• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Because she'd go back to being worthless otherwise. Pharah is not underpowered for still being able to die while using her ult.

I have no idea about Junkrat. I feel his Mayhem buff did a lot for him since now he now doesn't have to worry about dying to his own bullshit, but he still has what I consider the worst ult in the game. Edit: Any Junk mains want to tell me what they think of his place in the game right now?

But my point is, ultimately, while having a 'consistent' set of rules for all heroes to abide by would be nice, the real goal is here is balance. To that end, many heroes have unique abilities that aren't granted to others. Only Genji has his cooldown reset if he gets an elimination for no reason that I can tell, for example. Only Genji and Tracer and Lucio have a faster base speed than others. Only Soldier has an ability that has no cooldown. Why? Because the powers that be decided that those were breaks in the 'rules' of the game that helped keep those heroes competitive and fun.

You can disagree, I certainly disagree with a lot of changes Blizzard makes (*glares at Soldier 76*), but mercies were being slaughtered before. With the invincibility, they are a major priority on the battlefield and I feel the game is better for it, even if they can be really annoying sometimes.
Good post. Soldier having a cooldown on Sprint would be hilarious and bad.

I'd like to see Reaper's speed increased to the Genji/Tracer/Lucio tier to help offset his obligate close quarter combat.

I'd like to see Reaper's speed increased to the Genji/Tracer/Lucio tier to help offset his obligate close quarter combat.

That would be scary af.

I wouldn't mind a significant speed increase in wraith form though and also that you could cancel it at will (with a small delay until you could shoot), so he could have more chances to escape when being low health and sneak to his targets faster.

LiK

But I don't want to just be a Mercy.

Is Mercy now to you like Rein is to Owzers? :p

Having people playing S76 is always good :)

We had an awful soldier in lijiang that basically ignored the pharah during all game, frequently rushing to his death without waiting for us. The funny thing is that he had gold damage with a really low number of kills (gold was 23, so he was at that too or lower), their team had a Hog and Winston, I immediately knew what he was shooting at lol.

Haha, yea, Soldier can just shoot barriers forever and get gold damage so it's a really lame medal to get. I'll join you guys again soon. Play some Comp before the end of the season.

Wasn't his wraith form supposed to get a buff where it would auto-reload his weapon?

I thought that change was cool.

Yep, it's currently in PTR. It's a decent buff but he's still pretty situational. I still hate suicidal Reapers who charge in for kills.

komaruR

Is Mercy a viable healer now?

I can't get on with any of the others. I'm awful as Lucio, Ana I miss too many shots and with Zenyatta I can't heal hard enough to keep everyone alive.
Mercy is good. Ana just sucks on console because of no ally aim assist to help out the weird tracking movement.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Good post. Soldier having a cooldown on Sprint would be hilarious and bad.

I don't think he needs it the speed increase. Part of his risk/reward is that he should be unmatched with guns in close range. A speed increase means he will be able to kite. A change to secondary should include heal recovery, the reload, and ability to cancel. Basically, wraith form should either be use to escape, or let him re position in the mist quickly.

The biggest issue I feel with Reaper comes from Roadhog. Roadhog currently does the same, but better. Since he has more ranged, same close range damage, more HP, better recover, and the hook. Why have Reaper, then Hog is simply better. I feel like a nerf to his overall damage is needed. Once that happens, Reaper play will pick up a bit more.

I don't think he needs it the speed increase. Part of his risk/reward is that he should be unmatched with guns in close range. A speed increase means he will be able to kite. A change to secondary should include heal recovery, the reload, and ability to cancel. Basically, wraith form should either be use to escape, or let him re position in the mist quickly.

The biggest issue I feel with Reaper comes from Roadhog. Roadhog currently does the same, but better. Since he has more ranged, same close range damage, more HP, better recover, and the hook. Why have Reaper, then Hog is simply better. I feel like a nerf to his overall damage is needed. Once that happens, Reaper play will pick up a bit more.

Why in the world would anyone play Roadhog with a damage nerf? You can't have a character with the slowest firing rate in the game AND make the shots weak.

Besides, Reaper isn't competing for a spot vs. Roadhog. He's competing vs. Soldier, and until people can justify why you would want Reaper over Soldier, he won't get picked.

Cappa

Banned
LMAO

Yeah those were great games.

We had to ditch the random after 3 losses in a row in koth. Being a kamikaze lucio and dying immediately in a lot of team fights isn't exactly ideal, especially when we had batman that was having amazing games as him.
It doesn't surprise me. Glad I left when I did then lol. The dangerous thing about picking up randoms is you don't know how they're going to react in certain situations. So we all pretty much know what to do under certain situations but when he suggested solo healer for triple tank I was extremely concerned about how he was going to do

Then I'll just hear how you guys want me to go back to Mercy because the team can't win without rezzes.
look I know it gets boring playing the same hero God knows the times I'd rather be playing anything else but soldier but the fact is you're probably one of our best players when you play mercy.

I say just suck it up. I mean if we're winning what does it matter :) I noticed a change in our games from the times you were mercy compared to when you were Ana to. I love to play mercy now so if you ever want to play anything else(except Ana) leave me to it!

komaruR

It doesn't surprise me. Glad I left when I did then lol. The dangerous thing about picking up randoms is you don't know how they're going to react in certain situations. So we all pretty much know what to do under certain situations but when he suggested solo healer for triple tank I was extremely concerned about how he was going to do

look I know it gets boring playing the same hero God knows the times I'd rather be playing anything else but soldier but the fact is you're probably one of our best players when you play mercy.

I say just suck it up. I mean if we're winning what does it matter :) I noticed a change in our games from the times you were mercy compared to when you were Ana to. I love to play mercy now so if you ever want to play anything else(except Ana) leave me to it!
Ice cold :p

No I still like playing her.

I just want to drink some Pepsi after drinking Coke for so long.
Drink sprite (zen)

Cappa

Banned
Lol not saying he's horrible with Ana but I personally noticed an improvement in our games when he went mercy.

I'm actually complimenting him alot since I think he's a big part of our wins. I just don't think there's anyone proficient enough in our group to play Ana with a controller. It'd be amazing if there was because her kit is still really really good.

rulerk1

Wild Genji appears
Deflects
dash through you and runs
appears 4 seconds and repeats

doesnt get a single kill all game somehow gets his ults and kills four people. His cooldowns are so dumb especially since one can reset. But Hanzo needed a buff xD

Edit: You guys im Sombra rank #804 in QP! It's time! Yall ready?

I find Ana inconsistent on consoles and sometimes what the rest of the team is using can be a big difference maker, a team full of flankers and aerial fellas like Genji and Pharah make things tougher even if you can heal them at distance.
Meanwhile a more clumped together tank heavy unit works wonders for her I find.

And this is of course before factoring in the player's accuracy for the day, sometimes I'm feeling like a beast, other times I'm just dreadful.
Not that I'm going to butt into what you folks and your stacks choose to play but man sometimes you just want to mix it up after excessive Mercy usage, alas she's so comfortably reliable on console right now.

I-hate-u

Wraith auto-reload is nice, it's not enough. They should make wraith form like Mei's ice block. Maybe increase the wraith form duration to say 5 seconds instead of 3, but have it so that you can instantly wraith out so you wish. That way he can bait out hooks, head shots, etc.

Oh, and he should keep his damn mouth shut and make no noise when shadow stepping.

Skii

But my point is, ultimately, while having a 'consistent' set of rules for all heroes to abide by would be nice, the real goal is here is balance. To that end, many heroes have unique abilities that aren't granted to others. Only Genji has his cooldown reset if he gets an elimination for no reason that I can tell, for example. Only Genji and Tracer and Lucio have a faster base speed than others. Only Soldier has an ability that has no cooldown. Why? Because the powers that be decided that those were breaks in the 'rules' of the game that helped keep those heroes competitive and fun.

Lmao. Genji's entire kit is based on dash reset. That is his character. Imagine Tracer without blinks.

Wasn't his wraith form supposed to get a buff where it would auto-reload his weapon?

I thought that change was cool.

It's the weakest buff they've done to any hero in this game so far. Blizzard clearly misunderstood completely why Reaper isn't being picked and its definitely not because he cant reload in wraith form.

Chance

That would be scary af.

I wouldn't mind a significant speed increase in wraith form though and also that you could cancel it at will (with a small delay until you could shoot), so he could have more chances to escape when being low health and sneak to his targets faster.

A coworker of mine had what I thought was a brilliant idea for Reaper. It's simple:

Wraith Form operates on a meter, a'la Defense Matrix. Can be cancelled, or held for duration, 1 second cooldown.

Yeah, he seemed like a cool dude, but things were just not working out. I can't say I was playing good in those games either, but we were just being steamrolled and I don't know why, I noticed him on the kill-feed because he was basically always the first to die as Lucio before the team fight even began but I can't say that was the only problem.

Anyway, it was a good choice consider we did pretty well as a 4-stack after. We almost won one game in Anubis with a Junkrat/Torb as dps against a pharah lol, ended on a draw 4-4. We had ~2m to cap 1/3 of the point to win but failed, Owzers destroyed them in that game, feels bad :(

Lol not saying he's horrible with Ana but I personally noticed an improvement in our games when he went mercy.

I'm actually complimenting him alot since I think he's a big part of our wins. I just don't think there's anyone proficient enough in our group to play Ana with a controller. It'd be amazing if there was because her kit is still really really good.

You're fucked, he's not gonna rez you again like yesterday on Nepal.

Edit: You guys im Sombra rank #804 in QP! It's time! Yall ready?

Do it. When we were warming up yesterday on QP you destroying them playing as her.

Fugu

I'm not saying she should be invincible, I was just giving an example of a character who is completely out in the open, fresh for picking, when Ulting.

My comment came after being in a game on Ilios where we wiped out three of their heroes on the point, for some reason my team decides to all wander off so I'm there on my lonesome as Lucio, I see their Mercy coming in from the left, I shoot her, I get her energy right down until there's a smidgen left, she Ults, becomes invincible and walks back from where she came, all the time I'm firing and NOTHING. It's utter nonsense. At least have her stand still when Ulting if she must be invincible, there should be enough time for her team to rally around her and make sure she's safe.
So your team wandered off. They really shouldn't do that in this situation. The reason why res was bad before is that teams had the liberty to play pretty loosely and still come out ahead after a res.

Is Mercy a viable healer now?

I can't get on with any of the others. I'm awful as Lucio, Ana I miss too many shots and with Zenyatta I can't heal hard enough to keep everyone alive.
She's more viable than before but she's always been fine for comp. I got pretty far up playing almost exclusively as her in previous seasons.

The main thing that's changed is that she's a lot better on KotH now that she doesn't die every time she resses.

Cth

I have no idea about Junkrat. I feel his Mayhem buff did a lot for him since now he now doesn't have to worry about dying to his own bullshit, but he still has what I consider the worst ult in the game. Edit: Any Junk mains want to tell me what they think of his place in the game right now?

Junkrat's my main, but I don't treat him like a solo artist if that makes sense.

Sure, there's times on 3x3 where I can take out the whole team, but if I can take out one or two, that's my contribution to the team. As far as the Ult. goes, maybe increase the durability of the riptire or make it so the riptire survives after launch if Junkrat is killed (make it continue in a straight line from where it was launched)

I'm very aggressive with Junkrat, getting on top of people that way even if I don't kill them, I have a chance of nabbing them in a trap and Mayhem finishing them off.

Cliff Notes version -- I'm happy for the most part. Sure he's vulnerable like Pharah when doing his ult but it has a 50/50 chance of getting people to scatter (like D-Va's ult). The only drawback is it has a distinct annoucement and it's easy to take out one that's just headed towards you. Junkrat players need to make that thing move unpredictably, jumping, swerving, etc. Maybe boost the speed on it (if need be, nerf the damage in exchange slightly)

komaruR

I find Ana inconsistent on consoles and sometimes what the rest of the team is using can be a big difference maker, a team full of flankers and aerial fellas like Genji and Pharah make things tougher even if you can heal them at distance.
Meanwhile a more clumped together tank heavy unit works wonders for her I find.

And this is of course before factoring in the player's accuracy for the day, sometimes I'm feeling like a beast, other times I'm just dreadful.
Not that I'm going to butt into what you folks and your stacks choose to play but man sometimes you just want to mix it up after excessive Mercy usage, alas she's so comfortably reliable on console right now.
I agree. Smaller ally targets on console is just too much to handle on console without ally aim assist. Big tank heroes is fine tho. Since their hit box are so big that its much easier to hit even without ally aim assist

rulerk1

Yeah, he seemed like a cool dude, but things were just not working out. I can't say I was playing good in those games either, but we were just being steamrolled and I don't know why, I noticed him on the kill-feed because he was basically always the first to die as Lucio before the team fight even began but I can't say that was the only problem.

Anyway, it was a good choice consider we did pretty well as a 4-stack after. We almost won one game in Anubis with a Junkrat/Torb as dps against a pharah lol, ended on a draw 4-4. We had ~2m to cap 1/3 of the point to win but failed, Owzers destroyed them in that game, feels bad :(

You're fucked, he's not gonna rez you again like yesterday on Nepal.

Do it. When we were warming up yesterday on QP you destroying them playing as her.

she is one of the few dps heroes i am actually confident with. unless Mei counts as DPS

A coworker of mine had what I thought was a brilliant idea for Reaper. It's simple:

Wraith Form operates on a meter, a'la Defense Matrix. Can be cancelled, or held for duration, 1 second cooldown.

Blizzard said that if they made it possible to cancel wraith form they couldn't allow him to fire immediately after assuming physical form since that would make him op (they gave an explanation for this, related to net delay or something, basically you might not have time to react to it).

That sounds like a cool idea, don't know if it would be very useful if he had to wait before firing, but it's all a matter of testing.

she is one of the few dps heroes i am actually confident with. unless Mei counts as DPS

Yeah I'm always fine with Mei, her secondary fire is really good and her ult builds insanely fast.

Chance

Blizzard said that if they made it possible to cancel wraith form they couldn't allow him to fire immediately after assuming physical form since that would make him op (they gave an explanation for this, related to net delay or something, basically you might not have time to react to it).

That sounds like a cool idea, don't know if it would be very useful if he had to wait before firing, but it's all a matter of testing.

D.Va can instantly fire after defense matrix, and the Genji/Hanzo buff on the PTR essentially grants them the same thing they're saying they can't allow on Reaper...

No, no - this whole thing smacks of favoritism!

D.Va can instantly fire after defense matrix, and the Genji/Hanzo buff on the PTR essentially grants them the same thing they're saying they can't allow on Reaper...

D.Va can't instantly bring up defense matrix after using it. There is a delay.

komaruR

Dva dont burst dmg. Img dva with hogs scrapgun then. OP enough?

LiK

Can you believe how friggin' OP this would be?

Shoot, wraith, shoot, wraith. No thanks.

DVa doesn't do the same amount of damage as Reaper so it's not a 1:1 comparison.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why in the world would anyone play Roadhog with a damage nerf? You can't have a character with the slowest firing rate in the game AND make the shots weak.

Besides, Reaper isn't competing for a spot vs. Roadhog. He's competing vs. Soldier, and until people can justify why you would want Reaper over Soldier, he won't get picked.

I don't see a character who specializes in point blank close range, competing with another who specializes in Midrange/long. They both maybe DPS, but their counters are almost entirely different. Roadhog is fairly good at the same strengths Reaper is at. Winston, Bastion(So-so here, depending on if he is shielded or not), Mei, tanks, etc. The big difference is Reaper flanks to get close. Roadhog can pull them to him, which is far easier to do. If the other team has Winston tearing up your lines. You typically get Reaper or Hog. Mei? Same thing. If Pharah or Zen is an issue. You're going to go to Soldier. Reaper is not good at all against high mobility units.

Second, his shots don't have to be weak. Simply, I feel Reaper's needs to be stronger since he his only method to get close is putting himself behind enemy lines. Compared to hog, which can pull them right to your line. I'd rather see a Nerf on Hog, who alt fire does have better range than Reaper in general. Making the unequal close range champ.

Even if Hog's damage was nerf, I'd still play him since the Hook is that good for picks and shutting down flankers. It's definitely up there with Zarya's Bubble, Rein's Shield, Genji's Deflect, Ana's Grenade, and Dva Shield as one of the top tier abilities. Since they can shot down so many ults, abilities, etc.

Since Reaper discards his weapons when reloading maybe they could add an alt fire when he throws the weapons at the enemies mid-range, problem solved.

050b5dd13d3df0ca395e7acceb00a931.gif

Since Reaper discards his weapons when reloading maybe they could add an alt fire when he throws the weapons at the enemies mid-range, problem solved.

050b5dd13d3df0ca395e7acceb00a931.gif

Overwatch needs less gun shooting, more gun throwing.

Zarya throws her gun. Winston throws his gun. Pharah throws her missiles. Everyone wins.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can you believe how friggin' OP this would be?

Shoot, wraith, shoot, wraith. No thanks.

DVa doesn't do the same amount of damage as Reaper so it's not a 1:1 comparison.

Defense Matrix also doesn't mitigate all damage. Just projectiles.

Danj

Sigh. I lost 400 SR in one day a few days ago and now I'm stuck in ELO hell, the last game didn't even have anyone on voice chat so of course we lost. 1345 SR now, matchmaking is so bad at this level.

I guess mid-Silver is the limit of what I can aspire to. I'll have to remember that next season and just stop when I get to 1750 instead of trying to get to gold.

If anyone here is interested in completing the nexus challenge of HotS for the OW rewards you can add me: blackgandorf#1443

I really want that overwatch rewards but none of my friends play the game :(

Top Bottom