• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Guys, I remember back when people took Reaper seriously and people were serious about maining him. I don't miss those days.

I hated it. "Tank killer" was a meme and it seemed like he was always used to just sneak behind the team then kill me as support.

Never buff Reaper.

Anne

The old deathblossom drop down from the last point on King's Row also happened during some match last week. It seemed okay as long as you get the mercy + others.

It's just okay. Like I said, it's gimmicky. Setting that up and then relying on forcing a fight vs D.Va with it is kinda ludicrous in all honesty, but it only has to work once so you can hail mary it. Very high tier teams will try to sniff that out and engage on you before it can happen. Sometimes it also requires a hero swap to deal with better too. If teams are holding onto ults or don't have a Genji/McCree to deal with it, it can be kinda awkward.

If a team is ready to challenge it quickly though it usually falls apart. The only semi-consistent one I've seen is the Sombra one, because if you somehow manage to set it up things get all sorts of whacky.

At the end of the day though he's still a shit tank killer and awful at fighting. Those ult gimmicks are mad hilarious though.

Anne

Lots of good stuff for analysts from APEX tonight. Flash Lux is like a textbook case of a lot of common and super obvious failures to learn from. BK Stars and EnvyUs both using a lot of diff strats to talk about.

Anne

Looks versatile.

If you ignore Taimou's horrific Pharah play and the lack of Genji :p

I wanna see them go against a truly versatile team like KDP. A team that can run basically anything at any time would be a real test for them. What they have right now is v strong, but it's still "off-meta" more often than expected due to hero pool issues.

LiK

Who's ready for Comp tomorrow? I know I am.

Also, totally got used to my new Scuf controller's sticks so my aiming has been on point again. It was a bit shaky the first few days after I got it but all good now. Need to stack up.

I hated it. "Tank killer" was a meme and it seemed like he was always used to just sneak behind the team then kill me as support.

Never buff Reaper.

Nah, he definitely needs something because he's meh at best at the moment. When Ana's ult gave speedboost, he was crucial. But every game would boil down to when you'd get the NanoBlossom. But they fixed that so you have to wait for the Nanoblade now.

On Seagull's stream, someone mentioned that his Wraith form should allow him to climb walls, as an idea for a buff that's alternative to the normal toggle/cancel buff idea. That seemed interesting.

I played on PC throughout the weekend. And damnnnn does it feel good. Some characters are obvious, like McCree and Ana, but some surprised me. I played a round as Mercy at the insistence of someone on Pharah, and she plays much smoother to me.

On the flip side, I haven't gotten the feel for Tracer yet. I'm too twitchy, I feel. I can track my shots fairly well, but my movement is so shitty. It's like the inverse my console Tracer. The same goes for Winston. I've got the "feel" for his jumps with a controller.

I'm probably going to buy the PC version now. I'm loving Ana (like, a lot a lot) but I can't play comp with randos with her. Too much reliance on your team not being brain dead. Roadhog will probably be my solo go-to.

_Legacy_

Reaper is garbo-tier. He gets shut down far too easily and very simple to spot when he's getting ready for ult. Time has passed and you can't see enemy Reaper fighting? He's either above or lurking somewhere, waiting to ult.

As Soldier, I just run around looking for him hiding knowing he has ult and force him to flee or kill him if he's unaware. My teams usually feature a Hog, so he knows to get his hook ready for the inevitable ult.

This season, I think I have only ever seen him in KOTH and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a multikill ult. I'd run out of hands counting the amount I've seen someone switch from a Reaper though. In his current state, he's just not that good.

Also, totally got used to my new Scuf controller's sticks so my aiming has been on point again. It was a bit shaky the first few days after I got it but all good now. Need to stack up.

I am.

Gonna go so badly. Had a good start to season, apocalyptically awful middle, and a good end. If I get Diamond out of placements I will be super happy. I don't seem to have the luck (or skill? Tbh) to get my Mercy beyond Diamond.

LiK

I am.

Gonna go so badly. Had a good start to season, apocalyptically awful middle, and a good end. If I get Diamond out of placements I will be super happy. I don't seem to have the luck (or skill? Tbh) to get my Mercy beyond Diamond.

Better ask Antitrop here for advice. Dude got to GM primarily as Mercy.

LAM09

I am. Just got to endure placement matches before the real fun begins.

I'm totally ready to be placed in Gold again. But this season I'm going to fight my way to Diamond!
Or down to Bronze.

Reaper is garbo-tier. He gets shut down far too easily and very simple to spot when he's getting ready for ult. Time has passed and you can't see enemy Reaper fighting? He's either above or lurking somewhere, waiting to ult.

As Soldier, I just run around looking for him hiding knowing he has ult and force him to flee or kill him if he's unaware. My teams usually feature a Hog, so he knows to get his hook ready for the inevitable ult.

This season, I think I have only ever seen him in KOTH and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a multikill ult. I'd run out of hands counting the amount I've seen someone switch from a Reaper though. In his current state, he's just not that good.

I think Reaper is like Bastion right now where he can work as a surprise pick if people aren't expecting him, but once you know he's there he's pretty easy to stuff. It's sad because I enjoyed playing him during the season 1/season 2 heyday but man he sucks to work with now.

Jellie

Better ask Antitrop here for advice. Dude got to GM primarily as Mercy.
If I recall, anti said he got to 3700 on mercy but theb had to learn the other supports because he couldn't just mercy from that point. Think he mainly plays ana and zen now based on what he plays at the in house.

LiK

If I recall, anti said he got to 3700 on mercy but theb had to learn the other supports because he couldn't just mercy from that point. Think he mainly plays ana and zen now based on what he plays at the in house.

iirc, he flexes between Supports but Mercy was def his main when he reached GM. I'll let him clarify.

antitrop

Reddit is warming up their nerf train with Mercy as its primary target. God speed Mercy mains...
Fine with me. I was calling for a Mercy ult charge nerf months and months ago.

I barely even play Mercy in Comp anymore. Only with a Pharah or 2CP Defense.

Seagull has been talking for months about his ideal change to Mercy's ult, which would be to make it so that the ult is a targeted ability that only resurrects one person in the team, but in return it charges much, much faster. Tbh the way he describes it and the more I think about it the more sense it makes. It would still be a really useful ult as one single person can easily change a team fight entirely, and it could even result in the Mercy using it two or three times in one single long team fight.

A lot of people probably disagree with it, but imo it could work.

If they nerf Mercy I'd probably quit the game, especially when theres so many other characters in need of tweaks/buffs just to fit in the meta/not be shit.

Also I'm probably gonna take a note from last season and wait a week or so to place for all the shenanigans to settle. Plus I love pissing Masters and GMs off by getting placed in their matches as a rankless.

Seems reasonable. Most games are won or lost around her ult.

The exact same can be said for many ults tbh. Look at Zarya's and Genji's ults, for instance. Zarya's ult is the single easiest way to close out a 2CP map, and a Genji ult in the right hands has won many games.

Jellie

The exact same can be said for many ults tbh. Look at Zarya's and Genji's ults, for instance. Zarya's ult is the single easiest way to close out a 2CP map, and a Genji ult in the right hands has won many games.
Comparing the longest charging ult in the game to the shortest. Sure grav is strong and game winning but requires follow up and takes a long time to charge up and has easier counterplay. Genji has counterplay to his ultimate. Both of these ults take much more skill and thought than rez. Mercys counterplay is kill her first or save ults which is harder to organise in a solo queue environment.

Only real issue I have with Mercy is that on console her healing so easily outpaces every other option for a single healer (good luck getting two healers in QP!) that she sometimes feels like the only option.

Of course there's valid points in that the rest are more combat capable and Ana in particular can be a healing machine provided the player is good enough but she's way more hit and miss so most of my friends dare not even try. I'm thinking the solution here is MORE HEALERS but that'll take an age to happen.

Oh and yeah the Rez does build too fast, I figure that's something we can all agree on.

AbaFadi

Banned
Mercy is way more effective on console than she is on pc I think. I think Ana is the better support between the two, but since it's harder to aim on console, Ana isn't really seen these days. A good mercy is definitely annoying to play against.

Anne

I don't think most games are won or lost around rez like that. Rez can have a lot of impact, but the counterplay to it is too real to rely on to be a big decider of shit.

Antitrop basically has the right idea about it. Mercy is only really all that good if Pharah is on the team. It's why all the GM players bitch about Mercy endlessly. She feels really awful to have on your team most of the time.

I kinda like the ideas like what Seagull has going on. Big rez is fucking bad and shitty at high level, and at low level people can't deal with it. I would rather the ult just be reworked at this point so it stops being this huge "noob trap." The fact the optimal way to use rez is to do 1-2 man early rez is kinda this thing people can't seem to figure out.

Is it advisable to wait to do placements when a new season starts? If yes, how long?

2 or 3 days. Just absolutely avoid day 1 placements. Season 3 day 1 I had a teammate called trollbjorn who torbed on an koth map, and just jumped off the cliff all game. Another game I had a sym on koth making teles near ledges and watching people fall to their death

Top Bottom