• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The miiverse spam with "PrayForParis" is quite cynical. It doesn't help anybody and if you have time to play video games, maybe you are not that sad. Disrespectful.

Downhome

Why do people keep on throwing in the other nationalities of the terrorists when it comes to the one that passed through Greece as a political refugee? No one is claiming that all the terrorists rode the Trojan horse into France

This is all over my FB wall...

ghDcHOm.jpg

DarkKyo

The miiverse spam with "PrayForParis" is quite cynical. It doesn't help anybody and if you have time to play video games, maybe you are not that sad. Disrespectful.

If people stopped what they normally do every time a tragedy in the world strikes, we'd be stuck in place forever. Can't someone say the same thing about you posting on this forum?
"You should be too sad to spend your leisure time online.. so disrespectful."

Shining pretty lights on buildings does nothing for Paris either

True, but the hypocrisy level is a bit lower. But I am probably overreacting. Miiverse is mostly children anyway.

If people stopped what they normally do every time a tragedy in the world strikes, we'd be stuck in place forever. Can't someone say the same thing about you posting on this forum?
"You should be too sad to spend your leisure time online.. so disrespectful."

I don't pretend to understand the level of despair.

Hex

Banned
I dunno, I think it's too much of a serious and tragic topic to drag it into miiverse.

Also "PrayForParis" is cynical in itself. Fuck religion, praying won't help.

You do know that Pray can have nothing to do with religion right?
Buy a dictionary and stop being a jaded ass.
People can be supportive however the hell they want to be, what does it have to do with you?

True, but the hypocrisy level is a bit lower. But I am probably overreacting. Miiverse is mostly children anyway.
So just generalizing all Miiverse users there?

Obviously you do because it affected you enough to come into the thread and cast judgement

If they can't be stopped by bombing alone then a ground invasion is the only viable strategy.

ISIS welcome the idea of battle with the forces of 'Rome' as part of their death wish belief that they will prevail and be one step closer to the second coming and ultimate victory.

The entire reasoning behind the terror attacks is to provoke a land war, where as the bombings albeit not entirely effective do sap their resources and manpower and leve them frustrated.

The arguments against a land war are that it's what the enemy want, but at the same time a land war would be a far more effectively strategy to turn the region into the meatgrinder necessary to chew through ISIS militarily in short order.

I think at this juncture it's increasingly hard to take the accuracy of reporting on who does what all that seriously given the partisan nature of the press for the most part. Personally I'd say it serves Putin's purpose more to bomb ISIS and get the western powers on his side, but it also serves US interests to say the opposite.

So what are you actually disagreeing with? You want land invasion? Potentially army draft in your country? That's fine. I strongly oppose this approach. In fact I don't even know who to invade. Syria, Iraq, and Nigeria at the same time? I mean technically Iraq is already "invaded". Anyway it's a separate topic that we will not agree on.

About Russia not bombing Iraq. Even pro-Russian posters here acknowledge that Russia is more concerned with protecting Assad and there's very little ISIS close to Assad's interests. Sure, this could be blown out of proportion by the US, but Russia isn't even hiding that it isn't really fighting ISIS. When the terrorists (most likely) blew up Russian civilian Airliner Russia kept denying that version. It still isn't #1 version in Russian media.

People can be supportive however the hell they want to be, what does it have to do with you?

Obviously you do because it affected you enough to come into the thread and cast judgement

Ugh, you're a lost cause.

Fusebox

Banned

I didn't know this, I thought prayer was a fairly specific term.

verb (used with object)
to offer devout petition, praise, thanks, etc., to (God or an object of worship).
to offer (a prayer).
to bring, put, etc., by praying:
to pray a soul into heaven.
to make earnest petition to (a person).
to make petition or entreaty for; crave:
She prayed his forgiveness.
to offer devout petition, praise, thanks, etc., to God or to an object of worship.
to enter into spiritual communion with God or an object of worship through prayer.

Do you think people are earnestly petitioning France?

PopeReal

Lol what.

Hey everyone stop playing games! And watching football! And anything else that is fun!

Sorry but your post makes no sense.

DarkKyo

I don't think people who are keeping the victims in their thoughts are pretending to know anything. What are you even talking about? Even if someone doesn't understand first hand what it's like to be a victim in a scene like that you can still empathize with the victims and their country because you're a fellow human.

Hex

Banned
I didn't know this, I thought prayer was a fairly specific term.

Do you think people are earnestly petitioning France?

People can make a petition, a wish a thought to whatever makes them feel better.
A god, a goddess, the universe, a tree, their great great great aunt Kathy who died last year. Simplifying it as religion because you do not like religion is selfish and just shows how quick people can be to make things about themselves.

If it makes you feel better I think I understand your concern. If there's no one in your social media circle who would appreciate you solidarity with France (i.e. friends in Paris, ect) these posts are really pointless.

Kraftwerk

just stop.

same with all the people saying how changing your flag is bad and other shit.

NOBODY CARES if you don't like it. People have different ways of showing support.

What the hell do you want them to do? Put on uniform and go fight ISIS? Donate all their money? what? You want them to stop everything doing in their life and think about Paris 24/7?

Jesus Christ.

The survivors of the massacre themselves have posted on Facebook saying how much it means to see others showing support and solidarity..so please...just stop.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I dunno, I think it's too much of a serious and tragic topic to drag it into miiverse.

This is not the time or the place. In fact I'm not convinced there's ever a time or place. What is wrong with you?

is this confirmed? There was a syrian passport found but i did not read confirmations that the passport belongs to one of the terrorists. Also lets not forget that one of the identified terrorist was a french national and one other from montenegro

passport could be fake
However, a U.S. intelligence official told CBS News the Syrian passport might be fake. The official said the passport did not contain the correct numbers for a legitimate Syrian passport and the picture did not match the name.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/paris-attacks-teams-extremists-france-prosecutor/

If you people can't see the hypocrisy in spamming a cynical message on a video game platform, I don't know what to say. It's good to pretend though, carry on.

Fusebox

Banned
People can make a petition, a wish a thought to whatever makes them feel better.
A god, a goddess, the universe, a tree, their great great great aunt Kathy who died last year. Simplifying it as religion because you do not like religion is selfish and just shows how quick people can be to make things about themselves.

Obviously not the right spot for this discussion but I don't agree with this. Prayer has a very specific meaning, people don't pray to trees or dead aunties.

Mikeside

Criticising people for how they're reaching out helps even less than the things you're complaining about.

And being a dick about religion at a time like this is extremely unhelpful too. If somebody chooses to believe something that isn't hurting anybody else, let them believe it.

DarkKyo

Obviously not the right spot for this discussion but I don't agree with this. Prayer has a very specific meaning, people don't pray to trees or dead aunties.

I'm as non-religious as they come but even I understand "pray" is more or less a term to denote "may the universe grant you peace". It doesn't have to have a religious connotation because it's more of a common gesture of care. It's like why I still say "bless you" when someone sneezes. I'm not literally blessing them because I think their soul is being discharged from their body when they sneeze, I'm just doing it because it's a cultural gesture of care.

That doesn't matter. CNN already put headline "ONE OF THE TERRORISTS WAS SYRIAN REFUGEE" so 90% of people are now convinced that all refugees are terrorists... As I said before this tragedy just became a tool in politician's hands... :(

which is really sad since the French Justice Minsiter confirmed later that it was fake, stating that
It was a false passport "They are doing politics"

by they she means ISIS but some politicians will try and run with it basically helping out ISIS

Fusebox

Banned
I'm as non-religious as they come but even I understand "pray" is more or less a term to denote "may the universe grant you peace". It doesn't have to have a religious connotation because it's more of a common gesture of care. It's like why I still say "bless you" when someone sneezes. I'm not literally blessing them because I think their soul is being discharged from their body when they sneeze, I'm just doing it because it's a cultural gesture of care.

I'm non-religious too but I don't tell people I'm praying for them or tell them I'm sending them my prayers, that just feels disingenuous to me.

Tesseract

Banned
are european muslim leaders coming out against this? massive reforms must happen, the radicals gotta go

this shit has metastasized

DarkKyo

I'm non-religious too but I don't tell people I'm praying for them or tell them I'm sending them my prayers, that just feels disingenuous to me.

I think I communicated that wrong. I never tell people I'm praying for them or even that my prayers are with them, I'm just trying to say that it's more of a thing you(figurative you) just say to make others feel at peace, or feel like people care.

About the fake passport: Its probably fake. The point is though, that the refugees going to Germany, not all of them are Syrian. There are those that get fake syrian passports to pass to the EU as a refugee.

Hex

Banned
About the fake passport: Its probably fake. The point is though, that the refugees going to Germany, not all of them are Syrian. There are those that get fake syrian passports to pass to the EU as a refugee.

Yeah I know there was some buzz about former soldiers and whatnot mixed in.

coleco

which is really sad since the French Justice Minsiter confirmed later that it was fake, stating that

by they she means ISIS but some politicians will try and run with it basically helping out ISIS

The passport is fake but doesn't change anything when the terrorist made his way into the EU among real refugees claiming he was a refugee too. It's the same situation: there needs to be a better control on the refugees that are allowed in otherwise this situation will repeat itself again and again.

Officials said one was a young Frenchman known to the authorities. In addition, a Syrian passport found near the body of another attacker was linked to a man who entered the European Union through a Greek island last month.

I got shouted down when I wondered if he was a "refugee" earlier. This is going to be a problem. The vast majority are going to be legitimate refugees but all it takes is one or two radical Islamic terrorists to blow people up. Especially as security will be tight against homegrown Islamic extremists it makes sense to bring someone in from Syria or Iraq or Afghanistan.

are european muslim leaders coming out against this? massive reforms must happen, the radicals gotta go

this shit has metastasized

They did already. Maybe that's not enough, right? Maybe their high school teachers should come out against this too, as well as that one clothing store where they went once to buy some shoes one time? Right? /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom