• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

DR2K

Banned
I really hate rage quitters in ranked, 3 matches in a row someone leaves and ruins it for every other player in the match.

I really hope there are stricter punishments for leavers in the next season.

Holy crap Splyce is disbanding its Overwatch team. That's now 3 orgs that have dropped their Overwatch teams this week. I'm almost certain this has to do with Overwatch League.

Now, for context on the teams...

- TSM hasn't had a full team for months and there team has been in a constant state of flux. However I'm including them here because I feel it would be naive to assume that there was a 0% chance it had to do with the league.
- Complexity lost Harbleu a couple months ago and Shake last week, but they have remained relevant in the Overwatch scene for a long time despite being a relatively smaller org. This roster was probably going to get overhauled regardless to be fair.
- Splyce has had some success recently beating Team Liquid and giving Selfless a run for their money. Just last week they gave the previously mentioned Shake a trial run for their team, so this news is especially shocking. This confirms it to me that there must have been some recent news that has changed the direction of a lot of orgs out there.

The takeaway here is that unless Blizzard specifically addresses this somehow, the Overwatch competitive scene outside of the League could be very weak. It's certainly risky for Blizzard to put all their eggs in one basket here, but I guess if they are getting the investment from major organizations they should be fine. Some sort of minor league system for teams to identify talent seems like a must though.

LiK

Damn HOTS promo was a failure. People not interested after getting D.Va skin. Ah well. Back to trophy hunting in P5.

Owzers

Damn HOTS promo was a failure. People not interested after getting D.Va skin. Ah well. Back to trophy hunting in P5.
They couldn't even get me to get the skin, and it's a pretty good skin.

Also, unrelated, I had an awful dva game on Anubis attack last night. My ults were the worst.

Prelude.

event channel? tell me more.
"/join nexuschallenge" in the chat to join the chat channel for the event, you'll find lots of people wanting to group up there.
On the main screen you can see popups with players/groups looking for people, or you can tick the check mark to show that you're looking for a group.

Fugu

Holy crap Splyce is disbanding its Overwatch team. That's now 3 orgs that have dropped their Overwatch teams this week. I'm almost certain this has to do with Overwatch League.

Now, for context on the teams...

- TSM hasn't had a full team for months and there team has been in a constant state of flux. However I'm including them here because I feel it would be naive to assume that there was a 0% chance it had to do with the league.
- Complexity lost Harbleu a couple months ago and Shake last week, but they have remained relevant in the Overwatch scene for a long time despite being a relatively smaller org. This roster was probably going to get overhauled regardless to be fair.
- Splyce has had some success recently beating Team Liquid and giving Selfless a run for their money. Just last week they gave the previously mentioned Shake a trial run for their team, so this news is especially shocking. This confirms it to me that there must have been some recent news that has changed the direction of a lot of orgs out there.

The takeaway here is that unless Blizzard specifically addresses this somehow, the Overwatch competitive scene outside of the League could be very weak. It's certainly risky for Blizzard to put all their eggs in one basket here, but I guess if they are getting the investment from major organizations they should be fine. Some sort of minor league system for teams to identify talent seems like a must though.
Do you have any thoughts as to Blizzard's motivation for potentially cannibalizing their own game's pro scene? This seems like a strange move.

This sucks I haven't done any competitive for season 4 and first team I get in my placement matches is Honzo,widowmaker,junkrat,soldier 76,genji we get our shit kicked in round 1 and half the team quit

Edit: I just got kicked for being inactive well posting this probably a blessing

Edit: 3 losses in a row I've never placed in silver or bronze but I'm pretty sure I am this season 😕

Do you have any thoughts as to Blizzard's motivation for potentially cannibalizing their own game's pro scene? This seems like a strange move.

One potential reason is that they want full control over their scene, rather than license to other companies. Overwatch is really the first Esport I have ever followed, but apparently Blizzard has done some weird stuff in Esports like this in the past, most notably for Starcraft.

There's also the possibility the Overwatch League is a monster hit that makes billions. Some projections have in fact said as much, even if I don't necessarily think they are accurate and reportedly some team owners agree with me. If it's true that the Patriots and the Dolphins reportedly agree to slots for the league, that's a good sign for the potential earnings of this thing.

Personally I wish they would keep tournaments like the Monthly Melee around; it would help give a lot of smaller teams some exposure, something that seems desperately needed for how the Overwatch League looks right now. We still know very little about all of this to be honest, so all of this discussion could be pointless in the end.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The voice actor of McCree is playing Divinity: Original Sin II.

https://www.twitch.tv/matthewmercer

Edit: What the hell is going on? they are role playing their characters or something

Edit2: Oh okay he's the game master and gives them quests, pretty cool.

Syf

Banned
One potential reason is that they want full control over their scene, rather than license to other companies. Overwatch is really the first Esport I have ever followed, but apparently Blizzard has done some weird stuff in Esports like this in the past, most notably for Starcraft.
Yes. Best example is when they killed GSL and forced them to rebrand as WCS Korea. I remember that disaster. They also made all major tournaments incorporate into the WCS structure.

I think they do want full control of it as the Overwatch League is by far their biggest esports endeavor to date. The cities approach with the investors they apparently have makes it sound like they want a full pro structure like the major sports leagues in NA. I think the scale of it will be a step above anything else we've seen in esports tbh. If Blizz was just setting up a league in the same light as any of their other games like the WCS/HGC/HCT it wouldn't be taking this long. And I doubt they'll want any major competition to it.

Yes. Best example is when they killed GSL and forced them to rebrand as WCS Korea. I remember that disaster. They also made all major tournaments incorporate into the WCS structure.

I think they do want full control of it as the Overwatch League is by far their biggest esports endeavor to date. The cities approach with the investors they apparently have makes it sound like they want a full pro structure like the major sports leagues in NA. I think the scale of it will be a step above anything else we've seen in esports tbh. If Blizz was just setting up a league in the same light as any of their other games like the WCS/HGC/HCT it wouldn't be taking this long. And I doubt they'll want any major competition to it.

Yeah I agree with everything here.

One of the big concerns for me however is the Overwatch League premier date. With there being incredibly little in NA tournaments after this month, if there are any setbacks and Overwatch League premieres later in the year, there is going to be a huge viewership drop off and it's not like the current tournaments are pulling huge numbers either. That being said, I feel it's going to premiere relatively soon if orgs are dropping their teams now.

Five more games and I can put HotS on the shelf until next year (or whenever the next challenge is).

Tricked myself into thinking I was having fun and tried playing one more game on top of the 5 I needed. Big mistake, ended up being the worst game I've ever had on there. Get your 5 and get out.

Just played a game on temple of annibus and the enemy team never touched the point well we were defending.
So next round I picked sombra on attack and ran past everyone to cap the point the enemy couldn't do anything because my team was fighting them head on.

Felt cheap

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just played a game on temple of annibus and the enemy team never touched the point well we were defending.
So next round I picked sombra on attack and ran past everyone to cap the point the enemy couldn't do anything because my team was fighting them head on.

Felt cheap

Is this solo queue and on console? If yes to both then it's not cheap, it's literally a dice roll as to whether or not your team is better :(

Fugu

Only two weeks left to get 100 more SR for GM aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Felt cheap
Has it not been changed to the tick system on consoles? You have to get up to 1/3rd in this situation on PC.

Is this solo queue and on console? If yes to both then it's not cheap, it's literally a dice roll as to whether or not your team is better :(
Solo queue on console

Only two weeks left to get 100 more SR for GM aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Has it not been changed to the tick system on consoles? You have to get up to 1/3rd in this situation on PC.
I did have to cap 1/3 but by the time they realized what was happening it was too late for them to stop me

LAM09

I really hate rage quitters in ranked, 3 matches in a row someone leaves and ruins it for every other player in the match.

I really hope there are stricter punishments for leavers in the next season.

We've been hoping for that since season 1. It doesn't seem likely

Fugu

We've been hoping for that since season 1. It doesn't seem likely
Because there are negative consequences for steeper punishments for leavers, like the fact that it also means steeper punishments for people who disconnect. If you disconnect before the start of the round you lose 50 SR no matter what the reason, and that's really stupid if your disconnect is for a legitimate/internet-related reason.

Man comp been a bag of dicks tonight on a team with a Honzo widow combo getting our shit kicked in last game had a rage quitter 😢

Edit:we also have a sombra

LAM09

Because there are negative consequences for steeper punishments for leavers, like the fact that it also means steeper punishments for people who disconnect. If you disconnect before the start of the round you lose 50 SR no matter what the reason, and that's really stupid if your disconnect is for a legitimate/internet-related reason.

Should be longer timeouts from playing online. Strike system ranging from 1hr to a day seems enough to get through to quitters. Bigger SR punishment isn't the way to go.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
In my experience when playing if my team has a widow,hanzo,sombra it's usually a loss I can't think of many situations where I've thought "man we could really use a sombra"

Do you mean all 3 of those on one team or any of those 3?

People roll their eyes too much at """"non-meta"""" picks, especially on console and especially at not-high SRs. I've lost count of how many times I have had people spamming "Thanks" and punching my player model because I pick Junkrat or Mei then go on to steamroll the match.

People playing comps that don't make sense and then refusing to switch characters is one thing, but there's too much "ugh they picked x instead of y, I give up"

Fugu

Should be longer timeouts from playing online. Strike system ranging from 1hr to a day seems enough to get through to quitters. Bigger SR punishment isn't the way to go.
Disconnecting by mistake and getting booted off for an hour similarly doesn't seem fair, although I agree that suspension, rather than SR, is a better way to punish disconnects.

People roll their eyes too much at """"non-meta"""" picks, especially on console and especially at not-high SRs. I've lost count of how many times I have had people spamming "Thanks" and punching my player model because I pick Junkrat or Mei then go on to steamroll the match.

People playing comps that don't make sense and then refusing to switch characters is one thing, but there's too much "ugh they picked x instead of y, I give up"
I don't even know what is meta but I know in my personal experience I haven't played with a good sombra and yeah playing with those 3 on a team is frustrating

LAM09

Disconnecting by mistake and getting booted off for an hour similarly doesn't seem fair, although I agree that suspension, rather than SR, is a better way to punish disconnects.

Not sure how the game deals with disconnections​ to be fair. Sometimes people can rejoin and other times they can't.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't even know what is meta but I know in my personal experience I haven't played with a good sombra and yeah playing with those 3 on a team is frustrating

Playing with all 3 on console is a disaster usually.

I find these games less frustrating than higher SR even matches, though. If it's 3200 SR and team comps are normal and we lose, I feel like I just got outplayed. If it's 2200 SR and we have whacky comps with Widow x Symmetra mains then it just feels out of my hands so I can't get mad :v

Fugu

I'm on PC and at a not-not-high SR and I roll my eyes at Junkrat and Sombra in comp games.

I make it a habit not to yell at people and to give people a chance, but you'd best be prepared to switch if you're shitting it up.

Not sure how the game deals with disconnections​ to be fair. Sometimes people can rejoin and other times they can't.
If you disconnect within a minute of the game starting, the game is cancelled and the person who disconnects loses 50SR. If you disconnect any other time, the game continues but you can rejoin for no penalty or stay out and lose 50SR.

LAM09

If you disconnect within a minute of the game starting, the game is cancelled and the person who disconnects loses 50SR. If you disconnect any other time, the game continues but you can rejoin for no penalty or stay out and lose 50SR.

I've played with a few people that weren't able to rejoin games at all due after getting disconnected.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm on PC and at a not-not-high SR and I roll my eyes at Junkrat and Sombra in comp games.

I make it a habit not to yell at people and to give people a chance, but you'd best be prepared to switch if you're shitting it up.

Already mentioned that caveat! Not switching is another thing but an immediate "um that isn't a dive comp pick, switch plz" mentality is boring.

I want to Sombra more though, and have slowed on my Junkrat use. Aside from situation uses, I find Junkrat is okay if the team is bad, since people are seemingly incapable of breaking shields.

Owzers

Spurs ending was worth it.

I won a game with Mercy, the koth game our mercy switched to sym then Ana then back to Mercy the next round and we won, and the tonight show is a daily show reunion so I'm not sure if I'm returning, depends how it goes.

Jblanks

In master right now, do I have to stay in master by the end of the season to get the master rewards or did they only change top 500?

Also played like a 30 minute match on a King's Row yesterday and won 8-7, it was crazy. Got potg as Reinhardt hammered down everyone on the pay load and ended up getting the team kill with my brother using aimbot while in OT. Very rewarding but stressful. Those are the games where I needed to take a break after.

Spurs ending was worth it.

I won a game with Mercy, the koth game our mercy switched to sym then Ana, and the tonight show is a daily show reunion so I'm not sure if I'm returning, depends how it goes.
That was so weird. We did great with her as Mercy, then Symm gets crushed, then Ana gets crushed, then back to Mercy after we begged and did great.

That was a clutch win. Thought we were going to give it away.

Today was the reminder that Overwatch is fun.

9h straight, 22 comp games, that was a shit ton of fun for the most part. I think in the last games I was playing subconsciously, my brain couldn't process anything more. Guess that's the only way I can actually win playing tracer this season.

The randoms were nice at the end thankfully, that girl sounded like she was kinda tilted but I'm glad that she made the right decision.

jengo

Any idea what happens if I'm dropped within the last few seconds of a match? My PS4 randomly spits out the disc, and did so as we were winning a ranked match in Overtime >_<

Top Bottom