• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

Le Monde just cited "multiple police sources" as saying the situation is now "calm", with CT forces "waiting" for anyone in the apartment to surrender/make a move. They remind us that Merah waited for 32 hours in 2012 before coming out shooting (and getting immediately killed by French police).

Still no definite info on who is in the apartment/how many there are.

Edit: They also mention the ongoing situation at Gare du Nord (bomb threat). No news to report there other than a bomb squad being now onsite.

nilbog21

Banned
Nah BFM TV said the police sent it to check a room for potential danger, and it got killed as it entered. It's also that selfless dedication that makes them such good companions. I wouldn't want to be more sad about a dog than about people being killed, though, even if I love dogs.
Bon chien. :'|

I am definitely more sad about dogs dying selflessly while helping the human condition than humans dying for the shit mess they helped start. You think humans would sacrifice themselves to save an animal? Fuck no

Still worth more than dead, there's always the chance. But yeah, these people are dedicated to the death for their cause. Very unlikely to get something out.

don't agree, knowing they are dead is better than them gaining public view and giving any others ideas to follow their steps by seeing the spotlight on them. Even dead this still happens. It is the media affect that creates a lot of the issues in america imo

Anyways, I won't say much more about it as I don't want to go too off topic.

I am definitely more sad about dogs dying selflessly while helping the human condition than humans dying for the shit mess they helped start. You think humans would sacrifice themselves to save an animal? Fuck no

I only agree that people create language ideas and issues to fight about. It's true that animals on't pertain to any of these ideas, but you shouldn't say what all people would or wouldn't do. People also give their lives to save others.

Chariot

don't agree, knowing they are dead is better than them gaining public view and giving any others ideas to follow their steps by seeing the spotlight on them. Even dead this still happens. It is the media affect that creates a lot of the issues in america imo

I don't think that this is off-topic. Death doesn't bode well with extremists. They become martyrers. You can demonstrate much more dominance by capturing them alive and give them a trial. Showing then that not they decide here nor their god. It's the law and the people of the country who back it that call judgement on them.

Magni

(All my posts are just English translations of Le Monde's updates)

Of the five arrested, we know of three men inside the apartment, and one man and one woman in the "immediate vicinity" of the apartment.

I don't think that this is off-topic. Death doesn't bode well with extremists. They become martyrers. You can demonstrate much more dominance by capturing them alive and give them a trial. Showing then that not they decide here nor their god. It's the law and the people of the country who back it.

I guess this topic has gotten pretty broad with all the issues the attacks take. I meant I didn't want to go off topic with my media views creating the gun violence and shootings in america.

I don't think we can agree or even know what the true outcome of the situation is with them being captured alive or being killed. There is too much that goes on socially that we can't see clearly to say which way is best . It's just my guess that seeing ideas build ideas. Just like teaching a baby to walk.

MUnited83

For you.

They are obssessed with dying for their cause and being a martyr. If anything, killing all of them just because would just create more martyrs for other ISIS members to idolize.

The suggestion of killing them solely because of it "being better than giving them publicity" is stupid as shit too, not too mention disturbing. Kill them if they are a threat, sure. But in the event that they have them neutralized and arrested, you advocate to execute them on the spot?

They are obssessed with dying for their cause and being a martyr. If anything, killing all of them just because would just create more martyrs for other ISIS members to idolize.

The suggestion of killing them solely because of it "being better than giving them publicity" is stupid as shit too, not too mention disturbing. Kill them if they are a threat, sure. But in the event that they have them neutralized and arrested, you advocate to execute them on the spot?

Not sure if your saying I say we should kill them. I'm not saying anyone should kill anyone.

But, you give coverage to people doing things and it will bring in repeats for sure.

chadskin

When these accounts have posted videos from their apartments, it gives them some credibility.

That tweet was shared by Le Monde (although not confirmed by them), which is why I posted it here.

Sylvia Zappi is a journalist with Le Monde, actually.

Cappa

Banned
Depends on whose twitter it is. If it's a BBC journalist in the vicinity, it's probably a better source of up to date information than any of the major news agencies.
In that case a link to the actual tweet and name of the reliable source would be helpful

Depends on whose twitter it is. If it's a BBC journalist in the vicinity, it's probably a better source of up to date information than any of the major news agencies.

Not really, there's a lot of clueless journalists out there that routinely report erroneous stuff because they want to be first.

It's kind of crazy, the time when you need accurate information the most, you get the least.

Alx

I thought it was already confirmed a passer by was killed

It wasn't. Actually it's now confirmed that no passer by was killed.
One of therrorist being shot by a sniper doesn't seem to be confirmed either, by the way. Right now the only official casualty is the woman who detonated a bomb.

There's still no information of whether Abaaoud was there or not, even if he was the target of the operation. He's not among the people who got arrested anyway.

chadskin

It appears that the man who rented out the apartment is among those arrested by police during the raid this morning. The Paris prosecutor’s statement this morning noted that a man and a woman had been arrested “nearby” the address of the raid but not inside the apartment - that would appear to be this landlord and a female friend.

The man has been speaking to AFP - the news agency says he spoke to them “on condition of anonymity before being handcuffed and led away by police.”
A friend asked me to put up two of his friends for a few days

I said that there was no mattress, they told me ‘it’s not a problem’, they just wanted water and to pray.

I was asked to do a favour, I did a favour. I didn’t know they were terrorists.
AFP report his female friend was also taken into custody. She told the news agency that she had slept in the apartment last week and the dwelling was “a kind of squat.”

The two visitors arrived “two days ago,” she said.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mb-threat-live#block-564c3fe5e4b0a51fe2018a17

Auctopus

my gut tells me this is going to become a common thing/

image.php

Also just confirmed: the police brought a naked man out of the house.

well could have been showering or anything I guess..

Will probably be a little bit before people know more. Maybe they have something in teh apartment that shows more connections though, that would be good to find more and flush them out.

Kuldar

If Abdelhamid Abaaoud is in France it's a huge security breach since he's well knowed and searched since a long time...

Osahi

Just confirmed on this livestream: http://nieuws.vtm.be/buitenland/167133-live-extra-vtm-nieuws

The people that got killed were planning another attack in Paris.

For what it's worth, yesterday they 'confirmed' the ambulance full of explosives in Hannover too. Turned out to be a hoax. VTM is very quick to jump conclusions imo, and their news is at times really scaremongering (like i an item about speed controls, asking a police representative if those cops shouldn't devote their time to finding the terrorists). Also the morrons that streamed footage of a police raid...

So take it with a grain of salt until we get official confirmation.

dejay

Banned
Man those twitter/live coverage info are so annoying. Might as well report nothing if you have to change it 20 times within an hour. Obviously your unconfirmed source or observation means fuck all if they can't even get it right if someone died or not.

assault dog died during the raid... poor guy, but maybe he drew fire away from operators. the god is a hero.

W9cvQ3b.png

(was a female, 7 years old, rip doggie)

French authorities (@PNationale) confirm the death of Diesel, a 7 year old Belgian Shepherd:

[INFO] Diesel, malinois de 7 ans, chienne d'assaut du #RAID a été tuée par les terroristes dans l'opération en cours #SaintDenis

May she rest in peace too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom