• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ranking up just isn't fun nor rewarding, it all comes down to the team mate lottery, do you get the people on comms, picking properly or do the get the scum of the earth fuckers who won't talk and won't play the heroes the team needs. I'm now 0 - 4 after going 8 - 0 and it's not because I'm playing any differently, I'm just getting stuck with assholes who refuse to swap.

Blizzard really need to add a system where you need xxx hours on xxx heroes before you're eligible to join competitive.

antitrop

I have 51 hours of playtime and I am only rank 87.

Like, just rank 87.

Not a single star.

Is it supposed to be this slow or am I just awful?

It's supposed to be that slow. Everyone levels up at roughly the same rate (unless you group queue more often for the 20% bonus XP) and it's just an indication of time played, for the most part.

Anne

That's quite a turn around from some of your previous posts a couple months back. I'm curious as to why you feel that way now.

It's been bad for awhile now, but it's the type of thing that kinda snowballs and gets worse over time. Somewhere in the last few weeks the SR system has failed horribly, and as a result there are so many people way higher than they need to be. Game quality at GM ranges form super coordinated and fun stomp fests to absolute fiestas of teams with nothing but support mains.

Like I've been saying for a couple months the SR and ranked system is fucked up. It's just more recently reached a point where I feel there is no point in fucking with it.

As far as my thoughts on elo hell and fucked SR at lower levels though that still stands. In fact I think SR is so easy to get via various methods that if you're not at least Master you're just playing the system wrong.

komaruR

You already did.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Keasar

It's supposed to be that slow. Everyone levels up at roughly the same rate (unless you group queue more often for the 20% bonus XP) and it's just an indication of time played, for the most part.

It just feels like a complete chore. Requires so many matches of self-torture to gain one level and get then one box. There were new skins to get during the Uprising event, a couple that I did want, and the only way I could get them was to spend money as earning the lootboxes through play was too slow (even with arcade) considering how many duplicates of worthless crap I got. Like 4 Tracer skins. Same, bloody, skin.

Nimby

Banned
I'm still here...

I do plan on getting a PC for this game though. Something cheaper, but that's like at least end of the year type of thing.

It just feels like a complete chore. Requires so many matches of self-torture to gain one level and get then one box. There were new skins to get during the Uprising event, a couple that I did want, and the only way I could get them was to spend money as earning the lootboxes through play was too slow (even with arcade) considering how many duplicates of worthless crap I got. Like 4 Tracer skins. Same, bloody, skin.

Huh, i started playing in the middle of the event with 2 weeks left and by the end of it i was at like level 34 i think. I ended up getting every skin of the event except for orisa, genji and mercy. I didnt get a duplicate once thankfully.

As someone that hasn't bought and never will buy a loot crate, getting 10 boxes next week will feel weird.

Shouta

Been getting back into the groove the last few days because I haven't been able to play much. I did my ranking matches even the season is probably ending soon but I got placed at 2700 despite starting out at like 3100 last season and topping out near 3300. Oof. At least I'll get to start over soon.

Plat/Diamond/on the way master still seems like bad dps hell. I can't even get a chance to DPS because the bad ones don't want to change. =(

I mean I can do tank a d support just fine but I want to polish the offense more.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's been bad for awhile now, but it's the type of thing that kinda snowballs and gets worse over time. Somewhere in the last few weeks the SR system has failed horribly, and as a result there are so many people way higher than they need to be. Game quality at GM ranges form super coordinated and fun stomp fests to absolute fiestas of teams with nothing but support mains.

Like I've been saying for a couple months the SR and ranked system is fucked up. It's just more recently reached a point where I feel there is no point in fucking with it.

As far as my thoughts on elo hell and fucked SR at lower levels though that still stands. In fact I think SR is so easy to get via various methods that if you're not at least Master you're just playing the system wrong.
I mean you may as well be describing Diamond.

Been getting back into the groove the last few days because I haven't been able to play much. I did my ranking matches even the season is probably ending soon but I got placed at 2700 despite starting out at like 3100 last season and topping out near 3300. Oof. At least I'll get to start over soon.

Plat/Diamond/on the way master still seems like bad dps hell. I can't even get a chance to DPS because the bad ones don't want to change. =(

I mean I can do tank a d support just fine but I want to polish the offense more.

Dat's where I've been for like 3 seasons now lol.

High plat, not willing enough to be toxic and demand the roles I want so I've been flex picking and apparently that's bad for your SR.

Veelk

Banned
As far as I know only hypermina, pooh & myself are the only ones with interest for transitioning "soon".

PS4 GAF is far from dead. Plus, we're not completely abandoning the system! PS4 is life! But the PC version is better...

I'll definitely get PC Overwatch as soon as I upgrade, but I'm upset at the number of event skins I'll have to leave behind. It feels really, really cheap for Blizzard not to allow skin transference between platforms. There's no reason for it except to tempt the player into paying for lootboxes a second time.

But really, I'd be able to deal with it if it weren't for all the skins that are locked in by events. Because of that, there are skins I won't get back until Blizzard decides to make them available again, which might be never.

komaruR

As far as I know only hypermina, pooh & myself are the only ones with interest for transitioning "soon".

PS4 GAF is far from dead. Plus, we're not completely abandoning the system! PS4 is life! But the PC version is better...

Pooh sounds like abandon tho in discord! somewhat you too!

Architect Log #34220B

My squad and I were unsuccessful in defending the first point on Anubis. In a desperate attempt, we fell back to the second point. I deployed my turrets in a defensive position and set up my shield generator in a relatively safe spot.

Our Orisa held the point bravely, as did my pocket Mercy and the rest of the team. Seizing an opportunity, I flanked to the enemy rear lines and killed the fuck out of their healers, Ana and Lucio, repeatedly. I even hunted down Hanzo a few times for the lolz.

Even though I perished a few times, I always took them down with me. Frightened for their lives, the enemy team fell back, allowing my team to take charge and push towards the temple doors.

We won. In the aftermath, the enemy team tried communicating with me.

"Fuk u sym"
"sym is useless"
"omg I hate sym"

I smirk as I drink my tea. Order has been restored.

-Symmetra

DevilDog

Architect Log #34220B

My squad and I were unsuccessful in defending the first point on Anubis. In a desperate attempt, we fell back to the second point. I deployed my turrets in a defensive position and set up my shield generator in a relatively safe spot.

Our Orisa held the point bravely, as did my pocket Mercy and the rest of the team. Seizing an opportunity, I flanked to the enemy rear lines and killed the fuck out of their healers, Ana and Lucio, repeatedly. I even hunted down Hanzo a few times for the lolz.

Even though I perished a few times, I always took them down with me. Frightened for their lives, the enemy team fell back, allowing my team to take charge and push towards the temple doors.

We won. In the aftermath, the enemy team tried communicating with me.

"Fuk u sym"
"sym is useless"
"omg I hate sym"

I smirk as I drink my tea. Order has been restored.

-Symmetra

I have taken you opinion under advisement

Shahadan

"three tanks is good in CTF actually"
"People don't get CTF, nothing gets done without multiple tanks"

*proceeds to lose in a record time against a team with zero tanks*

I laughed

Man, when I click with Winston, I really click. Me and a Tracer together saved a 99% point on Nepal and that swing turned it around for a 100-99 victory.

I love it when two-three players focus on trying to kill me while they're away from the point, so it's actually a 5-3 on the point and my team mops them up.

How about memorial day weekend?

You down PS4 Gaf?

I don't have any plans for that weekend yet so I should be okay for it.

Is anyone on? I assume Owzers is watching game 7, I probably will too unless we can get a good group.

I'm around but I may switch over to Prey in a bit. Not really feeling like playing QP tonight.

I'll definitely get PC Overwatch as soon as I upgrade, but I'm upset at the number of event skins I'll have to leave behind. It feels really, really cheap for Blizzard not to allow skin transference between platforms. There's no reason for it except to tempt the player into paying for lootboxes a second time.

But really, I'd be able to deal with it if it weren't for all the skins that are locked in by events. Because of that, there are skins I won't get back until Blizzard decides to make them available again, which might be never.

http://imgur.com/a/AK4ok

Technically impossible according to this friendly dev but who knows /shrug

HMD

Okay, I have a confession to make. In the beginning of season 3 I felt hopeless, my rank wasn't rising and I felt stuck in plat/gold forever, I didn't feel like the games I played made me improve my skills because I felt everyone I played against was just as clueless as I am and improving my mechanical skills (aim) seemed like the only way to escape out of that "elo hell" which was hard to do when team comps in plat/gold are mostly awful with no healers/tanks, so playing DPS was just asking to lose and I was always stuck as the sole healer. One of my best friends is a top 500 player, and his gf was stuck in plat like me, so he offered to sign in into her account and basically boost her to a higher rank and he offered to carry me at the same time, I was hesitant at first but I remembered how much I hated the team comps in lower ranks and how much I despised solo healing 5 dps characters, so I agreed.

And in no time my friend who is the best Zarya I've ever seen, got us into a massive win streak that got me from gold into masters in 2 days. And this is where everything changed, because while playing with my friend I realized how much I SUCKED at healing, I always blamed my teammates for not defending me or watching out for flankers that I never considered that I might be the problem, I was playing stupidly, I was ignoring the enemy team and getting hard tunnel vision whenever I needed to focus a target, I was right in the middle of battles with my teammates, I never stayed back or got a full view of the team, I was always right behind our tank or dps, and I died A LOT which is always my team's fault according to gold rank me. And this is where I started to improve RAPIDLY, in no time I started to consistently win games as a master's rank in solo queue and I felt like I was making a difference, and I really was, my clutch revives or Lucio ults/boops felt impactful. And this is where I decided to start mastering the art of DPS, I knew the rapid improvement I experienced with support characters will probably happen again, and it did! I'm still improving but thanks to my disproportionately high rank I'm improving and learning FAST, a lot faster than if I was still stuck in plat or gold.

I guess my point is, the best way to improve fast in Overwatch is to play in a rank that is MUCH higher than your actual skill level, you will get destroyed and you will get frustrated but every death will be a learning experience for you, and you will improve in no time.

Anyway this was before I knew smurfing was a thing, so I really do not condone "boosting" but I'm just saying that this negative thing had a positive impact on me, and it should be looked into by blizzard, perhaps a mode where one lower rank player can be matched with and against high MMR players in QP occasionally or something.

Veelk

Banned
http://imgur.com/a/AK4ok

Technically impossible according to this friendly dev but who knows /shrug

I see.

I feel there has to be some way for htem to know. Like build in secret achievements that activate that activate for each cosmetic. If you get them, then you have the item, and the PC server unlocks it on that side of the account.

But yeah, it looks like that's not happening. Annoying, but...oh well.

MG310

Down a bit today.

Had a GIbraltar attack where I had gold healing with Zen over a Mercy, and gold eliminations/objective kills over McCree,Soldier,Junkrat, and Winston.

Ended with a Lijiang where our team had Widowmaker,Torb, and Hanzo in which we could kill 5 of them but never contest the point because 3 of our characters were not going on it most of the time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Went 8 - 0, then 0 - 5 and nearly lost all the rating I gained, trying to rank solo/duo is fucking insanity, there's always that one guy with 50 hours on one hero and 0 on the rest.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Went 8 - 0, then 0 - 5 and nearly lost all the rating I gained, trying to rank solo/duo is fucking insanity, there's always that one guy with 50 hours on one hero and 0 on the rest.

That guy was on the other team for the first 8 games :^)

Top Bottom