• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

So is there a reason we haven't heard from the actual maker of the controller? You'd think they'd want to say something at this point or at least try to distance themselves from the marketing dude?

Assuming he's still a teacher, there is a very real possibility that he's on vacation somewhere and has no clue what's transpiring.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
To put the whole customer relations thing into some sort of focus.

I ordered a new pc from a popular UK retailer (not saying the name, I don't want to look like I'm shilling). They built it for me and overclocked it. They pushed forward the date because I requested it, 2 weeks before Christmas. I didn't want hard drives or an o/s as I was supplying my own. They asked if I wanted the necessary cables thrown in, and routed (no charge of course). I said sure. They said they didn't have my graphics card of choice, but because I was desperate to get the rig before Christmas, they sourced it elsewhere, it was more expensive but they didn't pass that charge on to me.

They gave me a delivery date. On the day of delivery, they were sending me texts to my phone telling me what time I could expect the courier. It came bang on the time I was told it would, between 9am and 10am. No waiting in all day.

They followed it up a week later with an email wishing me a happy christmas, and asking was everything in working order.

That is how you dole out customer service, and they are now my go-to retailer of choice. I won't go anywhere else, even if its cheaper there.

I know you don't want to shill, but was this Novatech? I've never been more astounded with CS than the sheer joy and generosity I've experienced with them!

Dreweyes

Made this for fun... :)

1BTQW.png

Shiloa

I ordered a new pc from a popular UK retailer (not saying the name, I don't want to look like I'm shilling). They built it for me and overclocked it. They pushed forward the date because I requested it, 2 weeks before Christmas. I didn't want hard drives or an o/s as I was supplying my own. They asked if I wanted the necessary cables thrown in, and routed (no charge of course). I said sure. They said they didn't have my graphics card of choice, but because I was desperate to get the rig before Christmas, they sourced it elsewhere, it was more expensive but they didn't pass that charge on to me.

They gave me a delivery date. On the day of delivery, they were sending me texts to my phone telling me what time I could expect the courier. It came bang on the time I was told it would, between 9am and 10am. No waiting in all day.

They followed it up a week later with an email wishing me a happy christmas, and asking was everything in working order.

That is how you dole out customer service, and they are now my go-to retailer of choice. I won't go anywhere else, even if its cheaper there.
I wanna know who it was now...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No worries, this will be blown over in a week.

:)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
OMG. Just took a look at the amazon ratings again. It's flying downward.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenger-Xbox-360-Adapter/dp/B0051JSJ44/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

lol Holy shit, same on PS3 page too, hope he is enjoying this free PR, since no one in Amazon.com will buy his controller with these reviews and rating.

Just wow... this isn't the fist time he has done this to a customer:

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?p=329158

I have people in Australia Selling my controller retail

So he got the mayor of Boston and EatChildren.

jk-mox

Neo Member
This may be the ultimate test of the idiom "there's no such thing as bad publicity." Someone check in with this guy in a year and see what he's up to.

FStop7

Banned
So a known douchebag (Mike K from Penny Arcade) wades into e-battle with some other douchebags? K.

I hope the guy gets his money back, but wow.

Salaadin

Ive had good experiences with some customer relations too and I feel the same way. A lot of the time, Ill shoot off an email with a simple question or concern and I end up with MUCH more than I wanted without even requesting it. Some places are just willing to go above and beyond for their customer and that makes me want to stick by them.

I also understand that mistakes happen and screw ups/delays/pushbacks/etc do occur. What this guy did is beyond me. How can anyone respond the way he did (and still does) and think they are in the right?

That said, this is all hilarious and to see this blowing up the way it is so fun to watch.

oneHeero

"Currently unavailable". I'm sure it was still for sale earlier today.

No, the OP email exchange is about how they've been sold old and backordered for so long even after people have paid full price for them. So I'm positive it wasnt for sale earlier.

This has been so much fun to read, cant wait to see him start replying or updating.

No, the OP email exchange is about how they've been sold old and backordered for so long even after people have paid full price for them. So I'm positive it wasnt for sale earlier.

This has been so much fun to read, cant wait to see him start replying or updating.

The PS3 one wasn't available, but I thought I saw a price next to the 360 model.

Anyhow, you can still order in the UK...

Is this ordeal why the PA site is down/running terribly slow?

Yeah, it's Slashdotted itself.

What's funny is that this is the first thing in years to make me really feel bad for the PA guys. I frankly have never found more than 2 strips in the last 10 years to be funny; PAX is certainly what they should be remembered for.

Maaseru

Banned
Wow just wow!!!

The press should just focus on the fact this company makes "handicap-able controllers" and that they are ripping of handicapped people by producing a late-arriving bebop-like breaking crap. At the same time show all emails available from the douchebag.

I know the controller is not just for handicapped people but it's not the first time the "normal" press misinterprets gaming so they could do it for a good cause for once. Because if this douchebag is caught sending this types of emails and acting like this when he sells this crappy mess, while telling lies and cheating "handicapped" people. Then he is fckd I think.

The company I work for sells electronics (not game related) and sure enough, manufacturing issues happen. However, if I ever answered one, just one customer like that in an email, phone call or whatever, my ass would be on the street. If the powers that be condoned that behavior then we would all be on the street.

I have found that while some customers are never satisfied and enjoy being angry, most of them them understand things happen. Treat them like a human and actually follow up with them and you'll win them over, even if you can't change the situation.

You deserve to go out of business if that's what you consider appropriate treatment of a single customer, no matter how belligerent.

You deserve a lot worse if you're an internet-markettar-toughguy, wow...

I just remembered an incident from when I worked in the customer claims department of an insurance company. I opened a letter from someone (I don't think they were even a customer, just someone responding to a direct-mail ad), and they were clearly insane. Misspellings, ramblings, paranoia, etc. I pinned the letter on my cubicle wall and forgot about it. My supervisor happened to notice it and he got really agitated about it and took the letter to contact the person. Not angry with me, but didn't want anyone, anywhere to have a negative impression of the company at all.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wax Leo is at the top of my list of "People who are more capable market(t)ing professionals than this Ocean guy."

Top Bottom