• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

This all played out quite childishly. The customer would have been better off without the whole "You look like a douche and welcome to the internet" bit but he really got guttered by the guy.

All I know is that I would be livid if I was trying to get a straight answer out of a company and they basically tell me to cancel my order because they are doing me a favor. Like Im being ungrateful for expecting what was promised when I paid upfront.

In his basement...

Who needs PAX?

3satk.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Amusix said:
Ocean's PR said:
...so put on your big boy hat and wait it out like everyone else. The benefit is a token of our appreaciation for everyone no one is special including you or any first time buyer . Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe I’ll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself. Have a good day Dan.
So, yeah, Dave lost it after this response, but this is after a company took his money, failed to meet their promise of an 'early December' deadline, then lied to him, then failed to deliver any useful dates with Christmas coming, and then offered discounts to other customers.

Seriously. Leave it to Gaffers to put everyone on the same level and even side with that douchebag.
I'd be surprised if I hadn't been on GAF long enough, but after the RROD/PSN/Other OS/Bethesda/Uncharted3/Capcom's PSN DRM/etc fiascos I know I can count on many gaffers to leave me completely appalled and in disbelief at their way of thinking! Thanks, you're
NOT
the reason I've still faith in humanity!

"that Dave manchild/crybaby" WTF

i thought PA could deal with all the traffic, i just imagine rober khoo being very angry on the phone with the web server people and in the next episode of the penny arcade show he runs through new applicants to be the PA server through a grueling tests of strength.

KageMaru

This thread has made this work day fly by, thank you GAF. Though it has also made my co-workers look at me like I'm crazy =p

I lost it at the arrow in the knee tweet. lol

give him a dictionary

One of the best replies in this whole thread, kudos good sir. I wouldn't hesitate to hand deliver a dictionary to their office myself if I could, just to see the expression on their faces. =p

Volimar

@pvponline Scott Kurtz
Wow. Looks like demand for our latest Blam is CRUSHING the Penny Arcade site. Sorry guys.

Wow. I'd say he's obviously kidding, but he's pretty full of himself, so he might believe it.

FStop7

Banned
This all played out quite childishly. The customer would have been better off without the whole "You look like a douche and welcome to the internet" bit but he really got guttered by the guy.

All I know is that I would be livid if I was trying to get a straight answer out of a company and they basically tell me to cancel my order because they are doing me a favor. Like Im being ungrateful for expecting what was promised when I paid upfront.

Corporate guy seems pretty awful, but his responses don't seem *that* out of line with things the customer said/did first.

"I'll cancel my preorders and use the apology coupon to get a discount" -> "That's against the rules and we're backordered so you wouldn't get any if you tried that"

"I'll email my favorite media outlets. Welcome to the internet, bitch" -> "Nobody will listen to you because you're just a little kid and I'm a big shot, bitch"

Then Mike decided to "calm" the situation by banning corporate guy from PAX, getting into a pissing match, telling him he's going to write an article about him, and then demanding that he stop talking only *after* his head apparently cools and he asks for peace?

Just to reiterate, this corporate guy seems like a grade-A douche who has no place running a company let alone working PR or customer service, but it seems like *everybody* could've handled that a fair bit better.

As I posted in the thread gaming-side, everyone comes off poorly in this exchange. Dave (WITH A V!) comes across as a petulant manchild, the PR rep is just terrible, and the Penny Arcade dude appeals to his own authority. It's a clusterfuck of stupid.

To clarify, do not take this out on the makers of the Avenger, N-Control.

This is the result of the poor work of Paul Christoforo and Ocean Marketing.

What would make my day would be if Penny Arcade helped out N-Control and helped in some way to hook them up with a half-decent PR company. They're trying to do something noble like make controls for handicapped kids for chrissakes.

Yeah people should just try to destroy his career, not his private life.

In other news, the avenger is currently being amazon-bombed.

But what fun would there be without a masive, sweaty Internet dog pile on top of some dipshit like Ocean marketing guy?

I feel bad that Dave (with a V) may or may not be out some money, and even worse for the actual makers of this device in that their own reputation is being trashed and their product apparently has some value for handicapped gamers.

The email exchange with Mike really does come off as kinda bi-polar, it's WEIRD. It's like Mike is getting a reply from a different person each time.

ElRenoRaven

The email exchange with Mike really does come off as kinda bi-polar, it's WEIRD. It's like Mike is getting a reply from a different person each time.

That's the craziest part. It's like the guy is bi-polar as all hell. One second he's like oh cool I love that site. Then he's all like that site is total shit. The dude needs some serious meds I think.

Foffy

Banned
Oh wow...this is uh...quite a trainwreck, I see.

The parts that get me is both Twitter accounts are spelled wrong. I don't mean to sound like an asshole here, but with all of this going on, how the fuck does this person have such a job?

zethren

Banned
Epic just tweeted:

Officially licensed @GearsofWar3 controllers are only available through our partners, Xbox and Mad Catz.

So seems like Paul doesn't actually have that connection with wax Cliffy B.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The best unearthed bits of info for me are the roid rage tendencies. It all makes sense now.

His poor son, good god. Don't let your dad review your English homework.

Looks like EPIC pulled out. "Officially licensed @GearsofWar3 controllers are only available through our partners, Xbox and Mad Catz."

I also love that the old twitter account was taken and now being used as a force for good. Circle of life.

IceMarker

Every time I'm reminded he has a son I die a little inside. Poor kid.

I really can't wait to hear a response from this from Paul. Probably won't but hey any publicity is good!

Top Bottom