• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
He said they were losing ground. Which is true from basically all fronts in Syria and Iraq.

What does holding ground have to do with anything when you can strike anywhere at anytime? In the past two week ISIS has killed more than 200 people. Not including this terrorist act. The Obama administration either doesn't have a clue how to handle this, or doesn't want to. And neither the press or public has held his feet to the fire on it.

What does holding ground have to do with anything when you can strike anywhere at anytime? In the past two week ISIS has killed more than 200 people. Not including this terrorist act. The Obama administration either doesn't have a clue how to handle this, or doesn't want to. And neither the press or public has held his feet to the fire on it.

You were discussing a quote, we provided context for that quote and why he said it. What exactly is your problem?

The full quote shows he fully admits that they haven't done enough to the command and control structure of the group.

the US has the biggest air force in the area right now, no one even comes close, if they could get the kurds and themselves cooperating with the syrian army and the russians this whole thing could be over in a year.

Why would the Kurds allied themselves with a the Sunni opposition? The Kurds are an ethnicity that have always been treated like shit by the Sunnis (even though Kurds are Sunnis as well) and the Shiites only because they are not Arab. The kurds of Syria and Iraq aren't fighting for any other thing that their own independence. And I don't think Turkey will want a Kurdstan nation at their southern border when they already have several Kurds that would want to start a revolution themselves and join that nation.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

nillah

Banned
Manuel Valls (Prime Minister) just said on TV that they're going to strike back, as hard as we've been hit.
nXBz6.gif

You can't contain ISIS when NAZI INFLUENCE has cast its beliefs and hatred over 500,000 in a brotherhood dating back to the 1920's.

Nazi influence is still prevalent in the middle east. If a country like Israel can thrive in that region why can't others?

Of course you can. Education is the most powerful weapon against ignorance. I acknowledge that not everyone has the possibility to get an education, but if the vast majority get an education, the effect of radicalism will be much less significant that it is today.

Well if their aim was to whip up anti-refugee sentiment this is the way to go about it:

He also said a Syrian passport, belonging to a man born in 1990 who was not known to the French authorities, had been found lying close by the bodies of two other jihadis, who both blew themselves up in the course of their attacks.

Greece’s citizen protection minister, Nikos Toskas, said earlier that that the passport’s owner had entered the European Union through the Greek island of Leros on 3 October, adding: “We do not know if the passport was checked by other countries through which the holder likely passed.”

A government official in Athens told the Guardian: “We found the serial number and we found the finger prints and palm prints that are also taken [from every refugee].” But he warned against “automatically concluding” that the passport holder was the assailant.

“It is now up to the French authorities to match those finger prints with the remains of the body of the attacker, and announce the identity,” the official said. “Either this person passed through Greece posing as a refugee, or along the way he bought or stole the passport. At this stage either scenario is possible.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/14/syrian-greece-refugee-paris-attacks-killers

Always the same shit after every catastrophe, it's getting pretty annoying.

I can't quite put my finger on why the FB 'flag' pictures irritate me. The people doing it are good, moral people, or so I believe. It's heartfelt, but it feels... cheap? to me. I can't quite articulate it.

You're religious, you believe in an omnipotent all-knowing invisible being in the sky and you're defense against facts is a hagiography written by another muslim. Ehm.

Why is my believe in something a negative in this entire event? You are again framing my belief as a moderate as an 'issue' thus casting a bad light on all Muslim not just the extremists. Why? What does my belief have to do with what terrorists did ?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Why is it that the conversation always comes down to sullying a person revered by all Muslims to get back at the few Muslims. Most Muslims don't believe the framing of the issues and events of Muhammad but you do and extremists do , why is that

What Muhammad is or was is almost irrelevant. He likely was a warlord and pedophile among other terrible things.

That doesn't mean we should generalize what Muslims believe

So while i agree with the sentiment, we can't deny facts either.

What Muhammad is or was is almost irrelevant. He likely was a warlord and pedophile among other terrible things.

That doesn't mean we should generalize what Muslims believe

So while i agree with the sentiment, we can't deny facts either.

Im pretty sure this will be looked at as an attack on the way of living of Muslims as they are told to follow all the examples of the Holy Prophet but let's see if anyone disagrees with you on your perverted views or if it's left alone as an accepted view by most in the west

DarkTom

Hi GAF, another awful time in France, 2015 is such a black year for my country.

Damn I'm so ashamed of humanity sometimes. I was devastated this morning. Now I'm angry, I'm a calm and pacific person and they make me want the french army to destroy them.

I'm gonna have a child in this damned world soon. I have a 3-days training course planned in Paris next Tuesday. I will probably cancel it because my wife is too worried, and I don't want her to be too much stressed while pregnant.
I hate that those crazy fools kinda won on this.
Damned it's so fucked up.

Thoughts to the families of course, thanks for the support from all over the world.

Using the deaths of hundred for narcissistic self promotion. Could be that.
I don't think that applies to everyone who does it. Some people might feel so helpless that something as small as that is the least they could do, even if it means nothing in the end. I haven't done it to my profile but I think some people do it with good intentions.

Snake

Because he was talking about the actual territorial holdings of ISIS in Iraq and Syria. That's literally exactly what he was talking about. The ability of a small group of people to shoot up a public area has nothing to do with an organization's size and capability as a de facto state.

But you're absurdly turning a terrorist attack in France into a partisan attack on the President of the United States so I know it's fruitless to debate this with you.

KooopaKid

Banned
This is absolutely essential reading for anyone even remotely interested in knowing what fuels the actions of Islamic State.

Thanks for sharing. I hope everyone in this thread reads this. Truly sheds light on what is going on over there.

Interesting read but why do we really care what their ideology is? Did we have to care about the Nazi ideology before doing something?
No, we have to address the root of the problem, and that problem is the ones that are financing ISIS.

Why is it that the conversation always comes down to sullying a person revered by all Muslims to get back at the few Muslims. Most Muslims don't believe the framing of the issues and events of Muhammad but you do and extremists do , why is that

historical figures who walked the Earth and changed history are historical figures who have left behind records and facts on their imprint as historical figures.

He was a man, and had a history

Im pretty sure this will be looked at as an attack on the way of living of Muslims as they are told to follow all the examples of the Holy Prophet but let's see if anyone disagrees with you on your perverted views or if it's left alone as an accepted view by most in the west

how is that an attack on Muslims?

I can hold that view and not think any less of people who follow the religion, just like how I don't think Christians are evil because the bible had stoning women in it.

Hardly a perverted view.

historical figures who walked the Earth and changed history are historical figures who have left behind records and facts on their imprint are historical figures.

He was a man, and a history

And a rewritten history which you accept over which most Muslims accept. That's like Russians bawking at a founding father and accepting a rewritten history and you countering it

nillah

Banned
Hi GAF, another awful time in France, 2015 is such a black year for my country.

Damn I'm so ashamed of humanity sometimes. I was devastated this morning. Now I'm angry, I'm a calm and pacific person and they make me want the french army to destroy them.

I'm gonna have a child in this damned world soon. I have a 3-days training course planned in Paris next Tuesday. I will probably cancel it because my wife is too worried, and I don't want her to be too much stressed while pregnant.
I hate that those crazy fools kinda won on this.
Damned it's so fucked up.

Thoughts to the families of course, thanks for the support from all over the world.

Don't cancel shit Tom, show some courage at least for your wife

how is that an attack on Muslims?

I can hold that view and not think any less of people who follow the religion, just like how I don't think Christians are evil because the bible had stoning women in it.

Hardly a perverted view.

Wait holding the man whose examples are to be followed as a pedophile and a warlord is not attacking thr way of life of Muslim? Most Muslims don't accept those histrionics , why are you

Hoo-doo

Banned
Interesting read but why do we really care what their ideology is? Did we have to care about the Nazi ideology before doing something?
No, we have to address the root of the problem, and that problem is the ones that are financing ISIS.

Is this a trick question? Yes of-fucking-course you need to have a bit of insight in what moves these people. Are you honestly arguing against that?
Completely misunderstanding IS has already lead to major fuckups in planned intervention and military strategies against them.

You should read the art of war. The first thing you have to do is understand your enemy. Understanding ISIS is the first step towards knowing how to operate against them. Not understanding the region (or understanding to well) is what caused this chaos in the first place. Do you want Syria to turn into Iraq 2.0? Because that is what will happen if NATO invades without a single clue of what to do once Iran and Syria, ISIS, The kurds, and the several Sunnis extremist are gone.

The best you can do is to understand the region as well as you understand your own so you can't be lie to about the things NATO will do in the region. If people knew about the Shia/Sunni/Kurds situation as well as they know their own ethnicity/religion and people in their country, I doubt people would have supported the Iraq invasion or letting a Pro Iran Shia be the PM of Iraq.

DarkTom

Don't cancel shit Tom, show some courage at least for your wife

I'm not afraid myself, but she is. She's almost begging me to not go. I would go for one day but 3 days are too much to handle for her. Pregnant women need support you know. But yeah, that sucks a lot that I have to cancel this.

Wait holding the man whose examples are to be followed as a pedophile and a warlord is not attacking thr way of life or Muslim? Most Muslims don't accept those histrionics , why are you

So holding different opinions on things like religious/historical people, specifically a man who lived over a thousand years ago is an attack on billions of peoples way of life?

With that logic if I said that most of the founding fathers were slave owning shitbags, I'm literally attacking all of America and those who hold it dear.

Sounds pretty delusional to me.

Klyka

Banned
Wait holding the man whose examples are to be followed as a pedophile and a warlord is not attacking thr way of life of Muslim? Most Muslims don't accept those histrionics , why are you

I'd say Muslims have an interest in Mohammed being as clean and presentable as possible, seeing how they,you know, believe in him as their Prophet, while people not part of the religion might care more about the "historic facts" surrounding the man.

So holding different opinions on things like religious/historical people, specifically a man who lived over a thousand years ago is an attack on billions of peoples way of life?

With that logic if I said that most of the founding fathers were slave owning shitbags, I'm literally attacking all of America and those who hold it dear.

Sounds pretty delusional to me.

It's a rewriting of history not a different opinion, your view of Muhammad is completely different to what Muslim history over 1400 years has. Your view is that which was introduced during the crusades to build a battle of ideas between Christianity and Islam and you are accepting this rewritten history over the Muslim version because..... Why ?

rinker

Odd that your previous post condemned another poster, whose post caused you to infer intent to state a generality about those who hold a type of belief, but now you describe how all Muslims are supposed to live and how most of the west views a topic. Aren't those also generalizations? I'm confused on when these types of statements are bad and when they are okay? It's okay for you to make a general statement about how all Muslims are supposed to live, but it's not okay for another poster to be critical of how a single person lived 1500 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom