500. I'm really curious about the new controller changes. It'd be awesome if the game just immediately felt much better in a noticeable way. But much more likely it probably won't change much of anything.

LiK

I like the layout changes and being able to see the top 500. I'm really curious about the new controller changes. It'd be awesome if the game just immediately felt much better in a noticeable way. But much more likely it probably won't change much of anything.

i'm curious if the new controller aiming is better too. need some PC people to actually try this with controllers and report back.

I-hate-u

Some people do play on PC with a controller due to preference or an inability to use K+M for various reasons. Overwatch has been pretty good with keeping up with the controller support on console.

Cool. I hope for some impressions then. Any thoughts about the Ana ult nerf?

Anne

Cool. I hope for some impressions then. Any thoughts about the Ana ult nerf?

I'm kinda split on it. Won't know until I see it played with a bit. One part of me says "well she just goes from an ult every 30 seconds to an ult every 36 seconds." while the other part of me goes "well maybe she can't enable a dumb cycle anymore."

Regardless, the core of 3/3 is still there and should work. Just depends on if it works well enough now that she's been "normalized" on that front. If it does still work, and I think it will, then we have a much harder to solve issue on our hands.

It's a much more complex issue than "Ana's ult is fast." Yeah, her ult is fast, but I mean if you can't kill 3/3 still and the ult economy can hold up past the initial fighting, then it still works. Idk, my view on high level meta is a lot different, I don't see it as all that simple ;w; there are a lot of "what ifs" cause these strategies are multilayered and can go in diff directions.

LiK

No Symmetra buffs, FeelsBadMan

I know the changes here are relatively small though

she doesn't need buff on PC. we'll have to wait and see if they stealth buff her back on console. her nerf wasn't mentioned before when Torb was nerfed.

I-hate-u

I'm kinda split on it. Won't know until I see it played with a bit. One part of me says "well she just goes from an ult every 30 seconds to an ult every 36 seconds." while the other part of me goes "well maybe she can't enable a dumb cycle anymore."

Regardless, the core of 3/3 is still there and should work. Just depends on if it works well enough now that she's been "normalized" on that front. If it does still work, and I think it will, then we have a much harder to solve issue on our hands.

I feel like Ana will still build ult fast due to the tanks and acting as a main healer. She is probably not going to go away.

Ana has been working very well for NiP, not surprisingly. They just decimated Reunited.

Anne

she doesn't need buff on PC. we'll have to wait and see if they stealth buff her back on console. her nerf wasn't mentioned before when Torb was nerfed.

She kind of does. As things have gotten more refined she's been getting weaker. Harry and Chips brought it up in my interview, basically TP has a set of problems that make it very unlikely to succeed in most cases.

That's in high level though. In solo q she's actually a pretty good pubstomper I think.

Jellie

Just got the PC version and my accuracy sucks. Too used to aim assist with Zarya. Genji is hard to hit again now.

Accuracy bottom 90% everywhere :(
Also so many bastions. At least two a match sometimes three.
Any settings I should be using to get better accuracy?

I-hate-u

Genji seems really useless in the 3/3 meta if he can't take out Ana. Not only is she hard enough to kill 1 v 1, but it doesn't help when the tanks are protecting her.

Trey

She kind of does. As things have gotten more refined she's been getting weaker. Harry and Chips brought it up in my interview, basically TP has a set of problems that make it very unlikely to succeed in most cases.

That's in high level though. In solo q she's actually a pretty good pubstomper I think.

She's bad in the sense that if you're organized, you're not worried about the teleporter. Most team fights are won clean, so anyone running back through a teleporter is aterrible a huge disadvantage to the point it's not worth it.

The reason she's decent in ranked is the reason every character is viable: people aren't playing efficiently. Doesn't say much for her.

LiK

I thought she was still viable there. Her turrets are so useless on console now.

Anne

I feel like Ana will still build ult fast due to the tanks and acting as a main healer. She is probably not going to go away.

Ana has been working very well for NiP, not surprisingly. They just decimated Reunited.

It might be, there's no "real" limit on speed and the strat makes it so fast compared to other ults still. Like I said, it goes really deep into the ult system in general and the different ways comps can play out. Like, if they nerf Ana to the point she can't be stable in a comp like this, she becomes horrendously awful. But if she is even remotely decent with how she works, she'll kind of always enable that shit. It's pretty rough to balance out because afaik there isn't a system in place to just say "okay, this has to have some limit" without just making all the numbers really slow to build.

I thought she was still viable there. Her turrets are so useless on console now.

She's been on a pretty steady decline. The main reasons being that against teams that fight efficiently and decisively, TP just isn't a very good solution to a bad fight. There are a lot of factors that go into how she performs, but that's the biggest one. Everything else she is okay at, but when it comes down to affecting fights she can't do it.

It might be, there's no "real" limit on speed and the strat makes it so fast compared to other ults still. Like I said, it goes really deep into the ult system in general and the different ways comps can play out. Like, if they nerf Ana to the point she can't be stable in a comp like this, she becomes horrendously awful. But if she is even remotely decent with how she works, she'll kind of always enable that shit. It's pretty rough to balance out because afaik there isn't a system in place to just say "okay, this has to have some limit" without just making all the numbers really slow to build.
What did you think of my 'can't build ult while nano boosted' 3/3 solution?

Anne

What did you think of my 'can't build ult while nano boosted' 3/3 solution?

That might do it, but if the boosts are winning fights then it doesn't matter much, ya know? If there was a longer CD before ult charge could be built again that would be interesting, yeah, but it would need to be balanced a bit differently. There's something to that idea applied to ults in general, the current lock outs to rebuild charge aren't very strict.

antitrop

That's some MLG shit right there :p

I can't find the whole video right now, but that Lucio was chasing the guy all the way up to the rooftops and booping him off to fight him on the low ground, that's why the guy was laughing. Full Predator Lucio.

I thought Genji would be pretty good against 3x3. His ranged attacks means he doesnt have to get in up close with tanks to take out supports and with 3 tanks he can easily farm his ultimate as well.

From what i understand the way Genji works in the meta now is that his sword forces support ults like Zen and Lucio who are usually the other 2 supports with Ana in 3x3

Atleast this is all what i think why he would be good and what "would" happen

DevilDog

Just got the PC version and my accuracy sucks. Too used to aim assist with Zarya. Genji is hard to hit again now.

Accuracy bottom 90% everywhere :(
Also so many bastions. At least two a match sometimes three.

But now you'll be hitting your shots due to pure skill.

And some luck. Fuck junkrats luck ffs.

I'd rather have the ana nerf being hitting the ult charge while boosted but oh well.

He grenade buff is actually amazing.

Giving how I'm not a top tier ana the nerf doesn't really affect me much.

Anne

I thought Genji would be pretty good against 3x3. His ranged attacks means he doesnt have to get in up close with tanks to take out supports and with 3 tanks he can easily farm his ultimate as well.

From what i understand the way Genji works in the meta now is that his sword forces support ults like Zen and Lucio who are usually the other 2 supports with Ana in 3x3

Atleast this is all what i think why he would be good and what "would" happen

The issue is that he's just not gonna get good chances to sword against 3/3. Like, sword isn't killing any tank in an organized fight. He has to kill supports, which means he has to extend into them, and he has to have the ult economy in his favor to get value from sword. Like, yay sword got a Lucio ult. Zen still has his ult, Ana is still doing her healing and having 80 ults, and so on. That's even if the sword is worth it to attempt, which it usually isn't. Not saying it can't be done, but it's pretty unlikely.

FYI for people interested, the best way to fight 3/3 is to do 3/3 or 4/2 yourself, or try to play 3 DPS with a Reaper or something and just focus things down so fast the nanoboost snowball party never starts. That's not exactly stable though. It might be with the nerf maybe.

Jellie

But now you'll be hitting your shots due to pure skill.

And some luck. Fuck junkrats luck ffs.

Might take a while to get good on PC. Any settings I should be using or any PC specific tips?
With McCrees critial hit% is that a % of all shots or only shots that hit.

Redmoon

There's a new Top 500 leaderboard. It's really broken right now or this guy really is REALLY consistent with his 4 accounts (one is in the next page).

That top right buttom seems to put all the regions together. That way you can see if you're the best of the best of the best.
Sir

Now that this is a thing in game, i hope we get the ability soon to see our current position regionally as non top500s.

Azoor

I can't find the whole video right now, but that Lucio was chasing the guy all the way up to the rooftops and booping him off to fight him on the low ground, that's why the guy was laughing. Full Predator Lucio.

I would have laughed too if I were in his place, that's some dedication lol.

That's actually pretty handy.

So 1.5GB for tweaks? There's gotta be more stuff in there.

Maybe they stealth added some Sombra stuff :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom