• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Russia and China. The destroyers of international cooperation.
I'm quite sure Russia has reasons to attack Syria themselves. And if we can't cooperate with them, we would just need to tell Russia we're withdrawing everybody from Syria so they can take on Syria and the West does Iraq.
China will not protest too loudly if Russia and the US combine forces. China doesn't often use its veto, and even less when it stands alone.

What would it take to eradicate ISIS?

You can't attack an idea. It's not a conventional military force.

The best you can do is make life harder for them by hitting their leaders, the sources of income etc. But that won't prevent ISIS sympathizers from France of the UK or anywhere from buying some weapons on the black market or open market and then then going on a rampage somewhere where there lots of soft targets.

You can't bomb that, you can't invade that. There is no easy fix.

chrizzz09

What would it take to eradicate ISIS?

Cut their main money income. Find the countries and states who finance them and burn them, change the western worlds main energy resource from oil to renewable energy.

Devalue the oil prices so it is worth nothing and all those groups "black gold" will be "black dirt".

Slaythe

Glad you are ok!

I'm just realizing now that I had lunch right next to the Charonne/Faidherbe corner on thursday because there was no reservation yesterday night.

And now I have to somehow explain to my daughter why we won't go out this week-end.

I got back in Paris yesterday, I was visiting my mom. I had two choices for my train, either early morning (7h) or late night.
My condition of struggling artist led me the cheapest option, which was early morning.

This is surreal to think one choice could have led to absolutely catastrophic results. That's the case for everything in life, but when it's so dark and takes place so close to you, you really start to think.

Those "Recherche" tweets are killing me. Looking for missing people. Between the actual deaths and the wounded, I can't even imagine the nightmare they are going through.

I want help, I just feel powerless and I hate it.

they re not oppressed because they are not following a "special religion"
they are following the same religion as everyone else
but they interpret it differently..the focal point is that,interpretation..because what they teach is written in paper in the quran..but here are the muslims that know that the quran must not be interpreted literally,that it was written i reflexion of its times,and people that instead decide to be really militant and literal about it
same things happen to the bible actually...hell we have many countries where gay marriage is still illegal just because of some parts of the bible..so it's not like the west it's totally free from influence by religion

Oh yeah sure. I can agree with that.
but here are the muslims that know that the quran must not be interpreted literally
And I know them and I'd high five every one of them if I could.
But even with that statement you can single out Islam among other monotheistic religions because that book by its definition is straight up god's word so it's easier for extreme interpretation to flourish which brings me to my initial argument that the religion at hand is not just like any other religion with all other things being equal (even when blacking out other variables such as historic context).

But again, I don't feel comfortable debating it in this thread and tbh don't think I'd gain a new perspective from doing so elsewhere. But if people feel the need I'd suggest to create a dedicated topic where the background of terrorism by self-identified Muslims can be argued about.

TheOddOne

- THR: Paris Attacks: ISIS Claims Responsibility.
In a statement, released in French and Arabic, the Islamic State said that “soldiers of Caliphate" targeted the capital of abomination and perversion.” Soldiers of Caliphate is another word for ISIS militants.

"Eight brothers carrying explosive belts and guns targeted areas in the heart of the French capital that were specifically chosen in advance: the Stade de France during a match against Germany which that imbecile Francois Hollande was attending; the Bataclan where hundreds of idolaters were together in a party of perversity as well as other targets in the 10th, 11th and 18th arrondissement."
Jesus.

Russia and China. The destroyers of international cooperation.
While correct that they have prevented action the US has been known to use veto power in the UN Security Council to prevent action as well. Everyone has their interests and have done shady things.
But damn if this isn't a cause we can unite around I am starting to think there might not be one. It is some Watchmen level of threat that would finally rally us all together
(Dr Manhattan or thr original alien threat.)

You can't attack an idea. It's not a conventional military force.

The best you can do is make life harder for them by hitting their leaders, the sources of income etc. But that won't prevent ISIS sympathizers from France of the UK or anywhere from buying some weapons on the black market or open market and then then going on a rampage somewhere where there lots of soft targets.

You can't bomb that, you can't invade that. There is no easy fix.

ISIS isn't an idea. It's a bunch of crazies ruling an actual state, albeit internationally unrecognized.

Joni

ISIS isn't an idea. It's a bunch of crazies ruling an actual state, albeit internationally unrecognized.
That would not cover it. Boko Haram isn't even close to Syria and Iraq. The attack on the Russian plane was in Egypt. Libya isn't exactly free of ISIS influences. You can purge that entire state and not have them all.

Lev

They know how this kind of groups are funded but that mean confronting the Saudis with their activities

This and I think that the West actually benefits from these terrorist groups at times, at least when it comes to proxy wars. If ISIS never existed in Syria, then the United States might never of had a good reason to bomb Syria.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Makes me queasy. Just sick to my stomach. Oh my god.

You can see the guy lying there on his phone... I truly hope he was able to tell his friends and family he loved them one last time

I believe it was stated that this thread should not be a place to just share gruesome media like that. It's horrific, no-one needs to have these images seared into their minds.

Sijil

Wahabbism and Salafism has been in existence for centuries and predates ISIS and AQ. They're akin to Nazism in their supremacist ideology. Much like Nazism and Japanese Imperialism was confronted, outlawed and subdued so must these two ideologies. Unfortunately the country behind those ideology is a US ally.

German police arrested a man (Montenegro origin) some days ago that tried to smuggle explosives and weapons to Paris in a professionally made cache hidden inside his car. They believe him to be part of the circle.
The ugly part is that this arrest happened purely by chance through "Schleierfahndung"
http://www.br.de/nachrichten/schleierfahnder-attentat-paris-100.html

Crazy. Dunno if he is from Montenegro or lived in Germany.

Yeah I posted this already. English source:
German media reported Saturday that a 51-year-old man arrested last week after weapons were discovered in his car has been linked to the Paris attacks.

A spokesman for Bavarian state police confirmed that firearms, explosives and hand grenades had been found when undercover police stopped the suspect near the German-Austrian border on Nov. 5.

"He has refused to say what he planned to do or where the weapons came from," Ludwig Waldinger told The Associated Press. "We are providing no further information at this point."

Public broadcaster Bayrischer Rundfunk reported that German authorities contacted French officials shortly after the arrest. Citing unnamed investigators, the broadcaster reported that documents found during the arrest indicated that the man was traveling to Paris.

Bayrischer Rundfunk reported that the arms, which it said included an automatic rifle and one kilogram of TNT, were professionally hidden inside the body of the car, a VW Golf.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2fa6...dfaca38/latest-france-mobilizes-1500-soldiers

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If ISIS really has claimed responsibility... To use a cliche, I think they might have signed their own death warrant.

Do they not realize they exist by the grace of lack of political will/Iraq+Afghanistan fatigue?

I don't know if this is the event that will motivate full-scale military action against ISIS. But if that time ever comes, they won't do well.

Change the hearts and minds of the people in Iraq/Syria? Probably not. Devastate the Islamic State? The west can do that if they wanted to.

WARNING - NSFL
Footage of hostages escaping Batanclan Theatre during shooting
WARNING - NSFL

Makes me queasy. Just sick to my stomach. Oh my god.

You can see the guy lying there on his phone... I truly hope he was able to tell his friends and family he loved them one last time

Looked like a woman to me, but hard to tell from the video.
Absolutely horrifying.

Also I wish that if a video is in portrait, that they don't add all that other nonsense to the sides when uploading. I have a monitor in portrait mode so I can actually view it bigger on there, but when they add the blown up stuff on the sides it won't work :(

A petty issue all things considered but I was reminded of it now.

Rad Agast

In order to "defeat" ISIS you have to find the various heads of the hydra and chop them off. Then you gotta indoctrinate their followers that everything they did and do is bad and won't bring them further in life and beyond. You can't just show up and tell those people "you bad, pls stop". I think the only way to convince brain-washed people is to brain wash them again. Fight fire with fire. Anyone agree or know a better way? (and please don't post..."yeah how about killing them all" this is stupid)

They attempted correcting them in Kuwait. After roughly 10 years, the same people were involved in the last bombing in Kuwait City.

I'm not convinced that it will ever work.

12208657_10153695940661678_8438520178469040761_n.jpg

ISIS behind it. What a MASSIVE security fail.

All the hyper-surveillance in the world and they never saw this coming.

Chariot

12208657_10153695940661678_8438520178469040761_n.jpg

ISIS behind it. What a MASSIVE security fail.

All the hyper-surveillance in the world and they never saw this coming.
Shit. This was a demonstration of power, wasn't it? An organized massacre under the eyes of the city that said that it wouldn't allow another attack. What does their declaration say, in a gist?

Apparently this was done because of disrespect to the prophet and also because Paris smells. They are beyond infantile in a way.
Perhaps that. But mostly blowback.
Shit. This was a demonstration of power, wasn't it? An organized massacre under the eyes of the city that said that it wouldn't allow another attack. What does their declaration say, in a gist?
Absolutely. Given what we know right now, this was some major, well-planned, and well-executed shit. Very professionally done. Targets chosen with some thought behind it.

Daesh has some deep connections in Paris to pull of some coordinated shit like this.

Majukun

If ISIS really has claimed responsibility... To use a cliche, I think they might have signed their own death warrant.

Do they not realize they exist by the grace of lack of political will/Iraq+Afghanistan fatigue?

I don't know if this is the event that will motivate full-scale military action against ISIS. But if that time ever comes, they won't do well.

Change the hearts and minds of the people in Iraq/Syria? Probably not. Devastate the Islamic State? The west can do that if they wanted to.

if the aticle posted yesterday was right (i take all the infos and explanation i find on the internet as a grain of salt for obvious reasons),an all out war it's what they want,and martyrdom is a blessing for them...so..yes,they totally realize it

IF the west attacks en masse though,it's possible that the number of adherent to the islamic states would increase..since their prophecy talks about the caliphate,and also about the "rome" that will come to crush it

Could have been even worse had that one terrorist managed to get inside the stadium. Between the explosion and the resulting stampede hundreds more could have died.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

"It's an act of war", just said Hollande. Full scale military action is a given. 5 times more ressources will be dedicated to this war now.

Might not be right to ask, but how does ISIS get these 'press releases' out, and every time they do that do they not open themselves up to being traced and found?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
if the aticle posted yesterday was right (i take all the infos and explanation i find on the internet as a grain of salt for obvious reasons),an all out war it's what they want,and martyrdom is a blessing for them...so..yes,they totally realize it

IF the west attacks en masse though,it's possible that the number of adherent to the islamic states would increase..since their prophecy talks about the caliphate,and also about the "rome" that will come to crush it
Setting up a brain-dumb self-fulfilling prophecy won't help them in real world terms when they're revealed to be an easily-defeatable flash in the pan that emerged when the world was too tired to monitor the kitchen.

Rome. Yawn. What a cliche.

Sijil

Another motivation for this attack would competition with AQ for influence over the Jihadi groups. The last attack in Paris was by AQ, this could be ISIS trying to flex international muscle to overshadow AQ since both groups, although they share the same Wahabbi ideology, are in a power struggle. AQ targets Charlie Hebdo, ISIS shows off with attack Russia, Beirut and Paris in less than a week.

Could have been even worse had that one terrorist managed to get inside the stadium. Between the explosion and the resulting stampede hundreds more could have died.
That's the part that gets me; something happened to prevent that attacker from carrying out their plan. What happened? And thank goodness it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom