• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burai

shitonmychest57
how is this thinking not flawed then? wtf?

"oh say they come at you with an explosive vest? what then! so lets just skimp on security"

cmon

all im saying is reports are coming that security was ridiculously scarse and this is coming right off Hollande talking about upping security at venues cause of Hebdo is all

not saying its the end all be all to this sort of problem, but everything seems to imply they could and should have done more.

But what exactly do you do? The Hebdo attacks primarily went after a supermarket and a magazine office.

When you're getting down to that level of targeted attack, where do you draw the line on security?

Blader

Exactly. Gun control only takes away guns from people that follow the law. It does nothing for bad guys except ensure they can murder as many people as possible, without resistance. Like we saw tonight. :( It's too bad none of those people had the option to even TRY and defend themselves.

You have no idea what gun control actually is, and rationalize your ignorance with a completely fantasy scenario. This isn't Die Hard; at no point in time has any potential victim of a terrorist attack tried to fend off militants with AK-47s and suicide vests because they were brandishing a concealed carry firearm.

I'd take my chances versus being able to do NOTHING. You may be fine with being completely helpless. Others are not.

In the shuffle of confusion you really think people were going to figure out who was a terrorist and who isn't? You think there won't be bystander casualties?

No guarantee that giving everyone guns would've resulted in less casualties. It may have resulted in even more.

Yes, definitely keep your head on a swivel and keep situational awareness. Or better yet, just stay home and shop on Amazon like I do. :)

It would be amazingly easy to bomb or shoot up a mall in the USA. Actually, I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet, whether from terrorists or home grown crazies.

That's what I'm afraid of. Doesn't even have to be Syrian-born ISIS militants it can be a group of self-radicalized sympathizers like the Boston bombers.

Salsa

But what exactly do you do? The Hebdo attacks primarily went after a supermarket and a magazine office.

When you're getting down to that level of targeted attack, where do you draw the line on security?

im not the one to draw the line nor will I pretend to have an easy answer like a lot of people here seem to think or pretend to do

all im saying is when something like this happen at a place with very, very scarse security after a tragedy like the recent one you start to think on a life by life basis and approaches you could have taken. when your effort seems null one way or the other It just looks bad, and it should.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm just point out how ridiculously foolish your comparison is. Comparing Nazis and the Japanese to religious zealots in terrorist cells.

You can make the case you want to make but at least admit what it actually entails instead of this fallacy that we can just go in there and destroy islamic extremists and then it's all happy endings. Like the last 15 years didn't just happen.

I really don't understand what your point now. You're against war but you talk about religious zealots. So what's your point? What's your magic solution against religious zealots?

Madness

I understand that this is genuine and from the heart, but it's really not the time for a pro-second amendment soapbox.

I don't know. I fucking hate guns, I hate gun culture. But if Muslim terrorists can get their hands on hundreds of rounds of ammunition, ak47's and assault rifles and shoot hundreds of humans like fish in a barrel and no one else is armed or able to hit them back, I don't know.

What is gun control like in France? I actually have tickets to go to Euro 2016 and even though it's irrational for me to fear, after Charlie Hebdo, after that stopped train attack where the attacker was subdued and now this, it's just showing me France is no safer than many other countries.

Whatever, I agree nows not the right time, emotions are high. Prayers to everyone in France having to deal with yet another Muslim terrorist attack that kills hundreds of innocent lives.

chadskin

Yet they're running from ISIS, not Assad.

Survey leaves no doubt: Syrians are fleeing Assad
About 900 Syrian refugees were interviewed in front of refugee homes and registration centers in five German cities.
"Around 70 percent of respondents say they have fled because of Bashar al-Assad's regime," Perabo said. He found the responses astounding, especially because the prevailing image in Germany is that IS is responsible for the mass exodus from Syria. "The battle against IS terrorism will not solve the problem," the survey found.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In the shuffle of confusion you really think people were going to figure out who was a terrorist and who isn't? You think there won't be bystander casualties?

No guarantee that giving everyone guns would've resulted in less casualties. It may have resulted in even more.

In the US, people would probably just shoot down anyone who looks muslim then. It'll totally work.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. Gun control only takes away guns from people that follow the law. It does nothing for bad guys except ensure they can murder as many people as possible, without resistance. Like we saw tonight. :( It's too bad none of those people had the option to even TRY and defend themselves.

I'd take my chances versus being able to do NOTHING. You may be fine with being completely helpless. Others are not.

you gonna 360 no scope four suicide bombers, John Halo? ridiculous comments.

This hatred is not justified, but we can surely see where it genesis is, and undoubtedly the interventions of the West in the muslim world and the blindly denial of Israel´s pseudo- Apartheid State status have created a cultural conflict that will last for generations. Such a frustrating situation.

Jacobi

Banned
I don't know. I fucking hate guns, I hate gun culture. But if Muslim terrorists can get their hands on hundreds of rounds of ammunition, ak47's and assault rifles and shoot hundreds of humans like fish in a barrel and no one else is armed or able to hit them back, I don't know.

What is gun control like in France? I actually have tickets to go to Euro 2016 and even though it's irrational for me to fear, after Charlie Hebdo, after that stopped train attack where the attacker was subdued and now this, it's just showing me France is no safer than many other countries.

Whatever, I agree nows not the right time, emotions are high. Prayers to everyone in France having to deal with yet another Muslim terrorist attack that kills hundreds of innocent lives.
Who can say it now if it's safe or not? Usually shit like this never happened... But you should be safe... This stuff could happen every where and it's still more likely that you die of cancer or a car crash

Salsa

Huh? It's my personally held belief that humans are pretty shitty. I'm sick of this perpetual state of unresolvable conflict and our destruction of Earth. We just don't deserve it.

yeah, a small percentage of crazy stupid people make the species that travelled to the fucking moon the worst to have ever lived. dogs are better.

this is such an internet thing

but whatever

Ovid

Does this seem like an isolated incident or are there likely to be follow up attacks in the next couple of days? May sound crazy but I am worried about going into London tomorrow.
Go about your day normally.

Don't let the terrorists win.

caleb1915

Huh? It's my personally held belief that humans are pretty shitty. I'm sick of this perpetual state of unresolvable conflict and our destruction of Earth. We just don't deserve it.

Can you just speak for yourself then since it's a personally held believe that ignores all the decent human beings existing right now?

You know, the ones that you don't give a shit about because you're too busy calling everyone shitty.

This is terrible. My first daughter was born three weeks ago and I've been on cloud nine since I first saw her, but a moment like this reminds of the human capacity for hatred and pain.

Abandon-Thread.gif

Oh shit. We're getting into tragedy-related emotions mixed with barely relavent off-topic arguments.

Just gonna leave this thread behind before shit gets too rough.

https://youtu.be/XLXkCr7FftA

Gonna leave with this emotional reaction to the whole thing.

I really don't understand what your point now. You're against war but you talk about religious zealots. So what's your point? What's your magic solution against religious zealots?

I'm not against war. I'm against jackass cowboy emotionalism that solves nothing.

The solution is to continue logical and tactical actions against IS instead of being forced into doing "something" which is what seems to have started more problems than it solved. I've also expressed that the real viable solution to these acts in the 21st century is not about controlling some piece of land in Afghanistan or Iraq but being able to monitor people. But that would require even more spying programs.

Witness is on 20/20 (ABC). Kinda crazy to hear her tell it.

Also crazy that the censors didn't catch her f bomb she just dropped (unless they just don't care at the moment)

BigAl1992

3:17am. Need to get some sleep. I feel absolutely useless for saying this in the midst of all that's happened, but stay safe out there ParisGAF,we're all here for you lot once this nightmare has ended.

What, you accused the guy suggesting stable regime change to eliminate ISIS as being naive. What do you think he meant by that? Hopefully you're not dense enough to assume that he was suggesting getting rid of ISIS in a vacuum, right? Islamic fundamentalism and ISIS are one and the same in this context. I hope I don't need to tell you this. What good will getting rid of ISIS and only ISIS do, if westerners keep dying at the hands of fundamentalists who will replace them? You're being obtuse.

Do you even know what it you takes to create a stable regime ? I said it is naive because making those countries safe and wealthier isn't going to fix anything because many people that are in ISIL are western educated people and/or lived in places like that. They have there own reasons to join and being poor has little to do with it and so no I wasn't assuming that, and I said later that if you really want those countries to be wealth and such; you'll have to get rid of those guys anyway. Stable regime or not, getting rid of them in the vacuum or not you are going have to military confront them. Also, getting rid of ISIL will get rid of the current ISIL simply as that .

Again, I only talking about ISIL and you keep bring up BS that wasn't making any sense in the context to what I was talking about. Islamic fundamentalism is part of ISIL, but Boka Harem, AQ, and ISIL are entirely different beasts with entirely different strengths, purposes, details etc. Getting rid of ISIL will not end terrorism, no shit, getting rid of them stops more breeding grounds and makes those countries much more safer and again I wasn't even talking about terrorism in general just ISIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom