• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indicate

What makes you think they're not? Most of them don't exactly wear niqabs, they're part of the local population. I also take it that you haven't seen this GIF:
giphy.gif

/of discussion on this matter

Sdkkds

Neo Member
I can't quite put my finger on why the FB 'flag' pictures irritate me. The people doing it are good, moral people, or so I believe. It's heartfelt, but it feels... cheap? to me. I can't quite articulate it.

What i don't like about it is that it gives people a sense of having done something without doing anything.

Just got back from work, it was a hard day, everyone acted like usual but I really struggled. I work in a mall, lots of shops were closed, mine wasn't but despite a lot of people in my shop, everything was calm, we actually closed half an hour early.
While I haven't lost anyone I know, my sister lost a friend, few friends are also in grief or worried sick. They attacked what I love to do most in Paris. Hanging out with friends in bars and going to shows. I feel like I am a target. I don't want to be afraid but I feel like I am. The show at the Bataclan last night was a show I, my family and my friends could have been to, and this is a terrible thing to think about.
I was fairly close to the attacks last night, with friends, celebrating the anniversary of one of my favourite bars. We all calmly took approriate safety measure (closing the blinds, opening the bar's backyard for people to feel totally safe) and tried to stay in good spirits. Seeing as the situation was still unsure in the area and many metro stations were still closed, a friend hosted us in his nearby office, we even brought up a couple of russian tourists who went to take shelter in our bar. We tried to forget about it by watching dumb shows and reading fun stuff but we were still all regularly checking the news and getting updates from friends.
I know that life will go on, and it already has been for assholes everywhere playing fearmongers, I'm arab and despite being raised far from religion and other traditions, I hate to see the rise of Islamophobia, attacks against arabs and migrants. The next few months and even years will be hard.
I'm so fucking tired but I'm afraid to go to sleep. I hope I'll finally be able to breathe and unwind tonight and tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Damn :( Stay safe.

SwolBro

Banned
But violence is countered with more violence since 9/11, Al Qaeda was never defeated, US lost over 4000 soldiers, Iraq is a mess today, Syria is basically hell on earth.

There's some people that say this was inevitable. People have a misconception that going into Iraq caused all these problems. When in fact U.S intelligence agents have been spooked by the growing number of radicals since the 80s.

This problem didn't materialize in the last 10-15 years. It's been there, ironically kept under control by nasty dictators.

azyless

I'm sure that's true. So what?

When you act this way demanding to see that they respond differently and take some responsibility for their fellow Muslims actions you just further reinforce the idea that they're not French all the while needling away at normal everyday French Muslims French Identity. If someone's already lost you're not going to win them back by treating them as an outsider but I guarantee you that you will drive away people that were on your side by treating them as outsiders.

One of the realities of life is nothing's ever going to be perfect, I can't tell you how to get 100% of Muslims in France to identify as French first because I don't think there is a way. I'm also willing to bet there's quite a few white French people who leave the country and never look back or don't feel that the country's for them either? What to do about them? I think we all need to stop chasing the ones already lost and bring the ones not lost closer to us, I think that's the only way to truly build as respectful and inclusive a society as we can.

Uh ? I've never said I expected anyone to take responsibility for terrorism, I don't know where you got that from.
I was simply replying to your "french people don't consider muslim people french" argument. I'm sure that's partly true but people also have to understand that a growing part of the french muslim population doesn't want to be included and doesn't want to be considered french. And no that's just a consequence to the recent attacks and the backlash at the muslim community, it's a thing that's been happening for years with the growth of radical islam.
I'm not sure what you mean about white french people who leave the country ? White or not if anyone feels like this country isn't right for them they're free to leave, no one is chasing them as you said.

What makes you think they're not? Most of them don't exactly wear niqabs, they're part of the local population. I also take it that you haven't seen this GIF:
giphy.gif

There's really only roughly 30,000 members of ISIS? Considering their presence in the Middle East, I thought that number was easily in the millions.

GobFather

People need a group to blame/start creating grand theories on what the problem is and how to fix it.

At the end of the day a handful of psychopaths will represent 1.5 billion people for many people.
Sadly that is true and we have witness it many times in the past and will continue to...

orochi91

There's really only roughly 30,000 members of ISIS? Considering their presence in the Middle East, I thought that number was easily in the millions.

30K of well-trained, heavily armed and fully funded mercenaries. Probably a lot more now though.

I'm pretty sure either of Turkey's or Egypt's armies can take them out, but that would involve a full-scale declaration of war.

DarkTom

Just got back from work, it was a hard day, everyone acted like usual but I really struggled. I work in a mall, lots of shops were closed, mine wasn't but despite a lot of people in my shop, everything was calm, we actually closed half an hour early.
While I haven't lost anyone I know, my sister lost a friend, few friends are also in grief or worried sick. They attacked what I love to do most in Paris. Hanging out with friends in bars and going to shows. I feel like I am a target. I don't want to be afraid but I feel like I am. The show at the Bataclan last night was a show I, my family and my friends could have been to, and this is a terrible thing to think about.
I was fairly close to the attacks last night, with friends, celebrating the anniversary of one of my favourite bars. We all calmly took approriate safety measure (closing the blinds, opening the bar's backyard for people to feel totally safe) and tried to stay in good spirits. Seeing as the situation was still unsure in the area and many metro stations were still closed, a friend hosted us in his nearby office, we even brought up a couple of russian tourists who went to take shelter in our bar. We tried to forget about it by watching dumb shows and reading fun stuff but we were still all regularly checking the news and getting updates from friends.
I know that life will go on, and it already has been for assholes everywhere playing fearmongers, I'm arab and despite being raised far from religion and other traditions, I hate to see the rise of Islamophobia, attacks against arabs and migrants. The next few months and even years will be hard.
I'm so fucking tired but I'm afraid to go to sleep. I hope I'll finally be able to breathe and unwind tonight and tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

That must be tough man, you have all my support, sorry for your sister's loss.

What i don't like about it is that it gives people a sense of having done something without doing anything.
Blasting people for showing support in an online forum isn't helping the people of France, either, FYI.

People are trying to be nice and show support to help the certain mental struggle that is happening right now. Sometimes a few words or photos is all they can do and can make all the difference in someone's day so they feel just a little less alone and vulnerable.

SwolBro

Banned
It's time. France has a serious problem, and it's time for them to round up people that have been monitored and expected of being in contact with terrorist organizations.

Sorry, but if you were very inclined to visit any of these regions recently you're going to have to be questioned. People have to be detained.

Your freedoms will have to be temporarily revoked.

Lender

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/w...onfronts-the-jihadist-danger-within.html?_r=0

This gives some more information. Molenbeek always been a problem zone for these kinds of things.

And this is an interview with Abu Jihad, a 20 year old 'boy', and one of the many young people who went to Syria to join IS. (Belgium is the leading EU country when it comes to soldiers going over there to fight with IS)

http://www.knack.be/nieuws/belgie/g...-een-wat-een-eer/article-longread-599145.html

It's in dutch, but Google translate gives a good indication about what he's saying. The scary part is that I'm sure that there are still a lot of people living in our country thinking the exact same way.

I'll translate some striking parts myself

"This is not some empty threat, this is a war declaration and the plans have already been made. Everything will be blown up in Belgium. Libraries, schools, hospitals, shopping streets, clubs,... All the places where you can find unbelievers. We don't care about all the talk of innocent victims. Every unbeliever will be murdered. "

Why did this young man end up like this

Deep disappointment about the lack of representation from Muslims in our society, lack of guidance and support, the feeling of never being treated as a equivalent civilian, the influence of Sharia4Belgium, an ultra radical implementation of the Islam, peer pressure, search for adventure and the injustice in the middle east. Nouamane is a classic example of a young man for whom the armed jihad became an escape route for his frustrations.

On if he was serious about his threats

Yes, it's a war between us and the unbelievers. I call on every Muslim to protect his faith and kill the unbelievers by shooting them, bombing them, stabbing them, poisoning their food. We haven't forgotten what the unbelievers did to the Muslims in Afghanistan, in Irax and Mali. They will pay for their attacks on the Islam and Muslims. We will take revenge

On what he did before he became the man he currently is

I went to many schools in Antwerp. I was at Don Bosco (a school in Belgium), studied Chemistry, was registered at a table tennis club, played football,... I had everything I wanted. I could have made it far, but from the moment I knew I was leaving for Syria I started neglecting school. I started practicing my faith at the age of 16. Then my eyes started opening. From then on I know we had to worship Allah

On if he ever wanted to come back to belgium.

No, I hate Belgium with all my heart. When I come back it's to conquer Belgium. WHen the caliphate is installed I come back to live there. I hate the country, the democracy, the unbelievers, everything. In Belgium there's always stress, I can't live between all the unbelievers. In the Jihad all your problems and worries disappear. Here I wait until I meet my lord.

On why he didn't feel at home in Belgium

Someone like Filip Dewinter is an enemy of God. Even you must hate him if you're a Muslim. (the interviewer is a Muslim). People like him are against the true Islam, and I'm not talking about the 'skirts-and-tight-jeans-islam'. You can't even wear a niqab in Belgium as a women. The only place where you can live as a practicing (I don't know if this is a correct english word? I'm talking about carrying about your believe in everyday life) Muslim is in prison

On why he always smiles on pictures and how this combines with the things he does

I'm very happy with my life as Jihadist. Slaughtering unbelievers and laughing at the same thing is not a problem for me. I'm convinced of what I do.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so sad for everone involved and affected by this. Even the fucking shooters. You have to be completely rotten inside with sickness or hatred to be able to do such a thing ;_;

What I said before in my previous posts

• Cutting off ISIS supply chains and trading capabilities is necessary...
  • Diplomacy between major players in the Middle East (not Western Countries) is also necessary.
  • A coalition of all these Middle Eastern powers is also necessary. (Turkey, Iran, Saudi)
  • Peace Talks between tribes and sects and forming a unified front is needed.
  • Economic cooperation with Middle Eastern countries to have a unified redevelopment plan is required.
  • New borders for certain hotspots and creations of new states like Kurdistan need to be accepted.
  • Diplomatic cooperation between all middle eastern countries needs to be common. Tensions need to ease.
  • Priority for the future generation needs to be established.... disarmament and supplying better ways of life with economic growth needs to become highly practised.
  • Creating a union group of all Middle Eastern countries that hold powers and rules as well as have transparency and observational status for economic and military spending needs to eventually if slowly exist.

If these places have multiple diplomatic conferences eventually some progress and understanding will occur.... just bombing shit is a stupid method in trying solve human problems

having a outside forces that doesn't know anything about ethnic tensions, geopolitical disputes and problems come and declare war and ignorantly dictate solutions is immature and non progressive.

Sdkkds

Neo Member
Blasting people for showing support in an online forum isn't helping the people of France, either, FYI.

People are trying to be nice and show support to help the certain mental struggle that is happening right now. Sometimes a few words or photos is all they can do and can make all the difference in someone's day so they feel just a little less alone and vulnerable.

I am not blasting them, I just worry that people do less when they feel that they have done something by changing their picture. Kinda like I have done my part. But that might not be the case and if it gets people to do more than I will support it 100%

SwolBro

Banned
If they do it's never really publicized in any significant matter, I think it should be published by the big networks.

Problem is there's not many, not nearly enough that is needed to fight this within their own religion. And even the "moderates" tend to not have very "moderate" views compared to the rest of the secular world.

GobFather

What kind of question of is that? Showing solidarity would help everyone including how they are perceived globally but also locally but if they don't it doesn't matter either way, it's not like it would stop further terrorist attacks from happening. It would just smudge the line between "us" vs "them" which settles in these moments.
Wait, what? You said they don't have to yet , it will smudge the lines? That sounds like a mandatory action or else you may be seen as a supporter of the terrorist group. Why would it smudge the line? Do they have to do it out of fear so that people won't think they are a part of the terrorist group?

During World War 2, should the Japanese living in America had to show support of America with American flags or they will be seen as an enemy? Oh wait even that wasn't enough since fears and opinions by people like you caused them all to be placed in an intern camp. What caused someone to be placed in these Japanese intern camps? Being Japanese. Fear causes people to make irrational decisions, stop focusing on the Muslim group and ONLY focus on the terrorists. I don't see why the Muslim community needs to do anything. Do all of America need to apologize for the actions of KKK? Or all who rides bikes, should they apologize or show support when biker gangs kills people? It's ridiculous

Azzanadra

Just got contact with a cousin in Paris, he's fine.... Thank God... but he's also a Muslim, so things arn't looking completely sunny...

Did they get all the attackers? Or did some escape?

I'm still utterly shocked, République is my favorite neighborhood in Paris. I spent an awful lot of hours there and knowing that it got it by terrorists not one but twice in the same year infuriate me. A couple of months before it could've been me. It's feels weird because I'm not currently there, like i'm an outsider in this situation. Thankfully all of my friends and family are safe. It's just on a whole other level of what happened in January, 129 dead, I still can't believe it. In January 17 people ended up dead and it hit the whole country. I was in the march and everyone was strong, determined and not afraid, I just hope that it's still the case after yesterday.

I am not blasting them, I just worry that people do less when they feel that they have done something by changing their picture. Kinda like I have done my part. But that might not be the case and if it gets people to do more than I will support it 100%
Outside of donations what do you expect people around the world to do?

Join the military?
Fly to France to... Do what?
Set up protests?
Launch an internet hashtag campaign?

What do these people need to do other than show their support? What would qualify as doing something? How much money?

Dude, sometimes it's just not feasible for everyone to hop on a plane, donate blood, join the military, do whatever.

Yes, many feel all warm and fuzzy inside from posting a picture and think they did well - but I'm quite sure a majority can't do much because its simply unreasonable for 7 billion people to do more than simply voice their concern and show support online.

Loxley

Just got contact with a cousin in Paris, he's fine.... Thank God... but he's also a Muslim, so things arn't looking completely sunny...

Did they get all the attackers? Or did some escape?

The eight guys who did the killing are all dead (most of them blew themselves up with suicide vests). Right now authorities are on the hunt for accomplices and anyone who was connected to this group - so far they've arrested at least three people in Belgium, and I think Germany grabbed somebody who was trying to cross their border with guns and explosives.

Cromat

The debate should not revolve around what is or isn't Islam, it's an extremely pointless argument that goes nowhere and serves to hide the true issue, which is Political Islam. This is a readily identifiable political ideology. Whether it is truly Islamic or not is just irrelevant.

Political Islam has its modern roots in the Muslim Brotherhood movement in 1950s Egypt. It has become the dominant ideology in the Middle East. Note that this does not mean that most people in the Middle East subscribe to this ideology, far from it, but that as far as political ideologies go in the Middle East, Political Islam is the most successful and organized. Historically, most opposition movements to Arab autocrats subscribed to Political Islam, and now several countries and territories are ruled by it.

Beefy

The eight guys who did the killing are all dead (most of them blew themselves up with suicide vests). Right now authorities are on the hunt for accomplices and anyone who was connected to this group - so far they've arrested at least three people in Belgium, and I think Germany grabbed somebody who was trying to cross their border with guns and explosives.

I wonder if the french guy arrested at Gatwick is involved?

The eight guys who did the killing are all dead. Right now authorities are on the hunt for accomplices and anyone who was connected to this group - so far they've arrested at least five people in Belgium, and I think Germany grabbed somebody who was trying to cross their border with guns and explosives.

Hitting different locations simultaneously with 8 people... I wouldn't be surprised if there are more attackers on standby or something. That guy caught in Germany had 8 or so AKs with him and yet they obviously had enough weapons for their attack. (assuming the cases are indeed connected)

btw do we have any confirmation on what happened to the Russian plane yet? I know it was likely a bomb but everyone though ISIS just wanted to take the "fame" for it. After yesterday, I don't doubt they would be capable to organize something like that...

Armed Police At Hotel Near Eiffel Tower http://news.sky.com/story/1587854/armed-police-at-hotel-near-eiffel-tower

Vk8LoZM.jpg

Ongoing police intervention taking place at Pullman hotel in Paris, police confirm http://bbc.in/1OJoBof

http://www.dhnet.be/actu/monde/un-c...es-de-la-tour-eiffel-5647a18a3570bccfaf090234
"It seems to be a false alert, says the French Interior Ministry. Some pranksters apparently lied by telephone."

Fucking little shits. Glad no one is hurt though.

mAcOdIn

Uh ? I've never said I expected anyone to take responsibility for terrorism, I don't know where you got that from.
Well, if Muslims have to and are expected to make an announced showing under their own banners that is in some way saying they bear some of the responsibility.

I was simply replying to your "french people don't consider muslim people french" argument. I'm sure that's partly true but people also have to understand that a growing part of the french muslim population doesn't want to be included and doesn't want to be considered french. And no that's just a consequence to the recent attacks and the backlash at the muslim community, it's a thing that's been happening for years with the growth of radical islam.
Right, and again I'm saying I'm sure that that is true! I have no doubt some Muslim kids are disintegrating from society, none what so ever, I totally believe you. 100%. My response to that is so?

What, exactly, do you gain by treating the Muslims who love their country and totally are French and want nothing more than to be treated as French the same way you treat some disenfranchised ISIS wannabe(or actual ISIS member)? What is gained there? By any party? The only party that gains anything from people treating everyday good Muslims like second class citizens is ISIS because all you're doing is driving home that idea that no matter how good they are and what they do they're never French, or American or whatever and that only helps ISIS and similar organizations.
I'm not sure what you mean about white french people who leave the country ? White or not if anyone feels like this country isn't right for them they're free to leave, no one is chasing them as you said.
Perhaps this is a viewpoint I share because I'm American. Here we have lots of homegrown terrorists. People who never fit in, don't like the country, don't like the government and we get weirdos like that who shoot people, well, seemingly often compared to Europe. To me, a white American who no longer identifies with the country is just as dangerous as a Muslim who doesn't, it all sadly leads to the same shit. But the homegrown white terrorist in the United States never represents all of white America, I don't ever have to gather at a white rally and denounce American terrorism like we expect of our fellow Muslim citizens. We don't even want to call it terrorism because, what, are we going to start scrutinizing ourselves now? Start looking inward at why these people are doing what they're doing? It's not a good us versus them narrative.

azyless

Uhh you're sure about that ? I don't think the prosecutor gave any details about what happened to the gunmen who were in the car that was at the restaurants and bars. He said that the vehicle had been identified but that's it.
They've arrested several people in Belgium today though in relation with both cars at the scenes, I don't think we have any more details than that.

Well, if Muslims have to and are expected to make an announced showing under their own banners that is in some way saying they bear some of the responsibility.
I don't expect muslims to make any kind of annoucement whatsoever and I don't hold them responsible for any of it, I'm not sure why you're trying to make it seem like I am ?

Right, and again I'm saying I'm sure that that is true! I have no doubt some Muslim kids are disintegrating from society, none what so ever, I totally believe you. 100%. My response to that is so?

What, exactly, do you gain by treating the Muslims who love their country and totally are French and want nothing more than to be treated as French the same way you treat some disenfranchised ISIS wannabe(or actual ISIS member)? What is gained there? By any party? The only party that gains anything from people treating everyday good Muslims like second class citizens is ISIS because all you're doing is driving home that idea that no matter how good they are and what they do they're never French, or American or whatever and that only helps ISIS and similar organizations.
Are you talking about me specifically ? Because I don't share those views jsyk and I don't want "everyday good muslim" to be treated badly in any way. All I'm saying is it's not as simple as you're trying to make it sound.

Perhaps this is a viewpoint I share because I'm American. Here we have lots of homegrown terrorists. People who never fit in, don't like the country, don't like the government and we get weirdos like that who shoot people, well, seemingly often compared to Europe. To me, a white American who no longer identifies with the country is just as dangerous as a Muslim who doesn't, it all sadly leads to the same shit. But the homegrown white terrorist in the United States never represents all of white America, I don't ever have to gather at a white rally and denounce American terrorism like we expect of our fellow Muslim citizens. We don't even want to call it terrorism because, what, are we going to start scrutinizing ourselves now? Start looking inward at why these people are doing what they're doing? It's not a good us versus them narrative.
Again I don't expect muslims to "own up" to anything, you're either confusing me with someone else or misunderstanding me completely.
That's all I'll say about it because I don't want to derail the thread any further and we're obviously disagreeing or not understanding each other.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Uhh you're sure about that ? I don't think the prosecutor gave any details about what happened to the gunmen who were in the car that was at the restaurants and bars. He said that the vehicle had been identified but that's it.
They've arrested several people in Belgium today though in relation with both cars at the scenes, I don't think we have any more details than that.

It's been universally reported now that there were 8, 7 of whom died by suicide bombing and 1 who was clearly shot to death (just desserts) before his vest went off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom