• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
As awful as this is, 100 dead in itself is not justification for a war that will kill many hundreds of thousands of civilians and in the end accomplish nothing. we have learned this lesson too many times.

It's not the number, it's a group once again attacking innocent civilians in a most cowardly manner. The war on afeghanistan had its share of logistical and strategical issues, but it was fair. An incursion into Syria is too. And if another terrorist organization that follows this mindset pops up elsewhere, then that country also become a target.

And these countries better start teaching their children not to murder innocent civilians elsewhere or having western troups everywhere will become the sad fact of life here.

Why would you ever mean Rome as in Turkey?

The Ottoman Sultans - who were also the last major claimants to the title of Caliph - took up the title Caesar of Rum/Rome after conquering the Byzantines, who were the Eastern Roman Empire (and considered themselves as Rome).

Mind you, I don't know if ISIS would care for that sort of symbolism.

meanspartan

Before you start calling people who have just suffered a major terrorist attack dummies, maybe you should stay informed enough to know that this picture is old.

Now get out of here if you have nothing to contribute.

1,500 troops mobilized. Does this mean Martial Law is in effect? I haven't heard any mention of it.

I think you are being a bit harsh, he wasn't speaking from a place of malice, but concern.

And that image was posted without context, I also asked if it was tonight as it seemed a bit odd for such an event to spontaneously have organized while the situation is ongoing.

Zabant

The sad truth of all this is the only solution is to re-take all ISIS controlled land and occupy it permanently so no new groups can form.

Any country that is found harbouring known ISIS members needs to give them up or face the combined power of pretty much the entire world.

A permanent Guerilla War is a horrible state of affairs, but it's the only short-term solution to eliminate ISIS.

It's a fucked up situation and plays right into the hands of the shitstains who profit off the war economy (Right Wingers)

fuck that's scary shit.

Morons like that guy can think what they want, my country might be a joke but it would not let Sharia Law be enforced on it's lands, even if it was confined to a small community that embraced it.

entremet

What the fuck is with our US politicians trying to use this attack for politicals points!? STFU and "stay in you lane"

as an American I'd like to apologize
They do it because it's effective. That's the only reason. May not be effective with the average GAF poster, but sure it will with their base.

It's classless, but that's politics for you.

Scipio

"Aux armes citoyens! Formez vos bataillons!
Marchons, marchons,
Qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons."

French anthem sung at the Stade de France. Chilling.

Bossun

iTélé news
At the beginning of the raid there was some negotiations attempts but the terrorists rapidly told the police that they didn't want to negotiate, didn't want to talk, that they were armed and had explosives vests on them.

It was clearly an attack just to kill as many people as possible.

dosh

Yep, but pretty sure you'll see the same tomorrow or in a few days! We, indeed, are not afraid!
Honestly, I am. I live in the south of France, I'm not even at risk, but I have a LOT of friends in Paris.
But yeah, we'll probably see huge gatherings tomorrow.

A Muslim I work with was just telling me the other day that he thinks sharia law will, at some point, be brought in for muslims in the UK. He was very keen to point out that he thought this would be a good thing. And this guy's a moderate.
Him believing in sharia law makes him the opposite of a moderate.

King_Moc

Banned
if that's moderate, then yeah. we are fucked.

He just believes what he's told, he's very malleable. Must be some very iffy people at his mosque. He thinks that American soldiers purposely murder Muslim children in Afghanistan and the BBC etc are all in on the cover up. This is a guy that smokes, wears western style clothing. You wouldn't even know he was Muslim. It worries me because you just wonder...how many might there be that are unhinged enough to go do something like this?

A Muslim I work with was just telling me the other day that he thinks sharia law will, at some point, be brought in for muslims in the UK. He was very keen to point out that he thought this would be a good thing. And this guy's a moderate.

Uh I know many Muslims in uk, the only ones who are moderate are those who are not for any shariah overruling British law, having girlfriends etc and saying I want shariah all that is not a moderate

JPLMD

What the fuck is with our US politicians trying to use this attack for politicals points!? STFU and "stay in you lane"

as an American I'd like to apologize

Yea this is deplorable. Why do our politicians always do this? It doesn't help and is insulting to the people who are currently being affected by this horribly tragic event.

America isn't like this and I am sorry that these people are representing our opinions of the matter.

strafer

Sigh. Another date to mark in the calender.

I'm going to get some sleep now. I'm dreading waking up tomorrow to see how many lives lost there are. :(

gai_shain

oh man I was watching the france - germany football game on TV when this happened and me and my friends thought someone set off fireworks or something when that big bang happened. Sad news... I hope there arent going to be more casualties, its already extremely bad and sad this happened...

Salsa

whats this im hearing about 35 dead at an eagles of death metal concert?

Jesus christ. has there ever been that big a tally at a concert? good lord. besides the obviously terrible tragedy of the victims I cant even begin to imagine how the band feels

Did your co-worker say that to anyone else other than just you? That is crazy and if he talks like that out in the open... well I do not see how it can end in any good way

He just believes what he's told, he's very malleable. Must be some very iffy people at his mosque. He thinks that American soldiers purposely murder Muslim children in Afghanistan and the BBC etc are all in on the cover up. This is a guy that smokes, wears western style clothing. You wouldn't even know he was Muslim. It worries me because you just wonder...how many might there be that are unhinged enough to go do something like this?

Terrorists smoke and wear western clothing a too. This is not a moderate. This is like a conspiracist right wing Muslim. There are a lot of them

Scipio

Jesus christ. has there ever been that big a tally at a concert? good lord. besides the obviously terrible tragedy of the victims I cant even begin to imagine how the band feels
118. Dead. More injured.

orochi91

Report him to the authorities if it really troubles you, mate.

Rktk

Moderate according to who? You? The Muslims I know aren't in favour, are they Muslim-lite?

hohoXD123

I...don't think you've met many moderate muslims if you really think that guy is moderate.

King_Moc

Banned
Uh I know many Muslims in uk, the only ones who are moderate are those who are not for any shariah overruling British law, having girlfriends etc and saying I want shariah all that is not a moderate

He wears his religion on his sleeve less than just about any of the other Muslims I know. He just randomly pops out with all this scary shit that people are trying to convince him of sometimes.

hwy_61

Banned
I can't believe these are serious responses holy fuck.

It's as if none of you have met any Muslims that you would believe that's a moderate./QUOTE]

to be fair, I don't know any muslims. So what do I know, I'm just going off what the guy said about his coworker.

France is going to react in the same way America did post-9/11: Increased governmental encroachment into privacy, waves of Islamophobic violence against innocent Muslims and refugees, and government provisions that would give the French government any and all power it believes necessary to stop a future attack e.g. indefinite detainment, torture, etc.

I hope your wrong about violence against innocent Muslims and refugees....this will only make things worse.

John Lennon comes to mind....' Imagine no religion'

Oersted

Over 100. Was a hostage situation. Most killed by grenades.

Pterion

Great to hear.

Its over 100 now. It sounds more like a mass execution than a hostage situation.

samn

How about asking people with families who have actually suffered under both Assad and are still suffering now.

I am aware Assad is and has been a cruel dictator. That doesn't mean it made sense to try and get rid of him.

Hundreds of thousands have died in the Syrian civil war. If you think that's no worse or maybe even better than the previous situation then I'm not sure what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom