• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

I was healing everyone. But there was a different gengu in every game spamming I need healing. It was hell yesterday. I don't know what happened.

I love the spams for healing/complaints in chat that occur when I am 'not healing' people instead of them actually running off on their own beyond the frontline. Also, I think they should give the supports a silhouette to a player who has low health, that way they can see where a support is because so many times I have ended up running the same way round an object as another player and not managed to heal them in time because we never met.

N7.Angel

it's nice to get mail like this
C_XK8-dVYAAvcyQ.jpg:small

I also got my game over trophy a few nights ago
Play of the game

WOW nice, mine are more like "Fuck you fucking pharah trash ", "I hope ur kids get raped by ur mom" "get cancer and die mofo" etc... etc...

Some people are lucky XD

Yager

Banned
it's nice to get mail like this
C_XK8-dVYAAvcyQ.jpg:small

I once got a "really nice Mercy, you play good man". It made my day...until the next game a Genji send me a message for not healing him. "You should've stuck with me. We would've won". Yes mate, of course I will follow you to the depths of hell so get killed ever 10 seconds.

3-0 solo queue

Soldier/Rein (great Soldier, meh Rein)
Zen (Could've been better)
Lucio (awesome)

That's enough for today.

That lucio winrate going up!

I thought we had some good comp games even as a 6 stack.

That last game on volskaya was bad and I logged off because it was late already here lol.

I probably shouldn't have gone Symmetra on defense and stuck with soldier since I was pretty much having some great games with him Oh well.

Yup ggs, we were pretty solid for the most part.

Symmetra was fine, we jut got unlucky in the first point when that Rein charged to his death in the first push but by doing it so it opened the way for their soldier to get two picks in the middle of that mess. There wasn't enough time to build the teleporter.

I once got a "really nice Mercy, you play good man". It made my day...until the next game a Genji send me a message for not healing him. "You should've stuck with me. We would've won". Yes mate, of course I will follow you to the depths of hell so get killed ever 10 seconds.

You have to respect the lore.

Rezzed and healed a team like crazy, had rezzed 20% of team deaths. Still lost. Why. Team doesn't know how to get dps off high ground. So we lose to high noon.

Keasar

People keep saying I trollpick no matter what I fucking play...
I play Winston, badly. Trollpick.
I play Torbjörn, badly. Trollpick.
I play Zenyatta, badly. Trollpick.
Reinhardt, trollpick.
Symmetra, trollpick.
Mercy, trollpick.
Pharah, trollpick.
Soldier 76, trollpick.
Lucio, trollpick.

NO MATTER WHAT I PLAY I AM APPARENTLY TOO BAD.
Fuck this game so much. Fuck all of it I dunno why I ever fucking bother, maybe because I spent so much money on goddamn loot boxes because I saw no other way of getting the cosmetics I liked except paying insane amounts of money to fucking MAYBE get them.

FUCK.

_Legacy_

We even had a Hanzo who is super useful against Pharamercy. oh wait...

Blizzard needs to do something to nerf that combo on consoles. Not make it useless, but something so it isn't such a pain in the ass.

That guy was an idiot. He must have been tilted by the Pharah

Veelk

Banned

Sorry about people being dicks. :(

The game genuinely feels like an abusive relationship sometimes. It can be an absolute blast of unbridled joy some days, and just a kick in the nethers the next, with no way to predict which it'll be.

Keasar

I know, probably should mute everything.

I just never do because I consider chat and communication important for the sake of teamwork. I have never done so in a game before but I guess this might be the very first time I do that. It hurts being called out mostly every game, even in Quick Play, for being awful, and I never seem to fucking improve either.

NeoRaider

Just had my most fun Lucio game:

1oONqRW.png

It was soooo much fun. I booped Lucio from their team 3 times and Ana/boosted Soldier together just moment after he pressed Q. XD

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone watching this BK Stars vs RG Wings stream?

Those constant mid air EMPs that Envy is doing with Sombra are cool.

Is there a good tutorial on how to use Widowmaker's grappling hook properly? I usually jump before I hook to make it on top of stuff, but I have no idea how people do those superjumps at the start of 3v3.

Edit:
I saw this on the overwatch sub reddit today
Blackhardt Roadhog
tumblr_opleps1aI01skoy7ho5_1280.png
OMG so sick. THIS is what I want.

Nah karst you just insulted a whole generation because of your comments stop playing ow
rofl. Some people are so desperate to be offended they don't even take the time to know what they are talking about before feeling that way.

Did a Qm yesterday as battle mercy on wpg. Because the team comp wasn't great. They had two great potg but it picked the reaper one. Rip. We managed to stall it out at the last checkpoint. Lol I made their rein leave the game after I shot him from the back as he ran away.

Play your best heroes and you will win. That's what I'm always saying but no one listens.

I think Lucio is one of my best but not the best - however I think my Lucio play style meshes the best with the GAF group's tactics and strategy.

I tried playing Tracer last night with GAF and it went...poorly. Mostly because we were trying a dive strategy on Hanamura and it looks like I don't do well with Tracer when diving on 2CPs. I can use her better on payload maps as a flanker.

LiK

I think Lucio is one of my best but not the best - however I think my Lucio play style meshes the best with the GAF group's tactics and strategy.

I tried playing Tracer last night with GAF and it went...poorly. Mostly because we were trying a dive strategy on Hanamura and it looks like I don't do well with Tracer when diving on 2CPs. I can use her better on payload maps as a flanker.

Doing dive without people knowing their roles or practice is a disaster. I think I tried it twice with the GAF stack in Comp and they were complete failures cuz they were impromptu "hey let's try dive!". I refuse to do anymore dive comps in Comp. It's just giving the enemy teams an easy win, imo.

Owzers

I need to play more Torb, Orisa, and Reaper ( for at least a minute), we had a mostly good record those three games especially if our dive comp could have taken point a hanamura to keep my pro Torb defense from getting a draw.

I'll be on tonight when Cappa goes to sleep and a spot opens up.

LiK

I need to play more Torb, Orisa, and Reaper ( for at least a minute), we had a mostly good record those three games especially if our dive comp could have taken point a hanamura to keep my pro Torb defense from getting a draw.

I'll be on tonight when Cappa goes to sleep and a spot opens up

I dunno why but this made me laugh.

I'll probably be on.

Yeah that was a shame, I felt bad for your turret, he did a good job on defense.

I'll be on tonight when Cappa goes to sleep and a spot opens up.

Yeah I really wanted to win that Hanamura one. We were close and it just didn't come together. But a draw with Torb is a victory for Torb.

I'll be on late tonight when everyone's spirit is broken and nobody cares that I'm a part of the stack.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I did my 10 placement matches and went 8 - 2 and only got 2445 which is a shame, I was carrying really hard on many of them. I played a lot in season 1 and got rank 61 but haven't played much at all since then so I guess that's a factor. I'll definitely get Platinum for the double gold points but I'm not sure if I can be bothered grinding out Diamond, we'll see.

Fugu

Play your best heroes and you will win. That's what I'm always saying but no one listens.
This is the way to go until diamond at least. The benefits of running a good team composition are generally overshadowed by the benefits of running a hero you can actually contribute meaningfully with at that level.

Related, Overbuff now lets you sort hero stats by SR. One of the most interesting things that I found from doing this is that the only people who have a >50% win rate with Ana is the GMs. We can't all be meta, folks.

I did my 10 placement matches and went 8 - 2 and only got 2445 which is a shame, I was carrying really hard on many of them. I played a lot in season 1 and got rank 61 but haven't played much at all since then so I guess that's a factor. I'll definitely get Platinum for the double gold points but I'm not sure if I can be bothered grinding out Diamond, we'll see.
If you were 61 in S1 you shouldn't have much trouble getting to diamond. This is entirely unscientific but I would say diamond now is roughly equal to 55 or somewhere thereabouts.

I'm around 3900 now and I got placed almost exactly the same as you. Placements are just strange.

LiK

This is the way to go until diamond at least. The benefits of running a good team composition are generally overshadowed by the benefits of running a hero you can actually contribute meaningfully with at that level.

Related, Overbuff now lets you sort hero stats by SR. One of the most interesting things that I found from doing this is that the only people who have a >50% win rate with Ana is the GMs. We can't all be meta, folks.

It doesn't matter what rank. Even if you're in higher tiers and you play a hero you're not that good with then you will suffer anyway. I'm not against flexing, it just depends on who you flex with. Some people think I only want them to play 1-2 heroes or something. I don't honestly care who people switch to as long as they're not garbage with them and only playing them for the sake of trying to counter.

Salex_

So tired of this shit. Game after game 3-4 DPS, all of them refuse to switch until the game is decided, and almost all of them are fucking garbage. The worst part is that they insist on picking everyone but Soldier, Phar, or Junkrat. I shouldn't be constantly getting 4 gold medals with Reinhart when we have this many DPS on the team. If I'm not using Reinhart, I'm the only healer on the team. I wish I could quit whenever I get paired up with these stubborn players. It's just a miserable experience that's guaranteed to be a lost.

What was Blizzard thinking when they decided to make so many DPS heroes when people were going to use them no matter what? Why aren't there more tanks and healers to convince people to use them? Why is Reinhart still the only "real" tank?

This doesn't work when no one goes healer.

People keep saying I trollpick no matter what I fucking play...
I play Winston, badly. Trollpick.
I play Torbjörn, badly. Trollpick.
I play Zenyatta, badly. Trollpick.
Reinhardt, trollpick.
Symmetra, trollpick.
Mercy, trollpick.
Pharah, trollpick.
Soldier 76, trollpick.
Lucio, trollpick.

NO MATTER WHAT I PLAY I AM APPARENTLY TOO BAD.
Fuck this game so much. Fuck all of it I dunno why I ever fucking bother, maybe because I spent so much money on goddamn loot boxes because I saw no other way of getting the cosmetics I liked except paying insane amounts of money to fucking MAYBE get them.

FUCK.

This is why I mute all.

Mute chat/voice and just do your own thing. Why allow random strangers to verbally abuse you in solo Q. I even have messages blocked from non-friends on PSN just to avoid pricks. I don't need distractions while I play.

Bingo.

This was the game that prompted the switch, sure I got a few somewhat amusing hate mail moments but I did just tire of the often misspelt ramblings of teenagers.

For some reason I still remember the turning point, when a guy using the incredibly horrible edgelord design that is Blazblue's Terumi gives you hate mail it's the moment you're like "young punks, get off my lawn!"

Fugu

It doesn't matter what rank. Even if you're in higher tiers and you play a hero you're not that good with then you will suffer anyway. I'm not against flexing, it just depends on who you flex with. Some people think I only want them to play 1-2 heroes or something. I don't honestly care who people switch to as long as they're not garbage with them and only playing them for the sake of trying to counter.
Rank is definitely relevant to determining the answer to the question "should I play attack Mei". The higher up you go the more convergent the benefits of playing a hero you know and playing a hero you need become, to the point where most people, at higher ranks, will have to learn at least two or three heroes to avoid being rendered irrelevant by counterpicks. There are a few exceptions to this at the very top, but they're aberrations and the 90-99th percentile people that populate diamond and above are still very far removed from them in terms of individual skill.

I'll illustrate what I mean with Widowmaker since there are a lot of Widow mains. A good Widow will probably have no trouble getting to diamond despite the fact that Widow is countered pretty well by a large number of characters; she may lose some games because the enemy team has a good Winston or a good Pharah but she'll trash bad Pharahs and successfully ignore bad Winstons. A good Widow will, however, be summarily wrecked by a good Winston, and since diamond games are more likely to contain a good Winston, things will get more difficult for the Widow, requiring exponentially greater time investment to continue getting away with playing her while being countered by character selection. Meanwhile, the people playing Winston against her only need to play him at a "good" level; they only need to know how to maneuver Winston to counter Widow and force her to get off of high ground, which is a much easier skill to develop than, say, managing hook cooldown to always stay out of Winston's reach, maintaining accuracy while always moving away from Winston, and using positioning to bait Winston into situations he can't handle. Both of these skills are equally pertinent to success in the matchup at this level but it's much easier (and more efficient) to develop the Winston skills than the Widow skills.

Diamond is an arbitrary goalpost that I picked because I think it's much more difficult to get to than plat, but the point is that at some point it becomes more efficient and reliable to invest your effort into multiple characters than it is to continue playing a single character. At some point you will start being effectively countered more often than you effectively rebuke your counters.

LiK

Heh, watching Sty video about people throwing games in spawn.

Which is why you should always be good with one hero from each class so you can flex. I'm proficient with 2 heroes in each class so I have no problem switching around. It's my teammates I'm worried about and who they pick.

Nothing can be done if they choose someone they're not that good with and keep dying.

I played a solo queue match the other night in QP where at about three minutes left I checked our team comp and we had no healers - I was Roadhog and another guy was Soldier and that was all the healing we had.

We won.

Now yeah yeah, it's QP and basically a crapshoot but the other team was running two tanks, two DPS, and two healers and still lost to our 4 DPS 2 Tank team. Obviously it's not smart to try that in comp but people playing support just because you need a support can end with disastrous results.

Like in this thread a lot of support mains always complain about Genjis on the other side of the map yelling for healing - people who don't know how to properly support might try to fly to him to heal and then get wrecked. So what good are they doing if they're just filling the slot and dying without healing anyone?

Ideally you get with a stack of six where people know how to play support and want to play it. Obviously with solo queue it's a grab bag, but in solo queue I'd rather go support myself if the rest of the team goes their best characters (and they all happen to be DPS). It's the people who choose DPS and cannot play with them for shit that bother me.

LiK

When it comes to GAF stacks on PS4, we have no trouble getting people to play Support. Everyone wants to play them.

I'm convinced the grind from 2500 to 3500 is pure RNG. There's only so much you can do by yourself. The amount of randomness in these competitive games outweigh any contribution you make. The only exception is if you hard carry on a DPS. That said I think playing the meta is useless until you're in Masters. Most people under 3000 will be better off playing their best character.

The game is Rock Paper Scissors. People need to learn how to throw more than just a rock or you're just not good at the game. Everyone should have a few mains..

The game is Rock Paper Scissors. People need to learn how to throw more than just a rock or you're just not good at the game. Everyone should have a few mains..

I agree.

What I found that helps the most is having about 4 to 6 characters you're good at and swapping accordingly. Being able to play a hit scan, Rein, Winston, and Ana will usually cover most bases.

Being a one trick will severely limit your ability to turn games.

I had 41 Elims as Lucio in that final Numbani game, and Ruler had 42, which was gold with like 55% kill participation. I wanted to win that one bad.

I will pick Lucio every single time if no one else on the team does. Even if it makes us have four supports. On Eichenwalde I switched to him at the last checkpoint in the first round and still had gold healing when the round ended. He's SO good.

I always get worried when someone else picks Mercy and ranked and I have to fill with another support.

They've usually a lot worse than me as Mercy, and playing mostly hitscan dps, I find that I can't hit anything with Zen/Ana lol.

Top Bottom