• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A curfew declared? Is it that easy to declare martial law? Also, I thought it was interesting that the guest on BBC said 'the military has been in the streets since January.' If that's true, isn't that weird?

What the fuck is going on?

Kodaman

The government of these big nations are more to blame for this attack than the terrorist when they choose to do nothing about these alleged radicalized Islamist terrorist. I am glad I live in a good community and avoid these types of event.

think a little and try again...

FartOfWar

Banned
Chances are minimal that it's any other group.

First page of thread suggests its gangs.

98T6GuPzL6VwY.gif

Irminsul

German-speaking TV news is really bizarre for the most part. ARD didn't know whether they should show news or football (they were broadcasting the game), ZDF now switched to a comedy show.

The Austrian broadcaster did take its time, but at least they're actually broadcasting news now, always trying to confirm them.

it's sad to say but Euro countries will have close their borders and re-instate cross border checkpoints. Clamp down on firearms and keep an eye on the eastern front where most of the weapon smuggling comes from.

Open borders was a good concept under times of peace but now seriously, it is time to close all borders and re-instate border patrol

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The government of these big nations are more to blame for this attack than the terrorist when they choose to do nothing about these alleged radicalized Islamist terrorist. I am glad I live in a good community and avoid these types of event.

What the fuck is the matter with you?

Klyka

Banned
Then by what metric is the comparison? You can't quantify reaction/shock so I'm not sure how that's compared.

It's amount of fear, terror and the shock that one of the largest and most well known/beloved cities in the world goes from "normal day" to "people are dying in the streets" at the twitch of these people's fingers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The President of my University (NE) sent out a letter just now. It's comforting and also alarming because you realize what terror does.
Edit: dang it was about diversity. Sorry

I'm sure it's in correlation. How can it not be?

Dryk

In scope and execution it's closer to Mumbai 2008. Separate events carried out by small teams aimed directly at large gatherings of people.

In terms of international shock and reaction, we'll see. Right now it feels the same. :(
I think this is more effective in trying to get a rise out of people. Lots of people died in 9/11 but it's not as dramatic at instilling the feeling that you can be killed anywhere at any time than a lots of smaller attacks around a city at major events and landmarks.

Loxley

Are the perpetrators of this horrific act muslims? Probably. Is islam attacking France? No.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the average Muslim when an act of terror like this happens. They have to know it's just going to fuel the anti-Islam groups around the world and make things worse.

AcridMeat

Banned
Unfortunately the only way these extremists, and their extreme activities will ever, somehow, be brought to a halt is via correspondingly extreme actions in turn.

How humans in 2015 can still have 'differences', real or perceived, that lead to horrific situations like this is staggering, and terribly saddening.

A very sad time, and a dire situation.
Agreed wholeheartedly. :(
guys if you're going to post random-ass unconfirmed english language tweets, please at least fucking link them (a direct link to the tweet is best) so people who aren't posting random-ass unconfirmed stuff can figure out what you're on about and correct your misinformation.

On this page I'm seeing people posting English-language reports based on French-language reports based on French facebook posts from half an hour ago as if they were breaking, even when there have been followups on that very situation.
Thank you for this Stump, I was just about to make a similar rant.

it's sad to say but Euro countries will have close their borders and re-instate cross border checkpoints. Clamp down on firearms and keep an eye on the eastern front where most of the weapon smuggling comes from.

Open borders was a good concept under times of peace but now seriously, it is time to close all borders and re-instate border patrol

In the world we live in today...

I am afraid you are right.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Homme is supposedly not with them on this leg of the tour. Also, Chris Goss, longtime friend and collaborator of Homme/Hughes and the other members of the band, has heard that the band made it to a police station.

sQLSxs8.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews-live/liveblog/live-updates-attacks-in-paris/

American band believed to have escaped Paris concert hall during attack
Adam Goldman · 5:57 PM
An American band was playing at a concert hall in Paris on Friday night, where an unknown number of hostages continue to be held.

Mary Lou Dorio, the mother of Julian Dorio, the drummer for Eagles of Death Metal, tells the Washington Post her son is safe. She said it was great news.

She said she spoke to her son’s wife, who said that the band members had managed to flee the concert hall when the attack began. The fate of several crew members remains unknown, she said.

“It was awful,” his mother said. She added that her son was at a local police station, where he was able to call his wife. He had left his phone on stage.

The drummer's mom has either talked to her son, or her son's wife, who says they made it out at the beginning, he's at the police station on their phone, as his phone was still at the concert hall.

KHarvey16

Nonsense.

Mac_Lane

A curfew declared? Is it that easy to declare martial law? Also, I thought it was interesting that the guest on BBC said 'the military has been in the streets since January.' If that's true, isn't that weird?

No martial law at the moment. Paris citizens are told to remain in their homes, unless they absolutely have to go outside.

State of emergence has been declared on the entire territory, meaning that armed forces and the police are given much more investigative power.

Kathian

Banned

Eh? Easy? This is what martial law is for - necessity not process.

sflufan

Banned
For Christ's sake, I hope at least one of the bastard is captured alive for interrogation to discover if there are other members of the cell.

This is so goddamn depressing. Fucking hell man.

RIP to everyone that has unfortunatly passed. Hoping for the best for everyone out there in Paris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom