• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Recently scored some legacy Facebreakers with 964% unarmed damage for dirt cheap, I don't think the guy knew what he had on him since he was asking for 5 divines. This shit is worth 3 exalted at least.

Built a Marauder around these yesterday, level 40 with 3k dps is pretty insane.

Kammie

So how the hell am I supposed to survive bosses in Cruel? Asides from joining a group so the other people can beat them before I even catch up to them?

Normal mode could be tough but it at least seemed doable. Here I'm just getting two-shot by bullshit I can't even dodge.

I'm on Piety and have 40% lightning resistance. Level 54, monster level in area is 47. Am I doing something wrong or is the game just "hard" because it's unbalanced? My DPS is strong enough that I kill everything else in 2-3 shots.

Edit: I should note this is Piety in the Crematorium, not the temple.

cheesetom

I was zerging dominus at lv56. After going through half a stack of portal scrolls, I said fuck it and started doing piety runs till 61. Went back to that dominus fight and handed his ass right back to him.

First character I've played that broke through Cruel and into merciless. So happy.

Deadly

So how the hell am I supposed to survive bosses in Cruel? Asides from joining a group so the other people can beat them before I even catch up to them?

Normal mode could be tough but it at least seemed doable. Here I'm just getting two-shot by bullshit I can't even dodge.

I'm on Piety and have 40% lightning resistance. Level 54, monster level in area is 47. Am I doing something wrong or is the game just "hard" because it's unbalanced? My DPS is strong enough that I kill everything else in 2-3 shots.

Is your lightning res capped? Because I have like 600 hp 900 es and I still destroyed her easily.

Kammie

What's your HP/ES? If your DPS is that good then it has to be that or just capping lightning res at 75%.
HP is at like 1000, and ES at 30.

I found that I had the Purity aura so I tried it out. It was just level 1, so it was only an additional 12% resistance, but it let me take at least a couple more hits, so I just kept rezzing back in town till I killed her.

I still don't feel that this is balanced in any way (there's clear balance issues all over the place, like that lightning guy that one-shots you in the Sceptre of God), but at least it made me realize I need to be running this aura.

The worst part is all the leveling I lost. lol. When I make it into Cruel, I'll wait to level up before I tackle any of the boss dungeons.

Edit: What do you guys mean by lightning res "capped"? I'm a noob.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

I found that I had the Purity aura so I tried it out. It was just level 1, so it was only an additional 12% resistance, but it let me take at least a couple more hits, so I just kept rezzing back in town till I killed her.

I still don't feel that this is balanced in any way (there's clear balance issues all over the place, like that lightning guy that one-shots you in the Sceptre of God), but at least it made me realize I need to be running this aura.

The worst part is all the leveling I lost. lol. When I make it into Cruel, I'll wait to level up before I tackle any of the boss dungeons.

Max res cap is 75%, 78 with high level purity, and could be a bit higher with some passive. So capped mean getting lightning resist to 75%.

It made a huge difference since if you have 1000 health with 40% resistance, your effective health is 1,666 against lighting damage. With 75% resistance it increase to 4,000.

Deadly

It's not completely necessary to use Purity. It's very easy to cap your resistances with items.

Kammie

Max res cap is 75%, 78 with high level purity, and could be a bit higher with some passive. So capped mean getting lightning resist to 75%.

It made a huge difference since if you have 1000 health with 40% resistance, your effective health is 1,666 against lighting damage. With 75% resistance it increase to 4,000.
Wait, what? It's 2 AM, I'm dead tired, and I can't make sense of where you're pulling all those numbers from. XD How do you get at those? I figured that if I have a resistance at 75%, if an attack that does 100 HP hits me, it would get knocked down to only 25. If I have 40%, it gets knocked down to 60. I don't see how you can even arrive at such a huge difference between one and the other.

It's not completely necessary to use Purity. It's very easy to cap your resistances with items.
I had 40%. Sadly almost no resistances on my gear,and I was just running two rings with 30% lightning. It wasn't enough at all.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Wait, what? It's 2 AM, I'm dead tired, and I can't make sense of where you're pulling all those numbers from. XD How do you get at those? I figured that if I have a resistance at 75%, if an attack that does 100 HP hits me, it would get knocked down to only 25. If I have 40%, it gets knocked down to 60. I don't see how you can even arrive at such a huge difference between one and the other.

In your example, from 60 damage to 25, its a 60% damage reduction. Using your example with 1,000 health 40% resist, it will take 17 hits to kill you. If you have 75% resist, you will last 40 hits. Flask and life steal also become stronger since each point of life you recover worth more as you have more resist.

Effective health = Life/ (1-resis)
1,000 health / (1-75%) = 4,000 vs 1,000 health / (1-40%) = 1,666

Each % of resistance worth more as you go higher, let's say with 98% resist you took 1,000 damage, it will hit you for 20. If you have 99% resist it would only hit you for 10, that's a 50% damage reduction (20 vs 10) just by increasing it for 1%.

Kammie

In your example, from 60 damage to 25, its a 60% damage reduction. Using your example with 1,000 health 40% resist, it will take 17 hits to kill you. If you have 75% resist, you will last 40 hits. Flask and life steal also become stronger since each point of life you recover worth more as you have more resist.

Effective health = Life/ (1-resis)
1,000 health / (1-75%) = 4,000 vs 1,000 health / (1-40%) = 1,666

Each % of resistance worth more as you go higher, let's say with 98% resist you took 1,000 damage, it will hit you for 20. If you have 99% resist it would only hit you for 10, that's a 50% damage reduction (20 vs 10) just by increasing it for 1%.
Thanks. Your example is extreme since we can't get resist to 99%, but it got the point across. I did some numbers. If I take my original -20% or whatever it was Resist into consideration, getting it up to 40% doubles the amount of hits I can take, which falls in line with what I experienced using my two 30% rings. Getting it up to 70% would quadruple it. The difference isn't night and day, and I'm still gonna die plenty more considering how much overall damage elemental attacks do, though. XD

1000 HP in Cruel Act 3 is really low. That's your biggest issue.
I posted my build up above. If I ever get everything, I should end up with +146 to Maximum Life and 246% Increased Maximum Life according to the tree planner program, which is even a little better than an established Lightning Arrow/Blood Magic build I used as a starting point.

I also have Life Leech on my main attack, so 2 hits on a group of adds and my health is usually back up to full. It's just the elementals that kill me right now. Probably just need better gear.

Sarcasm

My gear is really sucking and I can't find junk. Rare mobs either drop 0 items or 2 white items. Unique mobs? Lucky if I get blue. I don't have much currency either, so I am kinda bummed.

Makes me not want to play the game. No upgrade for the last 12 levels and I am only lvl 37 and in Cruel =S

KKRT00

My gear is really sucking and I can't find junk. Rare mobs either drop 0 items or 2 white items. Unique mobs? Lucky if I get blue. I don't have much currency either, so I am kinda bummed.

Makes me not want to play the game. No upgrade for the last 12 levels and I am only lvl 37 and in Cruel =S

Sometimes if You get good roll is hard to replace piece.
For example i bought this ring around lvl 30 from vendor and i still havent found replacement and i'm lvl 64 in act 3 merciless

Rarity: Magic
Rotund Two-Stone Ring of the Lynx
--------
Requirements:
Level: 28
--------
Itemlevel: 36
--------
+13% to Fire and Cold Resistances
--------
+13 to Dexterity
+66 to maximum Life

Kettch

Picked up a Lightning Coil today and managed to 5 link it pretty easily. Seems to be making an absolute huge difference with physical damage mitigation. Not only does 40% go to my 83% lightning resist instead, but I'm pretty sure the physical part counts as a lesser hit against my armor as well, so it's more effective. Chargers were hurting a bit before, but they're doing almost nothing now.

I just noticed I'm close to this on the tree:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Influence

I'm not clear on the wording. Will this add 18% to my 12% aura gem (giving me 30%), or will it do 18% of 12% (12% + 2%)?

The second one. It's an 18% multiplier to whatever stats your auras give. So if you're running Grace and it usually gives you 1000 evasion, you'll get 1180 evasion instead. Still really good if you're running a lot of auras (I'm planning on having +94% effect, so it almost doubles them).

As others have said you need more res for some of the bosses, capped resist makes a massive difference vs non capped (taking 400 out of 1000 dmg vs 200 out of 1000, you may only resist 20 percent more of the total but you only take half the dmg you took before, each extra percent of resist becomes more valuable -that's why the 2 percent extra cap on resists from the passive tree doesn't seem like much but it helps a lot)

Also you need lifesteal/life leech
Get a 4 link item link a life leech (single target) or life on hit (if your ability hits many targets)
I'm in merciless now doing areas 10 levels higher than my character level with only 1800hp, but I have so much lifesteal and leech that it keeps me alive, if I stop attacking I'm dead in < 2 seconds against a few enemies yet I can tank packs of 30 enemies just fine as long as I'm attacking them

Using a white no stat 4 link item and being able to link the spells you need is better than using the best rare available for your level with only 2 links. (except for weapons of course you need the base damage on them)

Luthos

Price check on this? I'm on Nemesis.

MR8BqTd.png

(and I'm gonna be away from my PC, will check back for replies later)

Sarcasm

I use the android one but I noticed for example near blood magic it doesn't show that the str nodes go around the arsonist circle thingy...I will take a pic (maybe its fixed now since I mentioned it)

Speedran merciless act 2 on my lvl 56 scion in 52 minutes, including all the sidequests :D
Everything solo except for vaal. Now in act3 at lvl 57 :p
Didn't expect to be able to solo weaver but it worked fine

died 3x ,twice to desync (so much lag warping all over the place in chamber of sins) and once to forgetting to swap out my rings and fighting with -30 lightning res in chamber of sins.

Shinypogs

So how much pre-planning and research do I need to do before jumping into this? If I try to wing it and build my char based on educated guessing how likely am I to fuck up beyond all repair?

NIN90

So how much pre-planning and research do I need to do before jumping into this? If I try to wing it and build my char based on educated guessing how likely am I to fuck up beyond all repair?

You can clear Normal difficulty pretty easily without following a build. NG+ though not so much..

maharg

idspispopd

Plan as much as you feel like planning. The shared stash makes bringing new characters up to speed a lot easier than it seems like it might have been. I've made three (+ a few for the races that have recently started up) and I haven't even cleared normal yet and I'm having a blast. I think you have to go into a game like this with the understanding that building characters IS the game.

Boken

Banned
Thanks. Your example is extreme since we can't get resist to 99%, but it got the point across. I did some numbers. If I take my original -20% or whatever it was Resist into consideration, getting it up to 40% doubles the amount of hits I can take, which falls in line with what I experienced using my two 30% rings. Getting it up to 70% would quadruple it. The difference isn't night and day, and I'm still gonna die plenty more considering how much overall damage elemental attacks do, though. XD

I posted my build up above. If I ever get everything, I should end up with +146 to Maximum Life and 246% Increased Maximum Life according to the tree planner program, which is even a little better than an established Lightning Arrow/Blood Magic build I used as a starting point.

I also have Life Leech on my main attack, so 2 hits on a group of adds and my health is usually back up to full. It's just the elementals that kill me right now. Probably just need better gear.
Are you running a hp belt? 1k is really low for a blood magic LA ranger.

Mine in act 3 cruel has 2.5k hp

foamdino

How many people are playing on hardcore (or one of the hardcore modes/leagues) vs playing on standard? I'd like to see a split of the numbers, is it published somewhere by GGG?

I've been playing since closed beta and haven't finished Normal (hardcore). I keep being distracted by races, or I get killed by something dumb and have to start again. Playing Witch with zombie army is fun though.

NIN90

How many people are playing on hardcore (or one of the hardcore modes/leagues) vs playing on standard? I'd like to see a split of the numbers, is it published somewhere by GGG?

I've been playing since closed beta and haven't finished Normal (hardcore). I keep being distracted by races, or I get killed by something dumb and have to start again. Playing Witch with zombie army is fun though.

They recently posted some data about playerbase distribution:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/238960/announcements/detail/1513501526881918577

Here's some data on how players are distributed between the leagues. We're pleased to see high engagement with the new challenge leagues and are pleased that Nemesis is performing better than any of our other hardcore leagues ever have:

Domination: 51.3%
Nemesis: 20.5%
Standard: 25.6%
Hardcore: 2.6%

Card Boy

Banned
Very steep for that Bandit reward quest respec. Should be like 5 regrets tops. Better off making a new character at 20 regrets.

Raxum

Here is my phone cap:

Trying out the app myself, there is actually a join there, but it's a straight line through the circle so you can't see it. That part is actually part of my build so I used that to test. Doesn't highlight any of the nodes selecting that directly. Seems like they haven't got the nice formatting of curved lines in there at all.

Sarcasm

Can anybody tell me in layman terms the situation on armour or evasion?

I am heading my way to Iron Reflexes to have all my evasion converted to armour and wondering how this is, especially for melee.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got to play some Exciles during Blizzcon and my God does it play better than ever... What a masterpiece, felt immediately that I could have gotten hooked.

Top Bottom