• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Westerners" don't have the stomach to take care of ISIS. It's not like a traditional, enemy state. How do you combat an ideology?

We can take a hard stance against the countries responsible for the export of ISIS style ideology, starting with the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We dont even have to attack that country to effect a behaviour change from them, we can simply stop giving them money and weapons, then sanction them until they deal with the bastion of extremist ideology theyve been fostering for decades.

Social

The Belgian government said a while ago that the police/anti terror forces etc... stop many possible attacks before they take place, but that it's just a matter of one organized attack slipping through the cracks before a disaster happens. This is the same in France, Germany, UK, etc..

You really do not have to be very smart to understand the risks and direct link to the refugee situation in Europe. If anyone flat out denies that, then keep living in your fantasy world of a tolerant multicultural society with bunnies, unicorns and welfare for all.

Many muslim terrorists arrived as refugees in Europe and were able to go into stealth mode calmly waiting to execute a planned attack.

The Nazi's slowly infiltrated the German government. They simply took control of an already powerful German military that was already built to go. They did this by gaining public support and winning elections (and lots of backroom deals, intimidation and even murdering officials who resisted them).

ISIS does not have any specific country's population's support. They only have minority groups scattered about the world. They can only fight with the weapons and vehicles they can claim in small clashes with small towns and villages. Their best chance for a unified state with a legit military would be to oust Assad and take over the Syrian government. But Assad is so brutal, that'll never happen - plus he's got Russia backing him up now.

So, ISIS will remain nothing but a semi-organized terrorist association fueled mostly by desperate, delusional, fanatical recruits.

Mollymauk

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/entertainment/Hostages-Eagles-of-Death-Metal-Paris-Concert-347921681.html
Two members of [Eagles of Death Metal's] crew told an NBC News reporter that one of the band members have died in the attack. It is unclear which band member was killed.​

There's conflicting reports, so I don't know what to make of this. Earlier, we heard from the drummer's wife they were all okay.

Rachel Maddow just said the band manager confirmed this report was NOT true. All members are safe.

Cedric

Ah the facebook fuckery is in full effect. From people talking about "people die everywhere in the world not only french lives are important you know!!!" to "don't PRAY let's fight religion!"... this is stupid.

SummitAve

Banned
The Nazi's slowly infiltrated the German government. They simply took control of an already powerful German military that was already built to go. They did this by gaining public support and winning elections (and lots of backroom deals, intimidation and even murdering officials who resisted them).

ISIS does not have any specific country's population's support. They only have minority groups scattered about the world. They can only fight with the weapons and vehicles they can claim in small clashes with small towns and villages. Their best chance for a unified state with a legit military would be to oust Assad and take over the Syrian government. But Assad is so brutal, that'll never happen - plus he's got Russia backing him up now.

So, ISIS will remain nothing but an organized terrorist association fueled mostly by desperate, delusional, fanatical recruits.

Am I in the thread for the Paris attacks? Why did you spend the time typing any of this here?

orochi91

You really do not have to be very smart to understand the risks and direct link to the refugee situation in Europe. If anyone flat out denies that, then keep living in your fantasy world of a tolerant multicultural society with bunnies, unicorns and welfare for all.

Many muslim terrorists arrived as refugees in Europe and were able to go into stealth mode calmly waiting to execute a planned attack.

This is the second time you've insinuated refugees played a role in this attack.

Put up some sources for your claim.

I understand that this is genuine and from the heart, but it's really not the time for a pro-second amendment soapbox.

I agree with you completely but it seems a little hypocritical when the anti-gun people come out and shit up a thread whenever there's a shooting in the US. Nobody says anything to them.

Message received though; I'll let it be.

Salsa

I like this scenario where a civilian with access to a gun is able to kill just the terrorists in a 2 thousand people venue in crazy distress and panic during a mass shooting

and this "I wanna have a chance over NOTHING" so yeah, shoot shit that moves so at least you dont get killed? problem solved

Exactly. Gun control only takes away guns from people that follow the law. It does nothing for bad guys except ensure they can murder as many people as possible, without resistance. Like we saw tonight. :( It's too bad none of those people had the option to even TRY and defend themselves.

We have mass killings here in many places in the US all it would have done is possible made it easier for those guys to use the guns and those people would have still would have died considering the nature of the killings.

I wonder whats going happen to France after these terror attacks France has been getting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not against war. I'm against jackass cowboy emotionalism that solves nothing.

The solution is to continue logical and tactical actions against IS instead of being forced into doing "something" which is what seems to have started more problems than it solved. I've also expressed that the real viable solution to these acts in the 21st century is not about controlling some piece of land in Afghanistan or Iraq but being able to monitor people. But that would require even more spying programs.

Logical and tactical actions against IS did almost nothing in the past 2 years.

And your solution is to make the Western world police states. Not solving the root cause and making the victims pay. Sounds lovely.

Daft_Cat

What is gun control like in France? I actually have tickets to go to Euro 2016...

Go! You'll be fine. Gun control is strict, and there is very little gun crime. What happened tonight is an extreme scenario -- a terrorist attack on a massive scale. In light of that, I imagine that any public event held in France for the foreseeable future will be incredibly tightly guarded.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
My brain stopped at WWII, but yeah WWI had a larger influence - and as you say origins of conflicts today can be traced back even well before that.

So what the hell can be done? Drone strikes don't work, I'm not sure a peaceful education/infrastructure initiative alone is possible, a half-cooked Iraq war situation, really doesn't work.

What is there to do? Total war coupled with long-term occupation and building? I feel like anything along those lines will be a WWIII. Is that necessary, though? I'm having dark thoughts that it might be required to ultimately start moving past this rise of terrorism and instability that lets it thrive.

You are not alone in those dark thoughts.

I..honestly, I don't want to even go into the historical parallels that would probably be the closest, because following those parallels...it requires tens of millions of deaths with modern weaponry, and a path we have rightfully forsaken in terms of occupation and killing.

Burai

shitonmychest57
im not the one to draw the line nor will I pretend to have an easy answer like a lot of people here seem to think or pretend to do

all im saying is when something like this happen at a place with very, very scarse security after a tragedy like the recent one you start to think on a life by life basis and approaches you could have taken. when your effort seems null one way or the other It just looks bad, and it should.

But you have to draw the line. If terrorists are targeting restaurants, supermarkets and offices, you're now talking about having armed guards at businesses with maybe less than ten employees and less than 100 customers a day. On that basis, every single business in France would need at least one armed guard. We're talking highly skilled and trained personnel here.

Are you even beginning to understand that what you're asking for is completely unrealistic?

params7

Banned

Yes, Syrians are fleeing from Assad, despite fucking ISIS vying for power in Syria? And you expect people to treat the poll with an ounce of credibility? The most brutal Salafist jihadi groups vying for power that will make daily life and conditions for women much more constricted and worse off than Assad.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...of-which-could-push-millions-of-10488379.html

The four million Syrians who are already refugees mostly came from opposition or contested areas that have been systematically bombarded by government aircraft and artillery, making them uninhabitable. But the majority of the 17 million Syrians still in the country live in government-controlled areas now threatened by Isis. These people are terrified of Isis occupying their cities, towns and villages because of its reputation for mass executions, ritual mutilation and rape against those not obedient to its extreme variant of Sunni Islam.

Want to bet the migrant crisis gets exacerbated via more instability as ISIS and friends gain more power?

Exactly. Gun control only takes away guns from people that follow the law. It does nothing for bad guys except ensure they can murder as many people as possible, without resistance. Like we saw tonight. :( It's too bad none of those people had the option to even TRY and defend themselves.
this is the most tasteless thing ive ever read on a forum

in what world do civillians with little training or warning pull our power fantasies of killing the bad guys with our secret drum mag ak47 off

Hellraizah

I understand that this is genuine and from the heart, but it's really not the time for a pro-second amendment soapbox.

However, when shootings happen in the USA, anti-gun people jump at the opportunity in less than a minute and "everyone" seems ok with it?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

You realize that Europe is pretty good at home-breeding Islamism? The Charlie Hebdo terrorists were French Muslims. Jihadi John was a British Muslim. Thousands of European Muslims went to Syria and Iraq to help cause the masses of refugees that are fleeing also from them. And I would not be shocked at all to learn that the terrorists behind today's events were Europeans as well.

Everything I read about this makes me sick to my stomach.

Fuck these guys.

However, when shootings happen in the USA, anti-gun people jump at the opportunity in less than a minute and "everyone" seems ok with it?
Maybe because shootings in the USA are far more common than any other first world country?

Besides, I don't think is the thread to bring this shit up....

BTM

I just can't wrap my head around this. It's just so sad. Prayers and thoughts to France and everyone affected. Stay strong.

Salsa

But you have to draw the line. If terrorists are targeting restaurants, supermarkets and offices, you're now talking about having armed guards at businesses with maybe less than ten employees and less than 100 customers a day. On that basis, every single business in France would need at least one armed guard. We're talking highly skilled and trained personnel here.

Are you even beginning to understand that what you're asking for is completely unrealistic?

what the hell am I asking for?

you're taking this to some weird extreme level where all im saying that upping security in a concert venue after a tragedy just happened to avoid another one and after your president promised it sounds like what should happen

who is talking about the future and businesses and shit? im not talking of this as a solution opposed to others dude. You're putting my argument as if I was saying this is the one thing to be done to avoid this happening. of course you gotta draw the line at some point, but you also gotta start, at all.

im saying it's shitty and surprising there wasnt more security there <- so just read this one sentence I guess

Karamsoul

As a Muslim, I hope the authorities find the terrorists and give them the what for. Absolutely horrible.

Such a fucked up situation there. It's just about daily life in Syria, Palestine, Afghanistan and other countries, but you don't really expect it to hit home. Kind of shows how messed up regular people's lives are in those aforementioned countries.

The Belgian government said a while ago that the police/anti terror forces etc... stop many possible attacks before they take place, but that it's just a matter of one organized attack slipping through the cracks before a disaster happens. This is the same in France, Germany, UK, etc..

So what kind of society should we have?

daedalius

I don't know. I fucking hate guns, I hate gun culture. But if Muslim terrorists can get their hands on hundreds of rounds of ammunition, ak47's and assault rifles and shoot hundreds of humans like fish in a barrel and no one else is armed or able to hit them back, I don't know.

What is gun control like in France? I actually have tickets to go to Euro 2016 and even though it's irrational for me to fear, after Charlie Hebdo, after that stopped train attack where the attacker was subdued and now this, it's just showing me France is no safer than many other countries.

Whatever, I agree nows not the right time, emotions are high. Prayers to everyone in France having to deal with yet another Muslim terrorist attack that kills hundreds of innocent lives.

This is pretty much where I'm at too, and it sucks

ivysaur12

Banned
Logical and tactical actions against IS did almost nothing in the past 2 years.

And your solution is to make the Western world police states. Not solving the root cause and make the victims pay. Sounds lovely.

"KILL 'EM!" and then hope for the best is also a terrible plan. A ground operation would further destabilize the Middle East and further stole the anti-Western sentiments that exist there.

I don't have a solution. Doing the same thing we've been doing since the 90s is not smart. It's stupid, expensive, and will ultimately prove fruitless. But if a stupid war without an endgame fuels your rage, go for it!

The first thing that should have happened is redrawing the stupid fucking borders that britain made, lumping disparate groups of people who hate each other together into one 'country' (Iraq) was a bad idea.

Finally some sense, though asking western people or your average joe to understand the volatic nature of the Middle East is impossible when they don't understand the basic difference between Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds and why did Iraq went all to hell so easily once Saddam was no longer in power.

Fuck off. Maybe when psychopaths are butchering our school students your point would be a little less ridiculous. Until then let's not compare random american gun crime that occurs because guns are so easy to get a hold of with organised terrorist attacks.

Blader

I agree with you completely but it seems a little hypocritical when the anti-gun people come out and shit up a thread whenever there's a shooting in the US. Nobody says anything to them.

Message received though; I'll let it be.

That's because gun violence is epidemic in the US and very rare in France. Not to mention this is an act of terrorism, not your average shooting anyway, and your whole posited scenario about John McClane wannabes in the theater somehow making a difference because of their concealed carry is total bullshit.

There's nothing hypocritical about it, you're just off on another planet.

stuminus3

We just don't deserve it.
Speak for yourself.

No one's expecting a world that runs on justice
No one is waiting for such a grand departure from basic human nature

Try imagining this world living in
Tolerance and compassion
Could you change mankind, one mind at a time?
Well let's put it into positive action.

All participants in this experiment
Start and end with you, mate.
Could you carry on without judging anyone?
Do you believe it isn't too late?

If your solution is in the positive
Everything's gonna be stardust
But if you gonna live in the negative
The popular voice was right, and the stupid people won
The human race is fucked, the experiment went wrong
Your species won't missed, close the door on your way out.
See you on the other side
Hope I come back as a chair.

Am I in the thread for the Paris attacks? Why did you spend the time typing any of this here?

Because there was a sub-conversation going on here about a comparison between ISIS and the Nazis.

And since ISIS is proudly claiming responsibility for the attacks today, it seemed relevant to try to downplay that sort of comparison, which would only generate more fear-mongering.

antonz

ISIS wants Rome next.

Why Rome of all places?

st-peters-10.jpg

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom