• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports coming out is that the french Airforce is pounding the hell out of the capital right now. Something like 30 consecutive bombardments.

The Prime Minister of France used the words "total war". That's the expression Hitler used to justify the bombing of civilian targets. I would understand leveling up Raqqa, but that's well beyond what the agreed laws of war permit. I don't think anybody will pick up that case though.

The US has been leading a coalition dropping bombs on ISIS, but it doesn't look they have any real targets.

France is part of the coalition.

Russia is bombing the rebels who oppose Bashar Al-Assad while claiming to be bombing ISIS. It looks like ISIS placed a bomb in a Russian passenger plane out of Egypt and killed 224 Russians.

The coalitions has been stalling because they don't have targets to drop bombs on.
France is now picking up the pace, but it looks like they just drop bombs on Raqqa--the capital of ISIS.

ISIS doesn't have factories to bomb.
Oil fields, pipelines, refineries, ISIS makes $3 million a day selling oil in the black market but then the greedy bastards part of the coalition lack the resolve. Choke off the finances, destroy infrastructures, supply lines.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
The Prime Minister of France used the words "total war". That's the expression Hitler used to justify the bombing of civilian targets. I would understand leveling up Raqqa, but that's well beyond what the agreed laws of war permit. I don't think anybody will pick up that case though.

Those radicals just want their WW3. Scorched earth and all. ;_;

Oil fields, pipelines, refineries, ISIS makes $3 million a day selling oil in the black market but then the greedy bastards part of the coalition lack the resolve. Choke off the finances, destroy infrastructures, supply lines.

!

Cut the finances and (if) whoever is financing them.

As well as attacking peaceful cities; They are strapping bombs to prisoners necks and filming their heads getting blown off, tieing people to the back of pickups and dragging them through the streets to kill them, executing people by driving tanks over them, locking people up in cages and lowering them into swimming pools, hanging people up by their limbs and burning them selling captured female prisoners as sex slaves etc.

If ever there was a time to bomb, invade and pretty much completely obliterate a force, now is the time. Civilian casualties or not. As terrible as that is, shit needs to stop.

how is it horseshit? 15 years after 9/11 and we are actually worse off. there has to be more than just dropping bombs.
edit: you edited. you should stand behind your words, it's not like what you said would get you banned.

Dropping bombs is just what we see on the news. I'm sure there is much more going on in the background.

Something needs to be done though to stop actions like this.

More than 2,000 women remain in Isis captivity.

This is simply unacceptable. Something must be done.

Ovid

Link?

Total war means noncombatants are included.

There is no such thing as collateral damage in total war. If that's the case France will be committing war crimes.

G.O.O.

He said war (don't know if the word "total" was used) but it's already an abuse of language. Unless we're ready to admit that ISIS is a country, and we're not.

Valls is in character, he's supposed to be the bad cop (and Hollande the good cop). Don't listen to everything he says.

Fularu

Banned
That has nothing do to with the plight of Muslims in France. Read the release from ISIS.

ISIS kills more Muslims than non-Muslims.

Basically, they do this out of the purity of their heart.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying. ISIS doesn't give two fucks about the plight of muslims in France BUT they are using it as a recruitement tool. They have a rather large number of supporters in France as evidenced by the staggering number of french nationals (people born and raised in France) who go to Syria to bolster their ranks.

ZZMitch

Corto

He said war (don't know if the word "total" was used) but it's already an abuse of language. Unless we're ready to admit that ISIS is a country, and we're not.

Valls is in character, he's supposed to be the bad cop (and Hollande the good cop). Don't listen to everything he says.

Hollande unequivocally declared that the Paris attacks were acts of war and should be responded accordingly.

Herbs

Banned
Holy shit, these guys are amateurs. No tactical discipline.

do you feel better about yourself now? if you do, you have some issues you should work through and try to be a better person, because right now, your less than what you could be. good luck!

We very much should fight back against ISIS. We will not win the war against violent extremism by responding in kind though. The Islamic world needs to unite on the side of civilization and shame these people into irrelevance, that is the only way this will ever end.
lol shame

They need to be wrecked

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Iraq warned France on Thursday: http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...qqa-syria-live#block-564918e8e4b091c2edb6ce8e

However, Iraqi intelligence officials told the AP that they also warned France about specific details: among them, that the attackers were trained for this operation and sent back to France from Raqqa.

The officials also told AP that a sleeper cell in France met with the attackers after their training and helped them to execute the plan. There were 24 people involved in the operation, they said: 19 attackers and five others in charge of logistics and planning.

Remember 8 AKs and explosives where found in a car when someone was arrested a few weeks ago, it's possible the attack was going to be of a bigger scale so some people might not have participated as planned.

It´s sad to see so many still believing in fighting the "terror" by killing some physical entities in a desert in Syria. You can´t beat the IS. There is no IS you could kill with bombs or guns. IS is a manifestation - not the source of the problem.

We also need to let go of the word "terror". This is far beyond terror.

newjeruse

I go back and forth between NJ and the WTC every day and I'm kind of petrified. I feel like it's just a matter of time before something is attempted. I was in the WTC station yesterday and I was astonished by how little security there was. I feel like we're at the end of a terrorist cycle where everyone is lax because a major event hasn't happened in the U.S. in 15 years.

It´s sad to see so many still believing in fighting the "terror" by killing some physical entities in a desert in Syria. You can´t beat the IS. There is no IS you could kill with bombs or guns. IS is a manifestation - not the source of the problem.

can you translate that into english

jerry1594

We very much should fight back against ISIS. We will not win the war against violent extremism by responding in kind though. The Islamic world needs to unite on the side of civilization and shame these people into irrelevance, that is the only way this will ever end.
Shame? Come on guy

E-phonk

Banned
What's up with Belgium, seems like most of the terrorists came from there?

Being from Belgium myself, I'll try to give some background.

First of all, Belgium has a high population of moslims, percentage wise. Most of them are well integrated, 2nd and 3rd generation but like in a lot of european countries unemployment and social issues are certainly part of an integration problem.

Most immigrants are congolese (christian)/moroccan (moslim)/turkish (moslim). I doubt either of those groups have much to do with paris attacks. On the other hand it's a fact that a percentage wise a lot of the European ISIS fighters came from belgium, partly because they had a central network here that has been declared illegal (with their key members in jail).

Another thing is that politically Brussels is a weird, very belgian like city. It's a metropolis that doesn't have a one central major and police corpse, but consists of a lot of smaller municipalities without a central authority/strategy. Molenbeek is one them, and also one of the most neglected area's. It's the kind of area where police rather doesn't patrol in the evenings/night. In that way it's comparable to some of Paris banlieu's.

At the moment the known facts point to 3 suspects being from Belgium, all brothers. They are of French nationality but living in Brussels/Molenbeek. One of them got killed in paris (Ibrahim Abdeslam), one was arrested during raids last night in Brussels and one is considered a fugitive (Salah Abdeslam, international search warrant against him). Seven people have been arrested in Brussels/Molenbeek.

Another thing to know: Brussels is about 3 hours driving from paris (1.45 with high speed train), so it's actually quite closeby.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤

Shame people won't get this.

Shame people won't get this.
Oh people do. Its just that people that say this don't let us know how to stop this with their insight, being super smart and all.

Someone earlier suggested the key to stopping IS was doctors, food and jobs.

Sure, sure. That'll change their perversion.

In the meantime, intelligence used to stop terrorist threats and actions before they happen is relevant.

E-phonk

Banned

While I agree, I would also argue IS are two things: one of them is a state, a caliphate that has sources of income and can (and imo should be) neutralised.
IS as an idea, is a totally different thing, and indeed a bigger problem.

Imo we should neutralise IS, and help rebuild the area in a proper way, giving it a future, something the west neglected with afghanistan/iraq.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It sounds like you're talking about Al Qaida.

ISIS actually is an on-the-ground military "state" so yeah you can directly attack it.

Diablos

Really? What word(s) would be more suitable?

Also, I think bombing Raqqa is an appropriate response and it won't make Isis cease to exist obviously but it will slow them down.

I go back and forth between NJ and the WTC every day and I'm kind of petrified. I feel like it's just a matter of time before something is attempted. I was in the WTC station yesterday and I was astonished by how little security there was. I feel like we're at the end of a terrorist cycle where everyone is lax because a major event hasn't happened in the U.S. in 15 years.
It's inevitable. Anyone who thinks 9/11 is going to be the last major terror attack in the US is a fool. Something else is bound to happen someday.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
you might not be able to prevent their ideology but can you stop their criminal enterprise by destroying facilities and personnel and giving the people of the counties they've invaded a chance to fight back.

or we can cynically sit back and expect our governments to do nothing while people are slaughtered at a rock concert.

Oh people do. Its just that people that say this don't let us know how to stop this with their insight, being super smart and all.

Someone earlier suggested the key to stopping IS was doctors, food and jobs.

Sure, sure. That'll change their perversion.

In the meantime, intelligence used to stop terrorist threats and actions before they happen is relevant.

Don´t get me wrong, i am not suggesting even more open arms for the poor and mistreated civilizations of the middle east.. IS is not the problem. The virulent, violent, misanthropic, medievil ideology that is fueling those nutjobs is the problem. You can´t kill an idea with bombs. Well, bombs help but they won´t kill it.

You can kill the IS in Rakka. But the real IS is everywhere. In Paris, Belgium, New York, Madrid, London, Berlin etc. And it´s growing bigger,

you might not be able to prevent their ideology but can you stop their criminal enterprise by destroying facilities and personnel and giving the people of the counties they've invaded a chance to fight back.

or we can cynical sit back and expect our governments to do nothing while people are slaughtered at a rock concert.

Or we could actually talk about the problem instead of (just) bombing the areas already way past the point of no return.

jerry1594

While I agree, I would also argue IS are two things: one of them is a state, a caliphate that has sources of income and can (and imo should be) neutralised.
IS as an idea, is a totally different thing, and indeed a bigger problem.

Imo we should neutralise IS, and help rebuild the area in a proper way, giving it a future, something the west neglected with afghanistan/iraq.
That's not gonna cut it. The main sponsors of this are swimming in money.

You're not fighting "terror" or an ideology, the aim is to kill those who are acting on this ideology, you attack the players/actors and infrastructure (physical/financial) that supports their operations, not the concept.

C0unter

Huh what? IS is not some some meta physical entity, they are well organized and are actually fully running major cities like Mosul and Raqqah and are significantly better financed than other terrorists group by selling oil on the black market. They do not operate from random caves in the middle of nowhere, coalition airstrikes and kurdish forces on the ground are an effective means to fight them.

No idea wtf your "terror" statement is about lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Don´t get me wrong, i am not suggesting even more open arms for the poor and mistreated civilizations of the middle east.. IS is not the problem. The virulent, violent, misanthropic, medievil ideology that is fueling those nutjobs is the problem. You can´t kill an idea with bombs. Well, bombs help but they won´t kill it.

That does make sense. Though dismantling the on-the-ground apparatus is an excellent start. "Don't the the perfect be the enemy of the good" as they say.

In my estimation, allowing ISIS to coalesce into a state made the logistical planning of a terror attack as effortless as the military operation of any other state.

If their state organization is dismantled, and they're back to being a disorganized underground terrorist network? It's bad, but preferable to this.

Oriel

can you translate that into english

I suspect he/she means that unless one gets to the root cause of what creates these Jihadist terror groups we'll never be able to win. AQ, the Taliban, Boko Haram, and ISIS are merely symptoms of a bigger problem, namely violent Wahabbism/Salafism. Until the international community begins cracking down on the proliferation of this extremist form of Islam then groups like ISIS will pop up no sooner than another has been defeated.

Korez

ISIS is getting bombed by France:

simpsons+le+bombe+neutron.jpg

You can kill the IS in Rakka. But the real IS is everywhere. In Paris, Belgium, New York, Madrid, London, Berlin etc. And it´s growing bigger,

Or we could actually talk about the problem instead of (just) bombing the areas already way past the point of no return.
You can rigorously prosecute domestic terrorists with harsh, long sentences, or even revocation of citizenship, those that go over to the middle east to fight are going to put themselves at risk of being killed like any other terrorist.

raphier

Banned

how about you stop spouting that bullshit. IS is not holier than thou.

Ovid

I suspect he/she means that unless one gets to the root cause of what creates these Jihadist terror groups we'll never be able to win. AQ, the Taliban, Boko Haram, and ISIS are merely symptoms of a bigger problem, namely violent Wahabbism/Salafism. Until the international community begins cracking down on the proliferation of this extremist form of Islam then groups like ISIS will pop up no sooner than another has been defeated.
In addition to foreign policy in that part of the world as well as domestic policy.

You're not fighting "terror" or an ideology, the aim is to kill those who are acting on this ideology, you attack the players/actors and infrastructure (physical/financial) that supports their operations, not the concept.

Yeah, but we should fight the concept. Even if we nuke the entire area and wipe the version of the Is that you can actually draw on a map from existence.. would it stop the enxt attack? No. The explosives were made in europe, Not in Syria. We have hundrets of thousands close to the ideology of the IS already within our borders - living with us everyday. You can´t bomb those. We have millions praying to the very same guy, (with, lets call them, liberal age limits on his love interests) the IS is praying to. Following the same guidelines as the IS does. Being the smart humans that their are they donßt follow this nonsense word by word. But the roots are already there. Knowledge, humanism and intolerance for intolerance are whats keeping this plant from growing even further.

Liljagare

Stockholm globe arena and our old tv tower lit up in the tricolore. Saw the tower tonight as I was coming home on a boat, was really pretty and a somber moment after a for us a nice weekend.. :\

tab4ed63-jpg

1200px-Kakn%C3%A4stornet_tricolore_2015-11-15c.jpg

Astral Dog

What should it be then.?

If anyone wants to stop violent Wahabbism/Salafism you kill/defeat/degrade/whatever the symptom at the same time otherwise they will keep killing and spread their ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom