• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

zethren

Banned
So is there a reason we haven't heard from the actual maker of the controller? You'd think they'd want to say something at this point or at least try to distance themselves from the marketing dude?

Don't you see?

The marketting dude is the actual maker of the controller. With the financial backing of the Mayor of Boston, he's a one man operation.

I tried out the Avenger at PAX East. It seemed a little needlessly complicated, at least for an able-handed gamer. I did like the straps underneath which shortened the throw needed to use the triggers.

This debacle reminds me of a situation with the Triton Labs Afterburner. Remember that install-it-yourself internal light for the Game Boy Advance? Also a small start-up invention, and let's take a moment to thank that guy for indirectly prodding Nintendo to make the GBA SP. I was a moderator at the official forums, and a poster there offered an installation service. Many people sent him their GBAs and money. While he initially did a nice dust-free job on them, he advertised his service everywhere and the orders quickly backed up. People started to complain and he adopted the same apologetic/belligerent attitude. Legal action threatened, Internet detective work, actual police got involved. It turns out that during all this, there was a personal family tragedy (newborn baby SIDS), and he essentially disappeared, so I'm not sure of the final results. Triton Labs shut down the Afterburner after the SP came out and became a music production site.

eBay said:
Favorite Books
I dont read books unless I have to

That explains a lot. Also, his one negative feedback which was added yesterday:

dont sell item you dont have in stock been wating since nov 21 filed complaint Buyer: blu98cvc ( 160) Dec-26-11 14:42
The Avenger Controller (#230687329514)

Pete Rock

You deserve to go out of business if that's what you consider appropriate treatment of a single customer, no matter how belligerent.

You deserve a lot worse if you're an internet-markettar-toughguy, wow...

Majukun

i'm sure if he loses his job,it's not for what he did,but because he's been caught doing it...for them we are all just a bunch of crying kids

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't you see?

The marketting dude is the actual maker of the controller. With the financial backing of the Mayor of Boston, he's a one man operation.

OceanMarketting-1.jpg

How had this not been posted here?

Just wow... this isn't the fist time he has done this to a customer:

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?p=329158
Nice find

"Are you making a threat to me and Avenger Controller , Internet threats are not taken lightly and our attorneys will have a field day with you for a defamation suit and threatening us with blackmail , simply ask for a refund tonto its no big deal lol. Otherwise make your threats and watch what happens to you with local and federal authorities from your country and ours. Thanks so much for your time we sent out the avenger its in your country when it hits customs thats your responsibility so find it or your local store carries them toysdownunder.com call them ask for an avenger and have him skype paul and ill send him a new unit. work it out let me know just be smart"

"OK so do it , then Your a nobody . Were a Major company Selling to 8 countries and all over the United states and Canada lol, Go ahead with your press by the way did you ship your defective controller back ? I have people in Australia Selling my controller retail who cares what you say call the news and the press alert channel 5 and Fox news this is gonna be a breaking story... Do you think your the first to bitch and complain and talk smack hahah Im not gonna call any police there is no need Love the free press your gonna give us though you know what they say any press is good press so join the handful of other losers and im looking forward to it hopefully it drives in a few more sales controversy always does. So if your all fired up and have nothing better to do with your life then knock your self out partner ride wallaby till and legs fall out and go walkabout. Like I said im not wasting another dollar until you ship your unit back to us your not keeping 2 Avengers follow policy and if your afraid to call a store in your own county that has avengers in stock then your a weirdo you have avengers there no customs no tax. Call Toys Down under www.toysdownunder.com and ill tell them give you a unit or go on your childish rampage. Thanks for the entertainment im not wasting anymore time with you. Ive had enough laughs and given you tons of solutions and your controller was shipped."

"LOL we have to approve those comments they dont show up you turd hahaha!!!
the only thing you did was **** up my feedback you punk , oh well the other guy is removing his I sent him a brand new avenger ! you can leave yours Ill call ebay tomorrow and handle it and show them the emails and your threats feedback will be removed stat thanks have a good one"

Have a good day, Dan.

My absolute worst customer service experience has been with, of all things I would have expected, Barnes and Noble. Maybe I should explain my situation to Penny Arcade, seems they make things happen. ;p

spirity

To put the whole customer relations thing into some sort of focus.

I ordered a new pc from a popular UK retailer (not saying the name, I don't want to look like I'm shilling). They built it for me and overclocked it. They pushed forward the date because I requested it, 2 weeks before Christmas. I didn't want hard drives or an o/s as I was supplying my own. They asked if I wanted the necessary cables thrown in, and routed (no charge of course). I said sure. They said they didn't have my graphics card of choice, but because I was desperate to get the rig before Christmas, they sourced it elsewhere, it was more expensive but they didn't pass that charge on to me.

They gave me a delivery date. On the day of delivery, they were sending me texts to my phone telling me what time I could expect the courier. It came bang on the time I was told it would, between 9am and 10am. No waiting in all day.

They followed it up a week later with an email wishing me a happy christmas, and asking was everything in working order.

That is how you dole out customer service, and they are now my go-to retailer of choice. I won't go anywhere else, even if its cheaper there.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The sad part about this is: no, he didn't. Once the initial uproar dies down, he probably insured a sweet gig at a more cut-throat type of PR agency that sees this type of behavior as desirable. And before anyone starts calling me names or feels the need to belittle my intelligence, I have two words:

Bobby Kotick.

Remember, in the business world, being a mouthbreathing shitpile isn't a bad thing, it's a bullet point on your resume.

To say that Kotick wipes his ass with people like this would be an insult to his toilet paper. At age 27 Kotick owned a quarter share in Activision and was their CEO for 17 years, overseeing what could be argued to be the most successful company in the industry's history. This guy has a culinary degree and uses his company's official website to sell sports memorabilia on eBay.

I have found that while some customers are never satisfied and enjoy being angry, most of them them understand things happen. Treat them like a human and actually follow up with them and you'll win them over, even if you can't change the situation.

Exactly.
I have done some customers support myself some years back and I must say I quite enjoyed it overall; sure, sometimes you have to deal with some real nuisances trying to give you a hard time, but if you're honest, straight and sympathetic, most of people do understand you're a reliable person who'll try to help them as much as possible and they will just be content with it.

In any case if your job involves PR you're supposed to communicate always in a professional flawless manner, no matter what, since you're paid for it.

Top Bottom