• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Got any links? I don't follow PA at all.

While Penny Arcade is a larger operation now, what with their semiannual convention and their charity, the two main guys behind it have always been Tycho (the smart one) and Gabe (the dumb one, but he draws really well). Most of the important site content besides art is posted by Tycho, but Gabe posts childish things on their website from time to time. I just shrug and say it's Gabe being Gabe.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I don't understand why Paul would do this. Someone give me some theories.

douchebaggery.

Wow, what a crazy thread I missed. I feel kind of bad for the actual Avenger Controller guys. They're getting shit all over because they made a bad call in who they hired to represent their product, not because they did anything actively wrong and worthy of the abuse they're getting on their Amazon page and such.

This Paul guy is an amazing and despicable character, though. I kind of want to follow him around with a camera.

If anything, I don't feel like this has been about the avenger controller, but more about Paul. I don't think this will hurt the controller that much tbh.

I think they do... I bet they just don't give a damn, and I'm okay with that. ROCK ON PA. Burn this mother down.

But see, that's the thing here...PA isn't doing anything at all and has no power to stop any of this. Mike wasn't even the first to break the story. He posted publicly available contact info for the guy, and it's been in the internet's hands ever since. Mike didn't need to do anything, the dude hoisted himself on his own petard.

I think the real victim is the inventor who is having to watch his product he created with good intentions be tarnished because one guy behaves like a jackass.

Why didn't he step in 12 months ago when this dude started screwing people around? Especially since they were charging people 6 months before delivering the product. Whole thing seems shady.

Wow, I feel really bad for this guy. He's obviously contrite yet the internet mob is still calling for his head. I can't imagine the stress he's under, with a friend's recent death, the arrival of a newborn child, and now this petty bullshit.

Congratulations, Penny Arcade, you put a man out of work and dragged his name through the mud. Hopefully his life isn't ruined over a simple mistake.

There are some serious legal charges that can be brought up here, Penny Arcade could easily be set up for intent for defamation of character. This was really a private matter, and I don't think a blog site should have posted it in the first place. Especially when it seems obvious that the post is an attempt is too cause a negative reaction from future purchasers.

Please don't discuss the law, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Wow, I feel really bad for this guy. He's obviously contrite yet the internet mob is still calling for his head. I can't imagine the stress he's under, with a friend's recent death, the arrival of a newborn child, and now this petty bullshit.

Congratulations, Penny Arcade, you put a man out of work and dragged his name through the mud. Hopefully his life isn't ruined over a simple mistake.

Either this is a joke post or you didn't pay very close attention to the details of this story.

Being a long term crook, liar and bully isn't really a mistake.

Philia

Congrats for not reading the thread! The man's a known liar, other details as being his stresses are a bluff considering he've trolled customers before.

inky

While the wrath of the internet is pretty fucking insane this wasn't "a simple mistake". This was a fucking douche who thought he could go through life getting away with it until he couldn't.

Are you trolling or did I miss a piece of this story. At what point was he contrite? I mean I agree that the internet mob more often than not acts like a bunch of butthurt man children (my own name not withstanding), but with the exception of a few, I can for the most part understand the reaction.

While the wrath of the internet is pretty fucking insane this wasn't "a simple mistake". This was a fucking douche who thought he could go through life getting away with it until he couldn't.

Unless you were personally effected by the fiasco, you're coming off a bit pitch forky.

"I'm sorry I pissed off someone who had the ability to publicize my assholishness" is a clear sign of contrition.

My bad
x2

Paul Christoforo is associated with Afternoon Artists Inc. with the role of Secretary. Paul Christoforo has a relationship with David Kotkin and is located in Miami, FL.
Source: Florida Department of State last refreshed Saturday, October 22, 2011

See above

Roto13

Are you kidding? Penny Arcade made the first bit of his nonsense public. Then he didn't stop. He kept going. And going. And doing the wrong thing. And being an asshole. And just completely melting down and acting like an idiot.

He abso-fucking-lutely deserves to lose his job, have his name dragged through the mud, and if his life is completely ruined now, he ruined it himself.

Seriously, I love this story, because it never ends. He just makes bad decision after bad decision and it keeps blowing up in his face and then he follows every failure up with more bad decisions and it's just never going to end. It's like he's incapable of doing the sane, sensible thing. Actually, I don't know what he could possibly do at this point to make anything better. He's dug himself a hole so deep he's being burnt alive by the earth's molten core.

K' Dash

I was just reading this, firing him was the least his employer could do, and the public apology was the least HE could do, justice has been served in my eyes at least.

Luigi87

I certainly hope you're as high as your avatar right now.

inky

Unless you were personally effected by the fiasco, you're coming off a bit pitch forky.

Do I need to be personally affected to recognize this guy is a douchebag? His email exchange, post email attitude and his plagiarized site should only confirm it. It's just been an amusing sight, that's all.

Card Boy

Banned
I was just reading this, firing him was the least his employer could do, and the public apology was the least HE could do, justice has been served in my eyes at least.

While it may be all done and dusted the fact of the matter is the manufacturs of the Avenger Controller are the ones who ultimatly suffer as a result of Pauls and Ocean Marketings involment.

Roto13

If his apology had amounted to something more than "I'm sorry I tried to bully someone higher up on the food chain than me, please make the internet go away now," I might say he doesn't deserve any more ire.

The fact that he may have completely and permanently screwed over a business whose only mistake was hiring a dumbass doesn't help.

Hero

I'm not going to feel bad for this guy who had every opportunity to correct this before it got to this level.

At the same time, it's kind of ridiculous how PA (or rather Gabe) got involved without checking all the facts first as there may have been damage to the actual product makers. I'm all for standing up for the little guy but if you're going to send your internet army after someone make sure it's the right person and done the right way.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I just read this. Pretty funny. That Paul guy is great. He's like the Charlie Sheen of Cuatomer service reps, just when you think he's hit rock bottom, he keeps diggin.

There are some serious legal charges that can be brought up here, Penny Arcade could easily be set up for intent for defamation of character. This was really a private matter, and I don't think a blog site should have posted it in the first place. Especially when it seems obvious that the post is an attempt is too cause a negative reaction from future purchasers.

Even if they could sue for that, the guy gave them written consent for them posting the e-mail chain on Penny Arcade.

Cruzader

Banned
I'm not going to feel bad for this guy who had every opportunity to correct this before it got to this level.

At the same time, it's kind of ridiculous how PA (or rather Gabe) got involved without checking all the facts first as there may have been damage to the actual product makers. I'm all for standing up for the little guy but if you're going to send your internet army after someone make sure it's the right person and done the right way.
Didn't know PA had an army ready for a virtual attack. Paul offended the "little guy". (he mocked one customer as being one out of a million or thousand like saying his voice/opinion is jack)Who do you think the Internet will side with with that elitis attitude while being a total fake?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Has this been posted already?
PR Trolling "Ocean Stratagy" Out of Business, Avenger Controller Maker Asks For Forgiveness

The PR tempest in a teapot born of one misused gamer and shockingly bad customer support seems to have mostly run its course, leaving a one-man PR firm in apparent shambles and a unique video game controller accessory struggling to survive.

The issue came to light today when emails between Kotaku reader Dave and Paul Christoforo, the president of PR firm Ocean Distribution, were sent around to a number of sites including Kotaku. In them, Christoforo antagonizes, name-calls and belittles customer Dave after being asked why his order for an Avenger controller was delayed.

The obnoxious response gets worse once Christoforo begins name-dropping websites including Kotaku, IGN and Penny Arcade. Eventually, Christoforo seemed to go nuclear, calling out most of the sites he originally said he was pals with and name calling folks including Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulik who proceeded to ban Christoforo permanently from the Penny Arcade Expo.

As news of the exchange began to spread, gamers began to attack Christoforo and the Avenger controller.

Earlier today we reached both Avenger Controller maker N-Control and The Hand Media, the folks who handled marketing for the controller prior to Christoforo, for comment.

Christoforo, we're told, is no longer working with N-Control. Effective today, the company is now doing all of their marketing with a new marketing manager who works directly for the company.

"We apologize for our poor representation from Ocean Marketing," David Kotkin, the owner and inventor of Avenger Controller told Kotaku. "We wanted to give Paul a chance. He was rough around the edges, but he had drive and enthusiasm. However his behavior was unprovoked, unnecessary, and unforgivable. We are no longer represented by Ocean Marketing."

Brandon Leidel, CEO and Director of Operations for The HAND Media, Inc., wasn't as kind about Christoforo and his outburst.

Leidel said that his company was initially hired to market the new controller, something they did up until earlier this year. He said that The Hand Media found themselves increasingly having to deal with customer flak over delayed shipping, and that it was becoming overwhelming.

"Then Paul came in and said 'I know this guy at Gamestop. I know this guy at Best Buy," Leidel said. "They saw dollar signs and decided to start working with him. We decided to walk away from this because it was a nightmare dealing with their problems and this guy Paul."

Leidel describes Christoforo as a "rogue marketing guy" someone who operated without any rules and never checked in with The Hand Media about what he was doing.

"He was representing the company in a way I wasn't comfortable with," Leidel said. "I brought this up a few times and said I cant have this guy representing the company and not have any control."

Eventually, Leidel decided to walk away from what he called a lucrative marketing contract over Christoforo's behavior.

N-Control's new marketing manager, Eli Schwartz, spent today trying to do damage control and deal with a flood of what he believes are unwarranted negative ratings for the Avenger on Amazon.

"At this point I'm just trying to point out that, what was said was someone who we hired, what he said should not reflect on the product itself," he said. "So far the Amazon rating on the Avenger has gone from 4 and 1/2 to 1 star in around 8 hours. None of the reviews are true, they all just appeared today out of pure hate trolling."

Schwartz added via Twitter that Christoforo is now "out of business."

A search through Florida's public Department of State Division of Corporations database reveals that Kotkin and Christoforo are listed as officers in a company called Afternoon Artists. Afternoon Artists was registered this July.

Schwartz said he has been receiving a lot of questions about that connection.

"David (Kotkin) said it was a LLC for a charity that was never actually created," he said. "He bought the name thinking Paul would be involved, but nothing came of it. The company never actually existed."

The real victim here appears to be The Avenger controller, a product, that while slightly over-priced, was both an interesting new way to game and a solution for some disabled gamers.

Hellraizah

I don't know but, it seems like a very well crafted publicity stunt to me.... or maybe not, but it's gonna be real good for this third party accessory that I wasn't even aware of.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really don't care if Gabe is seen as a bully here...Paul deserved to lose his job, and should not work for a PR firm ever again. It's a shame that the makers of the Avenger get hurt in the process, but if we're to believe what Brandon is saying, they had plenty of warning.

Hero

Didn't know PA had an army ready for a virtual attack. Paul offended the "little guy". (he mocked one customer as being one out of a million or thousand like saying his voice/opinion is jack)Who do you think the Internet will side with with that elitis attitude while being a total fake?

If that were true then why would it be necessary to reveal e-mails on their website to their general viewers? Instead of being mature and trying to settle the dispute between the named parties and those involved they bring it out to the open for the internet to do things like bring down the average rating of the product on Amazon to a 1 star rating out of spite from a PR guy that no longer represents the company.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Has this been posted already?

If true, this makes me feel less bad for the company that manufactures the Avengers. It seems they decided to hire this Paul guy because he was cheaper and due to his phantom connections. When the Hand Group decided to bail, they didn't bother replacing them will a full PR company. Instead they let this guy Paul run their PR business single handedly, and without getting customer feedback on how he was performing.

I get the feeling they essentially just wanted someone to deal with their customers and take them off their hands. The Basil Fawlty school of customer management. Not really the best idea, and it was bound to blow up in their face at some point.

Makoto

Leidel describes Christoforo as a "rogue marketing guy" someone who operated without any rules and never checked in with The Hand Media about what he was doing.
"Paul is a loose cannon marketer who doesn't play by the rules."

I don't know but, it seems like a very well crafted publicity stunt to me.... or maybe not, but it's gonna be real good for this third party accessory that I wasn't even aware of.

Depends on if those that followed this story continued to follow it up to this point. With the lolz gone, really is a coin flip how this plays out. Amazon ratings alone are damage.

Mxrz

Almost felt bad for him until I saw that. The guy will probably turn out to be a mentally challenged, roid-abuser, but he brought it on himself. Evolution works.

Also $50 for that? Pfffftb. The company going to the "We help disabled kids, too!" bit after originally aiming for the CoD/gamestop money seems a bit shallow. Sucks for the guy who made it at any rate.

"We apologize for our poor representation from Ocean Marketing," David Kotkin, the owner and inventor of Avenger Controller told Kotaku. "We wanted to give Paul a chance. He was rough around the edges, but he had drive and enthusiasm. However his behavior was unprovoked, unnecessary, and unforgivable. We are no longer represented by Ocean Marketing."

Brandon Leidel, CEO and Director of Operations for The HAND Media, Inc., wasn't as kind about Christoforo and his outburst.

Leidel said that his company was initially hired to market the new controller, something they did up until earlier this year. He said that The Hand Media found themselves increasingly having to deal with customer flak over delayed shipping, and that it was becoming overwhelming.

"Then Paul came in and said 'I know this guy at Gamestop. I know this guy at Best Buy," Leidel said. "They saw dollar signs and decided to start working with him. We decided to walk away from this because it was a nightmare dealing with their problems and this guy Paul."
Well this doesn't paint Kotkin in the best light.

Hopefully they go back to the original focus of the product and promote it as something to help less abled gamers feel more comfortable with their hobby.

Top Bottom