• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Morokh

The game is being played by 12-14k people daily, and is top 15-20 on Steam. I wouldn't say it's struggling despite the hardcore focus. But I do agree the game's design choices are veering into territory that will restrict growth.

The fact that it is English-only for now combined with it's relative complexity might be a bigger restrictive matter than the fact that it is clearly hardcore based alone.

I'd safely bet that there is at least as much people playing it not using the steam client, and in the end I think GGG knew very well they wouldn't appeal to a huge mainstream fanbase when they designed it.

Zynx

Yeah i feel you man, it was the same for me but i think i will give it another chance might change my opinion.

lol. Why did you quote a post from half a year ago on the first page of the thread. Oh, I know. You're just trying to post a bunch so that you can start new threads sooner.

Finally got back to playing (a friend started playing, and I ended up theorycrafting an Explosive Arrow build which now I really want to make). No longer in the guild. :(

Invasion mode makes early game a lot more interesting after playing through Normal Mode like 15 times.

Got this a week ago.
XYWtFKl.jpg

Any idea where I can find how much its worth? I got burned out on maces last year and try to avoid them at all costs. Plus I kinda think selling legendaries I don't need makes more sense in Invasion, just in case you die and lose the item (vs selling it and having the currency in your stash).

Invasion uniques are freaking nasty. RIP'd to one this morning because I thought I was fighting an Ash Prophet backing up Pyramid skeletons only to take rapid heavy hits all of a sudden and only when it is too late realize that something was spewing Fireballs like it was Touhou at me.

To make things worse, my re-attempt at the character feels much weaker than the first. Decided to simply buy Explosive Arrow because I didn't want to wait until Act 3 for it or level another class to get it (and even then I still need to be level 19.) Explosive Arrow has such a large opportunity cost.

aY227

Got this a week ago.
XYWtFKl.jpg

Any idea where I can find how much its worth? I got burned out on maces last year and try to avoid them at all costs. Plus I kinda think selling legendaries I don't need makes more sense in Invasion, just in case you die and lose the item (vs selling it and having the currency in your stash).

Now much probably, its low level item, but always check prices on http://poe.xyz.is/

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/861418

Damn, they reacted in 18 minutes to a bug with item generator.

Also new spell is coming soon, seems pretty neat:

glacial_cascade.jpg

Got this a week ago.
XYWtFKl.jpg

Unless it's got 5-6 links on it, low level weapon uniques rarely get more than a chaos. Only exception off the top of my head is The Searing Touch.

Rufus

Well, yes, obviously. Invasion bosses are going to be nerfed into the ground once the leagues end.

I like the added danger, they do mix things up, but it's just too risky to kill them. Their damage is just too spiky.

Handy Fake

Well, yes, obviously. Invasion bosses are going to be nerfed into the ground once the leagues end.

I like the added danger, they do mix things up, but it's just too risky to kill them. Their damage is just too spiky.

I'm just farming the Lunar Temple, nearly got killed by a rare enemy and did get killed by the boss in a corrupted area. Killed him with no real bother then watched as my health just dropped flat. Probably some effect on death, ha. Luckily I've got a Town Portal gem and had it open before I went in.

The rare boss had some weird thing and suddenly 4 searing totems appeared. Nearly cacked meself. Got a nice unique off him though.

I love PoE like. I like the random moments of finding a boss that's ridiculously harder than the others, and I like the fact it takes an age to get decent loot. Keeps you on your toes.

Rufus

Sure, sure, it's just that on hardcore, that's just a waste of my time. If I could stand softcore (puts me to sleep) I wouldn't mind and risk a lot more.

Handy Fake

Sure, sure, it's just that on hardcore, that's just a waste of my time. If I could stand softcore (puts me to sleep) I wouldn't mind and risk a lot more.

Oh Hardcore, aye. Sorry, I misread your post.

I've been on it a while and I'm still to go on hardcore. I'm loathe to switch Leagues knowing I've got a load of good loot in my stash that I can't use. Haha.

Rufus

Never mind, it wasn't clear from my post.

The stash is the only thing that lets me play hardcore, really. You can make some progress in-between characters and bounce back quicker.
But on the whole, it's good to reset every now and then (say, 4 months). It's a catarthic feeling to bin it all or give it away before it turns into baggage. You start to value low value drops again, too, simply because you're back at a place where a single Alchemy Orb or low-level unique can mean a lot.

Funny or not, this game has some of the shittiest balance out there.

No it doesn't. You fight on maps with dangerous mods knowing what could be there. You can easily prepare for something like that or you just don't do LMP mods.

Was it unbalanced when several people died to a boss corpse exploding another boss? No, it's called experience. You learn what can kill you and you play safer or change you build up.

Handy Fake

No it doesn't. You fight on maps with dangerous mods knowing what could be there. You can easily prepare for something like that or you just don't do LMP mods.

Was it unbalanced when several people died to a boss corpse exploding another boss? No, it's called experience. You learn what can kill you and you play safer or change you build up.

I saw that video.

THAT was hilarious.

Zynx

So, the game doesn't seem to want to let me wield a sceptre and wand at the same time. But the wiki seemed to imply you can dual wield different 1-handed weapons simultaneously?

So, the game doesn't seem to want to let me wield a sceptre and wand at the same time. But the wiki seemed to imply you can dual wield different 1-handed weapons simultaneously?

You can't mix wands and melee weapons since the game isn't programmed to handle the different types of attacks dual-wielded, instead you can go melee/melee or wand/wand.

Zynx

Oh, I see, thanks.

Dag nabit! And I spent so much effort combing poe.xyz for such a sweet combination, bah! (+2 fire gem/spell damage on the red socket sceptre and spell damage/mana regen/projectile speed on the wand)

I remember read somewhere that getting low life status via blood magic life reservation was "fixed" - did this imply that reserving 66%+ life will not allow you to get low life status to activate certain item mods? What if you lose some life after reserving?

The fact that it is English-only for now combined with it's relative complexity might be a bigger restrictive matter than the fact that it is clearly hardcore based alone.

I'd safely bet that there is at least as much people playing it not using the steam client, and in the end I think GGG knew very well they wouldn't appeal to a huge mainstream fanbase when they designed it.

I would (re)play it if it was more casual-friendly and had a more appealing lore/story. The game is technically gorgeous and you can see all the passion that the devs put into the game. For the time being, the game is just too complex, hardcore and generic for my tastes.

I would also greatly appreciate a French translation because fuck having to read English. Just because I can do it doesn't mean it's comfortable.

Descent races are fun as hell. I was super close to lv13 and wound up in The Brute's locked room with like 3 minutes left. I got him to half health but he killed me with 30 seconds to go lmao.

Still got 4 points though.

Zynx

I think I'm done with my current character. The advice from tiltnkirby (and Kammie) did help me finish off my goal of beating dominus merciless, but I just went mapping in a public party and damn there's people doing like what seems to be 6x my dps or more. I do tri-curse so I do help parties a lot, but the last straw was when I slotted my searing bond into a voideye and ended up with better dps than my fireball which I've been focusing my build on, so I think it's time to reroll.

I've got almost 70 chaos to fund my next character, so I've been looking around forums and such, and it seems the biggest dps builds are built around auras and attack speed? I'm also looking into some kind of crit build, but it seems to require so much investment. Righteous fire also intrigues me because there's some kind of perverse pleasure to just killing stuff just by walking around.

I'm wondering what's going to get nerfed in the next round of patches, though.

How do you guys get so many Chaos orbs? My "wealth" is basically 8 Alc Orbs, some uniques no one seems to want, and some noteworthy gems like Iron Will, Faster Attacks, and Cold-To-Fire.

I have a set of MF gear with like 39% increased chance to find items, which I use to farm with my Scion. Some days I've hit the jackpot (Melee Splash and Faster Attacks dropped off the same Invasion boss), most days I'm unsuccessful.

I remember farming the Ledge on my character in cruel earlier in the beta, but I'm not familiar with where to farm in normal for a lv28. I'm on Act II, and just either do Chamber of Sins or the dungeon where the dead hand quest is; haven't done the Vaal stuff yet, I plan on starting today.

Rufus

I found all of mine. I'm at 19 now I think. Some sessions I get really lucky and have several drop. Once you can do the Chaos recipe that's another way to get them. And trading of course.

Tizoc

First time running the game and after is elect my character (duelist) and entr a name the game keeps 'contacting server' and doesnt advance from this screen. Is it normal for it to take so long?

V_Arnold

First time running the game and after is elect my character (duelist) and entr a name the game keeps 'contacting server' and doesnt advance from this screen. Is it normal for it to take so long?

What region are you? It should work right now. Maybe your client is blocked?

V_Arnold

Lucky bastard. Tried to chance one last league for my summoner.

Thanks. Now I will have a long, hard thinking about what to do with this. Sale? What to get? Level a char for it?

My main is a too defensive (4,4k hp, 77% all res, -34 chaos, 9k sheet dps lv18 searing bond + 3lvl gem from the scepter, equilibrum, double totems) Searing Bonder who can do any maps up till lv72, but still, I do not feel that it is particularly fun, compared to even my previous flameblaster witch, or whatever.

But, my fully defensive gear would allow me to respect all my ~25-30 points in totems and fire damage into minions instead. I would keep my insanely high hp and all my resists, which is great. I could snapshot with Mon'treguls. I would have all the benefits of a real caster, I guess. Only thing I would be missing on is the +cast speed, so my cursing would probably be slow. But my tree is already nice enough for a summoner, all minion nodes are either right on my path or only 1-2 points ahead. ( templar).

Zynx

I got the bulk of my chaos trading alts, chroms, and jewellers. It's a huge hassle though, and I've mostly stopped doing it, since I'm not really buying anything over 4c anyways.

I wished the fireworks weren't expendable. A neat keepsake for year one folks.

p.s., as I was typing this, I had flashbacks of WoW. Hmm ...

feelsgoodman.gif moments everywhere with my new build on invasion.

Watching Cruel Piety melt in seconds makes me feel unstoppable.

Will probably die in Merciless very soon.

Patch 1.1.2

Version 1.1.2:
Content and Features:
  • Added support for checkpointing. When you die in a non-hardcore league, you can choose between reviving in town or reviving at the last checkpoint. Checkpoints are made when you enter new areas or use internal teleporters within an area.
  • Added a new corrupted Skill Gem - Vaal Storm Call: Sets a marker at a location. While the marker remains, lightning strikes random enemies near it, dealing damage to them. After a short duration, a large bolt of lightning strikes the marker, dealing damage around it. When this happens, it will also set off the lightning at any other markers from this skill.
  • Added a new Intelligence skill - Glacial Cascade: Icicles emerge from the ground in a series of small bursts, each damaging enemies caught in their area.
  • Glacial Cascade is first available to the Witch, Templar, Shadow and Scion from "The Caged Brute" in Normal difficulty.
  • Added a new Dexterity/Intelligence Support Gem - Block Chance Reduction: This is a recipe-only support gem intended to have a PVP focus. It reduces the chance to block or spell block supported skills.
  • Added five new Unique items, four of which were designed by our supporters. One of the new Uniques is a map.
  • Added two new cosmetic microtransactions: Seraph Weapon Effect and Seraph Footprint Effect.
  • New recipes have been added for the Block Chance Reduction Support Gem, and the new low level quiver unique. The recipe for Cartographer's Chisels has been extended.
  • Ground Slam's visual effect has been updated.
  • 3d art has been added for the following items: Atziri's Splendour, Rearguard, Drillneck and the alternate art Blackgleam.
  • Added two new achievements: "Hostile Territory" and "Behold My Army".
  • Introduced two new Rogue Exiles: a Templar and a Scion.
  • Introduced two new Invasion Bosses into the pool of Invasion Bosses.
  • Added a new Map Mod - Antagonist's: Rare Monsters each have a Nemesis mod.
  • Several corrupted secret area bosses and Invasion bosses have new visual effects.
  • Flamebearers in the Sceptre of God now have a new golden skin.

Balance:
  • Substantially rebalanced Invasion bosses, including changing their abilities. Many of the more extreme ones are now easier. Corrupted secret area bosses and Rogue Exiles were also updated in this process.
  • Arc and Vaal Arc have had their damage increased by 60%. Arc and Vaal Arc can now no longer chain back to the same target immediately, but must now bounce one more time. Arc now increases in chain counts as the gem increases in level.
  • Poison Arrow's damage has been increased by 8% at level 1, scaling up to an increase of 75% at level 15 of the gem.
  • Reduced Cleave penalty from -30% to -20%.
  • Shockwave Totem's pulses have been sped up from 0.75 seconds to 0.60 seconds each.
  • Arctic Breath's damage has been increased by 42% at level 1, up to an increase of 95% at level 15.
  • Flesh Offering now grants 30% attack, movement and cast speed at level 1, up to 40% at level 21 of the gem.
  • Glacial Hammer now has specific PvP raw scaling, so that it does 30% less damage in PvP situations. This is on top of existing PvP scaling.
  • Smoke Mine no longer teleports your minions with you when detonated.
  • Monster versions of Molten Shell now require more damage to set off at higher levels.
  • The "of Fracturing" map mod now gives 30% additional quantity and has been made rarer.
  • Undying Evangelists now appear less frequently within their packs.
  • Undying Evangelists' Proximity Shields have a shorter duration, and they use it less often.
  • Atziri now removes curses correctly when she enters her mirror phase.
  • Increased the drop rate of rare Vaal Fragments.
  • Reduced the drop rate of Vaal Orbs.
  • Some Rogue Exiles now use Vaal skills.

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a bug where using Desecrate in the Eternal Laboratory in the Invasion League would generate different monster corpses than in other leagues.
  • Fixed a bug where Chain and Fork did not work correctly with Vaal Power Siphon.
  • Fixed a bug where Dominus in the Palace Map did not correctly trigger his monster spawners when entering his second phase.
  • Fixed a bug where aura skills linked with totems and trigger gems could be cast manually in addition to being triggered.
  • Fixed a bug where Demigod's Bounty had no vendor sell price.
  • Fixed a bug with Strongbox monster spawning where some monsters would fail to be created.
  • Claw Nodes in the Shadow and Ranger areas have had their art corrected.
  • Fixed a bug where Exiles that were supposed to have the Resolute Technique Keystone were not always hitting.
  • Fixed a bug in Capture the Flag where, if a player died while converted, he would resurrect on the wrong team.
  • Unset Ring's 2D Art has been corrected to not be the same as that of the Voideye unique.
  • Fixed a bug where you could not get to The Desecrated Shrine in Descent races.
  • Fixed a bug where Sarn Arena announcements did not attribute minion kills correctly.
  • Fixed various issues with the sync and functionality of Atziri's Flameblast.

Goodbye bubble summoners.

Haven't died in Merciless yet, but new balance changes, new exiles, new invasion bosses seem a bit scary.

Introduced two new Rogue Exiles: a Templar and a Scion.

So, speaking of this, there's a Vaal boss I haven't been able to figure out, I was hoping you guys know a good strat:

Elemental Weakness, Lightning Warp, Unrighteous Fire

That guy goes nuts all over us. Even with ~68% fire resist, he'll hit for a significant amount of damage and, if not mitigated, quickly get the rest. I can attribute 16 deaths to him alone in the last three days (two separate Vaal zones, one of which only said there were two extra "unique" bosses, but it really meant to say two of "him" was in it)

KKRT00

Welcome back to the thread! (and GAF :D)

Yep, that was two long months :) No more posting in delicate threads though, its not worth it, even if there are idiots to correct.

But i sold today a shield for 4.5 exalts, so i'm happy
even though it worth more, but screw weeks of waiting and spamming :p

V_Arnold

Yep, that was two long months :) No more posting in delicate threads though, its not worth it, even if there are idiots to correct.

But i sold today a shield for 4.5 exalts, so i'm happy
even though it worth more, but screw weeks of waiting and spamming :p

Was it an Aegis Aurora? I got one in Domination, first week or something similar. Sold it for 2ex, found out about the price moments later :D

Man, I want to make money.

Hopefully I can make some in Invasion. I have a pretty good build going on, and hopefully the nerfs mean the one shot titty bitch is gone.

Zynx

Wow, this thread's gotten quiet lately. Anyways, there's a few things I want to clarify, if anyone can enlighten me.

If I block something and get blockstunned, is it still possible to block other attacks during the animation? And life gain on hit is instant, not like leech, right? Is there any way to transfer life gain on hit to ES, or is it impossible?

Top Bottom